PDA

View Full Version : Front Pegs

Desert Spyder
02-06-2009, 07:34 PM
This may be a silly question but I have always wondered why the front pegs are spring loaded. I have yet to find a useful purpose for it but maybe I overlooked something.

vt228
02-06-2009, 07:48 PM
This may be a silly question but I have always wondered why the front pegs are spring loaded. I have yet to find a useful purpose for it but maybe I overlooked something.
1 it keeps the peg from folding up on you as you ride

Desert Spyder
02-06-2009, 07:56 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to make them rigid?

brutus450
02-06-2009, 08:13 PM

If they werent spring loaded then you wouldnt be able to fold them up.

The real question is .....WHY would you want to fold them up? Well.......like we all ponder "how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie roll Pop"................THE WORLD MAY NEVER KNOW.

brutus450
02-06-2009, 08:18 PM
my theory is..............they are shock absorbers for you feet. For example...................when you run over a large animal and it flings upwards after the initial hit of the front, the animal tends to hit your feet. This will not only take the stress off the peg and your feet but also off the animal giving you AND the animal a higher probability of living through unfortunate action.

shunkmanitu
02-06-2009, 10:25 PM
>>>>and is just transfered the the Trykes. During spirited riding the ability to fold up keeps you from breaking them off when they touch down in fast corners.

BRPjunkie
02-06-2009, 10:28 PM
I think it is just a safety factor. If a foot did slip off the peg and drag back into the peg it will give. When I was sitting on it and rolling it forward on my driveway once, its started rolling down hill and with no hand brake, I stabbed at the foot brake and missed and my right leg hit the ground then the peg and it folded enough to let my leg slip past.

Sara
02-06-2009, 10:53 PM
they were rigid and solidly fixed, and if you hit an object, like a 2X4 on the road, the front pegs would get hit and throw the bike and you, wrecking everything----they are sprung so they will fold back in case something is hit------on a curve, when leaning, the pegs will fold back and not endanger the bike and rider------

NancysToy
02-07-2009, 07:22 AM
Don't know the engineering reason, at least not with the Spyder which is wide enough in front not to snag an obstacle with the peg, and won't drag it while cornering like a two-wheeler. If you have ever walked into a rigid peg and taken the hide off your leg though, you will appreciate the gesture.
Scotty http://forum.thestompbox.net/images/smilies/1a_snow.gif

Desert Spyder
02-07-2009, 07:53 AM
Now that's the best theory I've heard yet! I never owned a bike so its probably a bike thing, in this case without a purpose.

And I'm sure PETA did appreciate the attempt to save the animal after it runs in front of us.

Smylinacha
02-07-2009, 09:00 AM
How do you get them to flip up like that?:dontknow: Every time I try to run over a large animal, they just get wrapped around the front air dam until I stop, then they fall off and run away unharmed.....:D

Oh! So that's what is actually happening! Whenever I ride on the back with you and that happens you always just tell me it's a speed bump.

vt228
02-07-2009, 05:48 PM
:sour: if it was solad and you hit a rock or something solad it would throw you the spring keeps the pegs down so they dont fold up if they did your foot would hit the pavement and your foot would go south as you go north :agree:you would brak your foot or ankle

TX_Cruiser
02-07-2009, 07:10 PM

It's so they'll give when cornering... :shocked: sorry that was on my other ride...

Director
02-07-2009, 07:48 PM
How do you get them to flip up like that?:dontknow: Every time I try to run over a large animal, they just get wrapped around the front air dam until I stop, then they fall off and run away unharmed.....:D

Front air dam? You mean it's not a cow catcher?:D

tnfleming
02-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Only in areas west or north of the Mississippi....

To go north of the mississippi one has to go to canada.

NancysToy
02-07-2009, 09:43 PM
It's so they'll give when cornering... :shocked: sorry that was on my other ride...
Actually, I suspect this is exactly the reason...probably mandated by law, as the Spyder is considered to be a motorcycle in most places. The Feds standardized control positions, and banned rigid footpegs years ago.
-Scotty http://forum.thestompbox.net/images/smilies/1a_snow.gif

LDFIREWORKS
02-07-2009, 10:17 PM
i agree with nancys toy:2thumbs:

BRPjunkie
02-07-2009, 11:00 PM
I guess we're lucky we didn't get stuck with a sidestand as required "motorcycle" equipment. :joke: