PDA

View Full Version : The RT in high winds.

Rocketman 2012
11-12-2015, 11:32 AM
I have a question that I would appreciate opinions on: In high winds, is the RT adversely affected and if so, how does it manifest itself?

Having never owned a Spyder but having owned 79 motorcycle/ scooters spanning 53 years of street (And dirt) riding, I have had some bikes affected more than others so I wonder what happens on an RT?

Yesterday, in SW Missouri, the wind was SOOOOO bad that at times it was hard just to stand up, more less to ride!

Thanks!

Sam;)

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-12-2015, 11:45 AM
Well the larger the object the more it's going to be effected by the wind unless the weight is increased commensurately........I have been in high wind conditions on both Two wheel Mtc's and now an RT.......Because the Spyder is much more stable to begin with I think I notice it less because it 's easier to control.....jmho..Mike :thumbup:

manxman
11-12-2015, 11:46 AM
I have a question that I would appreciate opinions on: In high winds, is the RT adversely affected and if so, how does it manifest itself?

Having never owned a Spyder but having owned 79 motorcycle/ scooters spanning 53 years of street (And dirt) riding, I have had some bikes affected more than others so I wonder what happens on an RT?

Yesterday, in SW Missouri, the wind was SOOOOO bad that at times it was hard just to stand up, more less to ride!

Thanks!

Sam;)

Yesterday the winds here in No. west Indiana were 35-40 mph and I was riding RT with the winds blowing from the side, the machines handled very good. With the new sway bar.The only other machine I had that was good in xwinds was the Goldwing./...

kngfsh27
11-12-2015, 11:46 AM
If the wind is steady, I don't really notice it. If it is gusting like it was yesterday, you will get moved around. Even a different sway bar would not have helped. We had gusts up close to 60 mph here in Lee's Summit. The Spyder stayed in the garage. At least it has calmed down some today.

cognaccruiser
11-12-2015, 11:56 AM
I guess my first question would be, what is your definition of "high winds" ? I've seen comments on here by some people finding the Spyder hard to control but many others saying it was better than 2 wheels. It also will be dictated by your level of experience with a Spyder.
My personal opinion is that the Spyder is easier to handle than a 2 wheeler in strong side winds. Having had some big bikes like an 05 Midnight Venture and a 12 Goldwing, I have endured some pretty tough sidewinds that I would rather be on a Spyder
The Spyder will handle the wind better if you don't fight the wind. Folks that are new to Spyders tend to over grip and fight the push you will feel on a Spyder. Many, myself included, have installed BajaRon sway bars on their Spyders and that improves handling in the wind along with normal riding conditions.
If you are considering a Spyder Rt, don't let the thought of riding in the wind stop you.

Gary

Rocketman 2012
11-12-2015, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the answers Folks!

My last Goldwing was a new 2012 and it really wasn't affected much at all.

In SW Missouri, 99% of our storms and winds come diagonally from the Southwest blowing Northeast and seems to hit the rider at a 45 degree angle, so it can be disconcerting.

When one lives in "Tornado alley," high winds need no explanation;)

Sam :yes:

Bob Denman
11-12-2015, 12:17 PM
I will normally drop the windshield to it's lowest possible position, if I'm encountering strong crosswinds. I think that it reduces the "sail effect"... :thumbup:
But I've never had my RTs moved around all that much on the road anyway! :D
I'd say that it's good to be aware of what the winds are like; but it's not something to lose any sleep over.

MouthPiece
11-12-2015, 12:57 PM
Imagine riding your motorcycle with your front house door in front.

Chris

Bob Denman
11-12-2015, 01:03 PM
Imagine riding your motorcycle with your front house door in front.
Chris

When that happens to me; I call it "crashing"! :yikes:

PaladinLV
11-12-2015, 01:06 PM
Up to about 45mph winds (and direction plays a major part) for me, high wind on the RT is no worse then when I rode an Electra Glide.
If I know in advance winds/gusts are going to get above 45 I refrain from riding.

AJ

Thanks!

Sam;)

BajaRon
11-12-2015, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the answers Folks!

My last Goldwing was a new 2012 and it really wasn't affected much at all.

In SW Missouri, 99% of our storms and winds come diagonally from the Southwest blowing Northeast and seems to hit the rider at a 45 degree angle, so it can be disconcerting.

When one lives in "Tornado alley," high winds need no explanation;)

Sam :yes:

I'd say the Spyder will handle about the same as any other vehicle in a Tornado! :yikes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw_l8FnyhUU

ARtraveler
11-12-2015, 01:49 PM
I'd say the Spyder will handle about the same as any other vehicle in a Tornado! :yikes:

That would have been a scary ride. :yikes:

ARtraveler
11-12-2015, 01:53 PM
I have found the :spyder2: to be much more stable in wind than compared to two wheels. Heavy side winds result in having to control the :ani29: more than usual. Rear winds are nice--they give improved gas mileage. Head winds make the :spyder2: use a bit more gas.

I would not be heading out on a day where the winds are gusting 50+, but would not be afraid to drive in it if I had to.

pitzerwm
11-12-2015, 06:13 PM
What I have found is that the Spyder handles fine, its you that gets blown all over the place and makes the ride less enjoyable.

latony007
11-12-2015, 06:27 PM
i agree it handles better in winds that 2 wheels. Of course my 2 wheels is pretty light at just over 400 lbs. For weather conditions what i really love about the spyder is rain, never worry about dumping a spyder if its raining like 2 wheels.

Bob Denman
11-12-2015, 06:28 PM
:agree: That's why tucking your knees in against the tank, will often help a whole lot! :thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
11-12-2015, 06:29 PM
I actually kind of enjoy riding in high winds, I find dodging tumbleweed and handling big gusts of wind exhilarating. Never had it be so windy that I wouldn't ride and we get some real honking winds out here.

Pampurrs
11-12-2015, 06:36 PM
Handles it better than any of the two wheel motorcycles I've ridden.

Pam

JayBros
11-12-2015, 06:42 PM
My RT with a BajaRon sway bar tracks like an arrow shot from a crossbow in any wind conditions.

Tazzel
11-12-2015, 06:55 PM
If you purchase an RT I would see what you think at stock in high winds. If you find you need some support, I would install the swaybar. Then go with better shocks.

When I went to the Spyders owners event with a group of Spyder riders and a couple of Harleys in the mix we encountered high winds. The Harleys had to stop and rest because they were exhausted dealing with it after a couple of hours. The Spyder riders had no issues not that we did not feel it or that it was not having some effect on the Spyder, just that we did not have to expend as much energy.

finless
11-12-2015, 07:21 PM
I was in 40 MPH gusty winds coming out of Palm Springs.
Yes it freaks you out until you realize your not going to die ;)
You buffet around A LOT!
But after a few miles you realize it's just that... a lot of buffeting.... You soon realize your not going to loose control, relax, and ride through it.
Actually the Spyder does well from a control perspective e.g. it stays on track really well. I have been in cars where a gust almost pushed you out of your lane but that did not happen on the Spyder at all. So again it tracks well you just wiggle around a lot.

Bob

PrairieSpyder
11-12-2015, 07:21 PM
Our winds yesterday were 35 mph with gusts of 56 mph. I didn't ryde, though. But in my experience in a cross-wind you just have to stay in control of the handlebars, whereas on two wheels you'd just lean more. I think the Baja Ron bar helps some in gusty conditions, or when you get the effects from passing a semi, or from passing through cuts in the hills. It will wear you out sooner, though.

M109Dreamer
11-12-2015, 08:30 PM

The question I have is what pilot would think that is a good idea?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

4 MARIE
11-12-2015, 11:34 PM
[. For weather conditions what i really love about the spyder is rain, never worry about dumping a spyder if its raining like 2 wheels.[/QUOTE]

You may not "dump it" but it will hydroplane and can be thrown away. I got caught in a storm that turned to hail.
Like riding on BBs. Amazing what a concrete culvert will do to your Spyder. I did walk away.

BajaRon
11-12-2015, 11:42 PM
The question I have is what pilot would think that is a good idea?

I don't know if there was a lot of money offered or what. But it appears that possibly a camera man was ejected first and then maybe the pilot. It appears that 2 people bailed or got thrown out. I think the 2nd person was hit with the main rotor and that is when it collapsed.

Really a bad idea before they even got off the ground. They should have stayed home. Boggles the mind.

These kinds of people are referred to as 'Job Security' in the emergency response business.

M109Dreamer
11-12-2015, 11:43 PM
I don't know if there was a lot of money offered or what. But it appears that possibly a camera man was ejected first and then maybe the pilot. It appears that 2 people bailed or got thrown out. I think the 2nd person was hit with the main rotor and that is when it collapsed.

Really a bad idea before they even got off the ground. They should have stayed home. Boggles the mind.

These kinds of people are referred to as 'Job Security' in the emergency response business.
Yep, I didnt see where the location was that it happened at?

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-13-2015, 01:17 AM

There is a high probability the video is fake. Apparently there are no corroborating news stories on mainstream media anywhere. This one video is it. One comment is the tornado is shown spinning in the wrong direction. To me there simply is not enough debris floating in the air to look real.

Bfromla
11-13-2015, 02:57 AM
The sypder should ride fine per you being experienced rider. Fyi the worst in wind ride i had was on HD V-rod. Solid rims were like wind sales on a sail boat. Steady 30mph sideways wind & I was able to lean into it & stay straight. The group spread out to give each other room to handle their own. Dont care to try again thank you steady spyder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Denman
11-13-2015, 07:53 AM
Handles it better than any of the two wheel motorcycles I've ridden.

Pam

I'll second that!! :thumbup:

Scotts8826
11-13-2015, 03:22 PM
One time I was racing a rain storm home. I was on a state highway going about 70 miles per hour on cruise control. Wind gusts would hit me and force the Spyder speed down 2-3 miles an hour. The bike always stayed true and I had no worries but the force of the wind being able to push down my speed was interesting.

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-13-2015, 05:12 PM
One time I was racing a rain storm home. I was on a state highway going about 70 miles per hour on cruise control. Wind gusts would hit me and force the Spyder speed down 2-3 miles an hour. The bike always stayed true and I had no worries but the force of the wind being able to push down my speed was interesting.
Coming home from Spyderfest last May while I was on I84 from Twin Falls to Boise the headwind was so strong I couldn't get above 70 in 4th gear. Couldn't run in 5th at all. I did get pushed around some but nothing like I remember what it was like on my Goldwing in similar winds.

Spyder Oz
11-22-2015, 07:18 PM

Thanks!

Sam;)

G'day from Down Under Sam, My wife has just bought an RT and we went for a ride last weekend. It was so windy I reckon I saw a chicken lay the same egg twice! We were getting moved across the road 2-3 feet with gusts. The road was off camber so I guess that wasn't helping at all but when we got on smooth highway surface with a similar wind it wasn't so bad. I'm used to a HD Softail so it was a bit un-merging but at least with the Spyder you get to sit up straight. Cheers, Shane.

Bob Denman
11-23-2015, 07:52 AM
Cruise control at 70 mph in high winds and rain... :shocked:
That is a recipe that rarely comes out well.

BajaRon
11-23-2015, 07:57 AM
There is a high probability the video is fake. Apparently there are no corroborating news stories on mainstream media anywhere. This one video is it. One comment is the tornado is shown spinning in the wrong direction. To me there simply is not enough debris floating in the air to look real.

I think you may have a good point!