PDA

View Full Version : Your Winter gear - Snow in Chicago, ride cancelled

Rogue Hawk
12-28-2015, 11:49 AM
Darn, I think the F3 is just too light, it skids on top of the snow. It seems unlikely there are studded tires for it. But I have ways to deal with cold. I have some good cold weather gear. I bough First Gear electric body and hand liners. I also got an electric shoe insole I have yet to try out. It has a radio remote and the batteries are built into the sole itself, so its easy to use. I also found a wind and water proof ski overpants at Cabela on sale for $30. Again, yet to try them out. I find when temperatures dips below 50F the electric gear is a must. But it is a pain putting on all these extra layers, but we akk gotta pay the Riding Gods there due. The none electric gear that suppose to 'reflects' heat back to the body is a joke. None of it ever works for me.

What is your winter gear setup?

blacklightning
12-28-2015, 12:33 PM
I try to not ride in rain, but have a nice set of frogg toggs for when I get caught out. For the cold, I normally just use thermals if it is just cool. If it gets into the lower 40's and below, I break out the freeze out gear that I purchased from Cycle Gear. It works really good at keeping the body heat in and the wind out. If it gets really cold, then I also add a nice set of lined chaps that I have and a hooded sheet shirt. The only thing that has given me trouble over the years is my hands. Now with the heated grips on my spyder, that is a thing of the past. I never imagined that they would make that much of a difference. I am now spoiled.

trikermutha
12-28-2015, 01:14 PM
You mean ICE ,Rain and Sleet today in Chicago..Its a mess out there. :shocked: But I do agree heated gear is a must on cold rides:thumbup:

Bob Denman
12-28-2015, 01:20 PM
My Winter Gear setup?? :D

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=121850&stc=1

jtpollock
12-28-2015, 01:45 PM
Darn, I think the F3 is just too light, it skids on top of the snow. It seems unlikely there are studded tires for it. But I have ways to deal with cold. I have some good cold weather gear. I bough First Gear electric body and hand liners. I also got an electric shoe insole I have yet to try out. It has a radio remote and the batteries are built into the sole itself, so its easy to use. I also found a wind and water proof ski overpants at Cabela on sale for $30. Again, yet to try them out. I find when temperatures dips below 50F the electric gear is a must. But it is a pain putting on all these extra layers, but we akk gotta pay the Riding Gods there due. The none electric gear that suppose to 'reflects' heat back to the body is a joke. None of it ever works for me.

What is your winter gear setup?

Check this out If a sport bike can do this I think the SPYDER should! :dontknow: https://youtu.be/gGFKLcpN31k

Haze
12-28-2015, 01:58 PM
I have electric DIY glove liners and a DIY electric jacket liner.
After the proof of concept I am truly spoiled by the heated gear.
My wife gets a chuckle out of watching me hand stitch wires into my riding gear.
My current project is economy electric grip wraps for my ST. Warmth is good. :clap::clap:
Cheers,

retread
12-28-2015, 07:20 PM
First Gear Thermo suit, good gloves, heated grips, balaclava, been comfortable down to about 35*, but I won't ride on ice or salt or snow.

john

SpyderAnn01
12-28-2015, 07:46 PM
I wear Aerostitch riding pants which are both wind and waterproof with long johns and sweat pants underneath. Before the Aerostitch pants I had First Gear overpants which were great also. I have a Can-Am Cavalier Jacket that is wind and waterproof also and when it is really cold I wear a Gerbings heated liner under it. The thing I love about good textile gear is that you can use it pretty much year around, the jacket is great in hot dry weather with a cool vest underneath and my riding pants are always in my saddlebag in case of rain. I wear Head snowmobile gloves and wool socks.

jaherbst
12-28-2015, 09:19 PM
My wife gets a chuckle out of watching me hand stitch wires into my riding gear.
My current project is economy electric grip wraps for my ST. Warmth is good. :clap::clap:
Cheers,

Hope you know what your doing. Don't "Electrocute Yourself". :yikes:

Jack

Rogue Hawk
12-29-2015, 11:28 AM
Cheers,

I find it funny how none riders are always asking me how I can ride in the cold. But I find it harder to ride in the heat. At least I can escape the cold. I just can't escape the salty roads.

Smokinspyder
12-30-2015, 03:16 PM
I hate that when I walk into my garage I see my Phantom just sitting there.. but my Winter gear is an outlander sport LOL