PDA

View Full Version : 2 hour Farkle

easysuper
11-29-2015, 03:23 PM
Decided to add my only farkle to the bike this morning.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=120427&stc=1 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=120428&stc=1 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=120429&stc=1

Darren111
11-29-2015, 03:41 PM
About a hour ago decided to check out Spyderpops website and I am sure I saw a similar accessory to the one you have fitted on their website. Fantastic looking accessory you have just fitted :thumbup:

Cruzr Joe
11-29-2015, 03:48 PM
About a hour ago decided to check out Spyderpops website and I am sure I saw a similar accessory to the one you have fitted on their website. Fantastic looking accessory you have just fitted :thumbup:

Is this a Brake or turn signal light?

Some differences between his and Spyderpops (Spyderpops are Turn Signals/Emergency Blinkers)

1) Spyderpops goes on top Because: A) it will not collect water. B) The LED's are pointed out, not up (or) down, which prevents the light from reflecting in the mirror and obscuring your view. C) Spyderpops are Amber as opposed to red. D) Spyderpops are longer.

This is not meant to be critical, just pointing out some differences

Cruzr Joe

Darren111
11-29-2015, 03:59 PM
Cruzr Joe thanks for that info. Its great to know the differences and compare the item to similar items before I commit to buying:thumbup:

Chupaca
11-29-2015, 04:41 PM
looks to be red leds. If wired to the turn signal it will be operational to turn signal and four way. Amber would have been better seeing as they are visable from behind and red is not the turnsignal color most commonly used. But as a signal to the driver it's great to let you know whats on...:2thumbs:

easysuper
11-29-2015, 07:43 PM
After looking at many different signal lights it appered to me that the color between red and yellow is about 50/50 as for reflecting up, down, sidways, T tried it in all positions and liked this the best, as for water intrusion , water gets inside the mirrior no matter what, the thing to do is make sure you heat shrink all conections as any conection should be, I did this install on my 2013 and on my wifes also and now on my 2014, both of the last installs have had ample oppertunity to fail and have not, I just like to do some of these things myself and save the money for fuel to ride. Or for some of that great Pork Belly they sell at Costco.

Cruzr Joe
11-29-2015, 08:03 PM
After looking at many different signal lights it appered to me that the color between red and yellow is about 50/50 as for reflecting up, down, sidways, T tried it in all positions and liked this the best, as for water intrusion , water gets inside the mirrior no matter what, the thing to do is make sure you heat shrink all conections as any conection should be, I did this install on my 2013 and on my wifes also and now on my 2014, both of the last installs have had ample oppertunity to fail and have not, I just like to do some of these things myself and save the money for fuel to ride. Or for some of that great Pork Belly they sell at Costco.

I too make some of my own mods, like i said, i was only pointing out the difference, not judging one way or the other, if everybody did it the same it would not be "our own" Spyder, good luck.

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
11-30-2015, 08:26 AM
:clap: :thumbup:
How much "Fun" was it; fishing the wiring out from the housing?
On the first mirror that I did; it was only a fifteen minutes struggle... :D
But the OTHER side... took over an hour! :banghead:

Cruzr Joe
11-30-2015, 11:48 AM

That's cause you were fishing without a license. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Anonymous

easysuper
11-30-2015, 12:41 PM

It only took 2 hours start to finish , fishing the wires out only takes about 2 minutes , the striping of the wires and soldering takes the longest as I dont cut the factory wires just strip a small section then solder on the splice, then shrink tube, fun stuff for old eyes, total cost was about $12.

Cruzr Joe
11-30-2015, 12:44 PM
It only took 2 hours start to finish , fishing the wires out only takes about 2 minutes , the striping of the wires and soldering takes the longest as I dont cut the factory wires just strip a small section then solder on the splice, then shrink tube, fun stuff for old eyes, total cost was about $12.

Try using posi-taps no wire cutting, no soldering. (Google Posi-taps for more info)

Cruzr Joe

easysuper
11-30-2015, 12:56 PM
Try using posi-taps no wire cutting, no soldering. (Google Posi-taps for more info)

Cruzr Joe

Tried them once on a trailer Joe, I just like the no-fail connection of a soldered splice, the little tiny barb on a posi-tap does not give me a warm and fuzzy.

Bob Denman
11-30-2015, 12:59 PM
That's cause you were fishing without a license. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Anonymous
:D When I do that; it normally involves a fair amount of nightfall, and some dynamite! :yikes:

NorCalBud
11-30-2015, 02:47 PM
Besides these being a less expensive way to go....I really like how they light up the back of the housing as well as being seen from the front.
I have the TricLed version of this Mod in amber, which I like, but after seeing how those are glow, I might have to add some more!
Nice Job!

Fatcycledaddy
02-02-2016, 09:55 AM

If you don't mind me asking, how do you fish the wires through? Did you separate the front and back housing as I saw on another post, or just fish the wires through somehow?:dontknow:
I removed my mirrors last night to add some LED's but thought I would hold off untill I asked what was the best way to do it.

Thanks

Cruzr Joe
02-02-2016, 11:35 AM
If you don't mind me asking, how do you fish the wires through? Did you separate the front and back housing as I saw on another post, or just fish the wires through somehow?:dontknow:
I removed my mirrors last night to add some LED's but thought I would hold off untill I asked what was the best way to do it.

Thanks

You do not have to take the mirror apart, just drill a small hole in the thin plastic web to allow the wires to not get pinched. I will see if there is a video out there to assist you, if i find it i will post a link or maybe someone else can post a link, it is fairly simple.

Cruzr joe

GOZFST
02-02-2016, 11:51 AM
Where did you get them?

easysuper
02-02-2016, 01:15 PM
Where did you get them?

I got them at Auto Zone

robmorg
02-02-2016, 01:51 PM
Nice job! And you did it without taking the housings apart. :thumbup:

I installed the AutoZone ones also. Put mine on the vertical side edges reflecting out. But I took my housings apart to do it, which was a BAD mistake. :sour:

GOZFST
02-02-2016, 07:37 PM
I got them at Auto Zone
Thanks

motoswami
02-03-2016, 12:22 AM
[QUOTE=Fatcycledaddy;1087280]If you don't mind me asking, how do you fish the wires through? Did you separate the front and back housing as I saw on another post, or just fish the wires through somehow?:dontknow:

Fatz:
Not my original idea, but some other brilliant DIY-er suggested using a length of dental floss as a leader tied to your wire; then sucking it through the hole the original wire passes through using a shop vac. Amazing how neat this can work when you hold your mouth right.

Pete