PDA

View Full Version : well i got my CPAP machine

cuznjohn
12-14-2015, 07:12 PM
so tonight will be the first try with it, i hope it helps me sleep. the name of the machine is RESMED and it is fully automatic. with my test results the doctor told them what air pressure to set it at, and they gave me a mask that covers my nose and mouth., the air pressure that it is set at is one that during the day i can blow leafs with it. the setting is 5 - 15

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpl1/v/t1.0-9/12341329_10207812850456535_4400248851400760078_n.j pg?oh=dbbee52fc2d91a5b95e889de10a994df&oe=571FC0F1

vided
12-14-2015, 07:19 PM
Good luck, I hope it helps.
sleep well:thumbup::thumbup:

2ndChildhood
12-14-2015, 07:28 PM
I've been using a CPAP almost 10 years. I now have a brand-new one exactly like yours and absolutely love it. I get a report every day on how I did. What's really nice about it is adjust itself if I start having problems it increases or decrease the pressure. Far superior than the old machine. Good luck with yours and just take your time to get used to it.

ToM
Life is Great
Be Safe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

cuznjohn
12-14-2015, 07:35 PM
my two dogs are not happy with me with the mask on, my one is growling at it

vided
12-14-2015, 07:43 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=121177&stc=1

PrairieSpyder
12-14-2015, 08:17 PM
Glad you're taking care of yourself, John.

Ron2andia
12-14-2015, 08:19 PM
May God look out for you. Hope all goes well!:pray:

Thump
12-14-2015, 08:27 PM
Good for you!
So one nice benefit is that when the sun is shining in your window at 0600 you can put a pillow over your face and still breathe just fine! :D
Best of luck

bmccaffrey
12-14-2015, 08:41 PM
Keep us posted John how it works.

I should probably get tested. My wife says i stop breathing sometimes while sleeping.

Told her i wouldn't if she would quit putting a pillow over my face :roflblack:

Magdave
12-14-2015, 08:46 PM
I have this one for the last 3 yrs

http://www.mycpap.com/cpap-machines/resmed-s9-series-cpap-machine-2.jpg

I have just the nose pillows

http://www.continuedcare.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/thumbnail.jpg

It really sucks the distilled water up in the winter it barely uses any in the summer humidity. I used to quit breathing a lot.

cuznjohn
12-14-2015, 10:04 PM
this is the mask i got

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/12391093_10207812930338532_5994099013096597010_n.j pg?oh=ebc915c22696805cc59f7b5896613b85&oe=571EE399

jaherbst
12-14-2015, 10:58 PM
I have this one for the last 3 yrs

http://www.mycpap.com/cpap-machines/resmed-s9-series-cpap-machine-2.jpg

I have just the nose pillows

http://www.continuedcare.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/thumbnail.jpg

It really sucks the distilled water up in the winter it barely uses any in the summer humidity. I used to quit breathing a lot.

That's what I have. I like them better than the mask.

Jack

TommyBwell
12-14-2015, 11:38 PM
You may have trouble sealing that mask with your facial hair. I use the nasal pillow like the other boys and it works great.

It it will take a little while to get used to but then you will get to the point that you don't even think about it.

fratzba
12-15-2015, 12:28 AM
Welcome to nights of better sleep, and waking up rested!

It's been amazing difference for me. I use the nose pillows like the pictures above as well, which work well for me.

-Fratz

cptjam
12-15-2015, 02:24 AM
Funny, I dozed off today on the sofa, and woke up several times, gasping for air. The CPAP allows such good sleep, it is a waste of time to not use it. Takes a while to get used to it, but well worth it! Good luck, and sweet dreams!

cuznjohn
12-15-2015, 02:53 AM
almost 3 can't sleep with the machine on, feel like i am claustrophobic

pegasus1300
12-15-2015, 03:44 AM
I have the same machine as Magdave but I use a nose mask. I see you are having trouble sleeping and feeling claustrophobic. You may need to go to some other kind of mask such as nasal pillows. One of the things that helped me is thinking about the helmet and masks I wear riding. or the safety gear I wore when working in the steel mill. Don't give up or get discouraged. This has the potential to give you your life back and to allow you to have a much higher quality of life. I have been on my machine now for 15 years and wouldn't dream of sleeping without it. You can get over this.

spookyluke
12-15-2015, 04:35 AM
When ya tired enough, you'll sleep :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cuznjohn
12-15-2015, 05:47 AM
worst nights sleep i have had in years. i managed to sleep for 1 and a half hrs. and as of right now i hate it.

daveinva
12-15-2015, 07:36 AM
Ugh, I still remember those first days and weeks with CPAP, how I hated it. Unfortunately, I never quite reached that place people rave about-- "Best night's sleep in years!" It just kept me going long enough to lose weight and resolve my apnea.

cuznjohn, a few tips:

-- I had a full mask like that, it rubbed the bridge of my nose raw. Solved the trick with cutting a small strip of moleskin and putting that on the bridge of my nose every night. http://www.walgreens.com/q/moleskin#!

-- Humidity helps a lot, so if your machine has a water tank, keep it full and clean. (If it *doesn't* have a water tank, consider getting a model that does).

-- This little pole kept the hose off my head, making it easier to sleep on my side. http://www.cpap.com/productpage/flexible-technologies-cpap-hose-lift.html

-- I never could do the nasal pillows, never found any that were comfortable. As bad as the full face mask was, I got used to it in time, never could say the same for the pillows.

That said, this new mask has gotten a lot of press recently, it sounds like it's quite revolutionary-- might be worth looking into.

Stick with it, and good luck!

https://www.sleepapnea.com/products/masks/dreamwear/overview.html

Bob Denman
12-15-2015, 07:54 AM
:shocked: Please don't start hating I just yet...
Give yourself some time to get used to it. :thumbup:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=121188&stc=1

mowin
12-15-2015, 08:45 AM
John, when I first got mine, that mask took many flights acrossed the room. It took me weeks. I was so discouraged. I tried the nasal pillows, but my pressure was so high, it wouldn't seal. The hardest part, was trying to keep my mouth shut. I'd just get to sleep, and the noise it would make when I opened my mouth would scare the crap out of me and of course wake me up.. I ended up trying it for a hr or two each night. As soon as I'd wake up, I'd remove it, and continue the night without it. Eventually, I could make it half way through the night, and fall back asleep with the mask on.

Don't give up.

bmccaffrey
12-15-2015, 09:44 AM
FORGE ON JOHN :thumbup:

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-15-2015, 10:35 AM
almost 3 can't sleep with the machine on, feel like i am claustrophobic
Be comforted by knowing you are not alone or unusual. If you haven't yet, I strongly urge you to go to www.cpaptalk.com (http://www.cpaptalk.com) and join the forum there. Others who have contended with those exact issues will offer suggestions and encouragement on how to make the adjustment. Also, you will learn how to download and view all the data from your machine and see just what's happening. One of the big shocks for new users is learning how little support often comes from the Doctor or DME who got you into this therapy. You will learn what to do to take control for yourself of your therapy. The success rate for those who are proactive in managing their treatment for themselves is quite high.

oldguyinTX
12-15-2015, 11:10 AM
John, I agree with Magdave. I have had my CPAP for about a year, and I use the nose pillows also. I tried the full mask and found it to be too claustrophobic, as well as not sealing well due to my beard. I wouldn't have shaved it anyway. It took me a while to get used to using it, and the only drawback that I have found is that even though I am breathing humidified air, I wake up occasionally during the night as well as every morning with dry mouth. I keep an insulated tumbler of ice water on my nightstand, and that has helped a lot. Hang in there pal, it may take a while. You know us older guys hate change worse than cats do.

cuznjohn
12-15-2015, 11:11 AM
right now i am exhausted. when i finely fell a sleep around 4 am, my mouth must of opened to breath. the humidifier on the machine is working, but the amount of dryness i had in my nose and mouth was unreal. SHOULD YOU FEEL THE AIR FLOW IN THE MASK??? the only time i feel any air flow is when i pull the mask away from my face a little.

i tried to stop breathing when i was awake just to see how the machine reacts. i didn't feel any air pushing on my face to force me to breath, is this normal???

Blickdave
12-15-2015, 11:48 AM
John, a couple of points from a user of 10 years. First, you likely were prescribed the full face mask because (like me) your jaw relaxes when asleep and your mouth opens. A "nose pillow" is not gonna work for you as all of the air will escape out your mouth. If your full face mask is adjusted tight enough so no leaks, you will not even feel the air entering the mask but only hear your exhale. BE PATIENT, try to relax and not think about each breath! Close your eyes and play some slow relaxing music or calming sound (ocean waves, rain, etc.) to take your mind off of it. It took me 4 or 5 nights to adjust. I can't sleep without it now, it's my trusted relief.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cuznjohn
12-15-2015, 11:52 AM
John, a couple of points from a user of 10 years. First, you likely were prescribed the full face mask because (like me) your jaw relaxes when asleep and your mouth opens. A "nose pillow" is not gonna work for you as all of the air will escape out your mouth. If your full face mask is adjusted tight enough so no leaks, you will not even feel the air entering the mask but only hear your exhale. BE PATIENT, try to relax and not think about each breath! Close your eyes and play some slow relaxing music or calming sound (ocean waves, rain, etc.) to take your mind off of it. It took me 4 or 5 nights to adjust. I can't sleep without it now, it's my trusted relief.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i am going to keep trying, but i find wearing the mask really annoying right now. we will see what happens

bruiser
12-15-2015, 12:04 PM
Got mine in August courtesy of the VA. I used the nasal pillows but found they irritated my nose. Went to a nose mask, it made a difference. I also had problems with keeping it on (nose pillows and mask). My wife said I would rip it off during the night. I just had a follow up appointment last week. I'm now up to 83% use. I wake up around 5 a.m. and take the mask off, then go back to sleep. My apnea wasn't really bad to start with. But since the VA spent the time and money, I'll use it. Mine has a 'ramp' button that reduces the airflow when I first turn it on. It allows me to relax better as I don't have the full force all at once. You can get a chin strap that will hold your mouth shut. That prevents the dry mouth.

cuznjohn
12-15-2015, 12:16 PM
i just ordered a larger mask on amazon, the one i have now fits over my nose and rests just below my lower lip and feels really uncomfortable. the report on the unit says i had 4.2 events per hour and i used the machine for 5 hrs. the mask i ordered now is a large full face one. i am using a medium now.

Haze
12-15-2015, 01:12 PM
Hang in there my friend. You are not alone. I've had my CPAP for 5 yrs. Now I can't sleep without it.
I have a Respironics machine w/humidifier. It goes everywhere with me. When camping I run the CPAP on a homemade battery pack that can charge, during the day, from the bike.
It takes time to adjust to using the CPAP. I started with a Nose mask and moved to a ResMed full face mask.
I never had a problem with the seal on my beard. I recently added a chin strap to help keep my mouth closed hence no dry mouth or throat.
Cheers,

AY4B
12-15-2015, 08:37 PM
John, if you are having trouble with dry mouth, you might need to get a chin strap to help keep your mouth closed. I use one along with the mask.

Bob Denman
12-16-2015, 08:38 AM
:shocked: Was last night any better? :shocked:

cuznjohn
12-16-2015, 09:26 AM
woke up at 2 am and took the mask off and tossed it across the room. went back to sleep and slept better with out it

mowin
12-16-2015, 10:53 AM
woke up at 2 am and took the mask off and tossed it across the room. went back to sleep and slept better with out it

Like I said, my masks took many a flight accost the room. Trust me, it will get easier. Hang in there my friend. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
12-16-2015, 10:59 AM
:agree: Hang in there!
Hopefully, the new mask will help to sort all of this out for you. :thumbup:

cuznjohn
12-16-2015, 11:00 AM
i am getting the new larger mask tomorrow so i am hoping it helps more, my mouth gets very dry and the machine has a auto humidifier built into it, i am going to try and take it off auto and add some more humidity tonight to see if that helps.

Bob Denman
12-16-2015, 11:14 AM
:shocked: Don't drown... :yikes:
Is waterboarding yourself: considered a violation of the Geneva Convention? :dontknow:

cuznjohn
12-16-2015, 11:36 AM
i have always had a hard time sleeping, so i went into this with a negative view to start with. i sleep in a recliner so i figured the face mask wouldn't bother me too much. well let me tell you i never figured the mask would bother me as much as it does. it has to be tight enough that no air escapes, but not tight enough to bother you that much.when i took the sleep apnea test, i took it at home because i refused to go and spend a night in a clinic with someone monitoring me. now that i have the machine, they wanted me to go to a clinic to see if the machine is set right and if it was helping me. well guess what, i refused that also. so i don't know if it is set right or that it is helping me.

so now it is hit and miss to get the settings right for me. i am the thick headed Italian that everyone has heard of but never met. so i have to do this my way or no way at all. now the new larger mask is coming tomorrow, i am hoping that helps with my mouth drying out and that it might be more comfortable for me. i know how i am and if i can't get this to help me i will stop using it. i once cut a cast off my left wrist because i wanted it off and the doctor told me it had to stay on. so i am a very bad patient for most doctors. oh well it's my problem, and either way i will overcome it

Bob Denman
12-16-2015, 11:57 AM
Perhaps some Duct Tape can be useful... :joke:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=121265&stc=1

Trickie Dick
12-16-2015, 08:36 PM
i have always had a hard time sleeping, so i went into this with a negative view to start with. i sleep in a recliner so i figured the face mask wouldn't bother me too much. well let me tell you i never figured the mask would bother me as much as it does. it has to be tight enough that no air escapes, but not tight enough to bother you that much.when i took the sleep apnea test, i took it at home because i refused to go and spend a night in a clinic with someone monitoring me. now that i have the machine, they wanted me to go to a clinic to see if the machine is set right and if it was helping meou . well guess what, i refused that also. so i don't know if it is set right or that it is helping me.

so now it is hit and miss to get the settings right for me. i am the thick headed Italian that everyone has heard of but never met. so i have to do this my way or no way at all. now the new larger mask is coming tomorrow, i am hoping that helps with my mouth drying out and that it might be more comfortable for me. i know how i am and if i can't get this to help me i will stop using it. i once cut a cast off my left wrist because i wanted it off and the doctor told me it had to stay on. so i am a very bad patient for most doctors. oh well it's my problem, and either way i will overcome it

The humidifier will help. You might try a Nasal Mask. I use the Respironics Nuance Pro Gel mask. I got it on Amazon. It goes in your nasal passages. It forces you to breath through your nose(or at least you should) If you do this and keep your mouth close then you won't have dry mouth. It's a little less restrictive also. It will take getting used to just like the others. I can't sleep now without mine but it took awhile. Good Luck

Magdave
12-16-2015, 10:40 PM
They make chin slings to keep your mouth shut if using the nasal pillows.:thumbup:

cptjam
12-17-2015, 01:47 AM
Once you figure it out, it will become a blessing. Be patient! Joe

cuznjohn
12-17-2015, 08:30 AM
i slept pretty good last night, only woke up 2 times. my question is how do you know it's working. if you wear the mask do you feel air pressure. when i put the mask on i don't feel like it is working. i breath normal and i don't feel any air pressure being pushed when i inhale. if i move the mask away from my face i feel air start to flow. i try on my own to stop breathing and don't feel the machine to start pressure to make me breath. how does it work to help you if you stop breathing.

Bob Denman
12-17-2015, 08:34 AM
John,
I don't use one of them, but if you're not turning blue and gasping for breath; it must be working. nojoke
Seriously; is there a way to increase the rate of flow? You might not need it, but I can certainly understand the "comfort factor" of feeling some airflow... :thumbup:

I'm real glad to hear that you're making some progress with it! Keep it up! :clap:

OldDog
12-17-2015, 10:21 AM
i slept pretty good last night, only woke up 2 times. my question is how do you know it's working. if you wear the mask do you feel air pressure. when i put the mask on i don't feel like it is working. i breath normal and i don't feel any air pressure being pushed when i inhale. if i move the mask away from my face i feel air start to flow. i try on my own to stop breathing and don't feel the machine to start pressure to make me breath. how does it work to help you if you stop breathing.

If you hold your hand over the mask valve, you can feel some air escaping. This is normal and tells you you are getting pressure. I have the exact setup you have. I use a nasal mask. I get a sleep report every morning. So far doing great. This machine is much better than my old one. My "brain fog" is going away (sleep deprivation). I feel much better. Hang in there. It gets better.

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-17-2015, 11:27 PM
CPAP machine pressure is measured in cm of water column. For example, 10 cm ~= 4 inches. There is roughly 24" water column per 1 psi pressure, so 10 cm air pressure is about 0.15 psi, not very much! That's why it doesn't feel like there is much there, because there isn't! But it's enough to force your airway to stay open so air moves in and out of your lungs with ease.

The best way to tell if it's working is to look at your data. There are two programs you can use to graph the data from the machine, Resscan from Resmed, or Sleepyhead by one of the guys on cpaptalk.com. At a minimum look at the data on the machine screen each morning. If your AHI is less than 5, (actually any number well below your sleep test number) and your air leak less than 24, then the therapy is working. With the Resmed machines any leak above 24 brings the accuracy of the readings into doubt. My AHI during the sleep study was around 35. It runs below 1 most of the time with the CPAP, with my leak rates usually under 10.

Interestingly, one of the most common results of using CPAP is the reduced need to get up and go to the bathroom in the night. Something about low oxygen and high CO2 triggers a bladder response. With proper O2 levels that doesn't happen. I used to get up twice a night most every night. Now I seldom get up in the night, and usually that's from drinking coffee before bedtime!

cuznjohn
12-18-2015, 06:45 AM
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/v/t1.0-9/1928779_10207834789324993_2641062030699540742_n.jp g?oh=5281402faa70a810efdd0d5d1098423e&oe=56D9479E

Bob Denman
12-18-2015, 07:51 AM
:roflblack: :clap: :2thumbs: