PDA

View Full Version : GUIDANCE: Exhaust Fumes

armyspydervet
12-10-2015, 02:01 PM
I've been noticing more than usual exhaust coming from my tailpipe. I'm coming from 2-wheel riding and didn't notice as much exhaust coming out. There is also a little moisture coming out as well. At first I though maybe I just put a bad tank of gas so I ran it until empty and put another full tank of 93 octane in. Just wondering if this is normal for a canam. It's a brand new 2014 ST-S SM5.

Thank you in advance.

https://vimeo.com/148530539

tried to upload a video, but I don't see it. Probably didn't work.

Bob Denman
12-10-2015, 02:20 PM
My guess: it's pretty normal! :thumbup:
You'll always have water condensing in the can, as the exhaust cools down...
When you fire the bike up in the morning; it gets blown out like that.
I'm betting that by the time the bike is fully warmed-up; you can't see any of that stuff.

20 seconds of video isn't enough to tell the entire story...

:shocked: Relax... :shocked:

oldguyinTX
12-10-2015, 02:54 PM
My guess: it's pretty normal! :thumbup:
You'll always have water condensing in the can, as the exhaust cools down...
When you fire the bike up in the morning; it gets blown out like that.
I'm betting that by the time the bike is fully warmed-up; you can't see any of that stuff.

20 seconds of video isn't enough to tell the entire story...

:shocked: Relax... :shocked:

:agree: Looks like water vapor to me.

armyspydervet
12-10-2015, 03:06 PM
Thanks. I will relax :ohyea::yes:

being new to the platform, just trying to figure out the ins and outs.

I appreciate it.

Bob Denman
12-10-2015, 03:16 PM
It's never a problem... :D
If you start your car up on a cold morning, and let it sit for a minute or two; you'll actually see it leave a damp spot on the driveway where the exhaust gases are directed... nojoke

Keep asking the questions. :thumbup: Somebody else is wondering the same thing, and they're too afraid to ask... :shocked:

Upstater
12-10-2015, 03:17 PM
Thanks. I will relax :ohyea::yes:

being new to the platform, just trying to figure out the ins and outs.

I appreciate it.

There is never any harm in asking. Better to have peace of mind. Your video looks normal. Does the "vapor" go away after the bike warms up? Mine takes about 5-10 minutes.

kep-up
12-10-2015, 03:18 PM
water vapor. no harm.

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-10-2015, 04:14 PM
You mentioned 93 Octane gas , I don't get the relationship ???... If there is water vapor in the exhaust system 93 Octane isn't going to fix it.....if you have Water in your GAS it's not going to matter if you have 93 Octane or not......Mike

armyspydervet
12-11-2015, 08:02 AM
You mentioned 93 Octane gas , I don't get the relationship ???... If there is water vapor in the exhaust system 93 Octane isn't going to fix it.....if you have Water in your GAS it's not going to matter if you have 93 Octane or not......Mike

So I won't pretend I know a whole lot about engines. Probably no correlation. The point I was attempting to make was I tried to run it bone dry and refill the tank in case it was bad gas and also someone asked me on another site if I was using low octane fuel. I thought maybe one or both may be a problem of the symptom I was having. But it sounds like on here that my exhaust is probably normal.

Thanks

Grandpot
12-11-2015, 08:16 AM
Spyders have a catalytic converter. Byproducts coming out of it is carbon dioxide, nitrogen, and water vapor. The water vapor is visible until the exhaust system warms up. Your spyder is normal.

Lew L
12-11-2015, 11:02 AM
Probably water vapor condensing in the mufler and when hitting the cold air.

But ----------- easy enough to get bad gas. Ever seen the bottom of a fuel tank at a gas station. All manner of crapola at the bottom. Worst for me was a small piece of wood( from the stick formally used to measure how much fuel was in the tank) that pluged the petcock of my old Honda 450. There are plenty of horror stories about bad gas out there.

Dirty fuel filters cause ::::::
Kaos