PDA

View Full Version : I Got Called...

Bob Denman
11-24-2015, 08:23 AM
:shocked: By a lurker... :shocked:
Yesterday afternoon; I get a call in the office from someone with a question...
It turned out to be a lurker from in here...
He wasn't a member, and I'm not really sure what he was looking for, but he asked if there were any Places of Interest around where I live.
(He and his Wife were thinking about riding to here, from Minnesota...)
I told him that I'd send him some links to tourist info...
...And then I stopped!
I don't know this guy, and something just didn't seem right... :dontknow:

Has anyone else gotten a "Cold Call" from a lurker?

After thinking about it; I decided to NOT send anything. After all; I don't know him, and if this guy isn't willing to sign up and become a member in here; why should he reap any benefits?

Was I wrong? :shocked:

LoveMyRyde
11-24-2015, 08:35 AM
I think you did the right thing. These days you can't be too careful.

oldguyinTX
11-24-2015, 08:46 AM
Haven't gotten any calls, but I think you were wise not to give the guy any info.

Devious56
11-24-2015, 08:59 AM
As someone who normally goes out of his way to help others, I think you did a wise thing.

David

cuznjohn
11-24-2015, 09:07 AM
i haven't got any calls. do you have the number to do a reverse look up of the number for the name of the person

Bob Denman
11-24-2015, 09:18 AM
Not on this old phone system... :opps:

Fatcycledaddy
11-24-2015, 09:18 AM
Bob, am I missing something somewhere? I know I am newer to this site but I can't find where your phone number is listed anywhere, and none of your contact information is visible to me until I log in.
Where did he get your number and contact info if he was a lurker?

Bob Denman
11-24-2015, 09:22 AM
That's one of the things that worried the Missus... :yikes:
The guy must have been doing some sort of internet search for me, and phone a phone number... :dontknow:
:shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked:
Folks in here that know me; know that I'll give out a number or an email for contact purposes...
I've got nothing to hide, or to hide from; I'm just not sure about folks who haven't decided to sign up as a member.

hecoon
11-24-2015, 09:28 AM
The guy must have been doing some sort of internet search for me, and phone a phone number... :dontknow:
Folks in here that know me; know that I'll give out a number or an email for contact purposes...
I've got nothing to hide, or to hide from; I'm just not sure about folks who haven't decided to sign up as a member.

that's what happens when you are famous

lyonsden
11-24-2015, 09:30 AM
It's pretty easy to come up with the info on a google search. Just search Bob's name, city and state which are all in his bio, and the word insurance. When you're in business it's pretty easy to find your contact info. I think you did the right thing too Bob.

Bob Denman
11-24-2015, 09:33 AM
that's what happens when you are famous

NOT famous... :opps:
Just annoyingly loud sometimes... :D

jaherbst
11-24-2015, 09:46 AM
Just google Denman Insurance and the phone number should pop up. Maybe you should have an unlisted number for your business Bob. :joke:

In todays fibre world you did the right thing. Suspicion used to be a bad thing, today it is a good thing!

Jack

Pirate looks at --
11-24-2015, 09:48 AM
You know that you have posted your Business Sign on here more than once. Your Avatar shows where you live. How many Bob Denmans are ther in Grahamsville (sp) New York. Not long ago someone mentioned that my avatar had the liscence plate of my Spyder on it. I took that down right away. Frustrating but in this day and age people are easy to find!:banghead:

vided
11-24-2015, 09:51 AM
you definitely did the right thing
and the guy HAS SOME SET

Pirate looks at --
11-24-2015, 09:53 AM
Just google Denman Insurance and the phone number should pop up. Maybe you should have an unlisted number for your business Bob. :joke:

In todays fibre world you did the right thing. Suspicion used to be a bad thing, today it is a good thing!

Jack

That was easy. Even shows where you are on the map! You most definitely did the right thing.

murphybrown
11-24-2015, 09:56 AM
I read your heading: I GOT CALLED...any my overactive imagination says someone called Bob an A$$!! And I was getting ready to type a reply to straighten that person out right quick...then I read the post..say to self...see there you go jumping to conclusions without slowing down and getting all the facts.
Yep Yep you made the right decision on that one Bob Denman...and I am soooo excited you are coming to SF 2016...been to long without your smiling face and wonderful hugs. You and yours have an awesome Thanksgiving. :thumbup:

PMK
11-24-2015, 10:01 AM
I deal with all sorts of odd stuff it seems, maybe similar to what others deal with also.

Always cautious, but then again, in this case, send him some info and be done. The links are public I would hope, and unless you are vulnerable in other ways, how can this be a bad thing.

Now if they were asking to ride with you, or something similar to remove you from the routine and your everyday plans, that may be different.

Yes good to be cautious, but there must be some level of trusting people also.

PK

Bob Denman
11-24-2015, 10:07 AM
I'm NOT saying that this guy was a no-good, boot-licking, mud-eating, dumber than a pail of wet hair sort of a guy...
He was pleasant on the phone...

But if you want to be treated like one of us; BECOME one of us! :2thumbs:
We'd love to add any SpyderLover to the family!

Bob Denman
11-24-2015, 10:08 AM
...and I am soooo excited you are coming to SF 2016...been to long without your smiling face and wonderful hugs. You and yours have an awesome Thanksgiving. :thumbup:

Thanks, Karyl. ;)
And the same to you and your family too! :2thumbs:

finless
11-24-2015, 11:04 AM

Bob, you have pictures on here with people standing next to and showing your Business sign for your insurance company. It would not be hard at all to look you up!

Bob

finless
11-24-2015, 11:05 AM
I read your heading: I GOT CALLED...any my overactive imagination says someone called Bob an A$$!!

You mean he's not? :banghead:

:roflblack:

Bob Denman
11-24-2015, 11:20 AM
Oh; I know that I am! :D
And I want to Thank folks in here, for not beating me over the head with that fact every day!:clap:

spydaman60
11-24-2015, 11:39 AM
I've got nothing to hide, or to hide from; I'm just not sure about folks who haven't decided to sign up as a member.i'm not sure about some that have signed up. hell, i'm proof of that!!:roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
11-24-2015, 11:45 AM
Don't worry, Chuck! :D
In spite of everything that I've heard; you turned out to be an all-right guy!! :2thumbs:

...And The Missus sends you lots of hugs for the Holiday Season!

spydaman60
11-24-2015, 11:50 AM
Don't worry, Chuck! :D
In spite of everything that I've heard; you turned out to be an all-right guy!! :2thumbs:been talking with my wife, have ya?

grumpybob
11-24-2015, 11:59 AM
Grahamsville, NY. Question is - Why would anyone from anywhere else want to call someone in Grahamsville NY.? You probably made the right choice.

cuznjohn
11-24-2015, 12:00 PM
i just remembered, i once got a call that was obscene with heavy breathing and moaning, i had the police check my phone records and find out who it was because they never called back again, and i enjoyed it

Bob Denman
11-24-2015, 12:02 PM
:shocked: You really do scare me sometimes....

:D But in the BESTEST ways!! :clap: :thumbup:

Cruzr Joe
11-24-2015, 12:08 PM
WELL ................................. Thats the last time i will call you.

Anonymous

Bob Denman
11-24-2015, 12:12 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=120209&stc=1

:shocked: I mean..."ANONYMOUS"! :D

PrairieSpyder
11-24-2015, 12:40 PM
It's pretty easy to come up with the info on a google search. Just search Bob's name, city and state which are all in his bio, and the word insurance. When you're in business it's pretty easy to find your contact info. I think you did the right thing too Bob.

:agree:

But it's just creepy to be telephoned out of the blue by someone you've never interacted with before - even if just virtually. I think you did the right thing. If the guy does show up, see if you can at least sell hime some insurance!

Dan McNally
11-24-2015, 01:01 PM
Two lurkers in two days! What are the odds? roflmao

Bob Denman
11-24-2015, 01:03 PM
:shocked: I think that this last guy, was definitely up to something... :D
It was a real pleasure talking with you! :thumbup:

ARtraveler
11-24-2015, 01:09 PM
I think you did the right thing Bob. Better to err on the side of caution these days. MN to your place seems like an oddball trip for being "out of the blue."

The couple people who have called me "out of the blue" using SL as a connection, had their own agendas. Needless to say, they did not become lasting friends.

cptjam
11-24-2015, 02:29 PM
People call me. I answer questions. I'm here to help. Never had a problem. Jmho, Joe

Chupaca
11-24-2015, 03:02 PM
Not hard to get your number but why the week question. :dontknow: he could get that info from anywhere. You did good. I would have told him to do a search or join to get all the views on the subject but send nothing.....:lecturef_smilie:

vided
11-24-2015, 03:10 PM
i just remembered, i once got a call that was obscene with heavy breathing and moaning, i had the police check my phone records and find out who it was because they never called back again, and i enjoyed it

I got a similar call, I yelled, honey, it's for you :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
11-24-2015, 03:31 PM
I got a similar call, I yelled, honey, it's for you :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

It must have been John... calling you back! :yikes: :roflblack:

vided
11-24-2015, 04:01 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=120215&stc=1

cuznjohn
11-24-2015, 04:09 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcModfyaknE

stillriding
11-24-2015, 04:10 PM
I've got nothing to hide, or to hide from; I'm just not sure about folks who haven't decided to sign up as a member.​It was probably Allstate wanting to recruit you!

Ron2andia
11-24-2015, 04:28 PM
You did the right thing for sure. Glad you thought it through!

robmorg
11-24-2015, 04:34 PM
Not hard to get your number but why the weak question. :dontknow: he could get that info from anywhere. You did good. That's exactly what I was thinking. The supposed reason he called was defiantly a bit on the odd side. You were wise to pull the plug on him.

Brentc
11-24-2015, 04:49 PM
I know what you mean about your instinct is to be a nice guy, but then like you say you gave it a little thought and in today's strange world. You have to sometimes step back and think the worst......

you our made the right call, but don't let it get you down.

Bob Denman
11-24-2015, 06:09 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=120215&stc=1

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=120224&stc=1

Ben Burped
11-24-2015, 06:12 PM
:shocked: By a lurker... :shocked:
Yesterday afternoon; I get a call in the office from someone with a question...
It turned out to be a lurker from in here...
He wasn't a member, and I'm not really sure what he was looking for, but he asked if there were any Places of Interest around where I live.
(He and his Wife were thinking about riding to here, from Minnesota...)
I told him that I'd send him some links to tourist info...
...And then I stopped!
I don't know this guy, and something just didn't seem right... :dontknow:

Has anyone else gotten a "Cold Call" from a lurker?

After thinking about it; I decided to NOT send anything. After all; I don't know him, and if this guy isn't willing to sign up and become a member in here; why should he reap any benefits?

Was I wrong? :shocked:

No, Bob. You were not wrong. You have been right sixty two thousand five hundred sixty one times. Congratulations!

Deanna777
11-24-2015, 07:40 PM
Bob,

You did the right thing, you just don't know these days.

Do you have caller ID on your phone?

Maybe have your home phone # unlisted.

Deanna

PW2013STL
11-24-2015, 08:40 PM
Well I was going to New York for a visit, but the guy I called for information never sent any - and he said he would :dontknow:

:joke::joke::joke::joke:

Cruzr Joe
11-24-2015, 09:01 PM
Well I was going to New York for a visit, but the guy I called for information never sent any - and he said he would :dontknow:

:joke::joke::joke::joke:

You know how those New Yorkers are. :lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smilie :

Anonymous