PDA

View Full Version : A very expensive tire fix...

BamaJohn
11-16-2015, 02:31 PM
I just fixed the tire problem on my 2013 ST-Limited, but it cost me a bunch of money, so I thought it might be good to warn the rest of you Spyder-Riders!
After buying my ST pre-owned, the front tires were dancing a jig and cupping badly. I replaced them with another set of Kenda's original equipment tires, only to find that these too were dancing a jig. Since I'd earlier had the front end checked out at a dealer, and it was pronounced "OK", I had the tires balanced a second time in 1000 miles. They were pronounced to be "perfectly-balanced", yet the tires STILL danced a jig :banghead:

But then I hit on the solution: after a test ride on an F3, the next saturday I traded for a 2015 F3-S, and guess what???? No tires dancing a jig!! (and I like the F3 a LOT)
But to repeat myself, it cost me a bunch of money to fix those tires....the difference in price between the ST and the F3 ;)

JB

Thump
11-16-2015, 02:38 PM
I like your solution
Congratulations!

Bob Denman
11-16-2015, 02:42 PM
:congrats: on the new ride... you'll love it!
But I wonder if your ST just needed a laser-alignment from someone who knew what they were doing? :dontknow:
1330club

ARtraveler
11-16-2015, 02:47 PM
Also thinking a laser alignment from someone who knows how. My last "dealer" alignment royally screwed up the alignment and I had it corrected by someone who knew how.

You solution is not bad though. We have had some who changed them out when they got dirty, similar to mine at the moment. :roflblack::roflblack:

EDIT: you mention below that Lamonster checked out your bike. He is one that for sure "knows." You must have had an issue with tires or worse. But...you solved your problem as posted.

BikerDoc
11-16-2015, 02:58 PM
I just fixed the tire problem on my 2013 ST-Limited, but it cost me a bunch of money, so I thought it might be good to warn the rest of you Spyder-Riders!
After buying my ST pre-owned, the front tires were dancing a jig and cupping badly. I replaced them with another set of Kenda's original equipment tires, only to find that these too were dancing a jig. Since I'd earlier had the front end checked out at a dealer, and it was pronounced "OK", I had the tires balanced a second time in 1000 miles. They were pronounced to be "perfectly-balanced", yet the tires STILL danced a jig :banghead:

But then I hit on the solution: after a test ride on an F3, the next saturday I traded for a 2015 F3-S, and guess what???? No tires dancing a jig!! (and I like the F3 a LOT)
But to repeat myself, it cost me a bunch of money to fix those tires....the difference in price between the ST and the F3 ;)

JBWell worth the money spent

jcthorne
11-16-2015, 02:59 PM
[QUOTE=akspyderman;1061188]Also thinking a laser alignment from someone who knows how. My last "dealer" alignment royally screwed up the alignment and I had it corrected by someone who knew how.

/QUOTE]

Agree, have had to 'fix' a few of those already.

Bob Denman
11-16-2015, 03:00 PM
:D I think that this was the equivalent of trading in a car because the floor mats were dirty...
I can dig it! :2thumbs:

Synthetic
11-16-2015, 03:00 PM
I love a story with a good ending!

2ndChildhood
11-16-2015, 03:25 PM
My 2012 RTL had 23,000 miles on it and needed a new air filter. Have you ever tried to change a filter? So I took the easy way out I traded it in on a 2015 RT-SS

ToM
Life is Great
Be Safe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bob Denman
11-16-2015, 03:41 PM
My Missus needed a new kidney... nojoke

Relax :shocked:... We found her some new guts, and she's still here! :thumbup:

(January 23rd, 2006...)

pegasus1300
11-16-2015, 03:41 PM
I did something like that once. I bought a Harmonica for $6000.00 but I did get a free Jeep Grand Cherokee.

BTW congrats on the new F3

BamaJohn
11-16-2015, 05:32 PM
:congrats: on the new ride... you'll love it!
But I wonder if your ST just needed a laser-alignment from someone who knew what they were doing? :dontknow:
1330club
Just had Lamont do it...it helped relieve twitchiness, but not the tires...which is what pushed me to my decision. 😎

Spyderhulk
11-16-2015, 07:45 PM
Can some one explain to me why these new bike need a laser alignment?? Shouldn't this be done at the dealer before they sell it?? They are charging a pretty penny for these bikes..

Thanks

Synthetic
11-16-2015, 09:02 PM
Can some one explain to me why these new bike need a laser alignment?? Shouldn't this be done at the dealer before they sell it?? They are charging a pretty penny for these bikes..

Thanks

I don't know for sure but I'd guess the factory does not use a laser alignment system but a mechanical system which I think would have more variances.

I can tell you this though....mine was almost brand new and when Jacob at Lamonster Garage checked it using the laser alignment system it was way off....

And man did it make a huge difference.....

Samir221
11-16-2015, 09:34 PM
Good problem solving!!! Congrats!! :clap:

Chupaca
11-16-2015, 10:39 PM
on the new ryde...:2thumbs: bet your having a blast and glad you didn't dig any further on the 13's issue. If you had you would have found the problem and not be on a brand new syder...1330 ACE engine with the 6 Speed tranny...:yes::yes:

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
11-17-2015, 10:06 AM
whenever i run into problems like that for customers i do a road force verification & balance to find out what the problem is and
then eliminate it.

jcthorne
11-17-2015, 10:59 AM

Thanks

Perhaps they 'should' but they don't and very few dealers have the tools to do so. A very high percentage of all spyders sold have incorrect alignment setting. (except those few sold by dealers that have made the investment for laser alignment tools).

If your bike has not been properly aligned, you would likely be very pleased with the end result of this upgrade.

blacklightning
11-17-2015, 01:34 PM
I did something like that about 12 years ago. The water pump started to leak on my 1994 cobra. While it was in there, I changed out all the suspension, new heads, intake, cam, nitrous kit, etc.. When I got the car back after about 8 weeks, the wife said it sounded different:yes:;).

BamaJohn
11-18-2015, 02:33 PM
I did something like that about 12 years ago. The water pump started to leak on my 1994 cobra. While it was in there, I changed out all the suspension, new heads, intake, cam, nitrous kit, etc.. When I got the car back after about 8 weeks, the wife said it sounded different:yes:;).

LOVE IT!! Seems a lot of us like a good tongue-in-cheek kind of story with a good ending! :bowdown::clap:
JB

Bob Denman
11-18-2015, 02:38 PM

:D Love it!!! :clap:
Back in 2009; I took my Yamaha Grizzly 660 to the shop for them to change a front wheel bearing...
Somehow; it came home with a Raptor "bumpstick" in the top-end, and a new 686 kit! :ohyea:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=119967&stc=1

Devious56
11-18-2015, 05:48 PM
Perhaps they 'should' but they don't and very few dealers have the tools to do so. A very high percentage of all spyders sold have incorrect alignment setting. (except those few sold by dealers that have made the investment for laser alignment tools).

If your bike has not been properly aligned, you would likely be very pleased with the end result of this upgrade.

Shortly after getting my new 2015 RT Limited, I learned about the laser alignment, and asked my dealer about it. I was told that they didn't know anything about it, so I called mike at Spyder Comfort in Edgewater Florida and he said sure, come on down. So, after a 100 mile ride, I can honestly say, the ride home was much nicer. Shortly after that I went back to the dealership and talked to the service manager, and he told me they had the laser alignment system but he didn't think it was worth the trouble and that they had never taken it out of the box.

Needless to say, I'm very concerned about my first service coming up soon.

David

Spyderhulk
11-18-2015, 07:51 PM
Is there a way to know if the dealer did the laser alignment? Now a days I just don't trust anyone.. Dealers tend to lie a lot just to get people business..

Bike-O-Din
11-18-2015, 09:53 PM
Interesting solution. That is how I got my RT-S as well. I took my Honda ST-1300 in to have tires put on, and while I was waiting, I went into the showroom and looked at the Spyders. The dealer invited me to take a test drive, and...............

Never put 1 mile on the ST-1300 new tires, and have never looked back.

;););)