PDA

View Full Version : Dead Battery Alert! Time for a Battery Tender Jr??

StealthSpyder
12-10-2015, 11:59 AM
Hey guys,

I have a 2012 RSS and when I went to start her up yesterday...wouldn't turn over! I hadn't rode her for a few weeks, and it's been pretty cold here in KC at times recently. Figured it was the battery so I brought my truck over to the garage and turned the truck off. Hooked up jumper cables and let the truck battery charge the spyder battery for a minute while the truck was NOT running, which I remembered reading somewhere is important. Assume you can overblast the smaller spyder battery (which actually is a pretty big battery when it comes to the powersports arena) if you try jumping it with a running vehicle? Anyways, I digress.

I've spent enough time on the forums to have come across the idea of trickle chargers/tenders and their utility when it comes to spyders, especially in the cold and/or when not being ridden often. Going into the winter months, I suspect riding her will be once a month max if not less...only when a warm front rolls thru here in the Midwest.

Just wanted to make sure that this is the best option to go with?

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0123-Junior-Charger

Also, can anyone give me any pointers on how it works, how to use it, anything noteworthy etc?

Thanks! :2thumbs:

SS

Bob Denman
12-10-2015, 12:02 PM
Any of Battery Tender Juniors by Deltran will fit the bill! :thumbup:
But you might find that it's just time to replace your battery anyway... :shocked:
I gather that it's had four good seasons; that's about an average life for one of them...

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
12-10-2015, 12:03 PM
i got mine from revzilla. very easy to hook up, comes with connector to go on battery for quick connect

SpyderAnn01
12-10-2015, 12:10 PM
If you have a 2012, and this is the original battery, you likely need a new battery too.

kywinger
12-10-2015, 12:15 PM
G'day

I have been using the BatteryMINDer Model 12117 for quite awhile. The unit is a Charger/Maintainer/Desulfator.
Got mine at Northern Tool, they discount the units quite often, that last ones I got were about 25.00 each.
I have six to keep all my batteries charged.

My batteries seem to last much longer using this type of battery maintainer, had to replace a battery for my snow plow after 7 years.

Wire the pig tail to the battery and charge the battery anytime the Spyder will sit awhile unused. :spyder:
Hook the battery maintainer up and leave it on until your ready to ride next spring. :yes:

GOZFST
12-10-2015, 12:27 PM
One thing to remember is that most of the battery "maintainers" won't charge a dead battery. They need to see some surface charge to work. If your battery is really discharged you will need a real charger first to get it up to a point where the maintainer can keep it up.

StealthSpyder
12-10-2015, 01:36 PM
Thanks for all the responses guys!

One thing to remember is that most of the battery "maintainers" won't charge a dead battery. They need to see some surface charge to work. If your battery is really discharged you will need a real charger first to get it up to a point where the maintainer can keep it up.

It does appear that the Battery Tender Jr does do it all. I copied this from the description:

Complete 4-step charging program (Initialization, Bulk Charge, Float Mode) allows for optimization of battery power, without overcharging
Automatic charge cycle functionality switches to float mode after fully charging the battery

ARtraveler
12-10-2015, 03:57 PM
I am also a user of the Battery Tender Jr. A few weeks without riding probably let your battery run down. The Tender will not charge up the battery. As mentioned above, they will maintain--but not charge.

We have a 2011 that was bought new in 2012. Currently on battery tender for the big winter sleep (until late March or so). They get a full charge ride (100 miles or so) prior to winter shut down. Usually start on the first try in the Spring.

The 2011 will get a new battery in the Spring if not traded off on the new F3 I want--just because. Don't want the battery to die and leave me stranded in the middle of no-where. And...that is usually the way it happens on an "old" battery. No warning--just kaput.

Ron2andia
12-10-2015, 06:55 PM
I have the Tender Jr!

bmccaffrey
12-10-2015, 08:24 PM
Have a schumacher . It's a charger and maintainer.

Works good :thumbup:

BajaRon
12-10-2015, 08:30 PM
I highly recommend getting a new battery of equal or better construction. If you do not you may be left stranded or get a limp situation.

Sam Mac
12-10-2015, 08:37 PM
Have a schumacher . It's a charger and maintainer.

Works good :thumbup:

I also have a couple Schumacher's that I use on all of my small engine batteries. The Spyder and 7 tractors (number changes often). I get great life out of my batteries. Just sold a 2010 Harley that had the original battery in it. My other hobby is rebuilding Cub Cadet tractors so I have better things to do than buying batteries every couple years. Yeah I know I'm not right but it keeps me off the street and out of the bars. :2thumbs:

happyspyder2039
12-10-2015, 09:28 PM
Hey guys,

I have a 2012 RSS and when I went to start her up yesterday...wouldn't turn over! I hadn't rode her for a few weeks, and it's been pretty cold here in KC at times recently. Figured it was the battery so I brought my truck over to the garage and turned the truck off. Hooked up jumper cables and let the truck battery charge the spyder battery for a minute while the truck was NOT running, which I remembered reading somewhere is important. Assume you can overblast the smaller spyder battery (which actually is a pretty big battery when it comes to the powersports arena) if you try jumping it with a running vehicle? Anyways, I digress.

I've spent enough time on the forums to have come across the idea of trickle chargers/tenders and their utility when it comes to spyders, especially in the cold and/or when not being ridden often. Going into the winter months, I suspect riding her will be once a month max if not less...only when a warm front rolls thru here in the Midwest.

Just wanted to make sure that this is the best option to go with?

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0123-Junior-Charger

Also, can anyone give me any pointers on how it works, how to use it, anything noteworthy etc?

Thanks! :2thumbs:

SSI used an extreme battery charger/maintainer- 5 stages

latony007
12-11-2015, 02:59 PM
I ALWAYS have mine on tenders and it doesnt even get cold here and they dont sit idle for more than a week or two at most. Both my yamaha and my spyder. The cost is nothing, i am using a black and decker i got on amazon since i my tender Jr. took a dump on me.

AY4B
12-11-2015, 10:04 PM
I just installed one the other day. once I hooked it up, it went into charge and was still on red light when I left it. I had not been having problems starting it but once it was fully charged I noticed the boot up to start was a lot quicker. I also found that the terminal posts were not very tight. Im glad I got it straight before I got stranded.

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-11-2015, 11:22 PM
I just installed one the other day. once I hooked it up, it went into charge and was still on red light when I left it. I had not been having problems starting it but once it was fully charged I noticed the boot up to start was a lot quicker. I also found that the terminal posts were not very tight. Im glad I got it straight before I got stranded.
:yikes:...Get some STAR WASHERS and put them on the battery bolts......they will NEVER loosen by themselves again........Mike :thumbup: