PDA

View Full Version : Disc lock doesnt fit. Now what?

kalavera
02-05-2009, 01:38 AM
I was just curious what everyone here uses for securing their Spyder? I had a disc lock on my bike before my Spyder and it worked great. There doesnt seen to be enough clearance between the disc and the wheel to get the lock on.

Besides the obvious, Alarm System, what are my other options? Cable lock through the wheel? Bicycle lock through the wheel? An Auto club through the wheel?

I do lock the handlebars. But was hoping there was more I could do when I have to park it outside and not sure about the area.

sleepman
02-05-2009, 05:07 AM
I'm pretty comfortable just leaving the Spyder parked, I usually won't even mess with locking the steering. I'm not too worried about someone driving off with the Spyder in the back of their pickup.:D

Magic Man
02-05-2009, 07:10 AM
Have you tried on your rear disk yet? :dontknow:

If it won't roll it won't roll doesent matter which wheel stops it.:thumbup:

MM

vt228
02-05-2009, 07:23 AM
get a lojack alarm on bike if you want to feel safe but i lock the handle bars and its safe that way.

M2Wild
02-05-2009, 08:26 AM
Have you tried on your rear disk yet? :dontknow:

I had to put my lock on the rear wheel because it won't fit between the rim and disc on the front. One of the two lock had a thicker shank which wouldn't fit any disc on the spyder. I figure the lock and alarm will give me enough time to get my 12Ga. out.:yes:

kalavera
02-05-2009, 08:31 AM
I'm pretty comfortable just leaving the Spyder parked, I usually won't even mess with locking the steering. I'm not too worried about someone driving off with the Spyder in the back of their pickup.:D

Yeah I guess I dont have to worry about someone throwing the bike into a van like this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swfDcNujb_U

FANG
02-05-2009, 08:36 AM
I just use the steering lock that is standard on the :spyder2:. I figure a lock is just to keep honest people honest and if someone wants to steal it :yikes: they will. That's why I have insurance.

BRPjunkie
02-05-2009, 09:33 AM
If you lock the steering and apply the parking brake, it won't roll and two guys can't pick it up. Most thieves might not know how to disengage the parking brake and if your lucky, it will stick anyway. It won't fit in a van and getting it into the bed of a pickup is a hefty lift. I think the easiest way to steal it would be with a trailer. Even then, if it won't roll, it would take a few guys to lift it on a trailer.

M2Wild
02-05-2009, 11:08 AM
Most thieves might not know how to disengage the parking brake and if your lucky, it will stick anyway.

Now there is a thought for not fixing the parking break. Will take them at least 3 minutes to dis-engage it. :D I am old schooled about securing your stuff .... alarm, steering lock and wheel lock. That should keep most of them away but if they really wnat it .... there isn't much you can do about it.

Roaddog2
02-05-2009, 11:17 AM
I'm pretty comfortable just leaving the Spyder parked, I usually won't even mess with locking the steering. I'm not too worried about someone driving off with the Spyder in the back of their pickup.:D:agree:not worried about it :spyder2:

SpyderGirl
02-05-2009, 11:43 AM
I'm more worried about people climbing all over it more than them stealing it. I just leave it in gear and lock the steering.

dltang
02-05-2009, 12:21 PM
I'm more worried about people climbing all over it more than them stealing it. I just leave it in gear and lock the steering.

Yup me too, lock the steering and leave it in gear. I am lucky, often times I get to park in the garage at work and that gives me a little feeling of security. But just out and about, I don't really worry too much.

sabunim5
02-05-2009, 05:26 PM
Besides what has already been said, If I am really paranoid about where I am parking the Spyder, I have a huge U type Kryptonite lock that I put through the spokes of the back wheel. Of course, if they steal it they still can't start it, but your Spyder is still gone. :yikes: IMHO I don't believe the odds of Spyder theft are very high. I get the sense that a lot of the people with alarms bought them to keep people off their Spyder, rather than being really worried about it being stolen.

kalavera
02-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Besides what has already been said, If I am really paranoid about where I am parking the Spyder, I have a huge U type Kryptonite lock that I put through the spokes of the back wheel. Of course, if they steal it they still can't start it, but your Spyder is still gone. :yikes: IMHO I don't believe the odds of Spyder theft are very high. I get the sense that a lot of the people with alarms bought them to keep people off their Spyder, rather than being really worried about it being stolen.

was thinking about a Kryptonite lock now that you mention it, i guess thats route I am going...

bnlrobinson
02-06-2009, 12:29 AM
Well, just so all you California and Florida people know, this really hasn't been an issue these past couple of months in OHIO since my :spyder:has been sitting in the garage being guarded by two labs and two cats, and every day being passed by and hoping that the snow will melt.:yikes:

M2Wild
02-06-2009, 08:13 AM
... I get the sense that a lot of the people with alarms bought them to keep people off their Spyder, rather than being really worried about it being stolen.

Yup, something to tell people to keep their hands off the goods. Prox sensor works really good especially if I leave the helmets cable locked on the seat.

effgjamis
02-06-2009, 08:36 AM
Yup, something to tell people to keep their hands off the goods. Prox sensor works really good especially if I leave the helmets cable locked on the seat.

Prox sensor ????? please explain and source..

thank you

M2Wild
02-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Prox sensor ????? please explain and source..

thank you

Proximity sensor available as an option on some motorcycle alarm systems. Range adj. from 1 to 6 feet. Pretty cool stuff. I bought a Talon 3300p from one of the forum member and installed it on the Spyder myself.

kalavera
02-07-2009, 01:35 AM

was thinking about a Kryptonite lock now that you mention it, i guess thats route I am going...

Well I went and picked up a Kryptonite XXXtraTUFF U-Lock (hardened alloy carbon steel). Got it through the front wheel spoke as well as the fender strut. I kept the curly wire from my disc lock, so now I got a reminder cable from the lock to the handlebar.

I am looking for a few "remove before flight" tags now.

Thanks for the input everyone. Proximity Alarm will be later. First gonna take my tax refund to NMN and light up my bike all around.

meathead1978
05-05-2013, 08:40 AM
has anyone or know anyone who has driven off with their disc lock still attached did it do any damage if so what damage did it do?

Netminder
05-05-2013, 08:47 AM
This is more my concern! :yikes:Although when it is parked at home in the basement I use a good cable lock, I am in the process of installing a scorpion alarm system with the perimeter sensor, just for peace of mind:thumbup:.

bruiser
05-05-2013, 09:44 AM
On our RTs we just set the parking brake and leave it in gear. We'll lock the steering also if in an area we know may be a problem.

Kalavera, I can get some of these.

Cavman
05-05-2013, 09:52 AM
"Here's your sign."

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/search/search.php?s=REMOVE+BEFOR+FLIGHT&x=0&y=0

JCSMOKE
05-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Might I recommend a safer area of travel?

scooterexpress
05-05-2013, 11:31 AM
i just take the key out and put in my pocket,if they want it they will have to drag it on to something to much time involved there i believe.

Bob Denman
05-05-2013, 11:56 AM
Remember; these things are large enough that anybody who can "throw" one in a van will be too big to stop without a bazooka anyway! :shocked: http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/14/14_6_13.gif
The starting procedure will keep all but the most determined of :cus: from riding it away as well.
Lock the bars if you wish; lock your storage compartments up, and I'd think that you're good to go! :thumbup:

Chupaca
05-05-2013, 01:55 PM
It's what your comfortable with. You can pull police records for your area and see how safe it is. Then as you can see there are many methods and apparatuses you can use. I'm with those that use what the roadster came with, lock the bars, leave it in gear, use the kill switch and keep an eye on it when possible. Now you have to deal with all this info...good luck..!! :thumbup:

Netminder
05-05-2013, 02:36 PM
Just realized how old the original post was!:yikes: