PDA

View Full Version : newbie questions

wmh9680
12-20-2015, 11:31 AM
Good Morning,
I’ve been looking at the Spyder for a couple of years now. My wife and I have enjoyed 2 wheelers for years. That was really our only hobby. No matter how bad our day was if we came home and hopped on the bike everything was fine.
Well this year she had here 2nd spinal fusion and I’m 65 and my shoulders hurt (I’ve already had one rotator cuff surgery and need 2 more) and I’ve had 4 knee surgeries. Needless to say we are looking at trikes and Spyders. We finally took a Spyder for a ride about a month ago and really liked it (we plan to rent one for a day in the spring). Now I have a few questions about them so here we go.
What is everyone’s opinion about the benefits of the semi-automatic trans (I’ve never used paddle shifters) versus the manual. I mean if you ride bikes you are used to shifting and that was part of the fun. That being said it would be nice to not have to shift up/down all the time and with the automatic maybe my wife might learn to drive it.
How big of a difference is it between the pre 2014’s 990 and the new 1330 engine. I’ve read about heat problems with the 990’s.
The 990 and manual transmission are cheaper to buy so is the money for the 2014 or newer worth the price?
I have read the “Do's & Do Not's” for New Spyder Owners: and it seems very interesting and informative.
We live in the Chicago area (Flossmoor) and heated grips and seat would be nice. My wife has Reynolds phenomenon and can’t take the cold and as I get older I’m not a big fan either. What about the adjustable suspension? With my wife’s surgeries we need a smoother ride than my Yamaha Virago 1100. We were looking at trikes (Honda-Harley-whatever) and diff trike kits and we think we will be happier with the Spyder. I have always done most of the work on my bikes and cars and was concerned about doing so on a Spyder.
Any info/opinions on diff years or features would be greatly appreciated.
I recently went to a dealer and put a drop cloth under the bike to get the footprint of it to see what I will have to do to fit it into my garage. One day I would like to bring one home to actually try it. We are looking at the Touring model. Thanks, Mike

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-20-2015, 12:09 PM
:welcome:You've come to ...." ANSWERLAND "...In 7 years I have owned 3 spyders...2 had the 990 engine and now I have an RT ( semi-auto ) with the 1330 engine. You could not give me a Spyder with the 1330 engine for 4 good reasons ....Expense, maintenance, noise, smell. And the Auto trans. isn't FULL auto .....You need to shift up ....it will auto shift down ( or you can do it manually )...But there is no clutch....I have the semi-auto and would never go back to a manual again.........And please do not even consider a REGULAR trike ie. GoldWing or H.D. , they S*UCK in handling and comfort compared to a Spyder.........Good Luck .....Mike :thumbup:....Look at the Ad here ....IMotorsports ...they will ship to you for FREE and they take trades :yes:

Bob Denman
12-20-2015, 12:17 PM
:welcome:
1330, versus 998: The triple has Gobs more low-end torque, and the new clutch engagement setup no longer has you worrying about keeping the rpms up.
With the 6th forward gear, it even gives MUCH better fuel economy!

Paddles, versus Clutch levers; It all comes down to "Whatever floats your goat!" :D
I had to switch to an "ESSIE" due to a weak left ankle. Knowing what I know now; I'd have switched anyway! :2thumbs:

Is it all worth the price? :dontknow:
That's for you and your "Best-Half", to decide... :D

Darren111
12-20-2015, 02:05 PM
Speaking from a newbies view with no previous riding experience. I have an Semi-Automatic F3 and mastered the down and upshifting after a few hours of riding. As mentioned by BLUEKNIGHT911 the Spyder "it will auto shift down ( or you can do it manually) and this is great for someone new to riding like myself.
Semi automatic versus manual? I never test rode a manual F3 and if I was going to buy another Spyder (4 to 5 years time) I would test ride a manual and find out if it would be easy for me to master.

You mentioned heated grips, as a newbie I have found these a god send to have and have used my heated grips for 100% of riding time since starting to ride (mainly cold weather).

Rocketman 2012
12-20-2015, 02:34 PM
"You could not give me a Spyder with the 1330 engine for 4 good reasons ....Expense, maintenance, noise, smell. And the Auto trans. isn't FULL auto .....You need to shift up ....it will etc etc." Quote Blueknight.

I think you meant you could not give me a Spyder the V-twin engine---etc etc?????

Sam:yes:

Cruzr Joe
12-20-2015, 02:43 PM
:welcome:You've come to ...." ANSWERLAND "...In 7 years I have owned 3 spyders...2 had the 990 engine and now I have an RT ( semi-auto ) with the 1330 engine. You could not give me a Spyder with the 1330 engine for 4 good reasons ....Expense, maintenance, noise, smell. And the Auto trans. isn't FULL auto .....You need to shift up ....it will auto shift down ( or you can do it manually )...But there is no clutch....I have the semi-auto and would never go back to a manual again.........And please do not even consider a REGULAR trike ie. GoldWing or H.D. , they S*UCK in handling and comfort compared to a Spyder.........Good Luck .....Mike :thumbup:....Look at the Ad here ....IMotorsports ...they will ship to you for FREE and they take trades :yes:

BlueKnight:

You need to read your post again ................. it is confusing, first off there is no Automatic, it is either semi-auto or manual.

Cruzr Joe

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-20-2015, 02:44 PM
"You could not give me a Spyder with the 1330 engine for 4 good reasons ....Expense, maintenance, noise, smell. And the Auto trans. isn't FULL auto .....You need to shift up ....it will etc etc." Quote Blueknight.

I think you meant you could not give me a Spyder the V-twin engine---etc etc?????

Sam:yes:..:gaah::gaah::gaah: OMG .......I'm glad you caught my mis-take ....I went back and corrected my original post ........Thanks much......I would hate to have Him buy a " V-Twin " on my recommendation :yikes::yikes::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::ro flblack:......Mike :thumbup:

Cruzr Joe
12-20-2015, 02:50 PM
Good Morning,
I’ve been looking at the Spyder for a couple of years now. My wife and I have enjoyed 2 wheelers for years. That was really our only hobby. No matter how bad our day was if we came home and hopped on the bike everything was fine.
Well this year she had here 2nd spinal fusion and I’m 65 and my shoulders hurt (I’ve already had one rotator cuff surgery and need 2 more) and I’ve had 4 knee surgeries. Needless to say we are looking at trikes and Spyders. We finally took a Spyder for a ride about a month ago and really liked it (we plan to rent one for a day in the spring). Now I have a few questions about them so here we go.
What is everyone’s opinion about the benefits of the semi-automatic trans (I’ve never used paddle shifters) versus the manual. I mean if you ride bikes you are used to shifting and that was part of the fun. That being said it would be nice to not have to shift up/down all the time and with the automatic maybe my wife might learn to drive it.
How big of a difference is it between the pre 2014’s 990 and the new 1330 engine. I’ve read about heat problems with the 990’s.
The 990 and manual transmission are cheaper to buy so is the money for the 2014 or newer worth the price?
I have read the “Do's & Do Not's” for New Spyder Owners: and it seems very interesting and informative.
We live in the Chicago area (Flossmoor) and heated grips and seat would be nice. My wife has Reynolds phenomenon and can’t take the cold and as I get older I’m not a big fan either. What about the adjustable suspension? With my wife’s surgeries we need a smoother ride than my Yamaha Virago 1100. We were looking at trikes (Honda-Harley-whatever) and diff trike kits and we think we will be happier with the Spyder. I have always done most of the work on my bikes and cars and was concerned about doing so on a Spyder.
I recently went to a dealer and put a drop cloth under the bike to get the footprint of it to see what I will have to do to fit it into my garage. One day I would like to bring one home to actually try it. We are looking at the Touring model. Thanks, Mike

I would recommend that you test ride a 14 or newer RT series Spyder with the semi-auto transmission. less problems than the 998 V Twin and less expensive on maintenance, and with the reverse front fans it is a lot cooler bike, also a Spyder puts less stress on your upper body than a traditional 3 wheeler.

Cruzr Joe

Cruzr Joe
12-20-2015, 02:52 PM
Speaking from a newbies view with no previous riding experience. I have an automatic F3 and mastered the down and upshifting after a few hours of riding. As mentioned by BLUEKNIGHT911 the Spyder "it will auto shift down ( or you can do it manually) and this is great for someone new to riding like myself.
Semi automatic versus manual? I never test rode a manual F3 and if I was going to buy another Spyder (4 to 5 years time) I would test ride a manual and find out if it would be easy for me to master.

You mentioned heated grips, as a newbie I have found these a god send to have and have used my heated grips for 100% of riding time since starting to ride (mainly cold weather).

Darrin:

you also have a Semi-Automatic, Can Am does not make a Spyder with an automatic transmission.

Cruzr Joe

Brentc
12-20-2015, 02:57 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of all things Spyder. One thing I'd like to mention is that there seems to be a thought floating around the motorcycle world that Spyders and trikes are the bike you get when you get old and can't ride the two wheelers anymore. Not the case, I'm in my mid forties, have ridden two wheelers for the past 20 years, and can ride a HONDA CBR1100 as well as the next 20 year old. I did however choose a Spyder with my wife because we have gotten past that phase in life and to us it's all about enjoying the ride in comfort and style.
My wife and I have had our 2014 se6 rts since April of this year. We have no other Spyders to compare it to, but I have ridden the f3 that the dealer loaned me when I was in for service and we both love the bike we picked. As for the manual shifting, I don't miss it one bit. As for heated grips and seat, your right on with that. I just got back from a two hour ride today, it is 40 degrees out there, and I was not cold with the grips on.
I would highly recommend your wife and yourself taking a little test drive. After taking my wife to the dealership, she couldn't wait and picked out the color she wanted the first trip to the dealer. We haven't looked back yet.

Welcome aboard and good luck.

Highwayman2013
12-20-2015, 03:14 PM
Good Morning,
Welcome, you will like the RT it is a fine machine. If you can swing the money for a '14 or newer then go with that but we have a 2012 RT and can say that is a fine machine as well. There are many accessories made for the RT by Can Am and various other vendors. Ebay is your friend for an idea of prices on new and used RT's. The air ride on the rear suspension is very smooth too.

Darren111
12-20-2015, 03:27 PM
Darrin:

you also have a Semi-Automatic, Can Am does not make a Spyder with an automatic transmission.

Cruzr Joe

I have now edited my post to show "Semi-Automatic." :thumbup:

Cruzr Joe
12-20-2015, 03:32 PM
I have now edited my post to show "Semi-Automatic." :thumbup:

Thanks,:thumbup::thumbup: sometime when a newbie see's automatic, they think that there are three options, when there are only two, semi-automatic and manual.

Cruzr joe

Cruzr Joe
12-20-2015, 03:33 PM
Welcome, you will like the RT it is a fine machine. If you can swing the money for a '14 or newer then go with that but we have a 2012 RT and can say that is a fine machine as well. There are many accessories made for the RT by Can Am and various other vendors. Ebay is your friend for an idea of prices on new and used RT's. The air ride on the rear suspension is very smooth too.

Well said, thanks

Cruzr Joe

k7xi
12-20-2015, 03:45 PM
You have 3 shoulders and 4 knees ?? You'll fit right in here.;) GRIN NOW

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-20-2015, 04:37 PM
BlueKnight:

You need to read your post again ................. it is confusing, first off there is no Automatic, it is either semi-auto or manual.

Cruzr Joe.............:gaah:..:lecturef_smilie:... Actually you need to read my post again , I was referencing what the OP said " Automatic " trans.........I corrected Him stating " Semi-Auto ", with an explanation....your welcome ......Mike

robmorg
12-20-2015, 05:25 PM
I'll just second what everyone else said, with an additional comment on the semi-automatic transmission...

Yeah, you are used to the toe shifter that motorcycles have, but it does not take long to appreciate the ease and smoothness of the semi-automatic. And the hand paddles are just as fun to use as the toe shifter, but they are much easier to use. No more "trying to find neutral", or missed gears, or having to manually down-shift through every gear every time you stop, etc. Having also ridden motorcycles for years before buying the Spyder, I'm very glad I opted for the semi-automatic. For me, it's a lot more enjoyable to use. As others have said, you MUST manually shift up with the semi-automatic, while down-shifting is entirely at your discretion. So it's not an automatic transmission in the conventional sense. (Which is what makes it just as fun to use.) :thumbup:

bmccaffrey
12-20-2015, 07:26 PM
.............:gaah:..:lecturef_smilie:... Actually you need to read my post again , I was referencing what the OP said " Automatic " trans.........I corrected Him stating " Semi-Auto ", with an explanation....your welcome ......Mike

You didn't read Joe's thread read before you post :lecturef_smilie:

Lew L
12-20-2015, 07:53 PM
My wife also has it----- a bit ghostly. One thing that helped in our decision to get an RT-S-----It has heated PASSINGER GRIPS. Air ride rear suspension is good too. We came from crusising on 2 wheels also and she feels much better now. I still put-put around on either the Valkyrie or the V-Max.

Maybe consider waiting untill all those surgeries have healed before dropping big monies on a ride that won't get used for a while????

Kaos

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-20-2015, 08:34 PM
You didn't read Joe's thread read before you post :lecturef_smilie:
...This is the kind of crap that caused me to stay off the board the last time...Joe is a big boy and can stand up for Himself, I'm sure. So why don't you mind your own business, instead of trying to start trouble. Since this is a family oriented board I'll just leave it at :cus: :cus: :cus: :cus: :cus:......

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-20-2015, 08:52 PM
Darrin:

Cruzr Joe
I would argue it's not a semi-automatic either. That, to me, implies an automatic type transmission that you shift manually. The Spyder transmission is a manual transmission with an electric shift module added on. The trans is not bands, plates, and plantary gears like an automatic. It is solid gears with synchromesh shifting executed by the electric/hydraulic shift module.

wmh9680, as far as shifting the SE (which means Shift Electric) the real difference between the Spyder and what you are used to is you substitute the use of your thumb and first finger for your foot and all four fingers. And you never will find yourself at a stop sign having to shift from 5th to 1st because you didn't downshift before stopping. The Spyder is always, well 99.9999% of the time, in 1st when you come to a stop.

As far a trike comparisons I'll share this. A lady in out Spyder chapter recently moved from a Harley Sportser to an F3. She took a trike rider training course. The instructor told her to make some turns sharp enough and fast enough to lift the inside wheel so she would know how and when it can happen. She told him it won't do it. He did not believe her so he said he would show her how. Well, he got on her F3 and found out pretty quickly you can't. She said he was duly impressed. All the other trikes will lift an inside wheel as the prelude to rolling over. The Spyder most likely never will because of Nanny!

As for myself, a year ago as I was coming home from a 7000 mile trip I stopped for gas. As I was walking into the truck stop it dawned on me that I was feeling a whole lot safer on my 2013 RT at 80 mph than I ever did on my 2005 Honda Goldwing at 70 mph.

bmccaffrey
12-20-2015, 09:02 PM
..WTF...this is the kind of crap that caused me to stay off the board the last time...Joe is a big boy and can stand up for Himself, I'm sure. So why don't you mind your own business, instead of trying to start trouble. Since this is a family oriented board I'll just leave it at :cus: :cus: :cus: :cus: :cus:......

Boy u are sensitive with a joke.

Hate to see if someone questioned u. No sense of humor

I quess i apologize:dontknow: yikes

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-20-2015, 09:11 PM
wmh9680, the 998 V-twin is a fine engine and my 2013 RT has been quite a fine ride. But I opted to move up to the 1330 ACE for a few reasons. As has been mentioned the 1330 is a slower turning engine with a lot more torque. It also gets much better gas mileage. I haven't had a chance to ride my '14 RT yet so I don't have a personal comparison to offer. I rode a demo 2015 RT at Spyderfest last spring on about a 1/2 hour ride. Based on that ride I say the 1330 is on par with the Goldwing out on the highway.

What kind of riding do you like to do, easy rides on secondary roads, or a fair amount of hauling a** on an Interstate? If the former the 998 engine will serve you well. But I'm on the Interstate quite a bit and I found the 998 to be lacking on top end oomph. It's slow passing semis at 70 mph + on the Interstate, especially if you have a head wind. The 998 suffers from lack of push against hard head winds. I encountered one last summer where I could not get above about 73 in 4th gear, and lost speed in 5th. Gas mileage went into the toilet too, only about 17 mpg for that stretch.

If you keep a sharp eye out you can probably find a near new 2014 RT for a great price. There are a couple of RT-S here on the board that you may be able to drive a good bargain on. I just bought a 2014 RT-S with only 645 miles on the clock for $18,000. It has no add-ons. Check Craigslist every few days. The really hot buys don't last.

bmccaffrey
12-20-2015, 09:20 PM

Please PM if u have an issue with my apologize.

We can WORK it OUT !

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-20-2015, 09:21 PM
[QUOTE=bmccaffrey;1073103]Boy u are sensitive with a joke.

I quess i apologize:dontknow: yikes[/QUOTE ...Learn how to write a joke and I will laugh.....This :lecturef_smilie: is not the joke emoticon.....this :roflblack: or :ohyea:or :yes:might be considered as a thing said in " jest " .......and apology accepted ....Mike :thumbup:

Cruzr Joe
12-20-2015, 09:46 PM
..WTF...this is the kind of crap that caused me to stay off the board the last time...Joe is a big boy and can stand up for Himself, I'm sure. So why don't you mind your own business, instead of trying to start trouble. Since this is a family oriented board I'll just leave it at :cus: :cus: :cus: :cus: :cus:......

[QUOTE=bmccaffrey;1073103]Boy u are sensitive with a joke.

I quess i apologize:dontknow: yikes[/QUOTE ...Learn how to write a joke and I will laugh.....This :lecturef_smilie: is not the joke emoticon.....this :roflblack: or :ohyea:or :yes:might be considered as a thing said in " jest " .......and apology accepted ....Mike :thumbup:

Chill out. (no emoticons)

Cruzr Joe

Cruzr Joe
12-20-2015, 09:49 PM

Don't let it bother you.

Cruzr Joe

wmh9680
12-20-2015, 10:12 PM
Wow, what a great response. It will take a while to learn how to use this forum and respond to all of you. I have been on the Viragotech forum for years and it was great also.

We did test drive a 2015 rts at Imotorsports in Elmhurst, Il. They were great. I would like to try a 2013 or older but I'm really leaning towards a 2014 or newer. They do rent them for a day but not in the winter. We plan on renting one in the spring if we don't buy one first.

Yeah, Karen had here 2nd spine fusion in April and is doing great. The Dr says it shouldn't be a problem to ride again but we are waiting a while. We just won't be riding a 2 wheeler.

Well I don't have 4 knees but I have had 2 surgeries on both and one rotator cuff surgery but unfortunately it tore again and the other should is torn also. I guess I haven't taken too good of care of myself over the years. Thought I was indestructible.

Thanks everyone, I will be around asking ?'s. We are really getting a little hyped already since we didn't get to ride this summer at all.

Thanks, Mike

Utah Geezer
12-20-2015, 10:13 PM
First please don't judge this forum by those that are arguing like children on this post. This is a very good site for information and you will learn to ignore some posts as they are not worth the time and effort to get involved in. Come On Guys. Grow some and don't get your panties in a knot.

Second: I had a 2011 RTL and loved it. I traded up to the 2014 RTL SE6 and have loved it even more than the first one. Didn't think I would ever say that but I guess I also love my second wife more than my first so I should have expected it. I also had a heel/toe shifter cruiser and it took all of one day to appreciate the paddle shifter and semi-automatic transmission of the RTL. Love them both. I also really like the heated grips but I can't speak about the seat as I haven't gone that direction, yet. My wife also has bad knees and is sensitive to suspension and since we transitioned to the Spyder from the motorcycle she can ride all day with no complaints.

Welcome to SpyderLovers and the Spyder Ryding World. The 2014 and newer is definitely worth the extra money. Its an investment in your comfort and experience.

Devious56
12-20-2015, 10:37 PM
I figured you would certainly get some good replies to your questions, but it seems things have gotten a bit carried away. That happens, and usually smooths over, but, I wasn't going to reply here, as I felt there were much more experience folks that would help you out. Anyway, here's my story and I'm sticking to it: I'm an old guy, and have been riding a long time. (76 and riding since 58) I've done some racing, and have ridden most brands and types of motorcycles, and now ride a 2015 Spyder RT Limited, by choice, but that could be argued if you push the right buttons. I enjoy the RT (and so does my wife) more than I did my Harleys (more than a couple since I started riding them in 75) My Spyder is a Trike, and it took me 5 weeks to learn how to ride in NOT like a motorcycle. Yep, I'm stubborn! It's very smooth going down the road, has plenty of power to do most of what ever it is you want to do, is quiet, and give decent gas mileage. It has all the bells and whistles that my Harley Ultra Classic had, but it more comfortable for both of us, sometimes we are still amazed at it even after the 8 weeks and 3,400 miles we've had it, and as long as we can keep the speed over 45 mph we don't get wet in a pouring rain. And, now that I am learning to ride it like a trike, I have to say, its a lot of fun, and will go around a corner pretty damn fast, if you want it to.

If you have any specific questions, ask them directly. When you just ask for opinions, those are sometimes confusing, and hard to describe.

Until later,
David

Cruzr Joe
12-20-2015, 11:05 PM
First please don't judge this forum by those that are arguing like children on this post. This is a very good site for information and you will learn to ignore some posts as they are not worth the time and effort to get involved in. Come On Guys. Grow some and don't get your panties in a knot.

Second: I had a 2011 RTL and loved it. I traded up to the 2014 RTL SE6 and have loved it even more than the first one. Didn't think I would ever say that but I guess I also love my second wife more than my first so I should have expected it. I also had a heel/toe shifter cruiser and it took all of one day to appreciate the paddle shifter and semi-automatic transmission of the RTL. Love them both. I also really like the heated grips but I can't speak about the seat as I haven't gone that direction, yet. My wife also has bad knees and is sensitive to suspension and since we transitioned to the Spyder from the motorcycle she can ride all day with no complaints.

Welcome to SpyderLovers and the Spyder Ryding World. The 2014 and newer is definitely worth the extra money. Its an investment in your comfort and experience.

This is the only person arguing like a child in this thread, if i missed another person acting like a "Child" would you be so kind as to point him/her out. (see Below).

..WTF...this is the kind of crap that caused me to stay off the board the last time...Joe is a big boy and can stand up for Himself, I'm sure. So why don't you mind your own business, instead of trying to start trouble. Since this is a family oriented board I'll just leave it at :cus::cus::cus::cus::cus:......

Cruzr Joe

armyspydervet
12-21-2015, 07:09 AM
The people on this site have been fantastic to a newbie like me. I was very skeptical switching from HD to a Spyder. After visiting this site, I'm glad I did and can't wait to meet many of them in person. I never found an HD site with this much camaraderie.

Commander
12-21-2015, 07:55 AM
I had a 2013 (998)RTL and now have a 2015 (1330)RTL. As far as I am concerned the 2015 is a much better machine.
The 1330 with the 6 speed trans runs smoother, handles better and I feel it is more comfortable than the 998. As a matter of fact my wife was so comfortable she almost fell asleep, I wonder if they sell Bungee cords for Spyders, I told her that was the next step if he falls asleep.

Check out the specs on the different Spyders. Regardless of which one you get you will not be sorry and neither will your wife.

BTW the heated grips are great.

Bob Denman
12-21-2015, 08:11 AM
:shocked: How about if we get a round of Snickers Bars for everybody?? :D

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=121493&stc=1

Devious56
12-21-2015, 09:04 AM
After rereading the original post, I realize that there were some specific questions asked that I didn't address so I thought this morning I wouold add to what I posted last night. Let's see if I can do better:

Paddle shifters vs manual shifting. I feature that I seem to enjoy greatly. Manual shifting, you have no choice, you have to shift, up and down, or you aren't going anywhere. The semi-automatic with paddle shifters, GREAT. You have to shift up, and you can shift at 2,500 rpm in a lazy sort of way, or you can hang onto your hat and pore the coals to it and shift at 7 or 8 thousand rpm while banging thru the gears, your choice. I must say it's nice not having to shift down and let the computer do it, but you can down shift just like your manual tranny if you want to. And a big plus, when you come to a stop, you don't put your foot down and take the chance of getting your pants cuff caught on your foot peg. And we all know what happens next.

As to the comparison between the 990 and 1330, I really can't say as I am a new owner (2 months) of my Spyder, but from what I've learned in this short period, buying a new 2014/2015 model with the 1330 motor was the right choice. Smoother, quitter, cooler running, better gas mileage, less maintenance, it's all good.

Ok, older vs newer. As above, I singled out the 2014/2015 model years because as it seems to me, Can Am has taken what they have learned since coming out with the first Spyder, and steadily improved on the design. Listened to their customers and upgraded every year. Adding features and correcting problems. Maybe not as fast as some would like, but actually doing a pretty good job of it. Since I have a 2015 RT Limited, that is all I can actually talk about, or compare to. I like it much better than most motorcycles I've had, and since I try to ignore my 76 years, still tend to ride aggressively, so have to say, my 1966 Triump was more impressive, as was my 1975 Kawasaki 900 (not counting the 750 cc Kawasaki triple). My V-Max (the first one on the streets of Jacksonville) has to be one of the best all around motorcycles I've had, and the best has to be my Ducati ST4, although my last Harley (2010 Ultra Classic with some additions) was pretty close. This Spyder is very very good, and has all of the features that my Ultra Classic had plus, it has reverse that is power off the motor, not the starter, and I can back it out of the garage very easy, and not have to worry about holding it up while I make a turn while backing.

One last thing and then I'm done, wife wanting to ride. As I said, I've been riding since 1958, got my first bike in 1962, so it has been a while. I got married in 1975, (damn, that's almost 41 years, unbelievable that she has put up with me for so long) and gave her her first motorcycle ride. Anyway, I have tried, all this time, to get he r to learn how to drive a motorcycle, if only for the reason of being able to get us home if something happened to me. With no luck. She had no desire to learn how to drive a motorcycle, and went out of her way to prove that. But, she has now driven the Spyder 3 times, twice down our road (1/2 mile) and into the yard to the garage, and the last time she drove from the highway to the garage, which is close to 2 and 1/2 miles with some of it up to 45 mph. And, I have to say I am very proud of her for this, it was her idea. After the last ride she looked at me sweetly and said, "you know, if I decide I like this enough, you might have to see the bass boat so I can have my own Spyder".

I hope I've helped in answering your questions, and hope you have a Very Merry Christmas. But the Spyder, spend as much as you can afford, but you will spend more on accessories you learn about and can't live with out, Be patient, and learn to ride it as a trike, because that is where the beautiy is. Folks will drive by and smile, give you thumbs up, and tell you how cool it is. It's a wonderful situation.

David

Bob Denman
12-21-2015, 09:12 AM
:D You might as well get the "For Sale" sign ready for that boat... :thumbup:

Devious56
12-21-2015, 09:23 AM
:D You might as well get the "For Sale" sign ready for that boat... :thumbup:

:yes::yes: :banghead::banghead::banghead: :thumbup:

Bob Denman
12-21-2015, 09:26 AM
You're a lucky Man; my Missus is still showing little interest in taking the front seat... :opps:

jaherbst
12-21-2015, 09:46 AM
You're a lucky Man; my Missus is still showing little interest in taking the front seat... :opps:

The "Princess" does take the front seat on occasion. She rode her Dyna Low Rider 20,000 miles but can't get her to buy a second Spyder. Oh well just glad she occasionally rides with me now.

Jack

robmorg
12-21-2015, 09:55 AM
wmh9680, the 998 V-twin is a fine engine and my 2013 RT has been quite a fine ride. But I opted to move up to the 1330 ACE for a few reasons. As has been mentioned the 1330 is a slower turning engine with a lot more torque. It also gets much better gas mileage. I haven't had a chance to ride my '14 RT yet so I don't have a personal comparison to offer. I rode a demo 2015 RT at Spyderfest last spring on about a 1/2 hour ride. Based on that ride I say the 1330 is on par with the Goldwing out on the highway.

What kind of riding do you like to do, easy rides on secondary roads, or a fair amount of hauling a** on an Interstate? If the former the 998 engine will serve you well. But I'm on the Interstate quite a bit and I found the 998 to be lacking on top end oomph. It's slow passing semis at 70 mph + on the Interstate, especially if you have a head wind. The 998 suffers from lack of push against hard head winds. I encountered one last summer where I could not get above about 73 in 4th gear, and lost speed in 5th. Gas mileage went into the toilet too, only about 17 mpg for that stretch.
:agree: I have a 2013 RTL with a 998 engine, and while I have no real desire to trade up to a 1330 I completely agree with your observations. I noticed the lack of oomph on the Interstates last year on my trek to SpyderQuest. But I so seldom go above 70, that I wouldn't trade mine in for that reason alone. And now, after all the heat issues have been resolved and after I've sunk so much money making the RTL mine (see mods link in signature below), I can't think of any reason to trade it in at all. But that's just me. ;)

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-21-2015, 11:38 AM
:agree: I have a 2013 RTL with a 998 engine, and while I have no real desire to trade up to a 1330 I completely agree with your observations. I noticed the lack of oomph on the Interstates last year on my trek to SpyderQuest. But I so seldom go above 70, that I wouldn't trade mine in for that reason alone. And now, after all the heat issues have been resolved and after I've sunk so much money making the RTL mine (see mods link in signature below), I can't think of any reason to trade it in at all. But that's just me. ;)
Fortunately I've sunk so little into farkles, other than the Tri-Axis handlebars and CB radio which I will move to the '14 RTS, that wasn't a huge deterrent for me. But the cost of moving up is what kept me from jumping until I came across the 2014 RT-S with 654 miles in Cognac, the only 2014 color I somewhat like, at $18,000. I figured how could I go wrong? :yes:

Exditchdigger
12-21-2015, 12:12 PM
Boy are we having fun or what:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::r oflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflbla ck:
Ken

Bob Denman
12-21-2015, 12:40 PM
But the cost of moving up is what kept me from jumping until I came across the 2014 RT-S with 654 miles in Cognac, the only 2014 color I somewhat like, at $18,000. I figured how could I go wrong? :yes:

You picked the PERFECT COLOR!! :D :clap:

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-21-2015, 08:35 PM
This is the only person arguing like a child in this thread, if i missed another person acting like a "Child" would you be so kind as to point him/her out. (see Below).

..WTF...this is the kind of crap that caused me to stay off the board the last time...Joe is a big boy and can stand up for Himself, I'm sure. So why don't you mind your own business, instead of trying to start trouble. Since this is a family oriented board I'll just leave it at :cus::cus::cus::cus::cus:......

Cruzr Joe
:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:: roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflbl ack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::r oflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:........ ..............What's so funny is ......you don't know why I'm laughing :dontknow:.............;)

wmh9680
12-21-2015, 09:16 PM
Hello, I;m amazed at the responses. Like I said before I was on a couple of Virago forums (anyone out there ever ridden a Yamaha Virago). The forums were great and this one does also. Now I can't wait to start seriously start shopping. Thanks, Mike

Cruzr Joe
12-21-2015, 09:31 PM
:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:: roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflbl ack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::r oflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:........ ..............What's so funny is ......you don't know why I'm laughing :dontknow:.............;)

And i don't care

Cruzr Joe

DrewNJ
12-21-2015, 10:17 PM

Pampurrs
12-21-2015, 10:44 PM
And i don't care

Cruzr Joe

Good for you Joe. That's one of the reasons I like you and heed your posts, while disregarding so many others.

Pam

ARtraveler
12-21-2015, 11:21 PM
I will stay out of the fight. :yes:

My personal tally.

Five :ani29::ani29::ani29::ani29::ani29:'s. One the manual transmission and the other four were the semi automatics. Got the manual because that was all I could get in 2008. Performance wise and gas mileage--IMO--not much difference. I have grown accustomed to the semi auto and would not go back to the manual.

The spouse will most like to drive her own if she has the semi automatic.

Four with the 998 two cylinder and one with the 1330 three cylinder. IMO--the 1330 three is the better of the two. More lower end torque, quieter, longer service intervals (less money to spend on service). Gas mileage better by almost 10 mpg.

Some of us have opinions that seem to be set in cement. My advice is to always test drive the options and see what seems best for you. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
12-22-2015, 07:46 AM
Welcome back, D! :clap:
Did you add any cash to the "F-3" jar at the craps tables? :D

Bob Denman
12-22-2015, 09:00 AM
:shocked: Since the Snickers Bars don't seem to be working...
Who's ready for some ice cream??

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=121540&stc=1

Devious56
12-22-2015, 09:57 AM
Oh man, do I LIKE ice cream!

David

Ex Winger
12-22-2015, 11:18 AM
:shocked: How about if we get a round of Snickers Bars for everybody?? :D

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=121493&stc=1

They look good but i like Mars bars much better.You have any?:)
Bill

Bob Denman
12-22-2015, 11:35 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=121544&stc=1

Only I already took a bit out of it... :opps:

latony007
12-22-2015, 11:45 AM
Well i agree with most everyone to make sure you get the 1330. The 2013 had all kinds of heat problems so id probably stay away from those and around here the price of used spyders is so close to new ones you might as well buy new and be able to finance easier Etc. The 1330 is a lot smoother, has less vibrations, than the 998 that is for sure. Also they moved the radiator so you dont have all the heat problems or earlier RTs. I almost burned my leg off riding a 2012 on a hot day.

As for the auto vs. manual if you have a problem with you wrist then its a no brainer but i did not get the manual for 3 reasons. 1 being i liked shifting, makes me feeling like im doing something and have more control over the bike (actual or imaginary didnt matter). 2 i found on my semi auto test ride when you pull up to a stop there is no "coasting" to a stop and you have play with the throttle the whole way since you can't just pull in the clutch for neutral. Im sure i could have gotten used to that but i didnt like it after having ridden 2 wheels. 3 was you have to start the bike to get it into neutral which makes it tougher to just move around the garage and it just seemed like another thing to go wrong/service.

I too am in my mid 40's and picked a spyder because my brother has one and i was able to ride it for an extended period of time. Bottom line for me was it was much safer than the cruiser i was taking my wife and kid on rides with and much less of a pain at slow speeds or parking, or more importantly trying to back out of parking lol. It was faster and handled better than a cruiser as well. Anyway i still have my sport bike for as long as i am able to ride it so its certainly nice to have both.

S vs. Base - The Rear suspension is adjustable on both models but the S has push button and the base you have to lift the seat and use an air compressor. Otherwise the differences are heated Passenger grips (they both have heated driver grips) different rims and fenders (i actually like the look of the base better) the S has foglight set up and some little LED and a two tone seat.

In summary get yourself a 2015 or 2016 RT!!

NorCalBud
12-22-2015, 01:32 PM

I'm an owner of a '12RTL and beg to differ with you on the powerband of the 998. Perhaps it's an individual tryke thing, but ours always has Plenty of juice left in 5th past 70mph. I don't even shift into 5th until about 72 then it's hit the throttle and GO! I've never tested the full limit of our ryde, 'cuz the road goes by quick at +90.
Just sayin....

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-22-2015, 09:00 PM
Perhaps it's an individual tryke thing, but ours always has Plenty of juice left in 5th past 70mph. I don't even shift into 5th until about 72 then it's hit the throttle and GO!
I think we differ on what we consider "plenty of juice!" I agree on not shifting into 5th until 70+, but when I want to kick it up to 90 to pass a semi doing 75, and there's a headwind or an uphill slope in the road, the reserve power I want to have is not there.

ARtraveler
12-22-2015, 11:25 PM
I'm an owner of a '12RTL and beg to differ with you on the powerband of the 998. Perhaps it's an individual tryke thing, but ours always has Plenty of juice left in 5th past 70mph. I don't even shift into 5th until about 72 then it's hit the throttle and GO! I've never tested the full limit of our ryde, 'cuz the road goes by quick at +90.
Just sayin....

The power band on the 998 does not really kick in until you have it revved over 6000. You bet it has plenty of power. You just have to make it scream a bit.

The 1330 will pretty much get up and go at 3000 and above. Any gear, any time.

Bob Denman
12-23-2015, 07:53 AM
:agree: But that 20% more torque is put in a place where it's pretty useable on the 1330s... :thumbup:

Devious56
12-23-2015, 07:56 AM
:agree: But that 20% more torque is put in a place where it's pretty useable on the 1330s... :thumbup:

I have to agree with Bob on this, makes it very rideable ..................... not to mention quick.

David

wmh9680
12-25-2015, 11:38 AM
I’ve seen the new F3 and sat on it and I like the relaxed foot position. Problem is we still want a Touring bike. I’ve also thought about getting a RS or ST (998) and ad luggage and other acc to make it a Tourer. Is that practical? Can you ad the heated grips (both) and heated seat ??? to a base RT. I’m still looking at the 2014 RTS or Limited but if I found a RS or ST at the right price it might be tempting. In the beginning I wasn’t planning on spending what an RTS might cost but now I find myself really liking it.

Bob Denman
12-25-2015, 11:41 AM
The trick to turning a bike into a Tourer; when that wasn't what they were designed for... Is to do it without spending so much money on the project, that you end up wishing that you had bought the Tourer in the first place... :shocked:

wmh9680
12-25-2015, 08:59 PM
Yeah, I know. If I did it right attached is a pic of my 1996 Yamaha Virago that I had over $4000 in and sold for 1500. Mike

Devious56
12-25-2015, 09:10 PM
I was told that there is going to be an F3 tourer on sale by August. This came fro Pit Bull Power Sports

David

PatriotRider
12-25-2015, 10:00 PM
Welcome...I wish I had posted a similar request for information & advice like this...

I purchased a 2010 (twin 998cc RT, 5 gears) with extremely low miles that was mechanically nothing but trouble. I also found it underpowered and uncomfortable to operate with my wife aboard...together we are 470# in street clothes. Buying it, in hind sight, was a mistake.

That said, my current 2014 is a dream and I couldn't be happier. It's a black RT Special Edition, a 1330cc 3 cyl, semi auto with the 6 gears, . I'm adding farkles and having a ball working on it and riding it as often as I can.

for me, the semi auto was mandatory. when I ride and make a "spirited" corner, unlike 2 wheels, you are sitting up top the flat seat with the forces to the outside of the turn...physics forces are trying to throw you off the bike sideways. I found shifting & clutching in a right side turn very difficult while holding on with my knees and gripping the pegs against the forces. Piece of cake to stab the paddle shifter up, down, or not at all under all riding conditions.

BTW, add in to your purchase a Baja Ron Sway Bar with metal links, some additional led lighting, especially rear brake lights and mirror turn signals. For me, highway pegs was mandatory.

now is a good time to buy...it's off season for riding in many parts...check out the for sale threads here

Good Luck