PDA

View Full Version : Overheating in Parade

kalavera
02-05-2009, 01:52 AM
This past december 13, 2008, at the Pensacola Christmas Parade, our two Spyders overheated. I know there are people out there that have ridden in high temperatures with no problems. Pensacola was Chilly that night so it should have helped with the overheating problem. I dont know if it was the constant idling or the slow speeds (no higher than 7 mph). We barely hit the throttle, just pulling in and out the clutch using the friction zone to move the bike through the mile and a half parade route. With liquid cooling and the electric fans, it should not have overheated but they did. bars maxed out and the check engine light came on. At the end of the parade, we needed to let them cool down for quite some time before the check engine light and the temp gage went down.

Curious if anyone else has had this issue? Parade riding on an air cooled bike is hell from what I hear, the overheat...its a given. But our bikes are liquid cooled. should not have happened.

We havent had any issues since then, we have even be stuck in traffic with no issues.

Thoughts? Comments?
Help?

zzneonzz
02-05-2009, 06:40 AM
I've heard of some people having heat problems with the spyder. I know my SE5 doesn't cut the fan on till 5 bars are on the display. You might want to check to make sure your fan is cutting on some have had problems with the fan not actually coming on

opticat
02-05-2009, 07:35 AM
"Parade riding on an air cooled bike is hell from what I hear, the overheat...its a given."

Actually, big twin Harleys are rated for "parade duty" and seldom overheat in the conditions you described. Perhaps your fans were not engaging as they should have.

BRPjunkie
02-05-2009, 10:29 AM
I've heard of some people having heat problems with the spyder. I know my SE5 doesn't cut the fan on till 5 bars are on the display. You might want to check to make sure your fan is cutting on some have had problems with the fan not actually coming on

Check the fan relay to make sure that isn't the problem.