PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a trip to Mount Ruhsmore area

reknhevn
12-14-2015, 10:30 PM
My wife and I are thinking about a trip to Mount Rushmore next year on our 2013 RT. When would be the best time of year to go for good weather?
We will be leaving from our home here on the Olympic peninsula in Wa state traveling West to the Dakotas.

GOZFST
12-14-2015, 10:56 PM
June -late Sept. June is going to have cool mornings and warm days, same with Sept and actually Oct. July and Aug can get pretty warm, but very little humidity. One of the great things about the Hills is there is quite an elevation and weather pattern differences in a short distance. You can have it 100 in Rapid City and 80 in Lead or Custer. Thunderstorms and hail are not infrequent in July and Aug. I ran into one last Aug near Keystone and did $1300 damage to my Spyder before I could find a place to hide. Lots of great roads and scenery. Iron Mtn road, Spearfish Canyon, Vanocker Canyon, Nemo Rd,Badlands Loop, Custer State Park, Deadwood, Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse.

JkRbbt
12-14-2015, 11:05 PM
That's funny! I live here, near Rushmore, and I was thinking of visiting the Olympic Peninsula! :D Good motoring around here mid-May thru mid Oct, BUT, you might catch some weather in the Rockies after the first part of Sept., so be careful. Also, don't forget that Sturgis Bike Week is the first FULL week of August. LOTS of traffic in the Hills. Unless, of course, you WANT to hit Bike Week! :) Myself, I would recommend May into June or Sept. to avoid some of the summer crowds. Hope that helps!

Big Arm
12-14-2015, 11:18 PM
Do a search for Deadwood 3 Wheel Rally, held July 12th thru 17th

Bfromla
12-15-2015, 12:38 AM
Good way to start the Contiguous States trip. :clap::clap:

TEWKS
12-15-2015, 07:20 AM
If you haven't been, you should on your way visit Glacier NP. It would be so worth the trip. :thumbup: On the west side of the park is a cool old hotel called the Belton Chalet. The going to the sun road through the park is breathtaking! :thumbup:

Pat

Bob Denman
12-15-2015, 08:06 AM
That's funny! I live here, near Rushmore, and I was thinking of visiting the Olympic Peninsula! :D Good motoring around here mid-May thru mid Oct, BUT, you might catch some weather in the Rockies after the first part of Sept., so be careful. Also, don't forget that Sturgis Bike Week is the first FULL week of August. LOTS of traffic in the Hills. Unless, of course, you WANT to hit Bike Week! :) Myself, I would recommend May into June or Sept. to avoid some of the summer crowds. Hope that helps!

:D I was going to mention keeping the Sturgis dates in mind, when planning... :D
I've always wanted to take a run out there for a look-see... :thumbup:
When retirement finally gets here; my bucket list will definitely have to get some serious attention!

Highwayman2013
12-15-2015, 09:57 AM
We did the Black Hills a few years ago, two weeks before the Sturgis rally. There were some vendors setting up so we got to see the area before the crowds. We stayed in Spearfish SD and enjoyed a ride through Spearfish Canyon every morning. The Badlands and Wall are other places not to miss, as well as Crazy Horse. Devils Tower WY is also close.http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=121193&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=121194&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=121195&stc=1

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-15-2015, 10:50 AM
If, as suggested, if you go through Glacier then plan for late June to Sept. Glacier doesn't open up fully until mid-June. The Rockies can be iffy until the end of May. Two years ago I thought I was going to get snowed on east of Bozeman about May 20. It snowed in the mountains.

easysuper
12-15-2015, 11:38 AM
Last year I spent 5 months in Gillette WY. building a Buffalo Wild Wings Bar and Grill and we spent nearly every weekend riding out RT around that part of the country, We did a 4 day trip over the 4th of July and hit some thunder storms and some cold conditions as you are at high elevations most of the time. This is a part of the country that you want to see and spen as much time as you can , coming East or on your way back you want to make Beartooth Pass one of your must do's and do not miss Custer State Park just south of Rushmore.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=121197&stc=1 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=121198&stc=1 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=121199&stc=1 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=121200&stc=1

murphybrown
12-15-2015, 12:42 PM
My wife and I are thinking about a trip to Mount Rushmore next year on our 2013 RT. When would be the best time of year to go for good weather?
We will be leaving from our home here on the Olympic peninsula in Wa state traveling West to the Dakotas.

There will be a Three Wheeler Rally location Deadwood SD.....bunch of us will be attending that rally. In my case I will spend time either before or after or both touring the Badlands. Any info I might be able to share please send me a PM with ?'s. Have an awesome and Merry Christmas. :yes:

Jim&Teresa
12-15-2015, 01:23 PM
The Black Hills is one of my favorite rides from here. We have relatives in Rapid City so it makes the trip that much more enjoyable. I had lived out there for 4 years during college and also was a jeep driver for tours at Custer State Park!

The Badlands are worth going through as well. If you don't like crowds, stay away from the Sturgis Black Hills Rally in August. Sturgis is neat to see and there's other natural scenery around there such as Bear Butte near Sturgis, Spearfish Canyon, etc. A "must do" is Iron Mountain Road - hwy 16A (take both directions - if you only have time for one direction go from south to north towards Mount Rushmore). http://www.visitrapidcity.com/things-to-do/black-hills-cruising/iron-mountain-road-pigtail-bridges#.VnBYZWbSmM8 . When you are by Mount Rushmore, be sure to visit the Needles hwy - you can stop and feed chipmunks along the way also at some pull offs.

If you need any help or directions - give me an PM and I'll respond - we ride there once or twice a year.

Here's a few pics - enjoy your upcoming trip. :2thumbs:

soaring hawk
12-20-2015, 08:04 AM
:thumbup:

Here is is a snapshot!http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=121443&stc=1

We head out there in mid July.

BikerDoc
12-20-2015, 09:26 AM
Do a search for Deadwood 3 Wheel Rally, held July 12th thru 17th The pictures from Spyder folks at last years event looked great. I am definitely going there for this one in 2016..

Utah Geezer
12-20-2015, 10:30 PM
I've been to that area three different times and loved it each time. Lots of good information here for you to digest. You could spend a summer in that area and not see it all. Loved South Dakota, Wyoming, Yellowstone, Glacier National Park and Waterton (Canadian side of Glacier National), even northern Idaho is amazing. Going up to Sturgis this year for the first time during the main event. Always went a week earlier in the past. So much good riding in that area. Ride in and see Crazy Horse. The museum is worth the cost. Devil's Tower is pretty spectacular. Enjoy your time there and give yourself as much time as possible. You won't regret it.

StanProff
12-22-2015, 08:49 AM
:D I was going to mention keeping the Sturgis dates in mind, when planning... :D
I've always wanted to take a run out there for a look-see... :thumbup:
When retirement finally gets here; my bucket list will definitely have to get some serious attention!

Sturgis, not me. I avoid the crowds when I can but I can't wait to go back to that area. My wife wants to go back in 2016.
September was great weather when my wife and I went from upper east Tennessee to Mt. Rushmore, Spent a week out there staying in Rapid City. Wonderful roads and sights to see. The weather was great with temps starting in the low 50's in the mornings and mid to upper 70's during the day. We ended up making a loop down through Wyoming, Colorado, back through Dodge City Kansas and Oklahoma.
Bob, you gotta make this trip a priority in your bucket list.
reknhevn, I have no idea of the weather coming from your direction to Mt Rushmore but I do know you'll enjoy it when you get there.

This time we may try to go in the spring. I have a grandson in Washington St. Parents are in the Navy, gotta try and get there to see them.

Big F
12-22-2015, 09:42 AM

We have been to the area the past two summers the week BEFORE the annual Sturgis rally and had a great time. All of the vendors are set up in Sturgis without the hundreds of thousands 2-wheel crazies!! there are some great rides in the entire area around Rushmore, etc. like Iron Mountain Road and the Needles Highway just to mention a few.
This year we are going on Jul 12-17 and take in the 3 wheel rally in Deadwood. Last year was their first year for this event and they had over 100 Spyder owners registered. We have 4 Spyder owners from the Omaha area going this year. I would advise get a hotel reservation now cuz the entire region is very busy all summer long.
BIG F