PDA

View Full Version : Core Curriculum. You Gotta Be Kidding

Kraut
11-25-2015, 06:59 PM
I just watched my grand daughter complete a 2.5 hour online 9th Grade Honors Biology test-and as a teacher with some experience I'm not sure where we are going in our Core Curriculum. Here's a question from the exam:
"During chemiosis, ______ are transferred from NADH and FADH2 to electron acceptor modules, and the energy released is used to create a(n) ____ gradient across the mitochondrial membrane."

if you liked that one, try this: "During which phase of aerobic reparation is ATP produced directly by substrate-level phosphorylation?"

I haven't seen anything like this since I took biology in college.

Mcubed45
11-25-2015, 07:04 PM
That many kids are smarter than we were back in the day. And, that makes me feel good.

Bob Denman
11-25-2015, 07:09 PM
:agree: The pace has increased, and they've got to keep up with what' coming next. :thumbup:

Was the correct answer "42"? :shocked:

Kraut
11-25-2015, 07:16 PM
:agree: The pace has increased, and they've got to keep up with what' coming next. :thumbup:

Was the correct answer "42"? :shocked:

It was and still is- but since it was a test I couldn't tell her.

ARtraveler
11-25-2015, 08:41 PM
I have been given an accounting class filled with high school over achievers for Spring semester. Going to be interesting how they handle the college version of the subject.

Trbayth
11-26-2015, 09:58 AM
Well it was honors Biology. I would expect the material and the questions to be harder.

Did she know the answers?

Hmm, interesting. Wikipedia comes up with nothing for chemiosis.

Sure it wasn't supposed to be https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemiosmosis instead?

Bob Denman
11-26-2015, 10:12 AM
:shocked: Do you mean that it was also a SPELLING TEST??? http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=120293&stc=1

Kraut
11-28-2015, 07:00 PM
Well it was honors Biology. I would expect the material and the questions to be harder.

Did she know the answers?

Hmm, interesting. Wikipedia comes up with nothing for chemiosis.

Sure it wasn't supposed to be https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemiosmosis instead?

Ah...yep. Problem was that I was scribbling as fast as I could. My error

Joe T.
11-28-2015, 07:17 PM
WOW!!

I would be very proud of her.

Smart kids today.

Joe T.

PrairieSpyder
11-28-2015, 07:25 PM
I have been given an accounting class filled with high school over achievers for Spring semester. Going to be interesting how they handle the college version of the subject.

I taught Econ I at the local community college and was not too impressed with the students there - except for one guy from China!

To the OP, I am impressed with your daughter's level of study! :thumbup: If she understands that material, I hope she'll decide to be a doctor.

Joe T.
11-28-2015, 11:07 PM
I taught Econ I at the local community college and was not too impressed with the students there - except for one guy from China!

To the OP, I am impressed with your daughter's level of study! :thumbup: If she understands that material, I hope she'll decide to be a doctor.

Not to disagree, but DOCTORS (MDs, if that is what you meant) are overpaid technicians. I hope she decides to become a research scientist. Her intelligence would be wasted working as an MD. She would make a lot of money, but money ain't everything.

Regards,
Joe T.

wyliec
11-29-2015, 10:55 AM
Not to disagree, but DOCTORS (MDs, if that is what you meant) are overpaid technicians. I hope she decides to become a research scientist. Her intelligence would be wasted working as an MD. She would make a lot of money, but money ain't everything.

Regards,
Joe T.

Really. Technician is a broad term. What technicians are you referring to that can perform surgeries, for example.

PrairieSpyder
11-29-2015, 02:21 PM

Regards,
Joe T.

Just don't say that to the next MD who's about to cut into your body!

Joe T.
11-29-2015, 03:21 PM
Really. Technician is a broad term. What technicians are you referring to that can perform surgeries, for example.

A lot of PAs do surgery.

Again, I wouldn't want this young lady to waste her life for just money. Do something that may change the world. Be a scientist, not a doc.

Joe T.

Joe T.
11-29-2015, 03:33 PM
Just don't say that to the next MD who's about to cut into your body!

That is a problem, ain't it???

I guess some of my frustration is with the medical care available here in Wichita. I am not impressed.

Enough rant. I hate this Wichita doc, but they seem to all be only semi-competent here in Wichita.

Regards,
Joe T.

wyliec
11-29-2015, 04:18 PM
A lot of PAs do surgery.

Again, I wouldn't want this young lady to waste her life for just money. Do something that may change the world. Be a scientist, not a doc.

Joe T.

I'm familiar with Physician's Assistants and Nurse Practitioners. I wouldn't call them technicians; there are Physician's Technicians also known as a clinical lab technicians, not close to the duties of the PA or NP. PA's suture up after surgery; they do not perform major surgery in NYS, and they perform under supervision of a licensed physician.