PDA

View Full Version : big shooting in paris

cuznjohn
11-13-2015, 04:53 PM
if your a news hound like i am, turn on your news station. numerous shootings and explosions going on in Paris

vided
11-13-2015, 04:54 PM
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34814203

and it gets worst by the minute

WilMo1775
11-13-2015, 05:04 PM
if your a news hound like i am, turn on your news station. numerous shootings and explosions going on in Paris

26 Dead at this time

mowin
11-13-2015, 06:07 PM
Our fearless leader was quick to point out it was terrorism, but took forever for the "T" word to be used in the Boston marathon bombing.

Bob Denman
11-13-2015, 06:14 PM
Our thoughts and prayers should be focused on all of the innocent victims... :pray::pray:

WilMo1775
11-13-2015, 07:27 PM
now reports of 100+ dead at concert hall alone :mad::mad:

cuznjohn
11-13-2015, 07:47 PM
i hate to say this, well not really hate, but countries need to start profiling people. if you have nothing to hide, there is nothing to worry about

ARtraveler
11-13-2015, 09:24 PM
An ongoing story for sure. 160 plus dead. Many incidents. France went to Emergency Status (Martial Law) within an hour. I will keep the politics out of it.

Netminder
11-13-2015, 10:48 PM
:pray::pray: Prayers to the people of Paris! Terrible and I to will leave politics out of it.

cuznjohn
11-13-2015, 10:54 PM
lucky for us isis is under control

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3317776/Paris-attack-sees-150-dead-Eagles-Death-Metal-concert-hostages-killed.html#article-3317776

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-14-2015, 12:59 AM
This week's episode 5 of THE BRAIN WITH DAVID EAGLEMAN, (http://video.pbs.org/program/brain-david-eagleman/)Why Do I Need You?, on PBS, http://video.pbs.org/video/2365600519/, is right on point with issues like this. He discusses how the brain needs societal connections and interactions and how people group together to either support those they feel are like them and accept them or oppress and destroy those who are not "one of them". We like those who make us feel good and dislike those who make us feel bad. The entire series is really interesting and a bit disquieting in discussing how our brains get programmed by life beginning with birth, and how that programming affects and controls our behavior. Because Islamist radicals feel rejected by the West it is not at all surprising they are perpetrating violence like we see today.

wyliec
11-14-2015, 08:44 AM
This week's episode 5 of THE BRAIN WITH DAVID EAGLEMAN, (http://video.pbs.org/program/brain-david-eagleman/)Why Do I Need You?, on PBS, http://video.pbs.org/video/2365600519/, is right on point with issues like this. He discusses how the brain needs societal connections and interactions and how people group together to either support those they feel are like them and accept them or oppress and destroy those who are not "one of them". We like those who make us feel good and dislike those who make us feel bad. The entire series is really interesting and a bit disquieting in discussing how our brains get programmed by life beginning with birth, and how that programming affects and controls our behavior. Because Islamist radicals feel rejected by the West it is not at all surprising they are perpetrating violence like we see today.

I'm not trying to make light of what you said; but, you can use the same assessment with spyderlovers.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
11-14-2015, 08:48 AM
what we need are more countries putting their troops & money in the fight. russia & france will step up now but what about saudi arabia,
turkey & other muslim countries. china will not until it affects them.

Chupaca
11-14-2015, 10:01 AM
My thoughts and :pray:'s to the innocent victems and their families of which we have there not far from where this has happened. But one should beware for France is overrun and England not far behind. We are falling into this same possible scenario....:dontknow: just what I see....

Bob Denman
11-14-2015, 12:42 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ26DMkMFks&feature=player_detailpage

FieldTester
11-14-2015, 12:53 PM
Su'ks, one of my son's is on his 4th tour stationed not so far away. He has already done the Iraq and Afghanistan clusters, and now it seems its a never ending cycle.

Hate to say what is needed so I won't !!

Omcge
11-14-2015, 01:07 PM
My thoughts and :pray:'s to the innocent victems and their families of which we have there not far from where this has happened. But one should beware for France is overrun and England not far behind. We are falling into this same possible scenario....:dontknow: just what I see....

They're Hereeeeeeeeeeeee.
http://powderedwigsociety.com/first-syrian-refugees-arrive-in-new-orleans/#

Orange Spyder Man
11-14-2015, 07:14 PM
this is what happens when a country opens its borders to everyone... crazy radicals think its ok to kill people in the name of their "supposedly god"..

USA BETTER WAKE UP & TAKE NOTICE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

osm

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-14-2015, 11:26 PM
I'm not trying to make light of what you said; but, you can use the same assessment with spyderlovers.
I agree, you can. That's why the program was so interesting. It is very, very, easy to fall into an "us against them" mindset. Eagleman talked to a couple of guys who were in elementary school when MLK was assassinated. A day or two after MLK was killed the teacher conducted an experiment. She told all the kids that brown eyed kids were not as good as blue eyed kids, and she separated them between the front and back of the room. I think she fed them some more lines, i.e., propaganda. The result was the blue eyed kids became downright nasty toward the brown eyed ones. The next day she told them she made a mistake. The blue eyed ones were not as good as the brown eyed ones. Immediately the roles reversed. The third day she told the kids it was all a lie, that she just wanted them to understand how prejudice, regardless of the basis, made people act toward each other. One of the guys, who has blue eyes, told Eagleman the day he was part of the "better" group he was the perfect blond haired blue eyed Nazi. It was for no other reason than the color of eyes, but it was reinforced by the societal connection with the other blue eyed kids.

Eagleman was making the point that our brains require social connections to function properly, and those social connections will cause us to act as part of the group that makes us feel good. Earlier in the program he showed how, when we observe someone whom we identify as "good", is being subjected to pain our brain has all kinds of neurological response. If we see someone whom we think of as "bad" being subjected to pain, our brain has very little reaction. Interestingly we saw that right here just a few days ago when cuznjohn linked to the video of the Islamist radical getting blown away. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?87826-should-we-feel-bad-for-this-person None of us who commented expressed any hurt or pain at all. That is because we regard the Islamist terrorist as bad, which they are to us because they want to kill us.

It's been that way for millennia. English against the Scots. Romans against the Christians. Nazis against the Jews. Russians against the Ukrainians. Japanese against the Americans. And now, the radical Muslims against the West. What we are seeing in the Middle East is a banding together of radicals who feel they are treated as "lesser" people, but within their own group they are made to feel important, to feel good. That has developed into an extremely intense "us against them" feeling. I don't know if there is a solution other than annihilation of enough of them that the remaining ones will finally be open to receiving vibes from the West that they are valued as human beings. It's worked that way with virtually every conflict of one group with another, with the Japanese in World War II and after, and more recently with Americans and North Vietnamese.

Interestingly, there is another cultural complication lending to the conflicts caused by attitude. At least I think it may be the case. A few weeks ago a gentleman spoke to our Lions club about English language based schools he organized in foreign countries, mostly for the benefit of American and European children in those countries. He started in Yemen, and had very good relationships there for a long time. But after the past few years of conflicts the school has been closed. He related an experience of traveling across the desert with an Arab guide and driver. They stopped at the tent home of a Bedouin I believe it was. He asked why this man's family was having a battle with another Arab family. Why didn't they just show a little love to each other and make amends. The response, "To show love is to show weakness." That phrase strikes me as being one of the fundamental causes of the Middle East conflict. All they seem to understand is force. To not show force is to show weakness. Apparently, to me anyway, there is no understanding of the Western or Christian concept that to show restraint is to demonstrate strength, that it takes a stronger person to walk away from a fight than it does to fight. It's no wonder then, that there is conflict over there between our values, and their values.

JerryB
11-15-2015, 12:44 AM
Hi WasWinger,

Re: It's been that way for millennia.

Excellent post; I agree. Reminds me of: The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

In Rick Atkinson's book, An Army at Dawn ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Army_at_Dawn ) he says that the American fighting forces were not effective in North Africa ( their first ground combat with the German Nazi Army ) until they learned to hate the Germans. They had to get to that point in their minds to be successful in combat.

Very interesting stuff; thanks for posting,

Jerry Baumchen

Mexican
11-15-2015, 01:20 PM
i hate to say this, well not really hate, but countries need to start profiling people.
I never tought i would say this but,,,, you are correct, it is kinda hard to see a middle esatern dressed person and not automatically think Muslim, the only problem is,,, how do you determine if he is a normal person or an extremist?

ARtraveler
11-15-2015, 07:07 PM
This just in...

PARIS (AP) — France launched "massive" air strikes on the Islamic State group's de-facto capital in Syria Sunday night, destroying a jihadi training camp and a munitions dump in the city of Raqqa, where Iraqi intelligence officials say the attacks on Paris were planned.

Twelve aircraft including 10 fighter jets dropped a total of 20 bombs in the biggest air strikes since France extended its bombing campaign against the extremist group to Syria in September, a Defense Ministry statement said. The jets launched from sites in Jordan and the Persian Gulf, in coordination with U.S. forces.

Bob Denman
11-19-2015, 10:18 AM
Confirmation... :yes::yes::yes:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/french-lawmakers-debate-extending-state-of-emergency/2015/11/19/bf3a1f9e-8e41-11e5-934c-a369c80822c2_story.html

grumpybob
11-19-2015, 03:34 PM
I had to learn to hate the Vietnamese, & learn to think of them as animals. It was a different story once a couple of my friends were killed.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
11-19-2015, 04:27 PM
eternal vigilance is the price of freedom

Bfromla
11-19-2015, 08:45 PM
When we gonna have some
RADICAL AMERICANS?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk