PDA

View Full Version : 100% Pure Gas

Brian Kay
12-26-2015, 01:41 PM
So I ran some errands and had to get some "sale items" from Cycle Gear. Bought an awesome new Battery Charger and Maintainer for $39.99 and two pairs of summer gloves (one for me and one for the mrs) that were leather and 50% off - on sale for $29.99 each. On the return trip, as I was cruising and enjoying the 76-degree afternoon and noticed that I needed some gas. Well, I remember that this gas station in Acworth just installed some new pumps and sell 100% pure gas, with a 90-octane rating.http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=121786&stc=1. This is the benefit of living near a large lake and having a lot of boaters near by...they want the pure gas too...so we both win! I am glad to pay the $2.99 per gallon for this stuff.

armyspydervet
12-26-2015, 01:51 PM
Ok, I will be the first to show my ignorance :opps: what is the difference and benefits of using that as per what you get at a regular gas station? :bowdown:

Brian Kay
12-26-2015, 01:59 PM
Ok, I will be the first to show my ignorance :opps: what is the difference and benefits of using that as per what you get at a regular gas station? :bowdown:

Look up ethanol and what it does to engines, fuel injectors, etc. You'll be on the lookout for Pure Gas

Bob Denman
12-26-2015, 02:10 PM
Brian,
:congrats: on this find! :thumbup:
Let us know how it affects (If at all...) your fuel mileage!

Brian Kay
12-26-2015, 02:16 PM
Brian,

I'll try to keep track and let you know...however, that's one thing I really don't care too much about. I'd rather just get the benefit of knowing that the yucky corn bi-product is out of my engine and fuel injectors.

spookyluke
12-26-2015, 06:54 PM
So are you saying that your fuel usually has ethanol in it and you usually have no choice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Denman
12-26-2015, 07:14 PM
In a lot of places; our gasoline is blended with 10% ethanol. You can find "pure" gas; you just need to know where to look for it. :D

Sam Mac
12-26-2015, 07:33 PM
Posted this before. http://www.pure-gas.org/

Brian Kay
12-27-2015, 11:07 AM

Yes, I remember seeing that once upon a time and verified the station that I went to had exactly what they say...accurate information provided. Thanks again for the reminder that this exists, and is accurate to some level.

gazunni
12-27-2015, 12:29 PM
Just use SeaFoam once every 3000 miles. Keeps ethanol gumming to a minimum.

Mazo EMS2
12-27-2015, 01:00 PM
Having pure gas helps a little bit I think. I use if from down the street. However, if there is only a single hose from a pump that offers all blends of fuel, it is pretty likely that you're gonna get some sort of blend with Ethanol, before the "Pure gas", because of the common hose. Not a big deal....but it just works that way. Kinda like turning on the hot water at the sink, it takes a bit before the water gets hot 'cause it's coming from a different place.
In reality, I think the Spyder is smart enough to run most any fuel ya throw at it. Mileage and performance may suffer a little bit, but in the end it'll work out dollar for dollar. I will put in Non-ehtanol fuel if it's available too. (if it's from a busy pump) I have run into cases where the Non-ethanol fuel is "stale" because of lack of use by consumers, so there is yet another hazard to be aware of. The more costly fuels will likely be the least used by the average consumer these days. It's just natural to try to save a buck. If we were pinching pennies, we wouldn't own Spyders....Fill it up and Ride On!!:yes:

Highwayman2013
12-27-2015, 03:35 PM
Where I'm at the only non-ethanol gas I can get is 100 octane competition gas but at $8/gal the cost is high. When I'm on the road I always try to get the pure stuff though.

ingramwc
12-27-2015, 04:23 PM
Ethanol has been shoved down our throats by the EPA as a renewable fuel. However, ethanol is made from corn, as such it contains water, internal combustion engines cannot burn water!
Also ethanol/gas blend does not burn as clean as pure gasoline, the hydrocarbon levels in the exhaust are much higher.
I switched back to pure gas a couple of years ago (it is available close to home) for both cages and all the lawn equipment. Both cages gas mileage increased by 3 MPG around town and long trips by 4 MPG. I just got my Spyder in May of this year and I use the pure gas, unless I'm in an area where it is not available. But the non-ethanol is the main fuel for the Spyder, and it runs great!!!
If you are interested the AMA (American Motorcycle Association) has a lot of info on the subject on their website. www.americanmotorcyclist.com (http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/t/linkclick/c1278765-798a-4236-91d3-93d59f99c206/www.americanmotorcyclist.com)

ARtraveler
12-27-2015, 04:31 PM
As far as I know, there is no ethanol gas blend in Alaska.

Cruzr Joe
12-27-2015, 05:04 PM
As far as I know, there is no ethanol gas blend in Alaska.

You would probably have to import it.:roflblack::roflblack:

Cruzr Joe

jaherbst
12-27-2015, 05:13 PM
Nearest "pure gas" is 90 miles away in Phoenix. I guess we are stuck with ethanol. nojoke

Jack

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-27-2015, 05:15 PM
Where I'm at the only non-ethanol gas I can get is 100 octane competition gas but at $8/gal the cost is high. When I'm on the road I always try to get the pure stuff though..........I HAVE NO Pure gas available on a regular basis......So I add the required amount of " STARTRON " ( Marine formula )at every fill-up......The chemical signature of this stuff appears to indicate it would give about a one octane boost to whatever gas I am putting in ( usually 87 ). Startron claims to cancel the effects of the ETHYL in the Gas........I usually get between 38-40 mpg ( 2014 RT ) depending on how hard I'm riding and the terrain......I think it works ..........................JMHO.....Mike :thumbup:

Sam Mac
12-27-2015, 06:23 PM
Did a little ride today, went to the car wash to get the cow poop off from the last ride. Came home and filled the RT LTD up with Shell no ethanol 93 and put it away for the winter. Weather looks like it is going to get crappy after today. Guess it was good while it lasted, 73 today. I take my race gas jugs to the Shell station, I put the first gal in the truck so that I don't get what the guy ahead of me got then fill my jugs. I fill the RT at home out of the jugs so I know what is going into it. Yeah I know I'm going over board but it's worth the extra effort to me to know I have good gas in it. Your results may vary. Happy riding.

Tango
12-28-2015, 10:16 AM
In a lot of places; our gasoline is blended with 10% ethanol. You can find "pure" gas; you just need to know where to look for it. :D

Bob you have one close to you. The Stewart's in Wurtsboro has pure gas. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

billybovine
12-28-2015, 10:24 AM

I checked out the site for gas stations near me. The ones listed that I know are all incorrect and are not pure gas.

slick999
12-28-2015, 10:48 AM
Have to agree with guzanni,use sea foam or star tron to neutralize ethanol.Use it in all power equipment.

Mr. White
12-28-2015, 12:15 PM
I have always used regular gas in my GW and Spyders. I put three ounces of the cheapest gas additive Wal Mart sells in every other tank fill. There is a place close by who sells "real gas" @ $3+ a gallon. I filled yesterday @ $1.61. I have never told Mr. Cognac about "real gas" and he thinks that he gets vitamins from the corn juice in his regular gas. He loves it and runs like a hose! :clap:

:spyder2:

pegasus1300
12-28-2015, 12:18 PM
"He loves it and runs like a hose! " Now that I gotta see:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Sorry I just couldn't resist.

Mr. White
12-28-2015, 12:28 PM
That is okay, Paul. He runs so good on regular that I sometimes have to beat him with a stick to make him shut down.

:bdh:

Gray Ghost
12-29-2015, 05:41 PM
I have run into cases where the Non-ethanol fuel is "stale" because of lack of use by consumers

Ethanol starts to separate from the gasoline between two weeks to 90 days after it is added to the fuel. Non-ethanol gas is a lot more user friendly being stored for a period of time than ethanol crap.

I checked out the site for gas stations near me. The ones listed that I know are all incorrect and are not pure gas.

pure-gas.org is crowd sourced, please let them know of the errors.

GeorgiaBill
01-02-2016, 07:53 AM
Hey Brian what station is that. Being new I guess it's not in PURE-GAS?

I've used S A White Oil Co here in Marietta (90 octane) but they are not easy to pump and then pay with some walking required.

I called Jenny's Food Mart at 5890 Glade Rd yesterday - $2.75 quoted for Valero 90 and I will be real close to them next week.

I think I might also try Star Tron mentioned by Mike above.

Dennis in Lodi
01-02-2016, 09:51 AM
I probably have over $20,000 invested in Dyno testing my many racing and stree machines. The difference in results have surprised me.

1. Best dyno results come from BUSY gas stations with fresh fuels at 87 octane. As much as 2 peak horse over other stations with slower fuel change overs.
2. I LOOSE 5 peak HP on EVERY Dyno test with PURE non ethanol fuel that is at least 92 and up octane.
3. In as little as 500 miles you can hand me the motor heads off ANY motor and I can tell you what type of fuel has been run in it. The cleanest heads will be the PURE fuel with no ethanol. Those pure fuel heads compare to new in how clean they are.
4. The worst motor heads are the slower fuel stations with 10% ethanol @ 87 octane. They can vary from disgusting to unbelievable in just 500 miles. Stale gas equals bad gas.
5. Fuel additives have a remarkable effect on how clean my motor heads are on take down.

Here is my personal input on how I use fuel.
For my machines where performance is not an issue, ( RT Spyder) I use only PURE fuel with no Ethanol. Since I know the fuel is pure, I DO NOT USE ADDITIVES. Simply not needed.
Combustion chamber temperatures run 5 degrees cooler and more with pure fuel. Coooler combustions temps = longer engine life.

For my Street machines where performane is an issue I use 87 octane, 10% Ethanol from the BUSY gas station with the long lines at the pump and counter. I USE ADDITIVES IN EVERY TANK for this fuel.

Hope this helps

Hecam17
01-02-2016, 10:01 AM
I'd like to know where that station is in Acworth too? The Lobster loves that Pure Gas, costs more but small tank makes that OK.

If you locals are looking for rides with other Spyder Riders look up Wind Cruisers of North Georgia on Meetup.com

Brian Kay
03-05-2016, 01:24 PM
Hey Brian what station is that. Being new I guess it's not in PURE-GAS?

I've used S A White Oil Co here in Marietta (90 octane) but they are not easy to pump and then pay with some walking required.

I called Jenny's Food Mart at 5890 Glade Rd yesterday - $2.75 quoted for Valero 90 and I will be real close to them next week.

I think I might also try Star Tron mentioned by Mike above.

I'd like to know where that station is in Acworth too? The Lobster loves that Pure Gas, costs more but small tank makes that OK.

If you locals are looking for rides with other Spyder Riders look up Wind Cruisers of North Georgia on Meetup.com

Guys, I am so sorry for this late response...didn't check SL for a while back in early January. Nonetheless, there are two stations just 2 to 3 miles north of the City of Acworth (on Main St. or some call it Old Hwy 41), but the one I go to is at the corner of Main St. (old Hwy 41) and 3rd Army Rd. The station is called "Lee's Grocery" and they have a separate pump/hose just for Pure Gas...not shared with the other fuels, so no mixing of ethanol. The price is hovering around $2.70 to $3.00 per gallon for the 90 octane with an approximate 4.5 gallon fill up. So is the extra $5 worth it for each fill up? And is it worth it to drive out of your way to baby your girl.

Bill, you could have stopped on your way to or back from Cartersville. if you look at a map it's not too far off of I-75 and it's a great two lane road with an awesome view of Lake Allatoona in one location. I'm going to snap a picture next time I'm out-n-about.

Brian Kay
03-05-2016, 01:42 PM
Brian,

OK Bob, I've only filled up three times so far (including the initial fill up in late Dec.)...yes, not enough riding I know! And had to use the battery charger because my girl sat without any attention for about 3+ weeks back in February.

This is what I recorded:

Fill Up #1 initial fill up
Fill Up #2 3.501 gallons 130.6 recorded miles
MPG Calc A = 37.3 MPG Note: more weekend, recreational driving, highway miles, etc.
Fill Up #3 4.928 gallons 125.5 recorded miles
MPG Calc B = 25.7 MPG Note: more daily commuting in ATL traffic (stop-n-go primarily - pure city driving)

Average = 30.38 MPG - NO DIFFERENCE IN WHAT I WAS GETTING BEFORE WITH THE 93 OCTANE (10% Ethanol)

Please note that I keep the Tachometer on the high side...RPM's in the high 3- low 5K range. Yes, I have the 1330 triple so I don't have to do that but I like to have some fun and goose it sometimes (usually every ride, lol). Not sure what I could get if I kept the RPM's in the 2-3K range or wherever the "eco mode" tells you to be??? I really don't care because the gas is the cheap part of owning a Spyder, lol.

GeorgiaBill
05-01-2016, 11:05 AM
I'll check them out next time I'm in Acworth.

-Bill

Showie
05-01-2016, 11:50 AM
At least 1 grade of gas should be ethanol free nation wide. That would give consumers a choice. :clap:

Devious56
05-01-2016, 03:06 PM
Brian,

Bob, I have a 2015 RT Limited, and usually get about 4 mpg more with non-ethanol gas. I now have had 4 tankfuls over 43 mpg, and those were not particularly looking for gas mileage, but just riding.

David

Jetfixer
05-01-2016, 06:20 PM
Ethanol in gas is terrible for machines that were not specifically built to use it. Even if a given engine is certified for some percentage (usually 10% max) ethanol, the drawbacks to ethanol are huge. For instance, ethanol is hygroscopic, which means it absorbs water out of the air. Anyone living in a remotely humid environment will find some water in their tanks after a short while. Also, ethanol has a very short "shelf life". If not used in approx 60 days, it undergoes "phase separation", which is a chemical degradation process. It CANNOT simply be stirred back up. It will not recombine. Ethanol is corrosive to most metals. The higher the concentration, the more corrosive. It is illegal under federal law to use ethanol fuels in any concentration in any aircraft or marine engine. Take that as a clue. Those are machines that would cause great inconveniences if their engines failed at the wrong time. Also, ethanol contains less heat energy (BTU's) by volume than straight gasoline. approx. 23% less. You WILL get better gas mileage on straight gas.

Spyder 42
05-01-2016, 11:22 PM
I am in the non-ethanol camp. I've been using it in the bikes, when I can find it.

The lawn equipment seems to suffer the most. I've had to replace the carbs on the blower, chainsaw and the string trimmer. All three were fueled using ethanol gas with Seafoam and Oil to a mix of 50:1. The equipment was always allowed to run dry before being put away. Even with that routine, the carbs would be gummed up to the point that they were unusable after two seasons. Last year, I switched to ethanol free gas. We will see how long it takes to gum them up.

The chipper is a four stroke Honda engine. I had used it for two days in Feb then put it away until last week. There is a fuel shut off so it was allowed to run dry. When I attempted to start it up, it would not catch. After fussing with it for a bit, I decided to pull the fuel and replace it. Well, the tank must have been filled off an ethanol fuel because it had about a 1/2 gallon of water in a 2 gallon tank. I don't think that I could buy enough Heet to soak up that amount of water. It started right up after fresh gas was added.

oldguyinTX
05-02-2016, 09:36 AM
Closet place to me is in Fairfield CT 100% pure gas, 94 octane, $15.00/gallon.:yikes:

Buckeye Bleau
05-02-2016, 09:45 AM
As eluded to in other posts here, the Ethanol has been shoved down our throats.
As my coworkers from other countries ask, "Why do you Americans want to burn your food, when so many others could eat it?"

Hmmmm:yikes::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghea d:

stillriding
05-02-2016, 11:25 AM
[QUOTE=Buckeye Bleau;1123774]As eluded to in other posts here, the Ethanol has been shoved down our throats You're being too polite.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
05-02-2016, 11:48 AM
too bad we can't sue the state for forcing us to use a defective product

BajaRon
05-02-2016, 12:01 PM
too bad we can't sue the state for forcing us to use a defective product

Ethanol is truly a bad deal.

It costs more to make a gallon of ethanol fuel than it does a gallon of pure gas.
It takes more oil to make a gallon of ethanol fuel than it does to make a gallon of pure gas.
Ethanol destroys just about anything that it is left in very long.
It takes more ethanol fuel to go the same distance as does pure gas.
We are burning perfectly good food to achieve all these negatives.

So, why do we have it? Farmers make money, politicians get elected, and people think they are saving the planet (2 out of these 3 are true).

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
05-02-2016, 12:24 PM

It costs more to make a gallon of ethanol fuel than it does a gallon of pure gas.
It takes more oil to make a gallon of ethanol fuel than it does to make a gallon of pure gas.

So, why do we have it? Farmers make money, politicians get elected, and people think they are saving the planet (2 out of these 3 are true).

kill the politicians, tell the farmers to get a job flipping burgers at mcdonalds & teach people the truth about ethanol.

Dan McNally
05-02-2016, 12:25 PM

Not to mention that corn for food, and other agricultural products get more expensive . . . yeah, we were sold a lousy bill of goods with ethanol.