PDA

View Full Version : oil....

scott
02-05-2009, 03:00 PM
as a new spyder keeper I really appriciate all the information I have recieved from this site---so---along that line....what type of oil do you all think the spyder likes best ?

zzneonzz
02-05-2009, 03:33 PM
I stick with the BRP Synthetic myself. Its a bit pricey but i know it has everything they recomend and doesn't have the things the spyder doesn't like.

babyanlee
02-05-2009, 03:41 PM
:agree:

BajaRon
02-05-2009, 04:25 PM
:bdh:
Might as well just skip all the usual 'OIL' stuff and get right to the heart of the matter!

Of course BRP does not explore, drill, pump, transport or refine any petroleum products, including oil. What they do is put their label on someone else's product.

Nothing wrong with that, Honda, Harley, Yamaha, Ford and everyone else does the same thing. The only down side is that you can get the identical product (with a different label) for less money.

The only part of a can of oil that is BRP is the label (which you throw away). But it makes people feel better to pour something out of a container with the manufacture's name on it.

Honda's run better on Honda oil, Ford's run longer on Ford oil, etc.

So be it! Let the Oil Wars begin!

sleepman
02-05-2009, 04:26 PM
:yikes: the proverbial oil thread. If you don't want to shell out for the cost of the BRP oil just find something that meets BRP recommendations in the owners manual. I've used Castrol synthetic with no problems. However I went ahead and bought the service plan from my dealer that includes free oil changes, so I'll be using the BRP oil.

With that being said, welcome:congrats:

bnlrobinson
02-05-2009, 04:36 PM
I've heard good things about Royal Purple, I believe it is pricey but for the :spyder:it's probably worth it.:congrats:

Donzo
02-05-2009, 04:52 PM
I've heard good things about Royal Purple, I believe it is pricey but for the :spyder:it's probably worth it.:congrats:

I use Royal Purple in my Can-am Outlander 800 - good stuff. I am pretty sure it has a SM rating which is a no-no for the Spyders wet clutch.

ataDude
02-05-2009, 05:30 PM
I rarely post on these types of threads (except for maybe pictures of merry-go-rounds)... but doesn't your Outlander have a wet clutch? I'll bet it does.

I use Royal Purple in my Can-am Outlander 800 - good stuff. I am pretty sure it has a SM rating which is a no-no for the Spyders wet clutch.

bjt
02-05-2009, 06:59 PM
For a little history, read these two old posts.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6273

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6390

I think there are another one or two major oil discussions in old threads but they didn't pop up in my search. If you are curious, I'm sure you could find them.