PDA

View Full Version : RT Luggage as a Carry-on Bag

tehrlich
11-19-2015, 02:11 PM
I fly a lot. A lot. I've already flown over 100 segments just this calendar year.

I've worn out many carry on bags, and I thought I would give some of my findings and opinions for the RT frunk luggage.

It is small. Obviously,this is to fit into the frunk. Personally, I can get just enough in it to make for an overnight trip, or MAYBE a 2 night trip. With clothes, bathroom quart bag, and handouts/literature, I might be able to get a small pair of shoes in it. The problem is that if it gets stretched out too much, it doesn't go into the frunk. Careful folding of clothes allows more to fit, but I would never put a sport coat into it. The triangular shape of it makes the sport coat fold and wrinkle in too many places. With a traditional bag, I could work one in that does not require much ironing for the meeting later.

Construction is decent. The wheels are great! They roll as well as my very high-end carry on bags I've used. However, they look a little cambered. Maybe the axle is bent slightly. It will be interesting to see how this critical component lasts.

The outer wall construction is stiffer than it looks! This is good to keep things from getting smashed. It scratches kind of easily, but I like it.

The pull handle is thick and easy to maneuver. I've used bigger bags with smaller handles, so this is a plus. The frame and the handle as a combination are very stiff, so it is easy to pull and move around.

The top handle is wide, but the first time I pulled it out of the frunk it ripped towards the inside of the bag. It is still connected, but it no longer retracts in. I don't see it lasting many more pulls.

My biggest complaint, and I can't change physics, is that it has a hard time supporting my back pack and stay upright. It easily gets top-heavy and falls over. This is because the footprint of the bag is REALLY small for the shape of the frunk. So, I keep it propped up with the back pack on it.

So, I wouldn't use this as my primary travel carry-on bag, but those times I want to jet on over to the airport on the Spyder, it works well.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=120006&stc=1

Bob Denman
11-19-2015, 02:42 PM
Your assessment is pretty much right on the money! :clap: :thumbup:
I can get an extra day's worth of stuff in mine... but I'm a notoriously light packer, and I keep a separate medical/toiletries bag that never leaves my side...

oldguyinTX
11-20-2015, 09:52 AM
The top handle of my rolling bag tore completely off of one side. As it was OEM with my 2013 RTL, it was replaced under warranty. Never hurts to ask.

jaherbst
11-20-2015, 10:18 AM
These are not really built to "take a licken and keep on ticken". Also not as much space as most.

Jack

Chupaca
11-20-2015, 10:28 AM
:agree: were basically designed to go from your spyder to the hotel/motel and back. But from your assesment they hold up pretty well anyway. Minor repair and your good to go a few more rounds....:thumbup:

Deanna777
11-20-2015, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the update on the RT Luggage, I have a BRP backpack, and 2 Semi- Rear side cargo travel bags that I used when I went to Spyderquest, in Lake George, New York in Sept. the backpack/ and the 2 Semi-Rear side cargo bags were over filled. I had no problems. Deanna

robmorg
11-20-2015, 12:23 PM
The top handle of my rolling bag tore completely off of one side. As it was OEM with my 2013 RTL, it was replaced under warranty. Never hurts to ask.Same thing happened to my bag. I never thought of filing a warranty claim. Thanks for the tip! :thumbup:

You'd think they would make those handle attachments a little stronger. This is a case of designers not using the stuff they design, I think. :sour:

ARtraveler
11-20-2015, 03:26 PM
I have been using the roller bag for my school books/papers for my nightly excursions to the University. This is the original bag from the full set of luggage that I purchased for my 2010 RT. Still works well for me.

Thought about using it on a plane a couple times, but the carry on I have is just a bit bigger.

Centurion.TX
11-22-2015, 04:24 PM
I use a Pelican 1510 as a carry on case and just use 3 bunji cords to secure it to the back seat on my RT-S. Works like a charm and if it falls off it will take the impact with zero issues. Travel briefcase or backpack actually then fits in the frunk.

tehrlich
11-22-2015, 11:08 PM
I use a Pelican 1510 as a carry on case and just use 3 bunji cords to secure it to the back seat on my RT-S. Works like a charm and if it falls off it will take the impact with zero issues. Travel briefcase or backpack actually then fits in the frunk.
Great idea!