PDA

View Full Version : Help with trunk issue.

Buggy
12-16-2015, 08:53 PM
I got around to installing Tric led 3rd and 4th brake lights....five hours later and more adventures in Spyder disassembly then I expected I am much more familiar with Spyder construction then I expected to be. I will save you the details but my trunk will now not lock. I took the rear trunk panel off again a number of times but the lid does not engage the latches.
All the screws are in and the panel looks to fit perfectly but I must be missing something.
I am going to give it a go again tomorrow. Anyone else ever deal with this problem?

JayBros
12-16-2015, 08:57 PM
Search here on SL as there have been others who've experienced the same problem. As I understand there are pins or some such devices on the body panels that while appearing properly installed are not quite so and they keep the trunk from locking.

cptjam
12-17-2015, 01:53 AM
Remove panel, 8 screws. Flip over. Top center, find a small tab. See slot in back where tab goes. Replace panel, making certain tab goes in slot.

dfireman1
12-17-2015, 07:36 AM
It could be that your brake light was installed too high up. check this simple thing first.:opps:

Bob Denman
12-17-2015, 08:13 AM
Remove panel, 8 screws. Flip over. Top center, find a small tab. See slot in back where tab goes. Replace panel, making certain tab goes in slot.

Yup! :agree: That little tab has to engage properly... Everything will bolt back together, but the latch won't engage... :shocked:

I've been bitten by this one TWICE! :opps:

OverHillAndDale
12-17-2015, 08:56 AM

I had the same issue and cptjam has nailed the solution. The trunk reassembly can look correct but unless the tab is where it's supposed to be the trunk won't latch.

Buggy
12-17-2015, 10:44 AM
Thanks guys.....

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-17-2015, 11:05 AM
....I had the same problem and fixed mine without a complete dis-assembly, loosen the latch bolts slightly and then close the trunk.....the catches may be able to align the latch......it did on mine ........Mike :thumbup:

Buggy
12-17-2015, 02:02 PM
Found tab....inserted tab....problem solved with thanks to all!

I am no longer a Tupperware virgin having had to remove the rear panel, lower black panel and left taillight assembly to complete the install. Feels good to have tackled that demon:clap:

goat232
12-17-2015, 04:45 PM
....I had the same problem and fixed mine without a complete dis-assembly, loosen the latch bolts slightly and then close the trunk.....the catches may be able to align the latch......it did on mine ........Mike :thumbup:
I also had to do it the same way you did. Just tool a little while to figure it out . goat232

Bob Denman
12-17-2015, 05:35 PM
Found tab....inserted tab....problem solved with thanks to all!

I am no longer a Tupperware virgin having had to remove the rear panel, lower black panel and left taillight assembly to complete the install. Feels good to have tackled that demon:clap:

:congrats: :clap: :2thumbs:

jerpinoy
12-17-2015, 06:30 PM
Never quit until you succeed is my motto. Congrats.

Utah Geezer
12-20-2015, 10:36 PM
That's what I love about this site. Lots of good people willing to help out.

cptjam
12-21-2015, 03:11 AM
Glad to help. Joe

PatriotRider
01-02-2016, 04:00 PM
THIS IS WHY I LOVE THIS FORUM SO MUCH IN SUCH A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME

Before I pulled the back panels off again after installing my TriLED light kits, I googled "rt trunk won't latch" and found this thread about the tab upon re-installation of the painted back panel across the back. Made the adjustment and poof...trunk closed and latched again.

boy, I'm still not sure how to install that panel without breaking off the forward tabs that key to the top inside of the side bags with the passenger grab handle in the way. I found them broken and glued them back on with some Loctite plastic glue, but they still couldn't bend enough to slip in their slots undamaged.

miracles of miracles after all that work, I still had the exact number of bolts and hardware to put back without extras.

woo hoo...let's ride

ARtraveler
01-02-2016, 04:51 PM
:2thumbs::bowdown::2thumbs:

Bob Denman
01-02-2016, 06:21 PM
THIS IS WHY I LOVE THIS FORUM SO MUCH IN SUCH A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME

Before I pulled the back panels off again after installing my TriLED light kits, I googled "rt trunk won't latch" and found this thread about the tab upon re-installation of the painted back panel across the back. Made the adjustment and poof...trunk closed and latched again.

boy, I'm still not sure how to install that panel without breaking off the forward tabs that key to the top inside of the side bags with the passenger grab handle in the way. I found them broken and glued them back on with some Loctite plastic glue, but they still couldn't bend enough to slip in their slots undamaged.

miracles of miracles after all that work, I still had the exact number of bolts and hardware to put back without extras.

woo hoo...let's ride

:shocked: That's the only part of the process that terrifies me... :yikes:
It's almost as if you need about six hands, to bend everything is fourteen different directions at once!

cptjam
01-02-2016, 07:42 PM
No tricks; remove 8 screws. Use a soft item (a Popsicle stick works) to make sure the dirt has not glued the panel in place anywhere. Use the stick a couple inches above the passenger hand holds, and bow the panel out enough to get your hand on it. Use the other hand to protect the lower tabs as you lift. Gets easier with practice! Joe

Bob Denman
01-03-2016, 08:43 AM
:D Does it matter what flavor the popsicle was?? :dontknow:

Peter Aawen
01-03-2016, 06:17 PM
:D Does it matter what flavor the popsicle was?? :dontknow:

Yep! It hadta be orange.... Unless your Spyder is cognac, in which case it hasta be raspberry. nojoke

Now, about that bridge you wanted to buy.... :rolleyes:

KJWEB
03-03-2016, 02:01 PM
ok, I have had the panel off and put back on again. I had to take it apart to do my trailer wiring. Now, I can't get the panel back on. I know about the tabs on the panel. Is there a certain sequence for sliding the tabs in and then getting the sides to slide down into the slots?

OverHillAndDale
03-04-2016, 09:05 AM
I can only answer because I've had this issue TWICE!!:yikes:

Install that last panel piece (goes from one side to the other across the trunk has the tab in the middle. It's more flexible than you might expect and you have to flex it quite a bit to get everything in place.

Install one side, say the left in the slot as far as it will go to where you can see that the screw holes in the panel are roughly lined up with nuts in the hole
Do the same on the right side.
Install 1 screw loosely on each side to hold them in place.
Now the tab. I foolishly tried to get it in the slot by moving the painted panel and it wouldn't work. :bowdown: Capnjam advised me to press down on the black plastic trunk piece that has the slot, and it popped straight on in. :yes: Getting this right is the most critical component.
Put in the 4 screws around the trunk. If the slot is in place this should be easy.
Put in the remaining screw in each side, snug everything up.

:clap:

KJWEB
03-04-2016, 09:12 AM
I can only answer because I've had this issue TWICE!!:yikes:

Install that last panel piece (goes from one side to the other across the trunk has the tab in the middle. It's more flexible than you might expect and you have to flex it quite a bit to get everything in place.

Install one side, say the left in the slot as far as it will go to where you can see that the screw holes in the panel are roughly lined up with nuts in the hole
Do the same on the right side.
Install 1 screw loosely on each side to hold them in place.
Now the tab. I foolishly tried to get it in the slot by moving the painted panel and it wouldn't work. :bowdown: Capnjam advised me to press down on the black plastic trunk piece that has the slot, and it popped straight on in. :yes: Getting this right is the most critical component.
Put in the 4 screws around the trunk. If the slot is in place this should be easy.
Put in the remaining screw in each side, snug everything up.

:clap:

I'll give that sequence a shot. All of the tupperware pieces, I hate taking and putting this piece on. :banghead:

Cruzr Joe
03-04-2016, 12:19 PM
Yup! :agree: That little tab has to engage properly... Everything will bolt back together, but the latch won't engage... :shocked:

I've been bitten by this one TWICE! :opps:

:agree::agree::agree::agree: Tab has to be in place or you will pull your hair out wondering why it won't lock.

Cruzr Joe

Cruzr Joe
03-04-2016, 12:23 PM
I'll give that sequence a shot. All of the tupperware pieces, I hate taking and putting this piece on. :banghead:

Just be gentle and it will fit, don't be gentle with a big hammer.

Cruzr Joe

KJWEB
03-04-2016, 12:27 PM
So basically, if I hold my tongue in the right position, say four or more cuss words, pull out some hair, swear that I'm never taking this piece off again.....it will go right back on! :yikes::D

OverHillAndDale
03-04-2016, 12:29 PM
Just be gentle and it will fit, don't be gentle with a big hammer.

Cruzr Joe

I concur - I used to think a hammer and vice-grips could be used to fix anything.

If you're tupperware is already assembled EXCEPT for the tab, just try pushing down on the black plastic piece that has the slot, just in front of the painted tupperware. It may just pop into place.

OverHillAndDale
03-04-2016, 12:33 PM
So basically, if I hold my tongue in the right position, say four or more cuss words, pull out some hair, swear that I'm never taking this piece off again.....it will go right back on! :yikes::D

You're on the right track, but you forgot the beer and cigar :cheers: !

kitkat61
06-09-2016, 09:59 PM
I love this forum. Today I received my LEDs from LaMonster and of course had to install immediately. Was so proud of doing it all by myself ... until the trunk wouldn't latch. :opps: Broke down and asked hubby for help, but he couldn't get it to latch either.

And then when testing the lights, I got the hyperflash, even though I have a 2015 RT-S and they aren't supposed to do that.
Well on this thread I found the latch solution, [yes the little tab got me too! :gaah:] and another thread I found out how to calibrate the RT to get rid of the hyperflash.

You guys ROCK!! :yes: :yes: :yes: