PDA

View Full Version : Spyder in the shop

greatrides
12-31-2015, 07:20 PM
So last year I bought a new 2014 sts se5! It was my second spyder....first one was 2012 rs se5!!! With in 3 weeks it was back in the shop and over the next 5 months or so it spent 50 days in the shop for tons of different issues. So I have set another apt for the whole month of January!!! The sad thing is I know it won't be fixed by February and the work won't be done right. So I will keep it short but please wish me luck. Bad dealers suck and I wish Brp would step up on this one. :banghead:

Chupaca
12-31-2015, 08:43 PM
Wish you luck and even a :pray:. But why not move on to a better dealer or get brp involved. ?? Seems you have cause....:banghead::banghead:

greatrides
12-31-2015, 08:57 PM
I have tried 3 dealers and I have called Brp to many times!! So we can only hope this time will be the last time it will be in the shop!!! Love the spyder line I feel they are amazing machines and I have every mile I've put on them!!

Dudley
12-31-2015, 10:40 PM
If you could share some of the issues you have, someone on SL might have some suggestions.
Even maybe suggesting a dealer that could fix you up.

greatrides
12-31-2015, 11:09 PM
Oil leak been repaired 2 times first noticed at first service. Left side of motor. Left front rim out of round from day one. Left front turn signal will not cancel. Info screen goes white will not start. Goes into limp mode and cruise control turns off over bumps. You can just walk up to it and start it with out hitting mode button and as it's running it will tell you to hit mode to start. Headlamp and upper plastic broken again has been fixed once before. That's the short list.... We have a dealer in my home town they broke my last spyder so they will not touch this one but the guy owns 2 more in Columbus ohio. His kids run them and there service sucks. Ie" called Brp to many times and I have been told I have no warranty to I have to take it to a shop but they never back me. Sometimes when the computer does not reset I can not opperate the radio ....it will be on but you can not turn it up or down and when you go into settings it skips right over radio settings. That's about it and it would be different if Brp and the dealer would work together to fix it. Like I said it was in the shop 50 days last year and it will be in the shop that many more I feel and not be fixed.

greatrides
12-31-2015, 11:12 PM
The dealer is ask power sports they are nice people...well some are nice they just suck. One time they told me it did not have an oil leak they said they see oil eveywhere but they don't see where it is coming from so it's not leaking. So that about it .....a list I know.

Bfromla
01-01-2016, 12:18 AM
The dealer is ask power sports they are nice people...well some are nice they just suck. One time they told me it did not have an oil leak they said they see oil eveywhere but they don't see where it is coming from so it's not leaking. So that about it .....a list I know.
Do you get the after service survey by JD power? BRP uses them to rate the dealers on lots of criteria. Could be that dealer not even in ranking to even be a part of that system:banghead: best find some one out of area & demand BRP help find out what else the poor techs screwed up on your bike. The problems listed are serious & dealer is suppose to only to allow certified techs work on for good reason. Per my understanding. Best of luck to you.

greatrides
01-08-2016, 07:39 PM
Do you get the after service survey by JD power? BRP uses them to rate the dealers on lots of criteria. Could be that dealer not even in ranking to even be a part of that system:banghead: best find some one out of area & demand BRP help find out what else the poor techs screwed up on your bike. The problems listed are serious & dealer is suppose to only to allow certified techs work on for good reason. Per my understanding. Best of luck to you.

I have in the past but it did not turn out very well. I used the shop in my home town and when the work was not done right I would use those in hopes Brp would see and maybe jump in. Long story short the service manager told me because I have them bad reviews that if I need work done my spyder would sit in the back room and he will get to it when he gets to it. He ended up telling me that I should just not come back. So now I go to another shop owned by the same owner. I wish I could say I'm making this up but I'm not...nojoke

Bfromla
01-08-2016, 08:05 PM
I have in the past but it did not turn out very well. I used the shop in my home town and when the work was not done right I would use those in hopes Brp would see and maybe jump in. Long story short the service manager told me because I have them bad reviews that if I need work done my spyder would sit in the back room and he will get to it when he gets to it. He ended up telling me that I should just not come back. So now I go to another shop owned by the same owner. I wish I could say I'm making this up but I'm not...nojoke

WOW need to relay that to BRP! Plz that is sad that any business person would think that acceptable. Ive been on the service side & even with the "know it all PITA customers" we knew not to treat like that. Sorry to hear & best to know to stay away from that all together, sad part that they might find job @ another dealer & you may still have bad dealings. (Tell BRP mgrs name) Best of luck. Thx for sharing your pain. All shops cant be pitbull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greatrides
01-08-2016, 10:10 PM
WOW need to relay that to BRP! Plz that is sad that any business person would think that acceptable. Ive been on the service side & even with the "know it all PITA customers" we knew not to treat like that. Sorry to hear & best to know to stay away from that all together, sad part that they might find job @ another dealer & you may still have bad dealings. (Tell BRP mgrs name) Best of luck. Thx for sharing your pain. All shops cant be pitbull.

You said it...need a pitbull in lancaster ohio!!

armyspydervet
01-08-2016, 10:48 PM
After dealing with all that, I would trailer it and take it to Pitbull

greatrides
01-08-2016, 11:10 PM
After dealing with all that, I would trailer it and take it to Pitbull

I can only hope they get it right this time. I talked to them yesterday and they told me they hope not to have it all month. Time will tell and I hope I don't go nuts not riding...

SpyderAnn01
01-08-2016, 11:18 PM
I can only hope they get it right this time. I talked to them yesterday and they told me they hope not to have it all month. Time will tell and I hope I don't go nuts not riding...

Sorry to hear that you are having so many troubles. When exactly did you purchase it? I ask because BRP doesn't usually get the new models out before the end of the year and the Spyders have a 2 year factory warranty so I would think you'd still be covered.

CarolinaSpyderRyder
01-09-2016, 02:49 AM
I feel your pain... just got my RSS back after 5 weeks in the shop... They told me it was ready... I rode down to pick it up... They said they test rode it multiple times, but somehow they didn't notice the throttle binding? Also said they didn't remember me telling them about it.

armyspydervet
01-09-2016, 10:32 AM

I'm in the same boat is you in a way, but I blame myself. My local dealer is HORRIBLE. But I got the Spyder bug and went to the closest place to my house and gave them my money because I had to have one. I actually didn't find Spyderlovers until after I bought the bike. Any future purchase I make will be from Pitbull in Missouri or IMotorsports in Chicago. I think I found a decent service department at a dealer in Hanover, PA but haven't been there yet. At least they were informative on the phone and prices were good.

But it in all seriousness, I'd consider taking it to a known dealer like Pitbull. From what I understand , all Pitbull maintenance is done at Lamonster Garage. Might be beneficial to cut your losses now. Either way, I feel for you and hope it works out in the end.

Chris

greatrides
01-09-2016, 12:38 PM
Sorry to hear that you are having so many troubles. When exactly did you purchase it? I ask because BRP doesn't usually get the new models out before the end of the year and the Spyders have a 2 year factory warranty so I would think you'd still be covered.

New August 2014 with a 3 year warranty ....it's just my luck with dealer and Brp. I do all my own work 20 years ase tech so I can turn a wrench or two. My first time back to dealer 3 weeks in they wanted to change the oil ....first service. I had just completed it and because I did not let them do it for a bill of $350 they sent a letter to Brp and Brp then told me no warrenty. They have .....Brp. ...has corrected there statment and has covered the first second and third round of repairs so far. Its just one more thing to deal with when your dealing with a bad dealer.

ingramwc
01-10-2016, 12:22 AM
Hey Chris (ArmySpyderVet) FYI, there is a Spyder dealer just North of Baltimore, Pete's Cycle on BelAir Rd. They have been in business for 40 years or so, some of my friends purchased bikes there. I thought that might be closer than Hanover, PA.

ralph12345678910
01-10-2016, 04:13 PM
Is there such a thing as a lemon law for spyders, if not I would park someplace and make some magic happen to it. Or get fixed this tyme and trade real quick.:banghead:

greatrides
01-10-2016, 08:16 PM
Is there such a thing as a lemon law for spyders, if not I would park someplace and make some magic happen to it. Or get fixed this tyme and trade real quick.:banghead:

Now we are talking!!!! But I could not do that.......yet:yikes:

YIRYDE
01-10-2016, 08:37 PM
I would take my Spyder to Hanover Motor Sports which isn't to far from Lancaster. I travel about 110 miles there for service and have been very satisfied. A lot of members use them with satisfactory results.

SpyDnAZ
01-11-2016, 08:34 PM
So last year I bought a new 2014 sts se5! It was my second spyder....first one was 2012 rs se5!!! With in 3 weeks it was back in the shop and over the next 5 months or so it spent 50 days in the shop for tons of different issues. So I have set another apt for the whole month of January!!! The sad thing is I know it won't be fixed by February and the work won't be done right. So I will keep it short but please wish me luck. Bad dealers suck and I wish Brp would step up on this one. :banghead:

I feel for you as I too have a 2014 ST-S SE5 that I purchased this past June and it's been in the shop three or four times since then. My issues aren't quite as bad as yours but any problems with a New off the floor vehicle is a big problem. I wish you luck.

greatrides
01-12-2016, 07:38 PM
I feel for you as I too have a 2014 ST-S SE5 that I purchased this past June and it's been in the shop three or four times since then. My issues aren't quite as bad as yours but any problems with a New off the floor vehicle is a big problem. I wish you luck.

My issues are all because I have a bad dealer to be honest with you. What kind of things are wrong with yours?

SpyDnAZ
01-13-2016, 12:52 AM
My issues are all because I have a bad dealer to be honest with you. What kind of things are wrong with yours?

My Dealer means well but I think that their Spyder knowledge is a little suspect. My Spyder was delivered on a Friday and went back the next day because it wouldn't turn off. Turns out there was a bad ignition tumbler (odd). I'm in Arizona and was constantly getting the flashing engine where the mileage is. I was told that the Spyder did that because they were made for colder weather. They said that if I keep riding then it will go off. Then the Spyder went into "limp home" mode so I take it back. This time it turns out that I have a bad thermostat. They replaced it. Now it's back in the shop because I get the flashing engine again and the coolant light on the dash. I was close to home so I came home and parked the bike. Started it up three days later and after it warms up the "limp home" mode fills the screen again and the coolant light comes on. Hopefully they resolve my issues. I really enjoy riding my Spyder and wonder if I should trade it for a 2015.

greatrides
01-13-2016, 08:50 PM
My Dealer means well but I think that their Spyder knowledge is a little suspect. My Spyder was delivered on a Friday and went back the next day because it wouldn't turn off. Turns out there was a bad ignition tumbler (odd). I'm in Arizona and was constantly getting the flashing engine where the mileage is. I was told that the Spyder did that because they were made for colder weather. They said that if I keep riding then it will go off. Then the Spyder went into "limp home" mode so I take it back. This time it turns out that I have a bad thermostat. They replaced it. Now it's back in the shop because I get the flashing engine again and the coolant light on the dash. I was close to home so I came home and parked the bike. Started it up three days later and after it warms up the "limp home" mode fills the screen again and the coolant light comes on. Hopefully they resolve my issues. I really enjoy riding my Spyder and wonder if I should trade it for a 2015.

It's sad because Brp makes a great product and everything breaks down....its sad when we have a bad dealer and it takes us away from what we love.

Frank G
01-13-2016, 09:48 PM
There are two sides to every story, sure would like to hear the other side. ASK Powersports is a well respected dealership in Ohio with many satisfied customers. I am not trying to defend ASK but I would like to know the details, (from both sides) before hammering ASK or BRP.

greatrides
01-14-2016, 08:09 PM
There are two sides to every story, sure would like to hear the other side. ASK Powersports is a well respected dealership in Ohio with many satisfied customers. I am not trying to defend ASK but I would like to know the details, (from both sides) before hammering ASK or BRP.

You are right ASK is. From the owner Paul to his daughter Patty and her husband Ed. But when you can have her spyder in a shop....any shop for 50 days and have been told it's good and you walk up to it hope on and it does the same thing the same noise the same leak the second you get on it does not ....is not right. Or when you get it back with parts missing or have been told a vibration is because you did not rotate your tires at 4500 miles but it's a out of round wheel....33000 miles and it's has not been right from day one....who's at fault.a couple pictures of how I got it back time before last after I was told it was all back together122630122631

Dubliner
01-15-2016, 03:15 AM
With so many electrical problems I would suspect that the wiring is at fault! Either a connector has a poor connection or some of the wiring is broken. Electrical problems are a pain to find... [emoji887]

PMK
01-15-2016, 07:09 AM
New August 2014 with a 3 year warranty ....it's just my luck with dealer and Brp. I do all my own work 20 years ase tech so I can turn a wrench or two. My first time back to dealer 3 weeks in they wanted to change the oil ....first service. I had just completed it and because I did not let them do it for a bill of $350 they sent a letter to Brp and Brp then told me no warrenty. They have .....Brp. ...has corrected there statment and has covered the first second and third round of repairs so far. Its just one more thing to deal with when your dealing with a bad dealer.

I am certainly not there and yes there may be more to all of this than we read. However, if this letter to BRP is true, regardless of whether BRP stepped up, it really is time to go to the next level.

I am no lawyer, nor expert in the laws regarding warranty and warranty refusal, but would expect the laws in place would sway BRP to resolve this and go above the dealer to set this right. If you have the written letter from BRP, get this resolved sooner than later since once out of warranty you will get nowhere.

For BRP to be bold enough to issue a letter refusing warranty, regardless of whether it was rescinded or not, BRP certainly had needed facts to prove that the work you did voided the warranty.

This was the first site I found explaining how the federal gov't wrote the law.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/keeping-your-mods-warranty-intact.html

greatrides
01-15-2016, 08:41 PM
So it's still in the shop and I called the dealer last Saturday to see what was going on. Ryan the service manager told me he would call BRP Monday to see what they can come up with. So I simply said sounds good keep me up to date. I will call tomorrow because he has not called me back yet. So I hope in the next week we will have an answer to this. Time will tell and I hope they get it this time...if not I will have to take it to the next step.

greatrides
01-16-2016, 11:19 AM
Just talked to the dealer...they don't have any answers yet. So it's been in the shop for some time now and they knew ahead of time I was being it in for the month of January. Not one answer yet!

greatrides
01-18-2016, 01:12 PM
BRB NOT TO COVER! That is the word...so done. Called Brp one guy said not covered and ended the call...I called right back and got a second guy and he said it maybe covered. :banghead::banghead:

Frank G
01-18-2016, 02:32 PM
BRB NOT TO COVER! That is the word...so done. Called Brp one guy said not covered and ended the call...I called right back and got a second guy and he said it maybe covered. :banghead::banghead:

So... what are you trying to get covered? (Be Specific), How old is the Spyder? (in Months) Mileage? If you want more than sympathy you need to get specific. Also what modifications have been done/added to your spyder.

greatrides
01-18-2016, 03:09 PM
So... what are you trying to get covered? (Be Specific), How old is the Spyder? (in Months) Mileage? If you want more than sympathy you need to get specific. Also what modifications have been done/added to your spyder.

2014 sts se5 3 year best waranty bought new Aug 10 2014 now has 33099 miles. Mods air filter k&n power outlet in left front speaker grille.
Lost of things
Out of round rim from day one IF
I'll leak from day one will be third time trying to fix
Upper cover over headlamps broken second time fixing
Limp home mod 5 times pull codes and check
LF turn signal will not cancel
Display will drop fuel Gage and temp
Will kick out of cruise control on highway over bump
Will not rest after 24 hours and you can start it with out hitting mod button
When it is running it will tell you to hit mod to start
Just a couple of things!

loisk
01-18-2016, 04:35 PM
I have 13 st ltd. re lh indicator, this was a warranty repair where they swap indicator block. Re cruise, it is supposed to cancel when you hit a bump as it thinks you are doing evasive manoeuvres - the main highway Sydney to Melbourne has at least five jump- out stretches!
Re the rest of your issues, all i can say is that the difference between loving or hating the spyder experience is a good dealer!!
I presume they have put it on buds and run the whole program start to finish without interruption? This seems to be the key... Sorry I can't help more.

Frank G
01-18-2016, 06:53 PM
2014 sts se5 3 year best waranty bought new Aug 10 2014 now has 33099 miles. Mods air filter k&n power outlet in left front speaker grille.
Lost of things
Out of round rim from day one IF
I'll leak from day one will be third time trying to fix
Upper cover over headlamps broken second time fixing
Limp home mod 5 times pull codes and check
LF turn signal will not cancel
Display will drop fuel Gage and temp
Will kick out of cruise control on highway over bump
Will not rest after 24 hours and you can start it with out hitting mod button
When it is running it will tell you to hit mod to start
Just a couple of things!

Thank you for responding to my questions.

The out of round rim should of been addressed and replaced on day one. After 33,000 miles I can understand why BRP is refusing to warranty it.

In the last couple of days there was a post about the CAN buss system on the spyder. I and many others found it most informative. Altering the electrical system is a real crap shot. On my 2011rs I installed aftermarket HID headlights. After the install I would start it up and then it would request that I hit the mode button again.:gaah:

LINK:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?89380-A-little-Can-Bus-tutorial

I have been reading the posts here daily since 2012 and have never herd of a broken headlight cover.

Apparently the dealer and BRP feels that there are circumstances that allow them to deny you warranty service. I would find out what they are and correct them.

I wish you the best of luck resolving your issues.

greatrides
01-18-2016, 08:53 PM
Thank you for responding to my questions.

The out of round rim should of been addressed and replaced on day one. After 33,000 miles I can understand why BRP is refusing to warranty it.

In the last couple of days there was a post about the CAN buss system on the spyder. I and many others found it most informative. Altering the electrical system is a real crap shot. On my 2011rs I installed aftermarket HID headlights. After the install I would start it up and then it would request that I hit the mode button again.:gaah:

LINK:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?89380-A-little-Can-Bus-tutorial

I have been reading the posts here daily since 2012 and have never herd of a broken headlight cover.

Apparently the dealer and BRP feels that there are circumstances that allow them to deny you warranty service. I would find out what they are and correct them.

I wish you the best of luck resolving your issues.

With the rim the dealer has blamed in on everything but the rim.....5 times over the last year.
Headlight pod has broke 2 times now I don't know why. Not cover because I put a power outlet in let front speaker...did not remove pod to do it.
Could all be can bus bs but with a poor dealer who does not have my back who knows.

greatrides
01-18-2016, 09:03 PM
Last year the spyder spent 50 days in the shop this year already a couple weeks .... I understand that number one I need to find a new dealer. Number 2 find a new dealer. Number 3 find a new dealer!!!! Just pisses you off to fight because your dealer sucks!!

SpyDerSts
01-20-2016, 01:04 PM
Last year the spyder spent 50 days in the shop this year already a couple weeks .... I understand that number one I need to find a new dealer. Number 2 find a new dealer. Number 3 find a new dealer!!!! Just pisses you off to fight because your dealer sucks!!

Mebbe you might look into Competition Accessories in Springfield Ohio. My wife gets her 2014 Spyder STS worked on there with no issues :pray: and very nice people. Call and ask to chat with Steve or Tug in Service and explain ur issues....they are a CanAm dealer/Service...much better than those (Ask) family owned. We've already dealt with both of the Columbus dealers and they left a bad taste in our mouth....😜💩💩💩💩.

greatrides
01-20-2016, 05:13 PM
Mebbe you might look into Competition Accessories in Springfield Ohio. My wife gets her 2014 Spyder STS worked on there with no issues :pray: and very nice people. Call and ask to chat with Steve or Tug in Service and explain ur issues....they are a CanAm dealer/Service...much better than those (Ask) family owned. We've already dealt with both of the Columbus dealers and they left a bad taste in our mouth....😜💩💩💩💩.

The people at ask are nice people they just suck when it comes to customer service. I have a bad feeling about this service repair and was hung up on again by Brp so I will have to give the shop in Springfield a call!!

greatrides
01-26-2016, 08:05 PM
So I reached out to Brp care and they got back with me the next day..... They said they will check to see if they can help!

greatrides
02-01-2016, 07:06 PM
Still in shop...they said oil leak is a washer around the trany....we will see. I called Brp today and Brp gave my shop the go ahead to find out why it goes into limp home mod and why cruise doesn't work at times and the display goes white....shop said nothing is wrong but they are putting a cruise cruise control switch in it. They are not fixing out of round wheel or headlight pod or any limp home mod anything. Calling another shop tomorrow!!

greatrides
02-05-2016, 11:55 AM
I have been talking with Steve from Brp care and I hope he can help. I called another shop I can not right now say who but they where very nice. They said it will be very hard for them to jump in and try to make it right but he said he will help me in another way. So wish me luck I hope one day I can say it's over with! Never again will I buy a spyder from ask power sports!

SpyDnAZ
02-06-2016, 12:22 AM
Glad to hear that you may be able to get some positive results. Best of luck.

hocklaw61
02-07-2016, 02:37 PM

I have had good luck with Jackson, Oh Spyder.
Honda Suzuki Spyder of Jackson.

griffontamer
02-07-2016, 10:48 PM
Sorry you are having such problems! I am wondering if the cruise control cutting out over bumps is caused by the same problem that sends the Spyder into limp mode... like a faulty wheel speed sensor or something. Your Spyder sounds a lot like a 92 Mercedes I had once... tons of electrical problems and no one could figure them out! Good luck :)

greatrides
02-10-2016, 08:38 PM
Shop called me today and told me it's done. Now when they say it does all they did was...3rd attempt to fix the oil leak. I had to remind them that I would pay for the oil filters they would not cover them. And the cruise control switch That is it. Over 30 days again.... They will not fix headlight pod, white screen and no start, it will start with out hitting the mod button, it will tell you to hit the mod button after it has started not fixing that and not fixing fuel and temp Gage that don't read at times!! So I have placed a call to the attorney general office!!!
So to me it is not fixed ..wait there is more not fixing left turn signal and vibaration in the bars or the 5 times it's gone into limp home mod.... And Brp has not called me once or have I got any replies from Brp care! Wait I got 2 emails from Brp care ..one they wanted my VIN and the second was I have a warranty that is it! Bad shop and shame on brp!
Temps will be in the low 20's next couple days so it will be a very cold 30 miles home but to be honest I can't wait to get back on it and in the air!!!:shocked:

SpyderAnn01
02-11-2016, 02:15 AM
Shop called me today and told me it's done. Now when they say it does all they did was...3rd attempt to fix the oil leak. I had to remind them that I would pay for the oil filters they would not cover them. And the cruise control switch That is it. Over 30 days again.... They will not fix headlight pod, white screen and no start, it will start with out hitting the mod button, it will tell you to hit the mod button after it has started not fixing that and not fixing fuel and temp Gage that don't read at times!! So I have placed a call to the attorney general office!!!
So to me it is not fixed ..wait there is more not fixing left turn signal and vibaration in the bars or the 5 times it's gone into limp home mod.... And Brp has not called me once or have I got any replies from Brp care! Wait I got 2 emails from Brp care ..one they wanted my VIN and the second was I have a warranty that is it! Bad shop and shame on brp!
Temps will be in the low 20's next couple days so it will be a very cold 30 miles home but to be honest I can't wait to get back on it and in the air!!!:shocked:

On the 5th you said that you had been talking to Steve from BRP Care, what happened there? Now you say "BRP has not called me once or have I got any replies from BRP Care"

PMK
02-11-2016, 07:14 AM
Somehow, somewhere, and I am not sure how or where, there must be more to this than we see posted.

The situation you explained does tend to warrant your actions. I am no huge fan or supporter of BRP and even less like the incompetence of some dealers.

I have no dog in the fight and hope that justice is delivered, fair and correct, regardless of how it pans out.

All the best

PK

jcthorne
02-11-2016, 08:12 AM
I can offer a few suggestions.

The cruise cutting out when hitting a bump is actually pretty common. Check the brake lamp switch on the brake pedal adjustment. The pedal moves when hitting the bump and if the switch is adjusted too close, a quick blip of that switch will cancel cruise.

On the limp home episodes, pull the diagnostic codes and post them here. I or several others can likely offer some assistance on where to look. Your dealer SHOULD have done this with BRP but sounds like they never even tried.

I really do know how frustrating having a bike in the shop and getting no where can be. Been there and done that, have the scars for it.

greatrides
02-11-2016, 07:22 PM
On the 5th you said that you had been talking to Steve from BRP Care, what happened there? Now you say "BRP has not called me once or have I got any replies from BRP Care"

Steve at Brp care emailed me and said I have a warranty and I just got an email today saying he will check to see why it's still in the shop. He has not helped like I was hopping. 2 emails from Brp care and no phone calls from Brp.

greatrides
02-11-2016, 07:25 PM
Somehow, somewhere, and I am not sure how or where, there must be more to this than we see posted.

The situation you explained does tend to warrant your actions. I am no huge fan or supporter of BRP and even less like the incompetence of some dealers.

I have no dog in the fight and hope that justice is delivered, fair and correct, regardless of how it pans out.

All the best

PK

I wish I was making this up it has been a joke. I've been huge up on ....been told I don't have a warranty...been told I do and the shop will fix it to now I pick it up tomorrow and it's still broken.

greatrides
02-11-2016, 07:30 PM
I can offer a few suggestions.

The cruise cutting out when hitting a bump is actually pretty common. Check the brake lamp switch on the brake pedal adjustment. The pedal moves when hitting the bump and if the switch is adjusted too close, a quick blip of that switch will cancel cruise.

On the limp home episodes, pull the diagnostic codes and post them here. I or several others can likely offer some assistance on where to look. Your dealer SHOULD have done this with BRP but sounds like they never even tried.

I really do know how frustrating having a bike in the shop and getting no where can be. Been there and done that, have the scars for it.

Over 80 plus days in the shop in a year and a half... I asked about if they pulled codes and the service manager and the shop manager said yes . the service manager told me it had tons of codes and one was there 30 times so you would think that would point them in a direction. The manager told me that because it would reset after I restarted it It would not save the code. BRP and Brp care does not say anything about it.

greatrides
02-11-2016, 07:33 PM
The cruise control cutting out over bumps is just one part of the 2 part issue with it. Over some bumps yes it would cut out some big bumps some very small bumps. The second thing is you would go to set it and it would not set ...you would pull off the road turn off the spyder let the thing reset and it would work just fine.

jcthorne
02-12-2016, 08:46 AM
Over 80 plus days in the shop in a year and a half... I asked about if they pulled codes and the service manager and the shop manager said yes . the service manager told me it had tons of codes and one was there 30 times so you would think that would point them in a direction. The manager told me that because it would reset after I restarted it It would not save the code. BRP and Brp care does not say anything about it.

Any code that sets the limp home mode is stored and can be retrieved later using the BUDS diagnostic software. Please get the codes and post them here, you will get much more help on what is going on. Your dealer should have sent these to BRP for analysis and direction on which way to proceed on fixing the bike if they were unsure what to do on their own. Again, its your dealer that is not competent to fix your bike. At least it seems that way from your descriptions. Perhaps you should pick up the bike and ask BRP Cares to recommend a dealership to take it to near you.

jcthorne
02-12-2016, 08:49 AM
The cruise control cutting out over bumps is just one part of the 2 part issue with it. Over some bumps yes it would cut out some big bumps some very small bumps. The second thing is you would go to set it and it would not set ...you would pull off the road turn off the spyder let the thing reset and it would work just fine.

Need to fix one thing at a time. Often fixing the simple things makes the more difficult to understand become clear. Similar is true with the fault codes. Start with the one or two related codes at the top of the list. Fix the issue, clear codes and retest. That is the general sequence in the BRP service manuals.

Vader
02-12-2016, 08:53 AM
I personally would not consider riding that Spyder 30 miles, 30 minutes or 30 seconds, to be perfectly honest. Unless every issue you mentioned that WASN'T corrected, is corrected..I would demand that the dealer deliver it to my home. And as suggested, I would post your zip code and see if another SL can assist with a better dealer if you have gotten nowhere with this one.
Sorry for your issues. Hope they are resolved soon.

greatrides
02-12-2016, 06:43 PM
Well just got back from the shop were I've been asked not to come back! Have a big grease hand print on my spyder and my first turn left signal did not cut off...
It was a cold ride home...22 out it was just a little cold but a great ride home!!!
The shop got all of my posts from spyderlovers and that is just fine I have not lied not even a little I have nothing to hide. This is my opinion only ask power sports service sucks. If you need parts go to ask and ask for Adam he is amazing but he is not in the service department.
The shop found 4 codes in the spyder but it's ok they are not making it go into limp home mod....:yikes:
Well I will let you all go and remember over 80 days in the shop and still not right ...but ask is not to blame!

greatrides
02-13-2016, 11:40 AM
Got up this morning and was still upset about my poor spyder still not fixed. I called another shop and I will not give there name I told them everything about what I have had to deal with. They knew what shop I was talking about and said they have heard all of this before from this shop!!! They said they will love to look at my spyder and they will be up front with me about what is covered and what is not!

greatrides
02-20-2016, 03:47 PM
Beleave it or not....spyder is back in the shop...it has spent 120 days in the shop. Oil leak is so bad now it cover the techs hand with a small wipe. Looks like the shop broke a couple pieces on the underside...
We are at a different dealer now after being asked not to come back to ask power sports! The new dealer told me they will pull it all apart and let me know what is going on and what will be covered.
Wish me luck!!!:thumbup:

greatrides
03-05-2016, 03:55 PM
So after I was asked not to come back to ask power sports and after they damaged my spyder and said I did it. Unbeknownst to them I have images of the spyder before I sent it to ask!!:banghead:nojoke I called another shop that is the closet dealer not owned by ask power sports and they said they could not help me because the owners know one another and the guy felt that I would not get the Care needed. I thanked him for the info and moved down the list!
So now Brp will not call me back Steve from Brp care will not help me or maybe he can't help me ...I will put it that way. He sent ask power sports a link to all of my posts which is fine I speak the truth. My mom and dad would beat me down if I lied as a kid.
So I took it over 100 miles to another dealer that people on spyderlovers recommended. I told them what is going on and what I have had to deal with and everything that Brp has told me. They seem to care and have had the spyder 2 weeks now and I think ....I hope to be getting a call in the next day or two. So we are up over 130 days with this spyder being in the shop over small things that would not take anytime at all to fix. So I hope the have better luck with the new shop and I hope I get it back before spring I need smiles and miles!!

Rick k
03-05-2016, 04:16 PM
Under Ohio law it sounds like your Spyder would qualify as a lemon. Here's a link to the Ohio lemon law for motoecycles.
https://www.ohiobar.org/ForPublic/Resources/LawYouCanUse/Pages/Lemon-Law-for-Motorcycles-Protects-Ohio-Consumers.aspx

greatrides
03-05-2016, 04:43 PM
Started the process!! I've got a letter stating the Attorney General has sent a letter to brp!!! I'm not counting on this even though it hits everything to be a limon!! The new shop knows all about this and are fine with it. Ask power sports is not happy!! Ask power sports told me that they have put 23000 dallors of there money in my spyder...it's a bad shop!!!!

greatrides
03-16-2016, 03:46 PM
I got it to the new shop and it's still there. They thought it would be done last week but it has not gone that way. They tried to get it done for me today and last I heard was they are waiting for Brp to call them so I'm going to say it won't be done today. So I will wait until I hear back and try not to go nuts......wish me luck!!

greatrides
03-20-2016, 03:42 PM
The new shop family got done with my spyder. They could not get everything covered and I understand that...I thankful for what they have done. So this last repair started 1/7/2016 and I picked it up 2 days ago so very glad to get some wind on my face!
I will say the new shop is tons better then the old one and I would recommend them if you live in south west ohio. The old shop had my new spyder for over 130 days in a year and half and the new shop just a hand full of weeks. So thank you Middletown cycle!!!

JKMSPYDER
03-20-2016, 04:40 PM
Please tell us what was repaired. Is it running normally now? It would be helpful for ST owners to know.

greatrides
03-22-2016, 07:37 PM
All they could fix this time around was the left turn signal would not cancel. They put a new steering angle sensor in it and seems to be good. They think with it not reading right it would go into limp home mod and on left turns I could bring the left front wheel off the ground very easy!!
They also looked at an oil leak that had just been fixed and they said it was good this time around. The last shop tried 3 times to fix the oil leak!

soreknuckles
04-23-2018, 06:53 PM

My experiance there with both my Goldwing and my wife's Spyder have been less than, shall we say, outstanding. I will not return there or do any further business with them, and especially will NOT let their hacks work on any of my bikes.