PDA

View Full Version : Getting cold - How do you enjoy riding in the chilly weather?

Tracey@Leader
11-12-2015, 11:19 AM
So its cold here in Minnesota!! But I am not ready to stop riding!!! Have put together some tips for how to enjoy the chilly weather. Would love to hear yours!

http://www.leadermotorcycle.com/blog/the-secret-to-enjoying-cold-weather-rides/

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=119653&stc=1

ARtraveler
11-12-2015, 02:29 PM
Good advice above. A stocking cap inside the helmet and a neck balaclava are both part of my winter wardrobe.

Used to live in Duluth, and I actually rode one time in 20 below zero--in the 60's. Not much special winter riding gear then. :roflblack::roflblack:

Now down to 15 above and I have reached my fun quotient. Black ice is a serious issue here, so I park it once its here. All done now until March or so.

Bob Denman
11-12-2015, 02:37 PM
:agree: Wind Chill is what causes the most trouble...
Look to the snowmobile apparel industry, for the outerwear that'll be most effective in keeping it's effects from parking your bike! nojoke
Drink lots of warm fluids... If you're warm on the inside; that goes a long way toward making you feel more ready for the temperatures that you'll encounter.

Saluda
11-12-2015, 03:32 PM
Snowmobile base and mid layers are also great, light and they wick.

Salt on the roads and I'm done riding.

Bob Denman
11-12-2015, 03:35 PM
:agree: That's when I park the bike also...

MikeT
11-12-2015, 03:50 PM
All done now until March or so.

Sadly, :agree:

Fatcycledaddy
11-12-2015, 03:57 PM
First gear heated jacket liner under leather jacket, heated pants liner under fleece lined jeans, (first gear purchased from Bajaron), a headslick helmet liner under full face helmet, toe warmers in the boots, good gloves, and heated hand grips and cold weather doesn't bother me much.

I stop riding when they are putting salt on the roads, to hard to clean out all the cracks and crevices. I do not want rust and corrosion any my :spyder2:

Chupaca
11-12-2015, 04:17 PM
Whatever you all say....:joke: hope its a mild one.....

latony007
11-12-2015, 05:05 PM
i hate it, so i live in California, however whenever it drops to around 60 i start using the same gear you guys would in 30 degrees :roflblack:

KJWEB
11-12-2015, 05:17 PM
I bought heated gear two years ago and have worn it one time. If I have to "wire-up" to go ride, I'm sitting my butt next to the fire place.

Pampurrs
11-12-2015, 05:26 PM
The definition of "Chilly Weather" is a bit different here in the Valley of the Sun. In November-February our early morning temperatures can be between 30 and 50 degrees. So we wear our thick gloves, face masks, neck gators, and layers of clothing topped with heavy jackets.

Saddlebags are a must here. By noon we are removing jackets and peeling off layer after layer of clothing. It's not uncommon to leave the house dressed for an arctic expedition, and returning home in a tank top. I love winters in Arizona! :dg2:

Pam

Bfromla
11-12-2015, 05:29 PM
Layers ,comfortable layers. I dont have to worry about temps like -20 often but I can always layer to get warm (safer too) cant do crap to cool off:p:gaah:. Found using hot hands heat packs tucked close to veins on wrist or armpit arterys (ace bandage wrap or tape)can keep core & fingers warm enough go get my travels done. I have more problems with drivers with crummy defrosters cant see out windshield but try driving anyway. :shemademe_smilie::lecturef_smilie::banghead: Personally

jaherbst
11-12-2015, 06:13 PM
When I was "doing time" in MSP we rode year around with a full array of snowmobile clothes. Suit, gloves,boots and mask. It was actually quite comfortable. My Yamaha snowmobiles would do 70-75 and that's what we rode the motorcycles at. Warm on either one.

Roads had to be clear of course and salt had to be washed if any. The biggest problem was at the time the incredible vibration from my Triumph Trident. It was hard mounted to the frame. No rubber mounts. Felt like squirrels were nibbling on your hands for a half day after you rode the beast.

Jack

Bob Denman
11-12-2015, 06:42 PM
How cold is it?

At 60 degrees: Californians start putting on sweaters.
At 50 degrees: Floridians already have two blankets on the bed.
At 40 degrees: Michiganders go swimming.
At 30 degrees: British cars refuse to start
At 20 degrees: Canadians shovel off the lawn chairs, and have a pool party.
At 10 degrees: Alaskans will finally put on a Tee-Shirt, when going outside to relieve themselves.
At 0 degrees: Korean cars refuse to start.
At -10 degrees: Canadians play football outdoors.
At -20 degrees: Californians have moved to Hawaii.
At -30 degrees: Alaskans will close the bathroom window.
At -40 degrees: German cars refuse to start.
At -50 degrees: Tennessee moonshine doubles in price.
At -60 degrees: Floridians have moved to California.
At -70 degrees: Canadians dry their laundry indoors.
At -80 degrees: Polar Bears start wishing for some global warming.
At -90 degrees: Politicians start putting their hands into their own pockets.

SPYDERGUY1
11-12-2015, 09:28 PM
Push the button for the garage door, put the key into the ignition and start it up , back out the garage and turn the heater on with the window cracked a smidge, am talking about the truck in the heated garage. Spyder is in hibernation now till probably march or later in this country. Unfortunately ....

Saluda
11-12-2015, 10:01 PM
When I was "doing time" in MSP we rode year around with a full array of snowmobile clothes. Suit, gloves,boots and mask. It was actually quite comfortable. My Yamaha snowmobiles would do 70-75 and that's what we rode the motorcycles at. Warm on either one.

Jack

It's amazing how good and how far snowmobile gear has come. Of course with that development has come increases in cost. Sometimes people find it hard to believe we ride in the temperatures we do going at the speeds (legal give or take 5) we do. Of course the windshield helps but we are very comfortable for long periods at a time.

JkRbbt
11-12-2015, 11:24 PM
One year, while residing in northern Il near the WS border, some of us decided we would ride every month for a year. I think it was single digits in Dec. Chilly, but had gear from my time in AK. Some of the local riders were not so equipped and didn't enjoy the experience as much. Anyhow, checked the square, got the tee shirt, don't have to do that any more! :)

Tracey@Leader
11-13-2015, 10:40 AM
Snowmobile base and mid layers are also great, light and they wick.

:agree: That's when I park the bike also...

Agreed! No good for the bike!

Tracey@Leader
11-13-2015, 10:42 AM
How cold is it?

At 60 degrees: Californians start putting on sweaters.
At 50 degrees: Floridians already have two blankets on the bed.
At 40 degrees: Michiganders go swimming.
At 30 degrees: British cars refuse to start
At 20 degrees: Canadians shovel off the lawn chairs, and have a pool party.
At 10 degrees: Alaskans will finally put on a Tee-Shirt, when going outside to relieve themselves.
At 0 degrees: Korean cars refuse to start.
At -10 degrees: Canadians play football outdoors.
At -20 degrees: Californians have moved to Hawaii.
At -30 degrees: Alaskans will close the bathroom window.
At -40 degrees: German cars refuse to start.
At -50 degrees: Tennessee moonshine doubles in price.
At -60 degrees: Floridians have moved to California.
At -70 degrees: Canadians dry their laundry indoors.
At -80 degrees: Polar Bears start wishing for some global warming.
At -90 degrees: Politicians start putting their hands into their own pockets.

Too funny!!

Bob Denman
11-13-2015, 10:42 AM
Salt belongs on French Fries; not our bikes! :thumbup:

Tracey@Leader
11-13-2015, 10:43 AM
One year, while residing in northern Il near the WS border, some of us decided we would ride every month for a year. I think it was single digits in Dec. Chilly, but had gear from my time in AK. Some of the local riders were not so equipped and didn't enjoy the experience as much. Anyhow, checked the square, got the tee shirt, don't have to do that any more! :)

Can take that one of the bucket list. :)

Tracey@Leader
11-13-2015, 10:46 AM
I bought heated gear two years ago and have worn it one time. If I have to "wire-up" to go ride, I'm sitting my butt next to the fire place.

I hear ya!!

David2562
11-13-2015, 11:29 AM
Love my Gerbings heated clothing.

grumpybob
11-13-2015, 11:46 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=119707&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=119708&stc=1 Good night Spyder, Good morning Yamaha. Once salt is put on the roads the Spyder goes to sleep. The Spyder is probably done for the season now, as I am laid up with my leg, hopefully my leg will be ready by Dec. 21, '15 when the trails open up here in CNY.

Malathion
11-13-2015, 01:12 PM
Sitting in my dining room this morning watch noumerous bikes drive by. It's Friday the 13th which usually means hundreds of motorcycles going by my home on the way to PortDover On. This morning their are far fewer, probably due to the temps and the chunky state of the precipitation. I decided to be brave and experience these weather conditions myself. After suiting up and unwrapping my f3 I hit the road, the 50 kph winds quickly turned my extra outerwear into a sail, the feeling of being lifted off the seat was a good indication to reduce my speed. The initial cold only lasted about five K ,after which I didn't feel it anymore. The ride home was with the wind, almost felt as if I was ryding in a vacum. This was the shortest Ryde I ever been on. So what I learned is that I still don't know how to start a new paragraph on this iPad thingy ; I really need to buy a windscreen,windshield ; those Dover dudes are tough. Hope everyone is safe out there this weekend and has fun.

FieldTester
11-13-2015, 01:30 PM
We are trying to get a ride in this Sunday. Forecast is for some flurries Saturday evening, hopefully not enough for salting in the hills and we will be good to go. Temp to start out in the high twenties going to high forties. My neoprene face mask is a must now with my half helmet. (Still cannot get use the full face but probably will end up with one for next season)

The heated hand grips are a joy - so glad to have them now !

Bob Denman
11-13-2015, 01:50 PM
Roscoe Diner at 11:00am? :dontknow:

FieldTester
11-13-2015, 02:00 PM
Roscoe Diner at 11:00am? :dontknow:

That's the plan buddy : http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/group.php?discussionid=2213&do=discuss

Saluda
11-13-2015, 02:11 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=119708&stc=1
Good night Spyder, Good morning Yamaha. Once salt is put on the roads the Spyder goes to sleep. The Spyder is probably done for the season now, as I am laid up with my leg, hopefully my leg will be ready by Dec. 21, '15 when the trails open up here in CNY.

Hope the healing goes quickly (even though you ride a Yamaha).

Bob Denman
11-13-2015, 02:13 PM
Nancy is here right now; we're kicking it around... :thumbup:

grumpybob
11-13-2015, 03:28 PM
Hope the healing goes quickly (even though you ride a Yamaha). Thanks.

900Dave
11-13-2015, 08:01 PM
We didn't use heated gear last year in Quebec when it was 40 below I don't think we need it on the Spyder when it is 20 or 30 above. We have broken out some of our snowmobile gear we just use a lot less layers underneath. This picture was of the second coldest night. The next night was about 10 degrees colder.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=119742&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=119743&stc=1

easysuper
11-15-2015, 11:28 AM
We use heated gear, The bride uses heated gloves with mitts, heated jacket, heated pants, and some times Klim snowmobil boots, somtime she wears her insulated rudder boots that match her jacket because she likes to accesorize. I just use a heated vest if it is colder than 40 for longer rides, we just came off a 5 day 1465 mile ride up through California along the west side of the Sierras through the Sequoias and Yosimite Park never below 3,000 feet and often at 7,000. we would start out in the morning when it was about 20-30 degrees and it never got above 50 the entire trip.
I wear a pair off Dannner insulated boots that keep my feet warm and dry. We had to lay over in Lakeview OR. because of some snow for one day.
But the entire trip was beautiful and fun.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=119826&stc=1 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=119827&stc=1

Motorcycledave
11-15-2015, 12:21 PM
I roll up the windows and turn on the heater.
I am at the age where I have become a fair weather rider.
Dave

So its cold here in Minnesota!! But I am not ready to stop riding!!! Have put together some tips for how to enjoy the chilly weather. Would love to hear yours!

http://www.leadermotorcycle.com/blog/the-secret-to-enjoying-cold-weather-rides/

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=119653&stc=1

Tracey@Leader
11-17-2015, 06:26 PM
First gear heated jacket liner under leather jacket, heated pants liner under fleece lined jeans, (first gear purchased from Bajaron), a headslick helmet liner under full face helmet, toe warmers in the boots, good gloves, and heated hand grips and cold weather doesn't bother me much.

I stop riding when they are putting salt on the roads, to hard to clean out all the cracks and crevices. I do not want rust and corrosion any my :spyder2:

Agreed!

Tracey@Leader
11-17-2015, 06:28 PM
We use heated gear, The bride uses heated gloves with mitts, heated jacket, heated pants, and some times Klim snowmobil boots, somtime she wears her insulated rudder boots that match her jacket because she likes to accesorize. I just use a heated vest if it is colder than 40 for longer rides, we just came off a 5 day 1465 mile ride up through California along the west side of the Sierras through the Sequoias and Yosimite Park never below 3,000 feet and often at 7,000. we would start out in the morning when it was about 20-30 degrees and it never got above 50 the entire trip.
I wear a pair off Dannner insulated boots that keep my feet warm and dry. We had to lay over in Lakeview OR. because of some snow for one day.
But the entire trip was beautiful and fun.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=119826&stc=1 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=119827&stc=1

Oh my goodness! This is amazing!!! What a trip, thank you so much for sharing this.

Tracey@Leader
11-17-2015, 06:38 PM
We didn't use heated gear last year in Quebec when it was 40 below I don't think we need it on the Spyder when it is 20 or 30 above. We have broken out some of our snowmobile gear we just use a lot less layers underneath. This picture was of the second coldest night. The next night was about 10 degrees colder.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=119742&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=119743&stc=1

Okay, so I am going to have to stop complaining...

Pandy
11-17-2015, 08:38 PM
With what we consider winter here in SC cannot even come close to what is encountered up north. That being stated, when we travel, it's the Gerbings jacket liners, the windproof armor, and grip muffs fore and aft. Good thing we have a trailer for carrying gear for most climates we might encounter. That's why Pyder has 56K on the clock and counting.
Patrick

hecoon
11-17-2015, 08:52 PM
it was so cold here today I almost didn't ride. damn 80 degree cold

Bob Denman
11-18-2015, 08:00 AM
80? :shocked:
I think that IU could almost hate you! :D
34 here today, and it's going to rain for two days... :gaah:
I may just have to fill the bike up one last time, and put it to bed... :yikes:

Trekster
11-18-2015, 09:04 AM
If you are going to ride in the cold weather - you will need layered clothing and/or heated "thingys" on the Spyder.

As for me, here in the Midwest, I already got some extra riding time here in November; miles that I don't usually get. :ohyea:

Now with rain the last few days, and the 15-day forecast indicating possible "white fungus" and high temps in the mid-30s - I bit the bullet yesterday and put the tender and the winter cover on the :spyder2:. I have the clothing for the cooler temps, but the brine on the streets turns all vehicles yucky white - not to mention the corrosion properties.

We're supposed to have a somewhat milder Winter this time, so perhaps it will end early too. :pray:

Think Spring....:coffee: