PDA

View Full Version : Frunk Latch

rwc
12-24-2015, 09:23 AM
Is there a way to adjust the Frunk Latch? Mine is very hard to close and also very hard to open with key. I have to put so much pressure on key I am afraid that I will bend it. :banghead: The latch does not close with out a very hard slam and sometimes several tries before it latches.

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-24-2015, 09:48 AM
Is there a way to adjust the Frunk Latch? Mine is very hard to close and also very hard to open with key. I have to put so much pressure on key I am afraid that I will bend it. :banghead: The latch does not close with out a very hard slam and sometimes several tries before it latches.
:yes::yes::yes:....Merry Christmas....I can help you fix both problems. Open your ..FRUNK...The Latch mechanism is held by two bolts .....get a 10mm wrench and loosen both just enough, so you move it up slightly at the front......tighten it...close hood gently and see if this works......if not, you need to do it again and raise it a little bit more.............This should relieve the pressure..........To solve the KEY thing , I attached a separate cable to that Latch so I ...NEVER.. use my KEY to un-lock the frunk......Because if/when the key breaks it will cost $ 400+ to fix ( after warranty expires )............To attach a cable you will need to take the Latch off completely ( re-move the OEM cable first ) and drill a small hole in the large lever ...then your new cable goes from there to the left side ( as you sit on the spyder )...I put a small piece of wood on the end and used some Velcro to attach it under the fender.......With this set-up you pull the cable to open your FRUNK not the key.........No one can see the cable .........Mike :thumbup:.... PS....GO TO POST # 12 AND WATCH PART 3 OF THE VIDEO BOB SHOWS EXACTLY WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT ABOVE

Deer Slayer
12-24-2015, 11:35 AM
Great idea Blue K, I adjusted mine and now clean and lube with molly grease. I can just drop my fronk lid and open with no problem.

Devious56
12-24-2015, 01:02 PM
Becareful it isn't too easy to shut, you need enough pressure on the seal or it won't be water tight.

David

JayBros
12-24-2015, 01:19 PM
I was into my frunk a bit today on another issue, rerouting the battery tender pigtail, and went into the service manual looking for some information and just happened by the latch adjustment instructions. One of the points it made, even with a picture, was to test the frunk seal after adjusting the latch by closing the frunk lid on a piece of paper that is laid across the frunk seal. If the paper sheet is easily removable the cover is not properly sealed. If the paper is not easily removable the seal is good. There is no guidance on what is "easily removable" and you must do the test on both sides of the frunk, L & R. Here's a picture.

Bob Denman
12-24-2015, 01:34 PM
Becareful it isn't too easy to shut, you need enough pressure on the seal or it won't be water tight.

David

I was into my frunk a bit today on another issue, rerouting the battery tender pigtail, and went into the service manual looking for some information and just happened by the latch adjustment instructions. One of the points it made, even with a picture, was to test the frunk seal after adjusting the latch by closing the frunk lid on a piece of paper that is laid across the frunk seal. If the paper sheet is easily removable the cover is not properly sealed. If the paper is not easily removable the seal is good. There is no guidance on what is "easily removable" and you must do the test on both sides of the frunk, L & R. Here's a picture.

VERY good point to make! :clap: :2thumbs:
You want it to open up easily...

...But not TOO easily! :shocked:

Do the test, and make sure that you've got enough tension in the system, for proper sealing. :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-24-2015, 05:01 PM
Dear...Devious, Jay, & Bob...........but mostly everyone else who is following this,,,,,,,,,,,, because my FRUNK is sitting on my kitchen table and I have great access to the re-lease and very good visibility around the FRUNK........This is what I found....even if you lowered the LATCH to the MAXIMUM......that rubber seal around the frunk edge !!! wouldn't seal tight....what prevents water from getting in is the plastic LIP molded into the HOOD..............AND if the LATCH is lowered that much .....your KEY will NEVER un-lock IT..........so you better have the emergency cable ( that I have ) ready, to open it......What really keeps the HOOD from jiggling around is the PADS at the upper TIPS of the HOOD........But if think otherwise - - good luck....Mike :thumbup:

JayBros
12-24-2015, 08:34 PM
Please don't shoot the messenger,Mike. I was just relating what's in the service manual. For the hell of it I went out and did the test where the picture showed to do it and it failed on both sides. You are 100% right that the lip around the lid is probably the major prevention to water incursion. I've been fortunate to get caught in only one heavy but short rain shower since I've owned it and the frunk stayed completely dry. Being cautious about mucking with things that work well in the state I received the Spyder from the dealer I'm leaving well enough alone because my key frunk release works fine.

Brentc
12-24-2015, 08:55 PM
Are the 2 blocks that are under the tips of the front panels easy enough to get from the dealer or would any similar closed cell foam work? Mine have both disappeared and I would like to replace them.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Now hurry off to bed before Santa skips over you.......

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-24-2015, 09:18 PM
Please don't shoot the messenger,Mike. I was just relating what's in the service manual. For the hell of it I went out and did the test where the picture showed to do it and it failed on both sides. You are 100% right that the lip around the lid is probably the major prevention to water incursion. I've been fortunate to get caught in only one heavy but short rain shower since I've owned it and the frunk stayed completely dry. Being cautious about mucking with things that work well in the state I received the Spyder from the dealer I'm leaving well enough alone because my key frunk release works fine.
:yikes:...Not shooting anyone Jay, least of all you :roflblack:.....my concern was that someone attempting to get the FRUNK seal perfect ....might over-tighten it ....and then the KEY might actually snap....( this has happened ),, My FRUNK is tight, probably more than yours because I don't use the KEY to open it ( EVER ).......But even so, I find that it gets dust inside all the time........this means the rubber SEAL isn't sealing.....and I don't think it ever will or even can. Soooooooooo I just wanted people to know so they wouldn't try to achieve something that isn't going to happen...........we good :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:......Mike :popcorn::popcorn:

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-24-2015, 09:22 PM
Are the 2 blocks that are under the tips of the front panels easy enough to get from the dealer or would any similar closed cell foam work? Mine have both disappeared and I would like to replace them.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Now hurry off to bed before Santa skips over you.......
.......................Yep mine disappeared a long time ago also.....I had some weather seal type foam that has a sticky side ( mine was 5/8 thick ) and I used that....1 + yrs and counting......works great.......Mike :thumbup:......................And if you want your HOOD to pop open , if you have any left over pieces of carpet underlayment foam cut a couple of 3in squares and lay them in the HINGE....This will push open the Hood

finless
12-27-2015, 01:01 PM
In my Tri-axis handlebar install video I show how to adjust the frunk latch.

It's in part 3 here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfRlqmgnr6I

Bob

rwc
12-28-2015, 07:19 AM
[QUOTE=BLUEKNIGHT911;1074247]:yes::yes::yes:....Merry Christmas....I can help you fix both problems

I followed your instructions and problem is solved for now. Gentle push to latch and almost no pressure on key to open. Will try to install cable release to side as you suggested at later date when I have more confidence.

Again thanks for the help. It was right on the money.

Rod

Bob Denman
12-28-2015, 08:12 AM
:congrats: :clap:

jaherbst
12-28-2015, 10:27 AM
I would highly recommend "Silicon " be applied to all seals. Spray some on a rag and occasionally wipe down the seals. Seals can stick and pull off when opening the trunk, side bags, trunk and the seals on your BRP trailers. Mine stuck and pulled away. Now having a terrible time getting new seals from "Shopatron" the BRP USA distributor in Sacramento.

Have been told four times they have shipped with a tracking number but no delivery dates. Will call again this morning and if not actually shipped will call Pay Pal and cancel. These seals for the RT-622 trailer can be bought from Harvey at "Spyder Pops" Wish I would have known this earlier.

I bought my silicon spray at "Home Depot".

Jack