PDA

View Full Version : helmet longevity

Derk
12-12-2015, 06:40 PM
Hi everyone, I looked in the search menu, but didn't see this question, I hope I didn't miss it, but here goes. Most helmet manufacturers say to replace your helmet after 5 years. My question is, how many of us SpyderLovers do that? I have 4 helmets, 2 of which are now 5 years old, they have never been dropped or abused. They look brand new, is it best to not wear them anymore? What do you do with your old helmets? Thanks everyone for your input.

Bob Denman
12-12-2015, 06:51 PM
Since I'm a cheap bugger; I change mine out only when the interior padding starts to deteriorate, and the different parts of the helmet are starting to malfunction... :shocked:

:lecturef_smilie: But please DON'T do what I do; your safety is more important than your wallet! :2thumbs:

cuznjohn
12-12-2015, 07:14 PM
4 to 5 years tops

asp125
12-12-2015, 07:19 PM
Helmets deteriorate from use: wear and tear, sweat, bumps and drops. They also deteriorate from sitting around in the sun, exposure to ozone, or contact with solvents. They do not however, expire like spoiled milk after the manufacturer's recommended 5 year date. (ie on the first day of the 6th year they go bad)

I have about 6 helmets of varying age. A couple of them are >5yrs old. I am of the opinion that the newer helmets would be preferred if I were to take them on a track day or long tour. My older helmets are special editions that I keep around for their special graphics, used as bookends in the rec room, or to wear to a bike night now and then. The rest of the old helmets get donated to fire departments for EMT training if they want them.

Sam Mac
12-12-2015, 07:35 PM
How much is a head injury worth because you are ridding with an old helmet? Race sanctioning bodies require helmet replacement for a good reason. Your $$$ and your head, your choice. I've said all I have to say.

BajaRon
12-12-2015, 10:17 PM
Rule of thumb is 5 years of service. But with care a quality helmet (Arai, Shoei, etc.) will go much longer. A cheap helmet may not go beyond 3 or 4 years.

If you abuse your helmet it may not last more than a day! :rolleyes:

ARtraveler
12-12-2015, 10:17 PM
Four to five years seems to be the stated norm.

I have six assorted--two are now going on five years and two are older, while a couple are at the three year mark.

I wear the newer ones. Hard to toss out a $400 item or to pass them on when they look like new. I know, its all about the safety.

I am going to break down and get us each a new one for 2016 riding season. Waiting on what color F3 I get so I can be color coordinated.

Dan McNally
12-12-2015, 10:19 PM
How much is a head injury worth because you are ridding with an old helmet? Race sanctioning bodies require helmet replacement for a good reason. Your $$$ and your head, your choice. I've said all I have to say.
Well said. A five-year old helmet does not provide the same level of protection that it did when new - how much deterioration has occurred can't be determined without testing it, which, of course, destroys it - but why take the chance.

I get a new one every four years - and, usually, in four years, something with better features has been developed.

cptjam
12-13-2015, 01:26 AM
Go pick up a styrofoam coffee cup from a vacant lot or landfill. Crush it, watch it crumble to dust. 4 years, pitch it. Might look okay, but, it isn't! Your head is worth protecting! A new 200 dollar helmet is better than a 500 dollar 5 year old helmet! Be real! Fancy graphics do not save lives! Pitch it, or donate it to firefighters to practice on. Joe
Cheap is stupid. You ride a very expensive motorcycle. Don't cheap out on gear!!!!

TommyBwell
12-13-2015, 02:04 AM
My Arai is five years old and looks perfect but I'm about to swap it out. It is tough when they look so good and cost so much but I have had helmets save my life twice and if need be I want to be sure it I s three times.

spookyluke
12-13-2015, 05:09 AM
I only recently bought my first arai. Cost me almost a grand. I've only ever had the cheapest lids I could find in the past. It's awesome and I love it. Man if I have to replace it after 5 years I'm spewing!!! I'll go back to cheapies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trekster
12-13-2015, 08:31 AM
Just this past week I replaced my FF Scorpion with a new Nolan N104. The Scorpion was probably 5 yrs old and of course was not that expensive a helmet to begin with. The Nolan cost more but comes with lots more features and should be a lot more quiet than the old helmet.

What did I do with the old Scorpion? The garbage man took it away a few days ago, so I guess it lives in the landfill now. ;)

Ron2andia
12-13-2015, 10:01 AM
Fest off never heard tha about the 5 years... Have a Shoei helmet for the last 14 years... Yes the same one. Shoei will check your helmet for free if you send it in to them to see if it is still effective. Sending mine in a few days.:doorag:

BikerDoc
12-13-2015, 10:05 AM
Rules of thumb were generated by for people who ride average miles (or not much). I ride every single day in all sorts of weather - now averaging 36000 mile per year, so I replace my helmets annually..... Several years ago I was in an accident where the helmet saved my life so I would rather continue to be safe than sorry

DrewNJ
12-13-2015, 10:06 AM
5 years is a good general rule of thumb. If it gets minimal use and and not sweated up. Living in a garage it will obviously last longer. If it's been crashed its done.
I usually swap helmets every few years simply because I like some of the new features of some of the more modern helmets.

cognaccruiser
12-13-2015, 11:27 AM
5 years is the rule of thumb. How the helmet is cared for may make a difference. Exposure to sun light etc reduces their life.

As Joe said, the Styrofoam breaks down even just sitting in a cupboard. An old helmet's Styrofoam is hard and brittle if you stick a fingernail in it. A new one is still somewhat soft and compresses. The owner of the 14 year old Shoei should just get a new one and not bother with sending it for testing. It's toast!

I also donate our old ones to local fire departments for use in training. Better than a flower pot, target or landfill item.

Gary

garb55
12-13-2015, 11:45 AM
How do you know your helmet was not sitting in a warehouse for years before you bought it

how many people actually look for a manufacture date

Highwayman2013
12-13-2015, 12:00 PM
My new HJC was made in June 2015, It will be changed out before 5 years, my old Scorpion was made in March 2013.

Brian Kay
12-13-2015, 12:17 PM
I don't know who to believe...the test results performed and sanctioned by the manufacturer who sells helmets for profit telling you to replace it every 5 years. Or someone that was in a bad accident that had a 10 year old helmet that still saved their life. If it comes down to the choice, I say if you store the helmet in an air-conditioned house/room with average humidity, the helmet should last a long time. If you store it in the garage, I would think you would want to replace it sooner.

Now, personally I can't sit around for 5+ years wearing the same old helmet...I get the fever to buy another one. So I look at it this way...as soon as you approach the 5-yr mark start looking for a new one if you haven't bought one already. I have 3 helmets that I use but prefer one over the others due to the style, graphics, and blue-tooth communications setup. Two Shoei's and one Icon Airmada...all XXL.

I do agree that the insides start to breakdown, but at what rate and how does that affect the impact absorption? Usually if you're in a high speed accident your chances of surviving a direct head impact is slim regardless if it's brand new or 5 years old. Just my opinions...

DrewNJ
12-13-2015, 01:25 PM
Every abandoned street coffee cup I've ever run into has been soft and squishy as it breaks down. Not brittle. At any rate, outliving the styraphome in my helmet is not something I'd personally worry about. Comparing an old abandoned coffee cup to a modern day motorcycle helmet is just silly anyway.

The facts remain that the primary things that degrade styraphome rapidly are chemicals and UV exposure. Neither are a concern on a new unused helmet sitting in the box on the shelf, or one in the garage.
Also, don't overlook the condition of the outer shell. Life expectancy recommendations are just a rule of thumb. Do what works best for YOU.

To the OP. Keep your helmet clean and in good condition and replace it every handful of years as money permits or if it suffers damage. They aren't THAT expensive so no need to over think it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Bfromla
12-13-2015, 02:48 PM
Since I'm a cheap bugger; I change mine out only when the interior padding starts to deteriorate, and the different parts of the helmet are starting to malfunction... :shocked:

:lecturef_smilie: But please DON'T do what I do; your safety is more important than your wallet! :2thumbs:
:2thumbs::agree:SAFTEY is a CHOICE, not a Chance!:banghead:

http://forums.mtbr.com/apparel-protection/helmet-lifespan-time-dispell-myth-792859.html

Mazo EMS2
12-13-2015, 03:44 PM
My current helmet is about 2yrs old. If it's still in the same condition in another 3 yrs, I'll use it without any hesitation. I would like to see some test video to compare a new helmet VS a 5 yr old helmet, just to see what actually supposedly fails with the two going thru the same tests. I'm skeptical of the 5 yr rule, but that's just me. I think it's a marketing ploy, like many other things. I take care of my stuff as many of you do. I would buy new inner components if they got "bad", but I wouldn't necessarily replace the whole helmet based solely on age. Just my .02

BajaRon
12-13-2015, 04:26 PM
I only recently bought my first arai. Cost me almost a grand. I've only ever had the cheapest lids I could find in the past. It's awesome and I love it. Man if I have to replace it after 5 years I'm spewing!!! I'll go back to cheapies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess it's a bit late now. But if you're getting an Arai helmet contact me first. The most expensive Arai helmet model (not counting the carbon fiber) is less than $800.00. And there are many models for much less than this. This includes shipping (and no tax).

The helmets I sell have not been fondled by who knows how many customers in a motorcycle dealership or gear store. Mine ship straight from the wholesale distributor fresh from Japan.

robtdonna
12-13-2015, 04:35 PM
What a super idea, never thought to donate to EMTs for training but will contact them and see if they want a couple !

The rest of the old helmets get donated to fire departments for EMT training if they want them.[/QUOTE]:yes:

Derk
12-13-2015, 08:36 PM
I want to thank everyone for their input on the helmets. For me, I'm going to stop wearing my 2 five year old helmets.

pitzerwm
12-13-2015, 11:48 PM
Anyone know where the manufacture date is on a HTC Max2?

asp125
12-14-2015, 12:06 AM
Anyone know where the manufacture date is on a HTC Max2?

Most labels are under liner, stuck onto the styrofoam. Some might be a sticker on the shell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

BajaRon
12-14-2015, 08:35 AM
Go pick up a styrofoam coffee cup from a vacant lot or landfill. Crush it, watch it crumble to dust. 4 years, pitch it. Might look okay, but, it isn't! Your head is worth protecting! A new 200 dollar helmet is better than a 500 dollar 5 year old helmet! Be real! Fancy graphics do not save lives! Pitch it, or donate it to firefighters to practice on. Joe
Cheap is stupid. You ride a very expensive motorcycle. Don't cheap out on gear!!!!

Totally apples and oranges. Your coffee cup is a biodegradable product meant to self destruct in a short period of time. No helmet maker can legally use this type of Styrofoam in a helmet. Look at dock flotation Styrofoam blocks. They last decades in very hostile environments.

The 5 year rule on a well made helmet is extremely conservative and assumes the helmet has been used extensively. If you have a well made helmet and you've taken reasonable care of it. It will give you 'like new' protection well beyond the 5 year mark. The interior padding (which does deteriorate) is an extremely small component in the overall protection the helmet affords. The interior padding is most important for keeping your helmet positioned correctly on your head. You can replace the interior padding on good helmets.

On the other hand, I sell Arai, Nolan and Speed and Strength helmet brands. So the sooner you toss your helmet the better it is for sales!:rolleyes:

MRH
12-14-2015, 11:13 AM
Since I'm a cheap bugger; I change mine out only when the interior padding starts to deteriorate, and the different parts of the helmet are starting to malfunction...

Bob, aren't you in the insurance business? Clearly, this would fall into the category of making an investment to mitigate future pain, suffering and loss?

Sam Mac
12-14-2015, 03:54 PM
Try this link for helmets. http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/ They have some pretty good deals. I bought my Bell helmet from them.

flaggerphil
12-14-2015, 05:02 PM
Fest off never heard tha about the 5 years... Have a Shoei helmet for the last 14 years... Yes the same one. Shoei will check your helmet for free if you send it in to them to see if it is still effective. Sending mine in a few days.:doorag:

Shoei also says the shelf life of a helmet is 7 years...

flaggerphil
12-14-2015, 05:05 PM
And I change my helmet roughly every three to four years.

CanAmChris
12-14-2015, 07:26 PM
My beloved Shoei RF 1100 Firestrike will be 5 years old in January. Ten's of thousands of miles and thousands of hours in the elements. I am sad to see it go but I got a great deal on a new Bell:

https://www.bellhelmets.com/powersports/helmets/street/revolver-evo?gclid=CIHgv4nE3MkCFcEWHwodPzkPGw

The colors match the F3-S perfectly. It might seem like a downgrade from the Shoei but I will buy a new helmet in two years instead of five now.

The thing is...there is only one organ in the human body that can result in the most catastrophic injuries when damaged. I have gone on many rides to honor returning veterans who have been paralyzed or lost limbs. Some never fully recover from those obvious physical injuries and have a hard time coping. The ones who eventually bounce back are the ones who realize that their body may be WHAT they are, but their brain is WHO they are. A person in a wheelchair can change the world, if they are still able to set their mind to it.

The brain runs the show and I like mine the way it is.

pitzerwm
12-15-2015, 12:42 AM
Just remembered they are still putting a sticker on your windshield at Jiffy, come back in 3000 miles.

Brian Kay
12-26-2015, 02:51 PM
I guess it's a bit late now. But if you're getting an Arai helmet contact me first. The most expensive Arai helmet model (not counting the carbon fiber) is less than $800.00. And there are many models for much less than this. This includes shipping (and no tax).

The helmets I sell have not been fondled by who knows how many customers in a motorcycle dealership or gear store. Mine ship straight from the wholesale distributor fresh from Japan.

BajaRon,
It's me again, lol. I can't wait for the sway bar!

Do you have the ability to sell a Arai SignetQ XXXL, white? I have a gi-normous melon...or just a odd shaped head. I see most stores only have XXL, but if you get them fresh from Japan I thought maybe you can get a XXL???

Let me know, thanks!