PDA

View Full Version : Tires and sway bar - leave on or change?

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-26-2015, 06:21 PM
As discussed in this thread, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?88235-About-to-join-Club-Cognac!, I'm getting a 2014 RT-S. I have the BajaRon Sway Bar on my 2013 RT, and the tires are getting short on tread. So my question is directed to those of you who have bought or sold a used Spyder in the last couple of years.

If I take the sway bar off of the 2013 and put the stock one back on, in order to put it on the 2014, will this help or hurt the saleability of my 2013 RT? If so, how much?

How about the tires? There still are a few thousand miles left on all the tires, so how much of an impact will it have one way or the other if I don't put new tires on before selling?

My inclination right now is to leave the bar and tires as is on the 2013. I'm thinking the sway bar may be a good selling feature, and not changing the tires will let the new owner decide what kind of tires they want to run with.

Bob Denman
11-26-2015, 06:39 PM
That's what I'd do; leave the bar on bike, and let the new owner choose his own brand of tires... :thumbup:

Copperman
11-26-2015, 07:09 PM
When I sold my '13 RTL I took off everything that would go on my '14RTL. I still left on quite a few things that didn't transfer (many lights, bumpskid, extended warranty, cat bypass, Stebel air horn to name a few) and it didn't hamper the sale. Remember, you'll have to replace them, eventually. $$$ out the window.

Edit: This is, of course, if you do all the work. It would be too costly to pay to have them removed and then reinstalled.

Peter Aawen
11-26-2015, 07:15 PM
You are right that leaving the sway bar ON might make a good selling point, but if bike/car sales over there are anything like they are here in Aus, it's unlikely that it'll convert to significantly more $$ in your pocket on the sale... Same with tires, sure, you could bite the bullet & fit new tires, but doing that isn't all that likely to convert to extra $$ on the sale, altho NOT having good tires on it will give the buyer a potential bargaining chip to leverage the price down a bit (so bear that in mind when setting your sale price & during negotiations ;))

So if you are really keen to do the extra work of removing the BajaRon bar & refitting the OE bar, sure, go ahead, but I reckon you are just making more work for yourself - or adding to your expenditure before sale if you pay someone to do it for you!! You might value your time & effort at greater than the cost to you of getting a new bar on the new vehicle & so feel you are making the cost/effort of strip & refit x 2 worthwhile (cos you gotta do the opposite on the new bike too, remember - once on the old bike, once on the new, with all the risks & effort involved!) but realistically, if you sell your bike as is you will probably be better off in the long run and only face ONE set of strip & refit costs (BajaRon bar on the new bike) AND you get the added advantage of the bar on the old bike being a selling point.... even if it doesn't add a heap of value to the sale price (& farkles/performance mods rarely do) it certainly won't cost you to leave it there & could well tip the scale between making or losing the sale! :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-26-2015, 07:59 PM
IMHO , if you get a 25 % return on what you spent you will be doing very, very well.......which means you just threw 75 % away :yikes:......People who buy used stuff never say ....well why doesn't it have a SWAY Bar or why doesn't it have extra lights etc..........Mike :thumbup:

PMK
11-26-2015, 11:19 PM
Honestly, it just depends.

If you want to sell the Spyder sooner, or make it more appealing and less bargaining the price down, unless the tires are more than 50% left, replace them.

There are probably a lot more people that do not know the optional sway bars even exist. Leaving the sway bar on, only matters if the person has done the homework. You would probably get more if sold here, but me personally, I would probably leave it on, just in case I got a knowledgeable buyer.

If the machine is close to needing an oil change, that too can make the machine stand out when compared against another one for sale.

An old or marginal battery is another easy to replace not too expensive item.

Ultimately though, make it spotlessly clean, so it shows well.

As for the previous stuff I mentioned, maybe none of it needs to be done, it will cost some money, but then again, it gives you the advantage to ask a better price, within reason.

PK

cptjam
11-26-2015, 11:45 PM
If you swap out the swaybar, factor your time. If you pay someone to do it, skip it. If you need tires, buy some. If yours are ok, skip it. Clean and ready to sell, in the spring.

Chupaca
11-27-2015, 12:00 AM
:agree: I have never found taking off products I used to install them on another unit to be worth it. New machine new and improved products..:thumbup: if the tires still have life sell it as is...:thumbup:

finless
11-27-2015, 10:29 AM
If I was to sell mine for a new one I would do the following at a minimum.

Remove the Comfort seat and install the stock seat.
Remove the NVB pegs
Reinstall the original analog gauges
Remove the Sena-sm10 Bluetooth module but I would leave the cable.
Swap back the windshield mount blackout bracket.
Swap back the original non-chrome do-dads and keep the chrome ones.

All of this would take maybe 1 hour and worth it in my opinion.

My big desire would be to keep the tri-axis handlebars as they are expensive but swapping them back is a big job so I would probably let that go.

Bob