PDA

View Full Version : FOBO installed and it works!

Lamonster
12-12-2015, 01:45 PM
I installed my first set of FOBO's on my F3 today and it wasn't too bad to setup. After downloading the app you create an account using just your email address. Once you do that you just add your bike and go through the step by step. One thing I found interesting is the app couldn't find the sensors unless I touched the sensor to the phone as they say to do. I was sure it wouldn't need to do that but after several attempts I decided to follow the directions and sure enough it worked.

After the install was complete I immediately got a warning that my rear tire was low from the 28 psi I set it at. So then I pulled the cap and put air in it and then put the cap on. I had the right pressure but I had removed the locking nut to be able to put air in so I had to remove the FOBO again and install the locking nut. I thought I would lose some air by doing that but as you can see my the last picture and time stamp I didn't lose any air at all.

I plan on adding these to my RT, my RT trailer and Joans F3 so I can check air in all of them on the same app. You just go through the setup again and name and take a picture of each bike or trailer you have monitors on. I got to say for me this is really handy because I don't check the air in my tires as much as I should. This for sure is a Lamonster Garage approved product. :doorag:

You still have time to get these before Christmas!
http://www.lamonstergarage.com/fobo-electronic-tire-pressu…/ (http://www.lamonstergarage.com/fobo-electronic-tire-pressure-monitoring-system-for-the-can-am-spyder-set-of-3/) ‪ (https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/fobo?source=feed_text&story_id=998895850153686)

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/12316433_998890663487538_6011113864259240558_n.jpg ?oh=4b31fa0732c7ff7fba3125a6060604c6&oe=572186D3

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/12321285_998890793487525_916465456800369317_n.jpg? oh=0119bb80f7bf65f8b1ce31a4024f1272&oe=571354D7

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12345533_998890746820863_450000519505989082_n.jpg? oh=5c8845f81a73372d163a8c02c417b5b3&oe=56D66586

funon3
12-12-2015, 02:04 PM
I have downloaded the app but not purchased the FOBO yet since my :spyder2: has been put away for the winter. Maybe should not have put it away as the temp. is supposed to be 68 today. If Lamontster says it is good I will be ordering a set from him in the spring!!

Mazo EMS2
12-12-2015, 02:04 PM
Very cool. This is going on my Xmas list.

GatorMan
12-12-2015, 03:28 PM
There had been some conversation earlier this year in another thread about rubber valve stems and centrifugal force and the sensors adding too much weight and valve stem damage and yada yada yada.....

Any thoughts, and were those concerns valid? When air needs to be added, is the removal/reinstall of the sensors difficult or a pain in the rear?

Thanks!:thumbup:

Lamonster
12-12-2015, 04:29 PM
There had been some conversation earlier this year in another thread about rubber valve stems and centrifugal force and the sensors adding too much weight and valve stem damage and yada yada yada.....

Any thoughts, and were those concerns valid? When air needs to be added, is the removal/reinstall of the sensors difficult or a pain in the rear?

These are much lighter than some on the market and my supplier assures me that this is not an issue because of the weight.
As far as putting air in you just need to remove the locking nut, no big deal and I had to add air on the rear.

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-12-2015, 05:17 PM
Lamont it's a convenience on the Spyder ...imho it's a necessity on the trailer. If you get a flat you won't know until it's way to late to salvage the tire.....with the FOBO you might catch it .....Mike

Lamonster
12-12-2015, 06:05 PM
Lamont it's a convenience on the Spyder ...imho it's a necessity on the trailer. If you get a flat you won't know until it's way to late to salvage the tire.....with the FOBO you might catch it .....Mike

I plan on putting them on my trailer that a haul on too. After the last blowout I could use more than someone pointing to me on the freeway. nojoke

2dogs
12-12-2015, 06:27 PM
have to remove the FOBO each time you add or remove air? :dontknow:

Lamonster
12-12-2015, 06:32 PM

Yes. There is a steel T-valve available but you have to break the tire down to install them.

trikermutha
12-12-2015, 09:37 PM
How will you see this in time while driving if the tire is going flat? As most do not look at there cell phones while driving.

I can see maybe at a gas stop or something then looking at the phone app..:thumbup:

Pampurrs
12-12-2015, 09:52 PM
How will you see this in time while driving if the tire is going flat? As most do not look at there cell phones while driving.

I can see maybe at a gas stop or something then looking at the phone app..:thumbup:

The FOBO system has relieved me of the burden of getting on my hands and knees every morning to check the tire pressure while doing my pre-ride inspection. That benefit alone makes it worth the money. I don't expect any TPMS to alert me if an unexpected event has created rapid deflation of one of my tires. Only my own riding experience and feel of the road can help me there. JMHO

Pam

P.S. The FOBO system does send out an audible alert if the pressure goes below the preset level. For those who have their phones plugged into their audio system, this would be very apparent.

pitzerwm
12-13-2015, 02:40 AM
What took you so long Lamont, you are about 6 months behind the curve. :joke: I guess you wanted us to do the testing for you>

Lamonster
12-13-2015, 11:34 AM
What took you so long Lamont, you are about 6 months behind the curve. :joke: I guess you wanted us to do the testing for you>

Till my friend that distributes them contacted me it wasn't even on my radar. Been too busy making my own billet parts. :doorag:nojoke

glmiller1947
12-13-2015, 08:05 PM
I've had mine installed for about a year. They work great. I've had to replace 1 battery. It's convenient and accurate. I can hear the audible alert even without have the phone connected to the sound system. My phone is ram mounted where I can see and hear it. Great product.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

finless
12-14-2015, 09:16 AM
I did a bunch of videos on this when it first came out. I was the first to put them on a Spyder.

There were lots of worries from people about rubber valve stems and what not.

Also I worked directly with them to get the 4th sensor in the software for the air shock. They did not get it right at first but now it is perfect.
So if you also want to monitor your air shock, you can. One cool feature of that is you will now know if your air shock is leaking!

Here are some videos I shot all about it.

Review and install notes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-41jcKzNuY

Opinion after 6 months:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wpl2ok6AjNs

What you learn when you use it and ride!
Rear tire pressure changes a lot due to heat!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMO-ZNf05sk

When I was working with them on the 4th sensor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5AMvq2vSXE

Bob

Lamonster
12-14-2015, 10:04 AM
Just found out it works on my Apple watch too :doorag:

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/12366364_999445390098732_1425391480731143562_n.jpg ?oh=4f06b2152db5482889634b32441c7453&oe=57194842

finless
12-14-2015, 10:07 AM
That's cool! Almost makes me want to get a Apple watch!

Bob

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
12-14-2015, 10:16 AM

These type of tpms have been out for about 5 or 6 years now that i have seen for cars & trucks. i am sure the newer type like
the fobo are much smaller & lighter & should be no problem on bikes since they are specifically made to be used on our bikes.

finless
12-14-2015, 11:45 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?88725-FOBO-Bike-follow-up-Recharable-Batteries!

Bob

Rando
12-23-2015, 09:43 PM
I use an android phone. I don't understand why I have to turn on the phones location (GPS) for it to work, especially since it's a Bluetooth device.

pitzerwm
12-24-2015, 01:30 AM
You don't

I use an android phone. I don't understand why I have to turn on the phones location (GPS) for it to work, especially since it's a Bluetooth device.

Rando
12-24-2015, 10:04 AM
If I don't, it won't even connect.

robmorg
12-24-2015, 11:45 AM
i just went out to the garage to check, and on my Samsung S6 Android phone you do not have to turn on location for it to connect - only Bluetooth.

Lamont, when installing mine I had the same problem you did with the locking nut. My "fix" was to just not use them. It makes adding air MUCH easier when you need to do it. I consider the FOBO to be one of the most useful mods i have done on the Spyder, and I've done a lot of them. It's absolutely great not to have to get down on my arthritic knees to check the tire pressures anymore.

cnl414
12-24-2015, 12:11 PM
I ordered these from Lamonster and they were shipped to me very quickly. Hubby said to get them for my Christmas present. I am so happy with them as I didn't check the air often enough. When I installed them all three tires were low!!

Thanks to Lamonsters garage for getting them to me so quickly.:clap:

Very happy customer!
Charlotte:yes:

Merry Christmas to everyone:D

pitzerwm
12-24-2015, 12:28 PM
If I don't, it won't even connect.

It's your phone or the bluetooth settings/operation.

Lamonster
12-24-2015, 12:33 PM
I ordered these from Lamonster and they were shipped to me very quickly. Hubby said to get them for my Christmas present. I am so happy with them as I didn't check the air often enough. When I installed them all three tires were low!!

Thanks to Lamonsters garage for getting them to me so quickly.:clap:

Very happy customer!
Charlotte:yes:

Merry Christmas to everyone:D

Glad you got them. Jacob has been checking orders and a bunch of them delivered today :yes:

I brought in 10 sets of the siver too and have 5 sets left if you were waiting for those.
http://www.lamonstergarage.com/fobo-electronic-tire-pressure-monitoring-system-for-the-can-am-spyder-set-of-3-silver/

http://cdn3.bigcommerce.com/s-1dz5qu/products/165/images/838/FullSizeRender__31515.1450813692.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

Rando
12-24-2015, 10:17 PM
It's your phone or the bluetooth settings/operation.From FOBO. I'm using Android 6.0

Dear Rando,

Are you using Android 6.0 Marshmallow? If yes, starting from Android 6, the Bluetooth permission has been lumped into the location permission.

Best regards,
CTGan

AY4B
12-30-2015, 06:54 PM
I got mine today from Lamonster. Easy install except I'm not that crazy about those lock nuts. They were not designed for the cheap rubber valve stems that are on our spyders. I also got a set for my wifes Harley. On hers the valve stem is threaded metal all the way to the wheel. It makes it much easier to back that lock nut as far as you want to add air.

Pampurrs
12-30-2015, 07:01 PM
I got mine today from Lamonster. Easy install except I'm not that crazy about those lock nuts. They were not designed for the cheap rubber valve stems that are on our spyders. I also got a set for my wifes Harley. On hers the valve stem is threaded metal all the way to the wheel. It makes it much easier to back that lock nut as far as you want to add air.

I don't use the lock nuts on mine. I don't lock my $200 helmet, so I'm sure not going to worry about my valve sensors. If someone steals them, they are useless to the thief without me un-pairing them.

Pam

AY4B
12-30-2015, 07:06 PM
i just went out to the garage to check, and on my Samsung S6 Android phone you do not have to turn on location for it to connect - only Bluetooth.

Lamont, when installing mine I had the same problem you did with the locking nut. My "fix" was to just not use them. It makes adding air MUCH easier when you need to do it. I consider the FOBO to be one of the most useful mods i have done on the Spyder, and I've done a lot of them. It's absolutely great not to have to get down on my arthritic knees to check the tire pressures anymore.

I was thinking about leaving them off but if they get loose a little they will leak air. The lock nuts are not just a theft deterrent, they will keep them from backing off and loosing all your air.

Pampurrs
12-30-2015, 07:10 PM
I was thinking about leaving them off but if they get loose a little they will leak air. The lock nuts are not just a theft deterrent, they will keep them from backing off and loosing all your air.

Interesting point. I keep mine pretty snug and havent had that problem yet, but I will definately keep an eye on that. Thanks :thumbup:

Pam

AY4B
12-30-2015, 07:18 PM
As long as they stay snug, we shouldn't have a problem. My point is that putting them on and taking them off they leak a little air, not much but if they get in that loose zone, it can be a problem.

finless
12-31-2015, 10:46 AM
I have been using the lock nuts since day one with no problems.
Using the supplied tool is easy to back them off and remove the sensor.
Only problem is you then have to remove the lock nut to get a air filler on the stem.
No big deal really.
It's piece of mind that someone won't walk up an steal the sensors.

So what's the problem some are having with the lock nuts?

Bob

robmorg
12-31-2015, 12:50 PM
...So what's the problem some are having with the lock nuts?

BobI don't think there is any real problem with them. Lamont just said he didn't get one of them on far enough when he first installed them and that caused a leak. In my case I simply don't use them out of convenience. I keep them snug and it's much easier to add air without them (especially with arthritis in both knees). I've never used the locking nuts on my motorhome either, and have never had one stolen, so I'm just willing to take that chance.

I AM having one problem with the Android app, however. Now that it's winter and I'm not using the Spyder, the app on my phone still stays active and wants to query the sending units every time I turn my phone on. I'm sure this is eating up some battery unnecessarily, since I don't need the app running now. Bob (or anyone), do you know of any way to keep the app from starting up on it's own without deleting your data or unsubscribing to the service? Force stopping the app doesn't work as it re-starts almost immediately.

finless
12-31-2015, 12:59 PM
I don't think there is any real problem with them. Lamont just said he didn't get one of them on far enough when he first installed them and that caused a leak. In my case I simply don't use them out of convenience. I keep them snug and it's much easier to add air without them (especially with arthritis in both knees). I've never used the locking nuts on my motorhome either, and have never had one stolen, so I'm just willing to take that chance.

I AM having one problem with the Android app, however. Now that it's winter and I'm not using the Spyder, the app on my phone still stays active and wants to query the sending units every time I turn my phone on. I'm sure this is eating up some battery unnecessarily, since I don't need the app running now. Bob (or anyone), do you know of any way to keep the app from starting up on it's own without deleting your data or unsubscribing to the service? Force stopping the app doesn't work as it re-starts almost immediately.

I am on iPhone so I just turn off Bluetooth if I don't need it. You can also disable some APPs in iOS settings.

Now there is another way on both iPhone and Android but..... You may have to be jailbroken (iPhone) or rooted on Android.
Then you can install APPs that you can use to then tell certain APPs like FOBO not to auto-start.
You may be able to do it on Android without rooting depending on the service level FOBO starts with and your Android OS.
Check Google Play Store for APPs that control auto start of other APPs (like some cleaner APPs e.g. Clean Master for instance). They might work without rooting your phone.

Bob

robmorg
12-31-2015, 01:34 PM
Good suggestions. Thanks.:thumbup:

Since I use a hearing aid streamer for phone calls I almost constantly use Bluetooth, so turning it off is not an option for me. (Also in the Android version, turning off Bluetooth just gets you countless notifications from FOBO to turn it back on - but you can also disable notifications from apps.) Perhaps simply disabling the app for the winter season may be the most efficient way of doing it. I'll have to check first to see if that kills your saved data with Android OS. I'll check the Google Store as well, to see what may be out there.

I've often rooted Android phones with older versions of the OS, but the carriers are getting better and better at hiding root exploits, which makes the Android OS progressively harder to root. Besides there really isn't as much need anymore with the newest phones and the latest versions of Android. Do you jailbreak your iPhones?

Lamonster
12-31-2015, 02:21 PM
I don't think there is any real problem with them. Lamont just said he didn't get one of them on far enough when he first installed them and that caused a leak. In my case I simply don't use them out of convenience. I keep them snug and it's much easier to add air without them (especially with arthritis in both knees). I've never used the locking nuts on my motorhome either, and have never had one stolen, so I'm just willing to take that chance.

I never had an issue with not getting one far enough on. I did take one off and put the locknut on after putting air in and I didn't lose any air at all. I think you'll be fine with no locknut if you don't want to run them. The stock valve stems are short on the F3 front wheels and you really can't use the locknut on those unless to go to a standard length stem.

finless
12-31-2015, 03:26 PM
Good suggestions. Thanks.:thumbup:

Do you jailbreak your iPhones?

Always! It's a must do for me.

Also I am a Android nut so you know and run this web site
www.freaktab.com

I make custom ROMs for tablets and TV boxes that are pre-rooted.

Bob

AY4B
01-01-2016, 02:43 PM
New problem
I just installed the FOBO 2 days ago and have not gone anywhere. Battery level shows one full, one 3/4full and one 1/2 full. On my wifes Harley it shows one empty battery. I remember seeng the battery life was long, like several months. WTH??!!

AY4B
01-01-2016, 03:48 PM
Im thinking that as long as the app on my phone is on and within range of the FOBOs on the :spyder2:, they are communicating and running down the batterys. I need to make it a point to check my tires and close the app right away if I am not using it.:banghead:

AY4B
01-02-2016, 09:15 AM
Lamont,
Can you look into making some custom Lamonster FOBO Spyder cap covers? I noticed you can buy different covers at their store.

You may already have a sticker to put on the cover that has a spider on it.

AY4B
01-02-2016, 09:23 AM
On the battery issue, they are supposed to last 2 years. Ill have to look into what caused them to loose a lot of their charge. Is this why the FOBO came with an extra set of batteries? I like those T valves. I was wondering how hard it is to remove the tires to install them or should I have the dealer do it? Maybe I can order them and just have them installed on my first tire replacement.

finless
01-02-2016, 10:34 AM
My batteries lasted 8 months. It's not 2 years as advertised!

Now I have gone to LIR 2032 rechargeable batteries. They are working great!

Bob

AY4B
01-02-2016, 10:42 AM

Bob

I just watched your video on that, Thanks
I think Ill order them off the web, I found a 10 pack for 7.99 with free shipping. Ill try that for now than have to get a charger.
http://24hourbatteries.com/shop/cr-2032-lithium-battery-10pcs/

robmorg
01-02-2016, 04:02 PM
Im thinking that as long as the app on my phone is on and within range of the FOBOs on the :spyder2:, they are communicating and running down the batterys. I need to make it a point to check my tires and close the app right away if I am not using it.:banghead:That won't do any good. The app is self-starting and will come right back on, even if you force close it. :sour:

AY4B
01-02-2016, 04:57 PM
That won't do any good. The app is self-starting and will come right back on, even if you force close it. :sour:

After further review, That was not the problem, Im thinking now the FOBOs are shipped in batteries that are not intended to last long, kinda like when you buy a printer ant they have just enough ink to set it up and a little more. The kit also includes a second set of batteries. I don't know if FOBO or Lamont included them, they were taped on the outside of the box. In my wifes harley, both batteries went to the red 1 bar status. I changed them both with the fresh ones and well see how long they last. I reset both sets. If you change the recommended pressure, it requires that you start from scratch. I still have the extras that came with my Spyder set. I'm still showing 2-3 bars and a 2bar out of 4. If they last 8 months to a year, Id be happy. The batteries are easy to change. I swapped my rear silver cover with my wifes black front. That worked out well cause I really didn't want a silver one in the back, and the black on her front didn't go well with the chrome wheels.
I downloaded the owners manual and read it this morning. The lock nuts are not required to keep the FOBOs from backing off. They are strictly for theft deturent. I took mine off but they work well on the harley. I plan on getting the T valves later for the rear and something different for the front. They need all metal ones. Fobo sells some short valves but they may be too short. It is very difficult working the rear tire because the belt/ sprocket is in the way.

robmorg
01-02-2016, 05:10 PM

Bob Bob,

Mine are about half way down after 4 months, so they are likely going to last about 8 months also. But I wonder about how long the LIR 2032's will last between charges. Don't rechargeable batteries typically last much less time between charges than non-rechargeable batteries last? Have you used them long enough to have a feel for this yet?

AY4B
01-03-2016, 06:23 AM
Im thinking the true battery life could very well be 2 years. It could be that all the batteries that the set comes with are from a faulty or old batch. I want to install a fresh good quality set and see how long they last. Just the fact that we are getting inconsistent battery life from just a few days to 8 months which is far less than advertised tells me something is amiss.

finless
01-03-2016, 12:02 PM
Bob,

Mine are about half way down after 4 months, so they are likely going to last about 8 months also. But I wonder about how long the LIR 2032's will last between charges. Don't rechargeable batteries typically last much less time between charges than non-rechargeable batteries last? Have you used them long enough to have a feel for this yet?

I just started using the rechargeable batteries like 2 weeks ago.. So we shall see.

One thing to understand is standard 2032's are 3.2V when new (with a 4K ohm load).
The rechargeables are 4.2V (3.7 under load) which is why they say to make sure they work in your device. Some devices may not like 4.2V. But they do work on the FOBO sensors so all good there.

Now the fact they are 4.2V and these should not be discharged below 3.2V or they can be damaged, you probably should not wait till they are in the red!
A standard 2032 battery is considered dead at about 2.6V or lower (device dependent). This is well below the safe discharge value for a LIR 2032 as I said, should not be discharged below 3.2V!

I will be doing more tests with these LIR 2032 batteries with time and will publish my findings. When the scaled drops one bar on the FOBO software I am going to pull the batteries and see how low they went. With a 4K ohm resister as a load if the battery is below 3.2V then we may have an issue knowing when to charge them without drawing them too low. If so, I will try to work with FOBO about possible software changes to support these LIR 2032 batteries as an option so the battery scale will work with them.

I am still holding full bars right now so stay tuned for more info.

Bob

robmorg
01-03-2016, 02:29 PM
Bob,

Thanks for the detailed answer. :thumbup: It all makes sense. I'll be anxious to see your findings.

An off-topic comment... If you find yourself talking to the FOBO folks about software changes for the app, a useful item would be to add a "switch" in settings to disable the auto-start feature of the app. The auto-start feature is handy when you are using the bike on a frequent basis. But IMO there should be a setting to disable it and prevent the app from running, without losing all of your stored data, when the bike is not being used for extended periods of time - especially helpful for those users who live in cooler climates.

I'm going to email them with this same comment.

Lamonster
01-04-2016, 09:38 AM
I just got this information about the battery life on the CEO of FOBO. I had asked if I could get extra batteries to keep in stock.

I will try to explain on the subject of battery, which you see, is happening during the winter.
Try to recall the old days of digital cameras; the flash wouldn’t work during winter, it needs to be warmed up before each use. Here’s the gist – battery has 2 parameters, voltage and charge (the amount of current residing inside the cell). I will put these in point forms;

1)A new battery has a nearly full charge, with a nearly full voltage of 3.3V at 23 deg C ambient.

2)Over time, whether in use or not, the charge will normally leak, and so the voltage will drop slowly.

3)When in use, the charge will drain faster per design, and so do the voltage.

4)Upon reaching a certain charge level, the voltage will start to drop ‘disproportionately’, each time the signal is advertised. This signifies the battery is getting near to end-of-life, and the electronic circuit needs at least 2.6V-2.7V to function. (You may experience this disproportional phenomena in your phone battery, the first 10% drop seems to take quite long, and thence, it goes to 50% before you have your lunch! Yaak!)

5)When exposed to cold temperature, the voltage will exhibit a lower level, even the charge level is maintained! Users will see 1-2 bars, though the battery is still new, within a couple of months.

6)The battery will still work, even if it is showing 1 bar. However, it will stop functioning at lower than -40 deg C/F. This doesn’t mean it’s dead, and it will come alive again when it’s warmer. (This explains the camera flash issue.)

7)Please do not change the battery, if it’s still new, as long as you are still getting signal. Wait till the winter is over, and it will show the correct voltage again.

8)As you can see, the battery will work between 2.7V to 3.3V, having a working band of 0.6V, over 4 bars. We programmed each bar to show a drop of 0.15V, and this is very very sensitive. This will explain why the batteries read differently esp during the winter. Also take note, not all batteries leave the factories at the same voltage, some were already 3.0-3.1V when we received them at our factory. This is normal for all batteries. This is why we are giving a spare set of battery as a goodwill for all new purchase.

9)We can ship batteries together with a box of sensors, as part of the inherent component. We cannot ship batteries separately, as we need to declare them as dangerous cargo, and it will cost a bomb. You can get them in most electronic stores, and any brand will do. Model is CR-2032, which is a standard description of the battery size.

SpyderSteveFL
01-04-2016, 12:46 PM
Lamont,
Can you look into making some custom Lamonster FOBO Spyder cap covers? I noticed you can buy different covers at their store.

Has anyone used caps on their sensors yet? There was alot of talk about weight and issues with stems especially with other sensors like the Garmin. Are these caps like featherweight where they won't impact the total weight/bulk of the sensor? Do they fit the sensors snug? It seems like a good solution for a Limited/Chrome to get a black set then chrome caps for the front but want to make sure there would be no issues with them...

Lamonster
01-04-2016, 02:22 PM
Lamont,

I can look into that. Thanks for the idea :doorag:

jat4736
01-04-2016, 04:35 PM
Been reading all the post/comments and I so want to add to my list of things to get while at Spyderfest. But, I can not, for I do not own a smart phone or even iPhone. Hubby still have me in the dark ages---use a flip phone. But, I do have unlimited texting now--LOL

Pampurrs
01-04-2016, 05:33 PM
Been reading all the post/comments and I so want to add to my list of things to get while at Spyderfest. But, I can not, for I do not own a smart phone or even iPhone. Hubby still have me in the dark ages---use a flip phone. But, I do have unlimited texting now--LOL

If you want to use FOBO but don't want to fork out the money for a new smartphone, you could buy a used Iphone or Android for very little money. Bluetooth does not rely on cell service, so you could just enable the bluetooth and pair it with the FOBO sensors. You would end up with an extra device just for the FOBO, but it would work.

Pam

Bfromla
01-04-2016, 06:45 PM
I installed my first set of FOBO's on my F3 today and it wasn't too bad to setup. After downloading the app you create an account using just your email address. Once you do that you just add your bike and go through the step by step. One thing I found interesting is the app couldn't find the sensors unless I touched the sensor to the phone as they say to do. I was sure it wouldn't need to do that but after several attempts I decided to follow the directions and sure enough it worked.

After the install was complete I immediately got a warning that my rear tire was low from the 28 psi I set it at. So then I pulled the cap and put air in it and then put the cap on. I had the right pressure but I had removed the locking nut to be able to put air in so I had to remove the FOBO again and install the locking nut. I thought I would lose some air by doing that but as you can see my the last picture and time stamp I didn't lose any air at all.

I plan on adding these to my RT, my RT trailer and Joans F3 so I can check air in all of them on the same app. You just go through the setup again and name and take a picture of each bike or trailer you have monitors on. I got to say for me this is really handy because I don't check the air in my tires as much as I should. This for sure is a Lamonster Garage approved product. :doorag:

http://www.lamonstergarage.com/fobo-electronic-tire-pressu…/ (http://www.lamonstergarage.com/fobo-electronic-tire-pressure-monitoring-system-for-the-can-am-spyder-set-of-3/) ‪ (https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/fobo?source=feed_text&story_id=998895850153686)

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/12316433_998890663487538_6011113864259240558_n.jpg ?oh=4b31fa0732c7ff7fba3125a6060604c6&oe=572186D3

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/12321285_998890793487525_916465456800369317_n.jpg? oh=0119bb80f7bf65f8b1ce31a4024f1272&oe=571354D7

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12345533_998890746820863_450000519505989082_n.jpg? oh=5c8845f81a73372d163a8c02c417b5b3&oe=56D66586
So are they going to be at spyderfest 2016 like the lid locks were last year2015?

finless
01-04-2016, 06:52 PM
If you want to use FOBO but don't want to fork out the money for a new smartphone, you could buy a used Iphone or Android for very little money. Bluetooth does not rely on cell service, so you could just enable the bluetooth and pair it with the FOBO sensors. You would end up with an extra device just for the FOBO, but it would work.

Pam

It also works on my Ipod touch 5th gen!
Won't work on a iPod 4th gen or a iPhone 4x as those do not support Bluetooth 4.0+

Bob

Lamonster
01-04-2016, 06:59 PM
So are they going to be at spyderfest 2016 like the lid locks were last year2015?

Yes, this year I'll have good stock of everything. I have good stock of the blacks now and I have another shipment of silvers that should be here by the end of the week. :doorag:

AY4B
01-04-2016, 07:55 PM
Yes, this year I'll have good stock of everything. I have good stock of the blacks now and I have another shipment of silvers that should be here by the end of the week. :doorag:

You should also offer a combo. Silver on the front 2 and black for the rear. Or Make up your custom Lamonster caps for the front and black for the rear.
I swapped covers with my wife and got a black on my rear with no lock nut and gave her the silver for her front Harley wheel. Black in the rear disappears while the front needs to be the farkle.

Mazo EMS2
01-05-2016, 09:42 PM
This just might be a Spyderfest purchase for me...

Lamonster
01-07-2016, 09:28 AM
I just got 20 more sets of the silver and they are going fast. If you you were waiting for them my stock is good...for today anyway. :doorag:
http://www.lamonstergarage.com/fobo-electronic-tire-pressure-monitoring-system-for-the-can-am-spyder-set-of-3-silver/

http://cdn3.bigcommerce.com/s-1dz5qu/products/165/images/838/FullSizeRender__31515.1450813692.1280.1280.jpg?c=2 (http://www.lamonstergarage.com/fobo-electronic-tire-pressure-monitoring-system-for-the-can-am-spyder-set-of-3-silver/)

White Lightening
01-15-2016, 06:44 PM
Just installed FOBO that I bought from Lamonster. It consistently reads 2 pounds lower on on each tire compared to JT Thorton's dual fill gauge that I have been using for 2 years. Which one can I believe?

Pampurrs
01-15-2016, 07:54 PM
Just installed FOBO that I bought from Lamonster. It consistently reads 2 pounds lower on on each tire compared to JT Thorton's dual fill gauge that I have been using for 2 years. Which one can I believe?

Hmmmm mine measures perfectly matched to two gauges that I have in the garage. Maybe you got faulty sensors? I got mine directly from FOBO, maybe that's the difference..... dunno.

Pam

Rando
01-15-2016, 10:21 PM
Mine also reads low compared to my trusty digital gauge.

AY4B
01-15-2016, 10:35 PM
So does mine but not 2 pounds. The difference may be .2 and that may be just taking the gauge off and on. You need to get it checked at the tire shop to get more readings.

SpyderSteveFL
01-15-2016, 11:00 PM
FOBOs were my first farkle and loving them. So nice to just look at phone and see tires are good to go. I was around 2 pounds off using cheap digital gauge but I invested in THIS (http://www.amazon.com/TireTek-Flexi-Pro-Pressure-Gauge-Motorcycle/dp/B00XPL88NC/ref=sr_1_10?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1452916604) one and it's almost dead even with FOBO. But IMHO you can just split the difference and you'll be fine. If it's off by 1 pound or so it should not be a problem, just make sure to keep them there.

finless
01-16-2016, 12:45 PM
Man with too many gauges never knows the real tire pressure!

Been there done that.... The digital BRP gauges was the worst. Another digital gauge I have matches the FOBO.
I also bought a dial type that was supposed to be very accurate. It wasn’t!
The pen style pop out type are the worst. 3 of them I had all read differently!

The FOBO system was right on for me and how do I know? Being into RC aircraft when you have retracts on an airplane you have to pressure them very accurately. I had a gauge from a retract pump that had an expanded scale you could read it in .2 increments. It matched my FOBO system within .2.

One of the problems with mechanical gauges when used on the Spyder is the low pressures we run. Most of them are made to read car tires and thus expect 28 PSI or more! When you use them for reading 16 PSI the accuracy becomes a problem.

So from this experience just be aware the mechanical gauges (or some digitals) may not actually be accurate. I threw away 4 pressure gauges I had as they were all different.

Personally I would trust the FOBO system. If you feel you have 1 bad sensor, swap them between tires and see if a sensor reads differently than the others.

Bob

Lamonster
01-16-2016, 01:40 PM
By request we decided to kill two birds with one stone. For years people have been asking me for a domed decal to replace the small BRP logo on the gauge cluster on all the Spyders. It wasn't worth the setup cost for one little logo but then I had folks asking me for the Lamonster Garage logo for the FOBO's and they both happened to be the same size so I went ahead and made some up of each.
If you order FOBO's from me now they will come with the Lamonster Garage logo in the kit as an option. You don't have to use them but they do look pretty cool. If you already have my spider logos you can request that we change the LG decals for the spider decals in your notes. Just another way to add a little custom touch to your Spyder.

If you bought your Fobo's from me send me a PM with your name and I'll send you out a set free of charge if you would like a set. Just tell me if you want the logo or the spider. :doorag:

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/12573227_1017185544991383_1188948355310374422_n.jp g?oh=225e76c44d39e4aa06927cc699eedfc7&oe=57457FC4

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/12417919_1017185588324712_2505805757505700772_n.jp g?oh=56d7ea279f19e19d2f6b49145907f09f&oe=56FD12E1

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpl1/v/t1.0-9/12509782_1017187531657851_4756188202963377292_n.jp g?oh=daaa1aec783b95ea790fc19f62372aa3&oe=57403C9A

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/12565365_1017185634991374_3479404537200014337_n.jp g?oh=f27d9682a8c7e176685abe38f628be02&oe=57499C36

AY4B
01-16-2016, 02:18 PM
Thats Great news Lamont, check your PM's I sent you my request for 2 Lamonsters for the front and 1 spider for the dash:thumbup:!

AY4B
01-16-2016, 02:27 PM
By request we decided to kill two birds with one stone. For years people have been asking me for a domed decal to replace the small BRP logo on the gauge cluster on all the Spyders. It wasn't worth the setup cost for one little logo but then I had folks asking me for the Lamonster Garage logo for the FOBO's and they both happened to be the same size so I went ahead and made some up of each.
If you order FOBO's from me now they will come with the Lamonster Garage logo in the kit as an option. You don't have to use them but they do look pretty cool. If you already have my spider logos you can request that we change the LG decals for the spider decals in your notes. Just another way to add a little custom touch to your Spyder.

If you bought your Fobo's from me send me a PM with your name and I'll send you out a set free of charge if you would like a set. Just tell me if you want the logo or the spider. :doorag:

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/12573227_1017185544991383_1188948355310374422_n.jp g?oh=225e76c44d39e4aa06927cc699eedfc7&oe=57457FC4

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/12417919_1017185588324712_2505805757505700772_n.jp g?oh=56d7ea279f19e19d2f6b49145907f09f&oe=56FD12E1

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpl1/v/t1.0-9/12509782_1017187531657851_4756188202963377292_n.jp g?oh=daaa1aec783b95ea790fc19f62372aa3&oe=57403C9A

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/12565365_1017185634991374_3479404537200014337_n.jp g?oh=f27d9682a8c7e176685abe38f628be02&oe=57499C36

You need to start a new thread announcing this,
Thanks, Bill

PatriotRider
01-22-2016, 04:29 PM
I just watched your video on that, Thanks
I think Ill order them off the web, I found a 10 pack for 7.99 with free shipping. Ill try that for now than have to get a charger.
http://24hourbatteries.com/shop/cr-2032-lithium-battery-10pcs/

what charger did you go with?...are you satisfied with how well it works?...
can you give details on how/where to get it
thanx

finless
01-22-2016, 05:31 PM
I did build my own charger based on my video with the cheap circuit boards.
But before they got here from China I also bought this.

It was the ONLY charger I found that will charge a single cell.
It does have a EU plug so you will need a EU to US adapter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311088922158?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Bob

PatriotRider
01-22-2016, 05:37 PM
I did build my own charger based on my video with the cheap circuit boards.
But before they got here from China I also bought this.

It was the ONLY charger I found that will charge a single cell.
It does have a EU plug so you will need a EU to US adapter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311088922158?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Bob

thanx Bob
for the clueless like me, where/what adapter do we need to get?

wyliec
01-22-2016, 05:58 PM
[QUOTE=PatriotRider;1083651]thanx Bob

Here's a simple one. I have one that can be used around the world with different voltage/output ratings. I got mine at Best Buy.

http://www.sears.com/ablegrid-european-euro-eu-to-us-usa-travel/p-SPM10703055125?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

PatriotRider
01-22-2016, 05:59 PM
[QUOTE=PatriotRider;1083651]thanx Bob

[/http://www.sears.com/ablegrid-european-euro-eu-to-us-usa-travel/p-SPM10703055125?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Here's a simple one. I have one that can be used around the world with different voltage ratings. I got mine at Best Buy.

I was thinking of cheapest that would work available from ebay
probably shipped from Asia like the charger

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
01-22-2016, 06:25 PM
Lamont, i was wondering if the fobo's have any problem with galvanic fusing with metal valves like i use on my wheels

finless
01-22-2016, 07:48 PM
Ebay search EU to US AC adpater plug... Millions to choose from!

Bob

finless
01-22-2016, 07:50 PM
Lamont, i was wondering if the fobo's have any problem with galvanic fusing with metal valves like i use on my wheels

Lamont can answer but no from me....
The cases are hardened plastic and the valve components as well.
No worries there.

Bob

AY4B
01-22-2016, 08:22 PM
what charger did you go with?...are you satisfied with how well it works?...
can you give details on how/where to get it
thanx

Finless is the one with the charging system. My fobo batteries are holding up well. My wife on the other hand is having problems with the batteries running down. I put new ones once and those are now showing in the red meaning they are run down. Her bike has not left the garage once.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
01-23-2016, 09:51 AM
Lamont can answer but no from me....
The cases are hardened plastic and the valve components as well.
No worries there.

Bob

sorry i should have been more specific, the galvanic fusing that occurs with tpms is on the threads from valve cap to valve.

lmadsen
01-23-2016, 10:19 AM

So there is no monitor to have to install. So you just use the app to view your air pressure readings.

AY4B
01-23-2016, 11:24 AM
So there is no monitor to have to install. So you just use the app to view your air pressure readings.

Correct. Just the phone app.

AY4B
01-23-2016, 11:27 AM
In lamonsters post it shows a spyder icon. you can actually replace that with a pic of your spyder if you wish. FYI

lmadsen
01-25-2016, 11:03 AM
Is the app free?

Lamonster
01-25-2016, 11:08 AM
Is the app free?

yes and we have the direct links toward the bottom of this page
http://www.lamonstergarage.com/fobo-electronic-tire-pressure-monitoring-system-for-the-can-am-spyder-set-of-3-black/

finless
01-25-2016, 02:22 PM
In lamonsters post it shows a spyder icon. you can actually replace that with a pic of your spyder if you wish. FYI

Not quite..... you can add a picture of your own Spyder or whatever on the main menu for choosing a setup but you cannot change the picture of the screen that show the pressure sensors.

Bob

AY4B
01-25-2016, 09:53 PM
Not quite..... you can add a picture of your own Spyder or whatever on the main menu for choosing a setup but you cannot change the picture of the screen that show the pressure sensors.

Bob

Yes you can, I already did. I put the same pic that is in my sig in the center of the screen with the pressure sensors. I showed my wife how to do it and she just took a pic of her bike and that's what on hers.
All you have to do is long press the center Icon for about a second. It will give you 3 options, take photo, pick photo, restore default.

PS... By the way, I got my FOBO cover stickers in the mail today. Thank You Lamonster, They look great!

finless
01-28-2016, 09:52 AM
Yep, new feature they added. I had not updated my FOBO from the App Store in a while. Just did and I see they added that feature.

Thanks!

Bob

Lamonster
01-28-2016, 10:31 AM
This is another (one take video) that we did today at the shop. It's not perfect but it gets the point across as far as how to install and use this product. We keep a good stock of these now at the shop in black and silver and we ship all over the world. We can ship to Canada for around $10-$15 and we do this pretty much every week. If you have any questions give us a call or drop us an email. If you're on the fence this might push you off.
http://www.lamonstergarage.com (http://www.lamonstergarage.com/)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN9vspM2dPk

AY4B
02-06-2016, 05:19 AM

Got one on my dash
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=123811&stc=1

wengerda
02-24-2016, 11:35 AM
If you have to remove the FOBO every time you have to put air on the tires, is that means that I have to do like a "new install" when I put the FOBO back after adding air on my tires?. I am asking basically do I unscrew the FOBO, put air on my tires, and screw the FOBO back on the tires and the I Phone will update, or I need to do the same as a new install having the I Phone closed to the FOBO and wait etc? Thanks,:banghead:

gkamer
02-24-2016, 11:48 AM

Here's a review that addresses those very questions on Youtube.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-41jcKzNuY

finless
02-24-2016, 12:22 PM
If you have to remove the FOBO every time you have to put air on the tires, is that means that I have to do like a "new install" when I put the FOBO back after adding air on my tires?. I am asking basically do I unscrew the FOBO, put air on my tires, and screw the FOBO back on the tires and the I Phone will update, or I need to do the same as a new install having the I Phone closed to the FOBO and wait etc? Thanks,:banghead:

You do not have to go through programming again to add air. Just unscrew them, add air, screw them back on... Done..

Bob

wengerda
02-24-2016, 12:55 PM
Great information, I ordered them from Lamonster this morning, cant wait to install them in my bike. Now what about the lock nuts, do I really need them, I do not worry about someone stealing the FOBO's but losing air without them that could be an issue. Thank you.

You do not have to go through programming again to add air. Just unscrew them, add air, screw them back on... Done..

Bob

SpyderSteveFL
02-24-2016, 01:05 PM
I, like many others have said, do not use the lock nuts and have no issues. Still very tight when time to top them off.

wengerda
02-24-2016, 01:31 PM
Thank you, come on mail....:pray:

I, like many others have said, do not use the lock nuts and have no issues. Still very tight when time to top them off.

finless
02-24-2016, 01:37 PM
Thank you, come on mail....:pray:

Don't forget to get your custom Spyder graphic for FOBO from my other post :)

Bob

kitkat61
02-24-2016, 01:54 PM
I've read this entire thread, and NOT using the locks seems to be okay to do. That is the folks who thought it kept air from leaking out were wrong. Did I read that correctly? I have a real problem getting down on the ground as I cannot 'kneel' (trashed kneecaps). Hoping the FOBO's will help eliminate checking pressure for daily T-CLOCs, but I do not want to have to use the locks. Mostly because I'm worried about losing the little 'key' you need to remove them, but also because if I use them, it will make it just a bit harder to add air (especially on that blasted rear tire) and then my husband will insist that I - not him - be the one to do it. O:)
Anyone leave the locks off and regret it?
Placing an order with Lamonster this afternoon, so rapid responses are greatly appreciated!!

kitkat61
02-24-2016, 01:58 PM
So took a break before posting - I always like to re-read what I wrote before sending - and saw AFTER I posted that the question was just answered. Should have hit 'refresh'. :banghead:

Going online to order FOBO's and bumpskid. And possibly the Spyder Cuff if they're instock. :)

KJWEB
02-26-2016, 09:10 AM
The Spydee has been sitting in the man cave for 14 weeks on the battery tender. I installed the FOBOs yesterday. Yep, need to change out the air in those tires before riding season. :)

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=124820&stc=1

finless
02-27-2016, 10:57 AM
I see you used my Circuit Yellow image but you have a white background. It should be transparent (no background showing).
This mean the way you loaded it or something converted it from a GIF to jpg or something like that.

You should be able to get it loaded with no background showing like this:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=124862&d=1456588659

Bob

KJWEB
02-27-2016, 12:03 PM

Questions
02-27-2016, 05:11 PM
Apologies if this has been covered previously but I can't find anything. If for security reasons the caps will only work with the phone they are first paired with, until they are unpaired from that phone. What happens if the phone is lost or breaks? Do I have to buy new caps?

WingmanRT
03-01-2016, 08:36 PM
I am looking into getting a 4 set of FOBOs for my Spyder. 3 for tires and 1 for rear suspension. Question: What should the Max, Min and Recommended PSI be for the Rear Suspension? I have a 2011 RT Limited and I am a BIG boy (265lbs)

finless
03-02-2016, 02:12 PM
The Spec for the air shock is (as I recall) 30-90 PSI.
I have the compressor on my RTS and notice in general it run between 40 and 70 PSI.
I have set my min and max for the air shock to Min 32 and Max 80.

Bob