PDA

View Full Version : Carrying a Jack for Tire Repairs

Sara
02-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Has anyone had a flat tire while traveling on a Spyder? A floor jack will work at home, but what about on the road? I measured from the frame to the floor, and you only have about 4 or 5 inches. I'm thinking that a small quality sissor jack may work best----what do you think?

effgjamis
02-02-2009, 04:15 PM
Has anyone had a flat tire while traveling on a Spyder? A floor jack will work at home, but what about on the road? I measured from the frame to the floor, and you only have about 4 or 5 inches. I'm thinking that a small quality sissor jack may work best----what do you think?

Use Ride-On ..... and hopefully you won't have a flat on the road.

LDFIREWORKS
02-02-2009, 04:22 PM
THAT WOULD WORK, OR JUST DONT GET A FLAT:2thumbs:

ataDude
02-02-2009, 04:50 PM
On all of my bikes, past, present and future:

I just carry a small 12v air compressor and a "sticky rope" tire repair kit. That will handle 90+% of the tire emergencies.

I've used the Stop-n-Go plug kit before but the steel belts in the radial tires seem to cut those much quicker than the rope plugs.

SSG Bean
02-02-2009, 06:07 PM

I just carry a small 12v air compressor and a "sticky rope" tire repair kit. That will handle 90+% of the tire emergencies.

I've used the Stop-n-Go plug kit before but the steel belts in the radial tires seem to cut those much quicker than the rope plugs.

:agree: I think this is the best way, other than roadside assistance, to deal with a tire emergency. You can't carry a spare to go along with the jack, so why carry the extra weight? Also, I wouldn't want to remove the tire and leave the spyder on the shoulder. I haven't had any problems yet, but assume that I would just call for transport if I have a major issue.

Roaddog2
02-02-2009, 06:56 PM
:agree:

Jinx
02-02-2009, 07:06 PM
:agree:Sticky rope and small compressor is all I've ever needed.

Donzo
02-03-2009, 11:01 AM
I also carry the sticky rope kit - and a can of fix a flat to re-inflate. This has saved me once on the road and many times on my quad out in the woods.

SpyderDog65
02-04-2009, 08:22 PM
or u can just purchase the roadside assitance on your insurance policy or if u have the brp best warrenty then roadside assitance is included. I would just stop doing all those burn outs then maybe your tire would last a bit longer lol i know its hard not to want to show off what a badass bike the spyder is but do try will u lol jk..................Michael

Trumpybob
02-07-2009, 04:42 AM
Here's a couple of variations that I noticed in a bike mag. Looks like they would be ideal.
http://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-10-cyclepump.aspx
http://www.advdesigns.net/adtipu.html
http://www.gryyp.com/cargol/ing.html
Especially puncture repair thingamajigs, no tools required.

Bob

smokster
02-08-2009, 12:28 PM

What is "sticky rope" ?

Dudley
02-08-2009, 12:38 PM
I have been reading about Ride-On and plan on putting some in my tires this week. Seems like the best way to drive with peace of mind. All the responses I have received from my inquiry have been positive, so I am going to go with the opinions of the experienced.

ataDude
02-08-2009, 01:34 PM
What is "sticky rope" ?

That's the typical, stringy tire plugs you can get at any auto parts store or even Wally World. For example, "Monkey Wrench" has a complete repair pack on a card for $5 or $6... hole reamer, plug inserter, adhesive and the plugs.

The "Stop-n-Go" kit uses slick plugs with a mushroom head, which are compressed and inserted into the hole by a special gun/tool. Prices are $25 and up for those. I've got one of these but prefer the sticky rope plugs. The theory is that the mushroom head seals the interior side of the hole. The reality, from my experience, says that the steel tire belts (in radial tires) cut these plugs very easily... causing a secondary flat. This kit probably works very well in bias ply tires... like for Scotty's collection of older bikes.

NancysToy
02-08-2009, 03:17 PM
...This kit probably works very well in bias ply tires... like for Scotty's collection of older bikes.
Sorry, my junk all has tubes. Plain old patch kit for those babies. :D The Stop-N-Go plugs do seem to seal better than the sticky ropes, but I agree that the belts seem to make short work of them...at least on motorcycle tires. For most motorcycle tires a repair is just enough to get you 50 miles or so to safety or a replacement tire. The tires are too thin to hold a repair effectively. The Spyder may fare better with its wide, flat tires with sustantially more tread.
-Scotty

M2Wild
02-08-2009, 03:29 PM
:agree:Sticky rope and small compressor is all I've ever needed.

If the chic is cute, I'll wait for the roadside assist ..... but if its PMS city, then sticky rope and escape. Either one works

smokster
02-09-2009, 12:36 AM
That's the typical, stringy tire plugs you can get at any auto parts store or even Wally World. For example, "Monkey Wrench" has a complete repair pack on a card for $5 or $6... hole reamer, plug inserter, adhesive and the plugs.

The "Stop-n-Go" kit uses slick plugs with a mushroom head, which are compressed and inserted into the hole by a special gun/tool. Prices are $25 and up for those. I've got one of these but prefer the sticky rope plugs. The theory is that the mushroom head seals the interior side of the hole. The reality, from my experience, says that the steel tire belts (in radial tires) cut these plugs very easily... causing a secondary flat. This kit probably works very well in bias ply tires... like for Scotty's collection of older bikes.

I have one of these tools ,never used though, can you use the sticky plugs with this tool?

NancysToy
02-09-2009, 08:48 AM
I have one of these tools ,never used though, can you use the sticky plugs with this tool?
No, different tools for sticky ropes and the Stop-N-Go plugs.
-Scotty http://forum.thestompbox.net/images/smilies/1a_snow.gif

bjt
02-09-2009, 09:19 AM
Sorry, my junk all has tubes. Plain old patch kit for those babies. :D The Stop-N-Go plugs do seem to seal better than the sticky ropes, but I agree that the belts seem to make short work of them...at least on motorcycle tires. For most motorcycle tires a repair is just enough to get you 50 miles or so to safety or a replacement tire. The tires are too thin to hold a repair effectively. The Spyder may fare better with its wide, flat tires with sustantially more tread.
-Scotty

dltang's rear tire has had a sticky rope plug in it for around 6 months, thousands of miles and there has not been any air leaking issues. We are still "buying time" until the tire finally gives out and we have to spend the $300 our dealer quoted for a new rear tire installed.

kalavera
02-09-2009, 09:30 AM
Here's a couple of variations that I noticed in a bike mag. Looks like they would be ideal......
http://www.gryyp.com/cargol/ing.html
Especially puncture repair thingamajigs, no tools required.

Bob

This is interesting. Anyone have experience with these?

smokster
02-09-2009, 06:59 PM
This is interesting. Anyone have experience with these?
No, but it looks cool though

Dudley
02-16-2009, 03:01 PM
I had Ride On put in my tires yesterday. Seemed to noticed a little smoother feel in the handle bars. Not sure if this was imaginative or not, so will ride a few more times to evaluate. Won't know if the stuff will work as advertised until I have to pull something out of the tire. Just having an extra assurance when traveling is good. I had the auto formula instead of the motorcycle formula because Spyders have automotive style tires. The Ride On rep even put it in the tires at no extra cost. 3 bottles at 14.95 each, plus tax. Great price!