PDA

View Full Version : SM5 prone to problems?

pathfinderjoe
01-30-2009, 10:38 PM
After frequent visits this site it appears to me that there have been numerous reports of problems with the SE5. Is the SM5 prone to problems also? I am just waiting for the weather to improve before I take the big leap into the Syder world and I don't want to regret getting an SE5. :thumbup:

bdspyder
01-30-2009, 11:29 PM
I've got an SM5 with about 3000 miles. No problems yet but the SE5 does seem to have some shifting problems. Get the 3 yr extended warranty to be on the safe side and for peace of mind.
Dont wait--- get the :spyder: You'll love it

NancysToy
01-31-2009, 07:53 AM
First, let me say this, on any forum like this the problems are reported and dicussed at length, but when everything is fine, folks talk about something else. Just like reading Consumer Reports, you will get a skewed idea of the problems, even though they may be on only a very small percentage of machines. Yes, there have been problems of some sort with both models. The SE5 problems seem to be reported as being more serious because they seem to affect the basic operation of the machine more noticeably...namely the electronic shifting. There have also been some difficulties with riders getting the "feel" for the SE5, namely shifting at high enough rpm. It takes a certain feel.

I come from the time when you went down to the shop and bought a Triumph, BSA, or Harley, and hoped it would actually get you home without stopping along the way. Nobody that ever rode one was not stranded beside the road from time to time. We considered it normal. Even after the Hondas and their kin came out, with vast improvements in reliability and lack of leakage, they weren't as reliable as the cars of the time...which had their share of problems, too. There is a reason that all motorcycles are sold with a toolkit! If you need bulletproof reliability, you may not want a motorcycle...even the highly touted BMW. Are your chances of having nothing major go wrong very good...absolutely, but nothing is 100% reliable. That's why vehicles come with warranties. Pick whichever model you prefer, most of them have been ridden many, many miles without incident.
-Scotty

Lamonster
01-31-2009, 08:13 AM
Even after the Hondas and their kin came out, with vast improvements in reliability and lack of leakage, they weren't as reliable as the cars of the time...which had their share of problems, too.
-Scotty
Got to disagree with you there Bro. :doorag:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_bsRsQNgEY

NancysToy
01-31-2009, 08:32 AM
Got to disagree with you there Bro. :doorag:

YouTube - Greatest motorcycle ever (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_bsRsQNgEY)
Hey man, great video. Don't get me wrong, I love the old Hondas. They were the best motorcycles ever made as far as I am concerned. I own 16 of them ranging from 1960-1968. I even have a couple of Super Cubs. Still, I cut my eye teeth mechanically by overhauling Cub 50s. The average small motorcycle back then went less than 5,000 miles in its lifetime here in the US, and had almost always seen a few wrenches applied during that time. The average car went at least 50K before a major overhaul...even without oil filters. I've seen very few sixties bikes that went over 25K without a complete overhaul. The Honda Super Cub is even better than the VW Beetle, IMO, but it still requires a toolkit to rack up the miles. :) Aren't you supposed to be out buying Geritol, or something? :D
-Scotty http://forum.thestompbox.net/images/smilies/1a_snow.gif

pathfinderjoe
02-01-2009, 02:56 AM
Thanks for all the input. Appreciate your comments and enjoyed the video. I'm still leaning toward the SM. :thumbup:

bone crusher
02-01-2009, 07:56 AM
Thanks for all the input. Appreciate your comments and enjoyed the video. I'm still leaning toward the SM. :thumbup:

Buy the SM5...not necessarily for the fewer problems, but because it keeps you more in touch with the feel of the road...like a manual car vs. an automatic...IMHO, the SM5 is more fun to ride...

Spend the extra cash on modifications like a new exhaust, NMN's lights, riser bars, windshield (sorry tat), etc...

SpyderDog65
02-02-2009, 02:49 PM
After frequent visits this site it appears to me that there have been numerous reports of problems with the SE5. Is the SM5 prone to problems also? I am just waiting for the weather to improve before I take the big leap into the Syder world and I don't want to regret getting an SE5. :thumbup:

well in my opinion it depends on the bike u get. i bought mine in oct of last year and when i bought mine the dealer told me brp told em they didnt have anymore 08's avail so i would have to wait for an 09 model and didnt know when i would recieve it. this made me a bit angry since i had already put down my 1k and i bitched a bit online on this web site and spydertalk and i guess a couple of brp reps saw my posting and got a hold of my dealer and they found a Red SE5 in San Diego and had it shipped down to Sacramento for me and ive had almost no probs with it i did have one semi-major issure when it died on me one time in traffic and it was my gear position sensor and they also replaced a spring that was a upgrade that has been all the probs ive had with mine lucky me but this is were i was going orignally when they sent me my bike from san diego they had two to choose from they picked the one they sent me and this other guy from my town who also orded one at around same time as me and he didnt want to wait either but he actually flew down to san deigo and purchased the spyder from the san deigo dealership and drove it back here and his spyder has has nothing but trouble since hes bought it, i think they have finally fixed his correctly but it was in and out of the shop a few times......now if i would have gotten that spyder over mine i would have been hella pissed off so like i said at the beginning of this freakin longass post it depends on the Bike u get :) .....................Michael

Red SE5 6spoke rims,1inch riser,Venom exhaust by motad,Mono seatcover,NMN Juicebox,NMN 8k HiD Headlights,NMN Tripleplay Tailights,NMN Fender Tips,NMN Extra Brakelight,NMN Carbon Fiber SE5 990 Handlebar Inserts,Kewlmetal Spiderweb Insert for Radiator Hole on side panel,Kewlmetal Mirror Extensions,Kury ISO Handgrips/Throttleboss,Kury ISO Footpegs,ProPad Gelseat Cushion.

bone crusher
02-02-2009, 08:53 PM
well in my opinion it depends on the bike u get. i bought mine in oct of last year and when i bought mine the dealer told me brp told em they didnt have anymore 08's avail so i would have to wait for an 09 model and didnt know when i would recieve it. this made me a bit angry since i had already put down my 1k and i bitched a bit online on this web site and spydertalk and i guess a couple of brp reps saw my posting and got a hold of my dealer and they found a Red SE5 in San Diego and had it shipped down to Sacramento for me and ive had almost no probs with it i did have one semi-major issure when it died on me one time in traffic and it was my gear position sensor and they also replaced a spring that was a upgrade that has been all the probs ive had with mine lucky me but this is were i was going orignally when they sent me my bike from san diego they had two to choose from they picked the one they sent me and this other guy from my town who also orded one at around same time as me and he didnt want to wait either but he actually flew down to san deigo and purchased the spyder from the san deigo dealership and drove it back here and his spyder has has nothing but trouble since hes bought it, i think they have finally fixed his correctly but it was in and out of the shop a few times......now if i would have gotten that spyder over mine i would have been hella pissed off so like i said at the beginning of this freakin longass post it depends on the Bike u get :) .....................Michael

Red SE5 6spoke rims,1inch riser,Venom exhaust by motad,Mono seatcover,NMN Juicebox,NMN 8k HiD Headlights,NMN Tripleplay Tailights,NMN Fender Tips,NMN Extra Brakelight,NMN Carbon Fiber SE5 990 Handlebar Inserts,Kewlmetal Spiderweb Insert for Radiator Hole on side panel,Kewlmetal Mirror Extensions,Kury ISO Handgrips/Throttleboss,Kury ISO Footpegs,ProPad Gelseat Cushion.

I think you broke the world record on most words for one sentence...I'm worn out.... :shocked: