PDA

View Full Version : adding collant

quasi
11-25-2015, 10:04 AM
whoever designed for the location of the coolant reservoir tank ought to be shot! rant off:mad:

Brentc
11-25-2015, 10:38 AM
Along with the less than ideal location, it is also very difficult to see the level of coolant in the reservoir. I think mine is a little bit low, but will need to get the angled inspection mirror out to see if I can look down onto the tank. To tough to tell by looking through the plastic to get an accurate level

Chupaca
11-25-2015, 10:53 AM
it is awkward...but on the RS not too bad. I find that if you sway the spyder when checking it is easier to see the liquid. I run 75% water so tougher to see but if its moving it becomes visable. I have had to add water maybe twice in three years so they may have found this spot to be suitable. Has anyone seen where the battery was placed on the old suzuki intruders..?? Now that was a genious...:roflblack::roflblack:

IGETAROUND
11-25-2015, 01:14 PM
if you shine a light into it from below the level is much more easily seennojoke

Cruzr Joe
11-25-2015, 01:19 PM
Be sure to add the right coolant for your year Spyder or it could coagulate and mess up your cooling system. :yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:

Cruzr Joe

quasi
11-25-2015, 01:26 PM
I added prob a pint or a little less maybe of the blue peak brand mix. all I had.

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-25-2015, 01:44 PM
I added prob a pint or a little less maybe of the blue peak brand mix. all I had.

:gaah:....Well you were certainly low on coolant.......However as " Cruzr Joe " just mentioned mixing certain types of Anti-freeze can be very bad........and BRP doesn't use the Common Type ( that figures ) ........Good Luck with what you put in, ....what EXACTLY did it say on the container ?????......Mike :thumbup:

quasi
11-25-2015, 01:53 PM
:gaah:....Well you were certainly low on coolant.......However as " Cruzr Joe " just mentioned mixing certain types of Anti-freeze can be very bad........and BRP doesn't use the Common Type ( that figures ) ........Good Luck with what you put in, ....what EXACTLY did it say on the container ?????......Mike :thumbup:

put it this way I will be draining it shortly! :banghead: so if I go to auto zone or advance auto parts as long as it is formulated for aluminum it should be alright??

well I guess the owners manual just ain't for looks is it! coolant specifically designed for aluminum engines. I didn't realize this peak mixture I have sitting here was so old. it's formulated for 1989 and earlier!! having worked in the automotive collision field for 30 plus years I know to check these things. oh well, the bike is 3 or 4 years old and I am sure it could use new coolant.

stillriding
11-25-2015, 02:35 PM
whoever designed for the location of the coolant reservoir tank ought to be shot! rant off:mad:​It's the same person who's responsible for the placement of the rear wheel air valve.

Highwayman2013
11-25-2015, 03:00 PM
If you think putting coolant in is hard, try changing the spark plugs.

quasi
11-25-2015, 05:08 PM
drained, flushed twice, filled and burped with 50/50 premix formulated for aluminum.:banghead:

Pandy
11-25-2015, 07:26 PM
I remove the plastic cover thing for the radiator cap/dataport access (has a pictogram of both) and shine a light from the rear of the tank. So, if the level is low, I am halfway towards topoff. My $.02
Patrick

pegasus1300
11-25-2015, 11:54 PM
I just had my coolant changed by my dealer( High Country Power Sports in SLC). In the course of our conversation he told me that the threaded bung was just jambed in the hole and frequently comes loose when the drain bolt is removed. They had this happen a couple of times and had to remove the radiator and welded up.Their method is to remove the lower hose and drain the coolant that way.

Has anybody else run into this problem

SpyderAnn01
11-26-2015, 01:48 AM
All of these things were the creation of tiny little engineers.

Pandy
11-26-2015, 07:59 AM
I just had my coolant changed by my dealer( High Country Power Sports in SLC). In the course of our conversation he told me that the threaded bung was just jambed in the hole and frequently comes loose when the drain bolt is removed. They had this happen a couple of times and had to remove the radiator and welded up.Their method is to remove the lower hose and drain the coolant that way.

Has anybody else run into this problem
When I changed my coolant the first time I wrung off the bung. Solution? Purchased new plug, epoxied in place and use the lower hose drain method. You live and learn.
Patrick

nightshift357
12-21-2015, 11:11 AM
Can anyone explain to me how to access the coolant reservoir

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Pandy
12-21-2015, 01:02 PM
Can anyone explain to me how to access the coolant reservoir

Whatcha got? Year, model, you know, stuff like that.

nightshift357
12-21-2015, 01:07 PM
I have a 2015 RT Limited, and would like to know how to access coolent res reservoir.

AeroPilot
12-21-2015, 09:28 PM
I have a 2015 RT Limited, and would like to know how to access coolent res reservoir.

On the 2015 RTs the cap is just below/behind the black access panel on the right side (sitting on the bike), under the frunk lid. Its got a computer and temperature Icon molded on it.

Just open the frunk lid and pull the one Push-pin plastic rivet holding the wedge shaped black plastic cover above/behind the frunk opening. There is a Once the rivet is out, slide the black plastic cover out (note the tabs that fit in the slots), and look under the overhang to see the coolant tank fill cap. Fairly easy to get off if your hands aren't too big. In bright light you can see the coolant level or with back lighting as some have said. Otherwise, a long plastic zip tie can be used as a "dip stick" to try to guage the fluid level.

In good outdoor light, you should be able to see the fluid level and the "cold" and "hot" level lines. A long stem funnel from the parts house can allow you to direct a small amount of BRP coolant to the reservoir. Be sure to put the cap back on to the second detent, so it doesn't leak.

AeroPilot
12-21-2015, 09:32 PM

On the 2015 RTs the cap is just below/behind the black access panel on the right side (sitting on the bike), under the frunk lid. Its got a computer and temperature Icon molded on it.

Just open the frunk lid and pull the one Push-pin plastic rivet holding the wedge shaped black plastic cover above/behind the frunk opening. Once the rivet is out, slide the black plastic cover out (note the tabs that fit in the slots), and look under the overhang to see the coolant tank fill cap. Fairly easy to get off if your hands aren't too big. In bright light you can see the coolant level or with back lighting as some have said. Otherwise, a long plastic zip tie can be used as a "dip stick" to try to guage the fluid level.

In good outdoor light, you should be able to see the fluid level and the "cold" and "hot" level lines.

Pandy
12-22-2015, 05:27 AM
Sounds a lot like how my '11 access is. So now if I ever trade up, I'll know how to check coolant without having to look in that pesky owners manual.

Cleg
12-22-2015, 07:23 PM
As long as we are talking coolant...I note after very short ride, like from the garage into the trailer, there is a wet spot/leak under the bike. Nothing after a 200+ mile ride. Return to dealer who told me they couldn't find anything. Suggested the bike 'burped' the coolant. Frustrating it is with the 15 RTS SS 1330. :mad::banghead: Just wondering if anyone else has experienced such a leak and if so what was the cause? Thanks

i suppose if it blows, the dealer has it on record and BRP will make good. (Let's hope)

Brentc
12-22-2015, 09:14 PM
Have been noticing the sweet smell of antifreeze the past few rides and spotted some drops along the right side a arm the other day when I got home. So I checked today when it was cold and I was down about a pint. So I topped off and it will be added to the list of repairs for the dealer this spring, prior to the spyderfest trip.

jaherbst
12-22-2015, 09:47 PM
My spell check will not allow me to spell C O L L A N T? I have to do it this way. How could that happen? I guess I have a lot to learn eh Joe. :joke:

Jack

Bfromla
12-22-2015, 10:42 PM
Fyi had warning light go off for no good reason & asked Lamonster share pic's of mod he did. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=121564&stc=1 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=121565&stc=1 Fyi led http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=121566&stc=1 & the Rt looks easier than my ST http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=121567&stc=1 so good luck.

ponchatoula
03-17-2016, 01:09 PM
Along with the less than ideal location, it is also very difficult to see the level of coolant in the reservoir. I think mine is a little bit low, but will need to get the angled inspection mirror out to see if I can look down onto the tank. To tough to tell by looking through the plastic to get an accurate level

I have a large light that I keep in my trunk that can be connected to my 9 volt cigarette lighter. I place this behind the wheel and shine it on the tank. For filling the tank, I use a turkey injector. It works for me. I also have a Stanley 450 volt battery jumper that has a 9 volt plug in it. I plug the light into the adapter. The stanley battery jumper also has an air pump that I use to inflate the tires.

ponchatoula
03-17-2016, 01:11 PM
I have a large emergency light that I keep in the trunk of my car that I can plug into the 9 volt cigarette adapter. I place this light behind the tire and shine it upward. I plug this light into a Stanley 450 amp battery jumper that has a 9 volt receptacle. To fill the tank I use a turkey injector. Ot works for me.