PDA

View Full Version : Phones where better in 1998

Rogue Hawk
12-17-2015, 05:09 PM
In 1998, I had a land line from a Bell company with an answering machine that recorded my messages on a small cassette tape. When I got home form work, I would listen to my messages, write down whatever I needed to call the person back, and did so within a day. People where just fine with that. They understand your phone is at home so you don't have access to it all the time. So they happily leave a message.

Today, I have Motorola Smart Phone with an online message system. When I get home, I listen to my messages, write down whatever I needed to call the person back, and do so within a day. People are pissed off with that. They assume you have your phone with you at all times and you are always available to answer. So they grudgingly leave a message. If they are really pissed, they send a text message demanding a reason why you did not answer the phone. Then send another text message demanding the reason why you did not respond to the first demanding text message.

Sam Mac
12-17-2015, 05:21 PM
I'm old, I miss rotary dial, I don't have or want a cell phone. Hang Up And drive. Life will go on if I don't get back to you in 2 seconds. Hell maybe I don't even want to get back to you EVER.

bluestratos
12-17-2015, 05:26 PM
Lol... In business the smart phones are our life blood but it is a love/hate relationship. I miss the simplicity of the old days but appreciate what can be accomplished with today's technology. Luckily the next generation has been born into this so it is second nature to them.

Bob Denman
12-17-2015, 05:31 PM
I have no use for Smart Phones... nojoke
I refuse to use one; if it's smarter than me! :shocked:

mowin
12-17-2015, 07:20 PM
I have no use for Smart Phones... nojoke
I refuse to use one; if it's smarter than me! :shocked:

So " you need to be smarter than what your working on" is true...:shocked:

JerryB
12-17-2015, 07:28 PM
Hi Bob,

Re: I refuse to use one; if it's smarter than me!

So why are you using a computer? :yikes:

Jerry Baumchen

Bob Denman
12-17-2015, 07:58 PM
It's the "duality of Man",,, :D

Sam Mac
12-17-2015, 08:12 PM
I just got used to two cans and a string 2.0 and now I need to upgrade to 3.5? I'll tell ya this tech stuff is out of control. :yikes::yikes:

Deer Slayer
12-17-2015, 09:03 PM
Nothing like a smart phone with a dumb ass holding it driving.:yikes:

retread
12-17-2015, 09:07 PM
I've got an iphone, according to my last bill, I used less than 30 minutes of talk/text, and 23.5 Mb of data, mostly updating apps I don't use. I'm seriously considering going back to a flip phone, or dropping my cell altogether. On the other hand, I'm working on a deal for a new computer that supposedly will do everything but wash dishes for me.

john

Bob Denman
12-17-2015, 09:17 PM
When you find one that does; Please call me! :2thumbs:

Saluda
12-17-2015, 10:23 PM
Electronic leash.

Cavman
12-18-2015, 06:00 PM
Back in the late 1980's when there were mobile phones that the common folks couldn't afford, I could make phone calls with my Icom IC-02AT handie talkie with an autopatch. It cost me $25 a year weather I made one phone call or 1000 phone calls.
If there is some kind of disaster and the cell phone system is overwhelmed or down, I can still use an autopatch. Is technology great or what?