PDA

View Full Version : Time for planning

Fatcycledaddy
12-10-2015, 03:35 PM
Knowing that the Spyder is put away for the winter, it is time to start planing next years vacation. Looking to head to Utah again, had a great time there at Arches National Park and Grand Junction Colorado a couple of years ago.

Last year when I headed to Nova Scotia I asked for some info on places to visit and received some AWESOME information to location I might have missed otherwise, so I am asking for your input again. :clap:

Thinking of Zion National Park for a base camp for a week this trip, and day rides to things in the area. I need things to day dream about and spend time planning routes to, so any info you have for that area would be GREAT!!:yes:

Thanks

ARtraveler
12-10-2015, 03:45 PM
Knowing that the Spyder is put away for the winter, it is time to start planing next years vacation. Looking to head to Utah again, had a great time there at Arches National Park and Grand Junction Colorado a couple of years ago.

Last year when I headed to Nova Scotia I asked for some info on places to visit and received some AWESOME information to location I might have missed otherwise, so I am asking for your input again. :clap:

Thinking of Zion National Park for a base camp for a week this trip, and day rides to things in the area. I need things to day dream about and spend time planning routes to, so any info you have for that area would be GREAT!!:yes:

Thanks

You are right on with Zion as home base. IMO--the grand daddy of the "red rock" parks. In the area--Cedar Breaks National Monument, Bryce Canyon. A ride through Monument Valley and a stop at Wupatka National Monument (pueblos) and Sunset Crater Volcano National Park. Both in Arizona--down Highway 89.

All good stuff, and some of my favorite places in the SW. :yes:

PrairieSpyder
12-10-2015, 03:51 PM
If you're going to SW Utah, come to the Red Rocks rally Sept 27-30! Sight seeing and Spyder fellowship all in one trip! :ohyea:

Fatcycledaddy
12-10-2015, 03:55 PM
If you're going to SW Utah, come to the Red Rocks rally Sept 27-30! Sight seeing and Spyder fellowship all in one trip! :ohyea:

Sorry, we are going in June. I don't think I could put my next vacation off that long :banghead:without going bonkers.

Derk
12-10-2015, 04:13 PM
Southern Utah and Zion are beautiful. While in Zion, do the Angels Landing hike, you need to be in shape, but you'll have bragging rights.

Paula
12-05-2016, 12:29 AM
I will be getting 2 weeks in september (first 2 weeks I think). Currently thinking colorado mountains or Apalacian mtns (forgive my spelling).

For those that have done both what do yo like better? Places and roads you liked?

Is AAA as helpful as it was when I was kid for help in planning trips?

Sorry to piggyback on original bost.

Paula

Fatcycledaddy
12-05-2016, 07:52 AM
I will be getting 2 weeks in september (first 2 weeks I think). Currently thinking colorado mountains or Apalacian mtns (forgive my spelling).

For those that have done both what do yo like better? Places and roads you liked?

Paula
First off, Yes AAA still does a great job of giving y information for trips, I don't know about the old "trip tic" they used to give out, but all of the information books are still available.

Second, I think more information is available on the internet with peoples reviews of the areas you would like to visit. You also have sites like http://motorcycleroads.us/ that give you great information on good roads to ride.

Third, the people on this site have given me out of the way places to visit that may not have showed up on any other form of trip planning. They are an awesome resource.

Last, i have toured both appellation and rocky mountains several times, the appellation mts are closer but I choose to drive the long trip to the rocky mts over the short trip almost every time.

You also have Glacier national park, the Grand Tetons, and Yellowstone close to you that are great places to ride with AWESOME scenery. I personally am still partial to Colorado. I love you can go from the cold high peaks of Estes Park to the desert like area of Colorado National Monument in Grand Junction. The road following the river from Grand Junction to the Arches National Park in Moab Utah is awesome also.

Don't get me wrong, Blueridge Parkway and Skyline drive through the appellation and smokey mountains is a fun ride with lots of nice views, but it does not compare to the majestic views of the Rockies in my humble opinion.

Just a few pics from both areas of CO.

PrairieSpyder
12-05-2016, 09:18 AM

Paula

If you choose Colorado, get this book: https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-Motorcycling-Colorado-Definitive/dp/1884313922/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1480947405&sr=1-1&keywords=colorado+motorcycle+rides

I used it when I went to the Owners' Event at Durango a few years ago. Lots of great rides.