PDA

View Full Version : New rear tire

spydernatic
12-14-2015, 11:46 AM
I have just purchased a new Kumho for my 2012 RT and have just called my dealership for a price to put on the Kumho and have been quoted $174.00 anyone out there that has done this and what did you pay to put on a rear tire ...your input would be greatly appreciated.

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-14-2015, 11:55 AM
It varies and some dealers won't even put on a tire that isn't a KENDA....You can call around and see if another dealer will do it for less....or remove it yourself, take off the sprocket and the hub and then any place that does car/truck tires can do it .......PS, there are video's here that will show you how to do it........Mike :thumbup:

BikerDoc
12-14-2015, 12:22 PM
The price should be about half that

Cruzr Joe
12-14-2015, 12:26 PM
I have just purchased a new Kumho for my 2012 RT and have just called my dealership for a price to put on the Kumho and have been quoted $174.00 anyone out there that has done this and what did you pay to put on a rear tire ...your input would be greatly appreciated.

If that price includes mounting, balancing, new stem, removal and installation, it seems a little high (even for a dealer) but if the dealer breaks anything along the way you are covered.

Cruzr Joe

trikermutha
12-14-2015, 01:46 PM
Depends on dealer labor costs. Some are higher than others. I took off mine and the dealer charged 40 bucks to remove install and balance my rear.

Grayfox
12-14-2015, 03:44 PM
Honda of Winston Salem charge me $92.00 to take it off the Spyder and replace with my Kumho. Took 25 minutes start to finish.

PaladinLV
12-14-2015, 03:48 PM
Going rate here in LV is 1 hour shop time. That equals $115.00
The dealership in neighboring Henderson charges TWO hour shop time.
Go figure!:dontknow:

AJ

007james
12-14-2015, 04:14 PM
My Dealer has charged me $130.00 to remove old tire, mount & balace new tire, and adjust belt tension. Had this done twice, so far, with 3rd coming in spring. I was just quoted $120 by another local Dealer. My Dealer charged me $40.00 each, to change out my two front tres, but I bought those tires from him, but will have my own Bridgestone tires next tme, so might have to pay more. My ride s a 2012 RT Limited. I have been quoted $179.00 to have a Laser Alighnment, but have not yet decided if I will have it done. The glitch is, in order to do it correct, all three tires should be new and changed out at the same time, and mine are at different times of needing to be changed. Hope this helps. 007james

Going rate here in LV is 1 hour shop time. That equals $115.00
The dealership in neighboring Henderson charges TWO hour shop time.
Go figure!:dontknow:

AJ

GeorgiaBill
12-14-2015, 04:27 PM
at Mountain Motorsports in Marietta

Highwayman2013
12-14-2015, 04:36 PM
My Dealer has charged me $130.00 to remove old tire, mount & balace new tire, and adjust belt tension. Had this done twice, so far, with 3rd coming in spring. I was just quoted $120 by another local Dealer. My Dealer charged me $40.00 each, to change out my two front tres, but I bought those tires from him, but will have my own Bridgestone tires next tme, so might have to pay more. My ride s a 2012 RT Limited. I have been quoted $179.00 to have a Laser Alighnment, but have not yet decided if I will have it done. The glitch is, in order to do it correct, all three tires should be new and changed out at the same time, and mine are at different times of needing to be changed. Hope this helps. 007james

You do not need all new tires to do a laser alignment. The only way to change alignment when changing tires is on the rear if the adjusters are turned, and there are ways to avoid that.

Big Arm
12-14-2015, 05:10 PM
The glitch is, in order to do it correct, all three tires should be new and changed out at the same time, and mine are at different times of needing to be changed. Hope this helps. 007james

Where did you get this information ??? :lecturef_smilie:

007james
12-14-2015, 05:41 PM
I asked the question to Jeff, of who was the referral at Star City Power Sports in Roanoke, VA. Jeff replied,...."Yes, we should only do the Alignment with the new tires on it. " so, considering he would do the Alignment, and I was quoted price to do , bringing in my own tires, he would have no motive to try and sell me more tires. Also, researching posts on this site, I seem to remember the BRP Procedure using the Frame as measurements but with the Laser, the tires are used as the points of measurement. So, that makes logical sense to me, that sending $179 to do a Laser Alignment on old worn out tires would be wasted hard earned $$. So I take the Dealer response as honest. 007james

Where did you get this information ??? :lecturef_smilie:

Bob Denman
12-14-2015, 05:43 PM
Fifty bucks at:
Klinger PowerSports in Walton, NY
and
Netzley Tire in Accord, NY
:2thumbs:

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-14-2015, 05:49 PM
My Dealer has charged me $130.00 to remove old tire, mount & balace new tire, and adjust belt tension. Had this done twice, so far, with 3rd coming in spring. I was just quoted $120 by another local Dealer. My Dealer charged me $40.00 each, to change out my two front tres, but I bought those tires from him, but will have my own Bridgestone tires next tme, so might have to pay more. My ride s a 2012 RT Limited. I have been quoted $179.00 to have a Laser Alighnment, but have not yet decided if I will have it done. The glitch is, in order to do it correct, all three tires should be new and changed out at the same time, and mine are at different times of needing to be changed. Hope this helps. 007james :yikes::yikes::yikes:....Jim, if you are capable of getting the front wheels off .....any car shop can mount and balance any tire you bring you bring them for a LOT LESS MONEY......The rear is a different story.......hope this info saves you some money ....Mike :thumbup:

DriftersWay
12-14-2015, 07:25 PM
I asked the question to Jeff, of who was the referral at Star City Power Sports in Roanoke, VA. Jeff replied,...."Yes, we should only do the Alignment with the new tires on it. " so, considering he would do the Alignment, and I was quoted price to do , bringing in my own tires, he would have no motive to try and sell me more tires. Also, researching posts on this site, I seem to remember the BRP Procedure using the Frame as measurements but with the Laser, the tires are used as the points of measurement. So, that makes logical sense to me, that sending $179 to do a Laser Alignment on old worn out tires would be wasted hard earned $$. So I take the Dealer response as honest. 007james

Laser alignment is measured using the rims not the tires

MrBones
12-15-2015, 10:33 PM
Took off my front wheels and took them to a MC shop to have them mounted and balanced. They mounted them right but the balance was wrong so took them back and they said they did not have the correct adapter. So had to send them to someone else. So all dealers cannot mount and balance much less car tire shops. Unless they have the adapter!

Cruzr Joe
12-15-2015, 10:42 PM
Front tires can be mounted and balanced at most all tire shops, rear tire can be mounted by most tire shops, but maybe not balanced.

Cruzr Joe

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-15-2015, 10:58 PM
[QUOTE=MrBones;1071442]Took off my front wheels and took them to a MC shop to have them mounted and balanced. They mounted them right but the balance was wrong so took them back and they said they did not have the correct adapter. So had to send them to someone else. So all dealers cannot mount and balance much less car tire shops. Unless they have the adapter![/QUOT...I can't imagine why they had a problem. The front rims of the Spyder aren't any different than those on any HONDA except for the number of LUG Holes and that doesn't have any effect on the machine.......Maybe you should go to the place you take your car wheels to.....I'll bet they won't have a problem................Mike :thumbup:

Highwayman2013
12-16-2015, 01:08 AM
I took my fronts to two different Firestones for road force balancing, but the center hole in the rim was smaller than their smallest adapter.

pegasus1300
12-16-2015, 01:21 AM
I bought my rear tire from my local tire dealer and he mounted the tire when I brought him the wheel. He was not able to balance it the regular way so he did it using dyna beads. They are working well 5000+ miles later. No competent tire shop should have any trouble mounting any Spyder rim. You will want to remove the rear tire yourself as the tire shop will have no clue what to do with it. There are videos here that show how to do that.

SpyderFrog
12-16-2015, 02:08 AM
at Mountain Motorsports in Marietta
Hi GeorgiaBill
i m in marietta too .red spyder

opiewhan
12-16-2015, 06:56 AM

That price sounds about right..I paid $85 for Kumho and Can Am mechanics(the shop) charges $110 an hour, you do the math..Good choice for tire:clap:

rtga
12-16-2015, 07:39 AM
[QUOTE=GeorgiaBill;1070951]at Mountain Motorsports in Marietta - try MMS in Kennesaw, they seem to charge different prices for the same service on a spyder. for example (I didn't have them do the work), but to replace the anti-sway bar, Marietta wanted $220 and Kennesaw wanted 1hr shop time.

spydernatic
12-16-2015, 04:08 PM
Well thank you for all the replies ..so I decided to phone around and got 6 different prices hard to believe that 6 dealerships would all have different prices.
I will start with the highest price I got which was crazy and even though I repeatedly told him that I was supplying the tire he stuck to his price.
1. $260.00
2. 195.00
3. 174.00
4. 140.00
5. 130.00
6. 127.00

Now the last 2 which are the lowest prices when I phoned in I got the price immediately so I am sure this is a standard price they quote as for the rest all put me on hold and I am guessing went back to their Spyder technician and requested a price from him, and this is why there is such a difference in these prices ...now here is the KICKER all of these prices are from one Dealeship but their 6 different branches.

ulflyer
12-17-2015, 08:38 AM
Honda of Winston Salem charge me $92.00 to take it off the Spyder and replace with my Kumho. Took 25 minutes start to finish.

Yep, thats the going price at Winston Honda; one hour flat rate labor. I've had several done with them, as well as other
services.