PDA

View Full Version : Inaccuate Thermometer Reading

armyspydervet
11-25-2015, 11:19 AM
Anyone have an inaccurate thermometer reading on their dash? I've been riding to work the last few days and my dash digital thermometer has been reading 40-50 when it was in the 30's. My Spyder is grage kept so I wonder if it is reading the garage temp and just takes awhile to adjust to outside. No big deal, just wondering.

Bob Denman
11-25-2015, 11:22 AM
Actually; that reading was never meant to reflect the actual temperatures in which you ride. :shocked:
The sensor is up under the bodywork, and takes it reading from there in order to give an accurate number to the computers. That way, the fuel mixtures can be properly set.
Remember; it's the air temperature from where the air is being drawn, that matters! :thumbup:

Chupaca
11-25-2015, 11:29 AM
The placement of the sending unit is to blame. It is more for the temp of the air flow to the throttle bodies than what you are feeling. It picks up a lot of road heat and you will find that in the summer months it will read well above the temp your feeling. Asphalt tends to be very hot in the summer and still warmer in the winter. You can get a little stick on temp guage for your dash if you want the real temp and check the wind chill chart for your travel temp...:thumbup:

armyspydervet
11-25-2015, 11:30 AM
Actually; that reading was never meant to reflect the actual temperatures in which you ride. :shocked:
The sensor is up under the bodywork, and takes it reading from there in order to give an accurate number to the computers. That way, the fuel mixtures can be properly set.
Remember; it's the air temperature from where the air is being drawn, that matters! :thumbup:

Thanks...You learn something new everyday. I was just riding and freezing my rump this morning and saw it said 45 degrees. I said to myself, "self, there is no friggin' way it is 45 degrees out here." But I was listening to tunes and the roads were wide open due to no one working in the DC area and I was happy.

Happy Thanksgiving

armyspydervet
11-25-2015, 11:32 AM
The placement of the sending unit is to blame. It is more for the temp of the air flow to the throttle bodies than what you are feeling. It picks up a lot of road heat and you will find that in the summer months it will read well above the temp your feeling. Asphalt tends to be very hot in the summer and still warmer in the winter. You can get a little stick on temp guage for your dash if you want the real temp and check the wind chill chart for your travel temp...:thumbup:

Nah, Its not that big of deal. I am brand new to this Spyder thing so just trying to learn about my equipment.

Happy Thanksgiving

Bob Denman
11-25-2015, 11:35 AM
Truthfully: BRP should never have put that reading in the display... :shocked:
If they wanted an accurate thermometer for our use; it would have required another sensor, that was mounted in a completely different place... nojoke

Cruzr Joe
11-25-2015, 01:23 PM

Whew, good thing they did not place it under the seat. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack:

Cruzr Joe

Cruzr Joe
11-25-2015, 01:24 PM
Thanks...You learn something new everyday. I was just riding and freezing my rump this morning and saw it said 45 degrees. I said to myself, "self, there is no friggin' way it is 45 degrees out here." But I was listening to tunes and the roads were wide open due to no one working in the DC area and I was happy.

Happy Thanksgiving

No one ever works in the DC area :lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smilie :

Anonymous

armyspydervet
11-25-2015, 01:45 PM
No one ever works in the DC area :lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smilie :

Anonymous

That is not too far from the truth, my friend. :banghead:

Bob Denman
11-25-2015, 01:47 PM
:shocked: Don't remind us about it... We're all trying to get our "Holiday" on; right now! :yes::yes::yes:

ARtraveler
11-25-2015, 05:31 PM
I note it takes about five miles to go from garage temperature to outside temperature. The gauge is always about two degrees different from those time/temp signs and always a degree or so different than the other :spyder2:. Strictly a "ballpark" gauge--sort of like the gas gauge.

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-25-2015, 05:42 PM
My observations have been that it does reflect within a degree or two the actual air temperature, but it is very slow to respond to changes, like on the order of 10 to 15 minutes. In the sun it will show well above ambient due to the tupperware heating up. I had times when I got a check engine error after being parked for awhile because the temp was showing 120+ in sunny 105°F weather.

vided
11-25-2015, 06:32 PM

Anonymous

HEY, that was my line. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

ulflyer
11-25-2015, 07:26 PM
Aw come on folks, we only paid $25-30K for these things, how can you expect to have an accurate temp gauge, or clock, for that matter. :p:p

MidTNDawg
11-25-2015, 07:53 PM

Anonymous

ever truthful?

Well Hell
11-25-2015, 08:48 PM
My experience with my 13 RT-S has been about an 8 degree difference (higher) on the gage when compared to actual. I too got the "check engine" thingy (technical term) last Sept. when I rode from San Diego to Las Vegas. The big thermometer in Baker CA. showed 110 and the bike said 128. The Spyder does not like that! Once I got going though it came down some and the light went out. Maybe that helps, maybe not, but ride anyway! :shocked::hun:

4 MARIE
11-25-2015, 11:03 PM
Next you'll be asking for an accurate fuel guage.
and if BRP gives you that, you'll expect an accurate clock, and a useful speedometer.

You see how this would be a corporate slippery slope. I think you should trust your skin sensations.

TommyBwell
11-25-2015, 11:57 PM
I thought mine was pretty close until yesterday when the high was 52 and it was reading in the mid/upper 60's.

Deer Slayer
11-26-2015, 08:09 AM
Noted, nothing has a correct reading on my RS-S. Speedo 3 mph low, temp out side temp high, clock too fast, and who knows how much fuel on board?:dontknow:

Bob Denman
11-26-2015, 09:16 AM
Since it's Thanksgiving... :D

I am thankful for the VERY accurate fuel gauge, that BRP equipped my 2014 RT-L with... nojoke
It is by far; the most accurate fuel gauge that I've had in ANY vehicle that I've ever owned! :clap:

When the low fuel light comes on; I know that it'll take just over 5.5 gallons of fuel! :thumbup:

PrairieSpyder
11-26-2015, 09:18 AM
Truthfully: BRP should never have put that reading in the display... :shocked:
If they wanted an accurate thermometer for our use; it would have required another sensor, that was mounted in a completely different place... nojoke

:agree: It sounds like it's an in-process metric that only the systems need. If there's a problem (process result) that's what we'd want to know.

KX5062
11-26-2015, 11:01 AM
Mine is fairly accurate, but as noted, is slow to react. However, the clock is horribly inaccurate and needs to reset every month or so. :mad:

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-26-2015, 12:04 PM
Since it's Thanksgiving... :D

I am thankful for the VERY accurate fuel gauge, that BRP equipped my 2014 RT-L with... nojoke
It is by far; the most accurate fuel gauge that I've had in ANY vehicle that I've ever owned! :clap:

When the low fuel light comes on; I know that it'll take just over 5.5 gallons of fuel! :thumbup:
Is that the in dash gauge, or the cluster digital gauge? If you remove the in dash gauge is the digital one just as accurate? I would think it would be, but just wondering.