PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Raise Seat

GeorgiaBill
12-30-2015, 06:31 AM
I've got a 2014 RTS with a Corbin seat which I am unable to raise. There is a side door for fueling so I'm not stranded. This just started yesterday and has always worked. I changed the oil and filter last week and checked the oil level 3 days ago, and had no problem with the seat.

When I depress the ignition key and rotate counter-clockwise, at times there is no resistance and at other times there appears to be resistance - go figure that? I've pushed down on the seat, bounced on the seat, pulled up on the seat. Just cannot get it to raise. I also locked the handlebars, which a SL named Bill suggested as a means to get the front trunk to operate. Thanks again, Bill.

Any additional suggestions? If it remains inoperable, I would appreciate any help in accessing the cable or the locking pin. I watched the video by FinlessBob on adjusting the locking pin, but could not find any additional useful search results.

I keep wondering how many of you have experienced this with insufficient fuel to return home. I suspect I will remove the locking pin once the seat is raised.

Help! Help! :banghead::banghead::banghead:
-Bill

MouthPiece
12-30-2015, 06:58 AM
The "push the seat down" method has always worked for me. Consequently, I can't say as to any other trick. I do know there is one. Why not give Corbin a call and they can walk you through it. Mike Corbin has a great team and they've always been helpful to me.

Chris

GeorgiaBill
12-30-2015, 07:13 AM
The "push the seat down" method has always worked for me. Consequently, I can't say as to any other trick. I do know there is one. Why not give Corbin a call and they can walk you through it. Mike Corbin has a great team and they've always been helpful to me.

Chris
Thanks, Chris, I think the Corbin seat has the same mechanism as the Spyder - a pin attached to the seat that goes into a slot connected by cable to the ignition key. I'm wondering how to get to the cable and the slot mechanism. I'll keep trying pushing down on the seat.

Bob Denman
12-30-2015, 07:45 AM
If you can "gently" pry up the right front "ear" of the seat; you might be able to get a long thin screwdriver in there.
We've seen some threads about this before. I believe that some pictures have also been posted.
Oh! Check with Blueknight911; he's always figuring out how to take things apart! :D :2thumbs:

EDIT: See if this thread offers anything useful...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?60478-seat-problem&highlight=raise+seat

viperryder
12-30-2015, 08:19 AM
I had the same problem with my 2011 RTS. If you look down the side of the Spyder, on the latch side, with a flash light you will see the latching mechanism. Take a long wire with a hook bent in the end and you will be able to pull the wire connected to the seat. Hope this works for you.

Devious56
12-30-2015, 08:26 AM
Sounds like the cable that goes to the latching mechanism might have come loose from the latch. If you can find the latch, maybe you can put enough pressure on it with a screwdriver to release the seat.

David

JayBros
12-30-2015, 08:37 AM
When I depress the ignition key and rotate counter-clockwise, at times there is no resistance and at other times there appears to be resistance - go figure that?

I keep wondering how many of you have experienced this with insufficient fuel to return home. I suspect I will remove the locking pin once the seat is raised.

-Bill

On my 2104 RT-S if I push in the ignition key and turn it COUNTER-CLOCKWISE it releases the frunk latch. If I depress it and turn CLOCKWISE it releases the seat latch. If in either case I do not depress it fully before turning I feel things as you do, no resistance. on my Spyder it must be two distinct actions, push until the key bottoms out and then turn.

Larry rt
12-30-2015, 08:39 AM
I used long screwdriver, then I removed pin. Weight of seat keeps it down.

Snowbelt Spyder
12-30-2015, 10:51 AM
When I depress the ignition key and rotate counter-clockwise, at times there is no resistance and at other times there appears to be resistance - go figure that? I've pushed down on the seat, bounced on the seat, pulled up on the seat. Just cannot get it to raise. I also locked the handlebars, which a SL named Bill suggested as a means to get the front trunk to operate. Thanks again, Bill.
-Bill

On my 2104 RT-S if I push in the ignition key and turn it COUNTER-CLOCKWISE it releases the frunk latch. If I depress it and turn CLOCKWISE it releases the seat latch. If in either case I do not depress it fully before turning I feel things as you do, no resistance. on my Spyder it must be two distinct actions, push until the key bottoms out and then turn.

Well Bill, maybe we need to reset this a bit. Just which way are you turning the key to try to open the seat?

GeorgiaBill
12-30-2015, 11:26 AM
Well Bill, maybe we need to reset this a bit. Just which way are you turning the key to try to open the seat?

I hesitate to admit that I was turning the key counter-clockwise because that would make me look stupid.

OK, I admit it. Just turned it clockwise just as the picture on the ignition shows and the seat will raise.

Wonder how long it would have taken me to realize my mistake?

Thanks all.
-Bill

Devious56
12-30-2015, 11:30 AM
Good for you, glad everything worked out, and since I am an RT owner, am embarrassed as you for not catching it. I still find myself turning the key the wrong way to do what I want to do

David

ARtraveler
12-30-2015, 11:36 AM
Welcome to the oooooooops club. We have all done similar. Some of us even admit to it. :roflblack::roflblack:

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-30-2015, 11:38 AM
.................................................. Unfortunately My Spyder is in the shop ( warranty work ) so I can't look at it.......If there is less resistance ( key ) than before, than it's possible the cable came off. But I don't think that it's likely.....I'd rather not make suggestions without looking at mine...................If you get it open, you can do what I did........wire the latch open.....this will remove using the KEY from the equation...........................Good luck :pray::pray::pray::pray:............Mike :thumbup:.. Well we were typing at the same time :roflblack:........so I'm glad you figured it out ........................BUT, I would NOT REMOVE the PIN.......you need it to keep the seat from going back and forth......just do what I did....wire it open............Mike

finless
12-30-2015, 11:38 AM
Watch this video... it shows how the latch works and how to adjust the pin if needed.

Bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhscpnmB59c

Snowbelt Spyder
12-30-2015, 11:49 AM
I hesitate to admit that I was turning the key counter-clockwise because that would make me look stupid.

OK, I admit it. Just turned it clockwise just as the picture on the ignition shows and the seat will raise.

Thanks all.
-Bill

Now then, as a lot of us with the Corbin have done, just take that pin off.
Have a great New Year.

Cruzr Joe
12-30-2015, 11:58 AM

Thanks all.
-Bill

Been there, Done that, & have the "T" Shirt. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: Happy New Year

Cruzr Joe

JayBros
12-30-2015, 12:33 PM

Bill, if I bought you a beer and you drank it immediately for every time I've blown into a gas station in a hurry and turned the key the wrong way and the seat latch didn't release, you'd be quite tipsy.

Bob Denman
12-30-2015, 03:01 PM
:agree: I've got the same Tee-Shirt as Joe... :D
Glad to hear that you fixed the problem! :thumbup:
(Don't forget to close your Frunklid...)

finless
12-30-2015, 03:37 PM
:agree: I've got the same Tee-Shirt as Joe... :D
Glad to hear that you fixed the problem! :thumbup:
(Don't forget to close your Frunklid...)

Picture of the shirt please! ;)

Bob

Bob Denman
12-30-2015, 03:47 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=121938&stc=1

Sam Mac
12-30-2015, 05:56 PM
Just my 2 cents but needing to use the key to open the trunk (frunk) or the seat is a stupid design. :banghead:

GeorgiaBill
12-30-2015, 06:03 PM
.................................................. Unfortunately My Spyder is in the shop ( warranty work ) so I can't look at it.......If there is less resistance ( key ) than before, than it's possible the cable came off. But I don't think that it's likely.....I'd rather not make suggestions without looking at mine...................If you get it open, you can do what I did........wire the latch open.....this will remove using the KEY from the equation...........................Good luck :pray::pray::pray::pray:............Mike :thumbup:.. Well we were typing at the same time :roflblack:........so I'm glad you figured it out ........................BUT, I would NOT REMOVE the PIN.......you need it to keep the seat from going back and forth......just do what I did....wire it open............Mike

Thanks, Mike, I'll wire the latch open.

GeorgiaBill
12-30-2015, 06:06 PM
Watch this video... it shows how the latch works and how to adjust the pin if needed.

Bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhscpnmB59c

Thanks, Bob, I had already found the video and watched it. Videos are so useful to me.

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-30-2015, 06:54 PM
Just my 2 cents but needing to use the key to open the trunk (frunk) or the seat is a stupid design. :banghead:
:agree:....:yes::yes::yes::dontknow:.....Maybe you and I are among the few that realize this........I have suggested this a few times, wire the seat latch open ( no one steals GAS from MTC's )......and put in a separate release latch for the FRUNK ( I posted how to do this on an RT, also )...........It will cost you over $ 400.00 when the KEY breaks in the ignition.......Mike :thumbup:

jaherbst
12-30-2015, 08:53 PM

Thanks all.
-Bill

I like you already Bill. Takes a hell of a man to admit a "stupid" mistake. We have all done it, not all will admit it. Bottom line, problem solved.

Jack

dbaucum
12-30-2015, 08:58 PM
After installing my Corbin with gas access I removed the latch. The weight of the seat keeps it in place. Has worked for 15k miles.

Cruzr Joe
12-30-2015, 10:06 PM
There are a few good reasons to not wire open your seat ............

1) The lock deters people from stealing your seat

2) The lock deters people from stealing the Driver backrest

3) the lock deters people from having access to your brake reservoir

just my .02 cents worth

and the reason to keep the frunk locked should be obvious.

Oh, yes people will steal your stuff, while at the Owners event in Maggie Valley at a event for Spyder owners only, someone stole a non lockable $350.00 drivers backrest off of a Spyder.

Cruzr Joe

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-30-2015, 10:43 PM
:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:...RIGHT NOW ON E-BAY ......BRAKE RESERVOIR " CAP LOCKS " 2 FOR $1.00 .....FREE SHIPPING....ITEM # 98666548992314501............Mike :thumbup:

pitzerwm
12-30-2015, 11:00 PM
:agree:....:yes::yes::yes::dontknow:.....Maybe you and I are among the few that realize this........I have suggested this a few times, wire the seat latch open ( no one steals GAS from MTC's )......and put in a separate release latch for the FRUNK ( I posted how to do this on an RT, also )...........It will cost you over $ 400.00 when the KEY breaks in the ignition.......Mike :thumbup:

I put a new nice gas shock and without the pin it won't stay closed, just a minor problem.

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-31-2015, 01:34 AM

Thanks all.
-Bill
Thanks for a good laugh! :roflblack: :roflblack:

I put a short wire connected to the latch and extends into the space between the seat and console. In an emergency I can pull the seat end far enough out to reach the wire loop.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=121964&stc=1