PDA

View Full Version : Frunk Gasket

rwc
11-23-2015, 03:34 PM
Does anyone have a tip on how to keep the Frunk (Really don't like t5hat term)Gasket in place when trying to take bag out. Mine comes off every time I touch it. This becomes frustrating when in a hurry.

Thanks RWC

Jim&Teresa
11-23-2015, 03:42 PM
I've used double stick tape at a few points around the gasket. It is not perfect, but does keep it from getting lightly bumped off. When doing this, make sure you press it all the way down and surfaces are clean in order for it to stick better.

It's a quick fix, my 2014 RT seems better than my 2012 RT for whatever reason!

Good luck! :thumbup:

jerpinoy
11-23-2015, 11:41 PM
Checkout some of adhesive glue use on boats.

Andy Cserny
11-24-2015, 12:41 AM
I have had extensive experience with marine glues/caulks and 3M 5200 has probably the highest adhesive properties, it is pricey, white, messy to use and in my experience it has been disappointing. Seam Grip used by the camping community is a good adhesive, dries clear and flexible, is available in camping goods stores. Like in all adhesive applications it is essential to clean both surfaces with alcohol, key the shiny plastic surface of the frunk with clean unused 80 grit sandpaper, wipe again with alcohol then apply the adhesive an leave it alone as per product labeling time to cure.
Andy

tobor9
11-24-2015, 01:20 AM
Spyderpop's got a frunk gasket that stays on REAL good!it is much better then BRP's,he is a sponser and has great products.:yes:

opiewhan
11-24-2015, 07:28 AM
Checkout some of adhesive glue use on boats.

Just remember if you glue it may be on for good..I just deal with putting the gasket back on each time for NOW..It is frustrating yes:banghead::banghead:

Grandpot
11-24-2015, 07:57 AM
I use RTV sealant. It holds well, but can be pulled off if you need to. Comes in Black or Clear.

armyspydervet
11-24-2015, 07:59 AM
Sounds like you have too much junk in your frunk!!!!:yes::yes::yes::joke::joke::joke::yes::ye s::yes:

lilluke
04-11-2016, 08:00 PM
I use RTV sealant. It holds well, but can be pulled off if you need to. Comes in Black or Clear.
Why would you want to take it off? Seriously?

Peter Aawen
04-11-2016, 08:53 PM
Why would you want to take it off? Seriously?

Some Spyders come with Frunk Liners that are fitted over the lip/edge of the frunk & secured in place by pressing the gasket down over them..... :shocked:

Tear the liner; get it wet or dirty; or just want it out of the way while you are connecting some wiring in there or even just changing a Fuse or even the battery..... :sour:

There are lots of reasons you might want to remove the Frunk Liner, & therefore probably even more reasons someone might want to remove the gasket! ;)

The Governor
04-12-2016, 10:00 PM
Spyderpop's got a frunk gasket that stays on REAL good!it is much better then BRP's,he is a sponser and has great products.:yes:

+1

rwc
04-13-2016, 03:19 PM
I used three pieces of two sided seamstress tape and so far it has worked. Thanks for all the input. Just another of the long list of modifications required for this very expensive toy that the manufacturer takes no pride in producing.

The Governor
04-13-2016, 10:19 PM
I used three pieces of two sided seamstress tape and so far it has worked. Thanks for all the input. Just another of the long list of modifications required for this very expensive toy that the manufacturer takes no pride in producing.

Ok, trying to bite my tongue, but can't do it and sleep.

I love the Spyder. I have been riding for almost 40 years, and it is my favorite bike. I have ridden dozens of different makes and models, in case that was a question bouncing around your head....

Now, to your comments..

First, the "Frunk" (which you pointed out how much you dislike that term?), but it's accurately called that since it is the trunk in front!
Second, It is not a gasket, it is a seal. That is also the accurate name.
Third, the reason it "pops off" when things rub against it is because it is a friction fit. Time and removal/reinstall stretch the clamping point, and make it weaker. The part is DESIGNED to be removed for cleaning and/or maintenance. Either re-squeeze it with duckbill pliers, or spend the 16 bucks every so often, and replace it. Multiple bike, auto, boat, RV, etc. manufacturers use the exact same design of seals.
Fourth, There are less "modifications" required on this machine than many others out there. There was a hell of a lot more things that were needed on the three BMW K1200LT's that I have owned than this bike. I wouldn't call seamstress tape a required modification. Parts wear out. Replace them.
Fifth, BRP takes great pride in their machines. So do I. So do the hundreds of thousands of owners. No product is without flaws or room for improvement. The reason I bought a Spyder over any other bike, is because I like TO RIDE, not spend endless hours in the shop, or fearing roadside breakdowns. She is very VERY dependable, stable, and comfortable. It is much more reliable than my Ferrari 308 was.....

Im sorry you have had such a horrible and devastating experience with your Spyder. I certainly invite you to apply for a job at BRP as an engineer to show all of those good for nothing pride-less morons how to build a toy that meets your standards- Or, just sell yours and end the suffering:D.

Yes, I get it, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But an opinion without proper information is about as useful as teets on a bull.:banghead:

I hope you see the humor in my response, and not a personal attack....

Peace-

lilluke
04-23-2016, 08:26 PM
Ok, trying to bite my tongue, but can't do it and sleep.

I love the Spyder. I have been riding for almost 40 years, and it is my favorite bike. I have ridden dozens of different makes and models, in case that was a question bouncing around your head....

Now, to your comments..

First, the "Frunk" (which you pointed out how much you dislike that term?), but it's accurately called that since it is the trunk in front!
Second, It is not a gasket, it is a seal. That is also the accurate name.
Third, the reason it "pops off" when things rub against it is because it is a friction fit. Time and removal/reinstall stretch the clamping point, and make it weaker. The part is DESIGNED to be removed for cleaning and/or maintenance. Either re-squeeze it with duckbill pliers, or spend the 16 bucks every so often, and replace it. Multiple bike, auto, boat, RV, etc. manufacturers use the exact same design of seals.
Fourth, There are less "modifications" required on this machine than many others out there. There was a hell of a lot more things that were needed on the three BMW K1200LT's that I have owned than this bike. I wouldn't call seamstress tape a required modification. Parts wear out. Replace them.
Fifth, BRP takes great pride in their machines. So do I. So do the hundreds of thousands of owners. No product is without flaws or room for improvement. The reason I bought a Spyder over any other bike, is because I like TO RIDE, not spend endless hours in the shop, or fearing roadside breakdowns. She is very VERY dependable, stable, and comfortable. It is much more reliable than my Ferrari 308 was.....

Im sorry you have had such a horrible and devastating experience with your Spyder. I certainly invite you to apply for a job at BRP as an engineer to show all of those good for nothing pride-less morons how to build a toy that meets your standards- Or, just sell yours and end the suffering:D.

Yes, I get it, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But an opinion without proper information is about as useful as teets on a bull.:banghead:

I hope you see the humor in my response, and not a personal attack....

Peace-

I just picked up my 2011 RT Limited from the seller (private) and the seal comes out. The Spyder has less than 2500 miles. So, seems strange that it happened so quickly. However, I can live with spending $16 to replace it.

What frightens me is that no one I've talked to in Colorado seems to be happy with the service they are getting for repairs. I have the extended warranty that transfers to me and is good to August 12 2016. I need to get it transferred but I'm worried about who to transfer to. Maybe Col. Springs. I haven't heard bad experiences with them, yet, even though they are about 1.5 hours more to drive.

But, that crummy service that I've heard about might be why people think BRP doesn't care. Just a thought. I do appreciate your comments.