PDA

View Full Version : CB antenna tuning

SSPSpyder
01-31-2009, 01:57 PM
As a 30+ year CB nut, I can offer the following on antenna tuning:

1) Ground is crucial! If the antenna mount is not properly grounded to the frame of the vehicle, you will never get it tuned. Use a jumper wire if you have to.

2) When using an SWR (standing wave ratio) meter to tune the antenna, make sure the coax cables are hooked-up to the proper connectors on the meter (output/input), and follow the instructions that come with the meter.

3) Make sure your :spyder: is 20 or more feet away from any other vehicles, structures, etc. when tuning your antenna. This includes other people.

4) The higher the antenna, the better it is, but there's not much you can do on a Spyder.

5) No matter what she says, longer is better! Use the longest antenna you can put up with looks-wise.

6) You're aiming for the lowest SWR you can get - anything less than a 1.5 is great - but some antennas are tough to tune, as long as you are less than the red zone of the meter you should be O.K.

7) There are 3 methods to tuning: tune the channel you will be using the most (17 or 19 for truckers, etc,), channel 20 since it is in the middle of the band, and tuning channels 1 and 40 to the lowest they will go and match each other, the rest of the channels should be close.

8) Firestick antennas usually have a copper wire underneath the top cap that you trim to tune - never cut more than 1/4 inch off of this at a time, then re-check the SWR. If you trim too much you'll have to solder some more wire back on to it.

9) There is no magic number - tune it as low as it will go as long as it is not in the red.

10) CB radios are fickle pieces of equipment, that's why they are being replaced with FRS radios. At any given time of day, with a CB your talk range can vary from less than a mile to 5-6 miles!

11) I noticed someone suggested taking the radio and antenna off of the Spyder and sending them to be tuned - don't - everything must be on the vehicle to tune the antenna properly!

Hope this helps!:thumbup:

effgjamis
01-31-2009, 02:57 PM
Tell us about the FRS radio?

thanks

SSPSpyder
01-31-2009, 03:20 PM
The Family Radio Service (FRS) is an improved walkie talkie radio system. This personal radio service uses channelized frequencies in the ultra high frequency (UHF) band. It does not suffer the interference effects found on citizens' band (CB) at 27 MHz. FRS uses frequency modulation (FM) instead of amplitude modulation (AM). Since the UHF band has different radio propagation characteristics, use of FRS is more reliable than license-free radios operating in the HF CB band.

Here's one way to go:

http://www.chatterboxusa.com/cbx1btunit.html

Putt-Putt
01-31-2009, 06:48 PM
I got a question for ya. I had a brand new antenna still in the package but about 26 yrs.old a High Gain (Son of a Gun.). I made a bracket to bolt on my truck bed just behind the middle of rear window. I temporary clamped it in place to see what I got for an SWR reading. I got 1.1 perfect. I did this because I didn't want to drill holes unnecessarly in my new truck. So I drill and mount in exact same place and now I got 3.1 to 1, too high. I added a ground wire from antenna bracket bolt down to the frame still high reading. This was the best antenna I ever had back in the 1970's. No problem talking 10 to 15 miles regular. People used to accuse me and friends that had the same antenna of having a kicker, thats how good it talked. And I owned almost every type & kind of antenna you could get back then. This is a base lode antenna roof type mount--thats the reason for the mount bracket. Not going to put a hole in my roof.
So what do you think is the problem--still ground? :dontknow:

SSPSpyder
01-31-2009, 07:07 PM
Let's see if we can figure this out -
What is your mounting bracket made of, steel, aluminum, other?
What are your mounting screws made of, steel, aluminum, other?
Where the bracket meets the truck, did you leave the paint intact or is there some bare metal for the bracket to mate up with?
Is the bracket painted or bare?
Is the ground wire attached to the bracket, or the screw/bolt that attaches the antenna to the bracket?

Don't ask me how I know this - are the coax connectors all tight (radio, 2 on the meter, antenna) and not cross threaded?

Don't ask me how I know this one either - when mounting, did you accidentally drill through the coax cable? Or pinch it, or cut it, when installing the bracket?

Putt-Putt
01-31-2009, 10:11 PM
Let's see if we can figure this out -
What is your mounting bracket made of, steel, aluminum, other?
What are your mounting screws made of, steel, aluminum, other?
Where the bracket meets the truck, did you leave the paint intact or is there some bare metal for the bracket to mate up with?
Is the bracket painted or bare?
Is the ground wire attached to the bracket, or the screw/bolt that attaches the antenna to the bracket?

Don't ask me how I know this - are the coax connectors all tight (radio, 2 on the meter, antenna) and not cross threaded?

Don't ask me how I know this one either - when mounting, did you accidentally drill through the coax cable? Or pinch it, or cut it, when installing the bracket?

1. The bracket & bolts steel
2. Bracket & truck painted --same as when clamped--
3. star washer under bolts on bracket side ground wire
between bolt head & star washer
4. coax % connectors are good coax was not hooked up when drilled so could be that. Bracket is just painted with flat black spray can job.

I think it must be ground some how got me beat I must of mounted 50 to 60 antennas back when everybody and his brother had one. I just can't understand when I held the bracket with antenna on in exact same place with 2 plastic wood clamps and got 1.1 to 1 As a matter of fact I had the bracket clamped in place when I drilled the holes. Go figure that.

I even had several Base units never had this before. Every thing from ground planes to beems. :banghead: :dontknow:

SSPSpyder
02-01-2009, 12:57 PM
If your bracket and truck mating surfaces are both painted the only metal to metal contact is where the screw threads go through the bracket and truck - not much.
Try scraping the paint off where the star washers meet the bracket and truck so you have some bare metal contact, spray the area with WD-40 to prevent rust and try tuning again.
Another thought - maybe when you calibrated the meter the first time the calibration was set low, which would result in a false xmit reading? Also, you did re-calibrate the meter for the second attempt didn't you?
Unless I think of something else, it looks like you've got it covered. Sometimes this CB stuff can be exasperating, can't it?

Putt-Putt
02-01-2009, 07:12 PM
You got that right. I calibrate the meter every time- for each chanel 1 --20--and 40. Ya I know about the paint, but there was no star washer ( added that after high SWR) when I just clamped on paint and all and got 1.1 to 1. Which I couldn't beleive so I double checked got the same. Spred was 1.1 to 1.3 max from channel 1 to 40. I even checked the antenna coil for continuity and all was good. So for now I,m at a blank. I think I'll redo the connection at the frame of truck and see what happens. But Will wait for a little warmer weather to do it. I also bought a new antenna I will try if all else fails. If that don't work I'm going to be :cus:.

If you remember 30 or so years ago. Do you remember the co. Tram Diamond and Yaesu. I still got the Tram, but sold the Yaesu which I wish I still had. It was one really exceptional radio. I had truck drivers asking me if I would sell it all the time. With an offer I could not refuse I did. I know it was not exactly CB ,but