PDA

View Full Version : Harmonic Belt Vibration Gone!

gpops
11-11-2015, 06:36 AM
Spyder Lyter and I had the Smooth Spyder Belt Tensioner installed on our 2015 RT Limited yesterday by Outlaw Engineering in Edgewater, FL. We both had a disturbing harmonic belt vibration beginning at 3800 RPM through 4050 RPM which BRP couldn't fix. We tested the tensioner at interstate speeds (68-80 MPH) and the vibration is gone; its like riding on a cloud. After enduring this annoying vibration since the RT-L was new, what a relief it is to have it gone. We would never tolerate this kind of vibration in an automobile, why then does BRP think its ok in a Spyder that costs more that most automobiles?

SailnDive
11-11-2015, 07:57 AM
Is this a common problem to all belt drives. i,e., do Harleys do this? I've noticed a small vibration in my 2014 RT but I will have to check more closely to pin down the exact rpm where it occurs.

gpops
11-11-2015, 08:15 AM
Is this a common problem to all belt drives. i,e., do Harleys do this? I've noticed a small vibration in my 2014 RT but I will have to check more closely to pin down the exact rpm where it occurs.

Don't know. I had a 2013 RT-L and did not have the belt vibration problem, however the '13 ran at a much higher RPM than the '15 and this vibration problem seems to be related to the RPM. Many of the owners of the 2015 RT who I have spoken to, have the vibration problem.

Devious56
11-11-2015, 09:00 AM

I've had a good number of belt driven Harleys and none of them had a harmonic vibration, but their belts are quite a bit shorter than the one on the Spyders. I've only had my Spyder a short while but had the belt tensioner installed at Spyder Comfort during Biketoberfest, with the same results mentioned in this thread. My vibration was around 4,000 rpm, which happens to be highway speeds, and this past weekend I took a trip from Jacksonville Florida to Palm Bay Floirda, about 200 mile one way. I was able to sit my speed control on 3,950 rpm, just about 75 mph for the whole trip with just about no vibration. This is on a 2015 RT Limited which has the 1330 cc motor, I'm sure the twin cylinder motor is different.

David

OverHillAndDale
11-11-2015, 09:12 AM
I've heard the same story - the vibration is due to the length of the Spyder belt which is longer than what is found on Harley's or perhaps most any other bike.

Do any of you mine sharing what you paid for the installation?

Bob Denman
11-11-2015, 09:16 AM
I've had a good number of belt driven Harleys and none of them had a harmonic vibration, but their belts are quite a bit shorter than the one on the Spyders.
:agree: There's nothing wrong with the bikes; it's just due to the length of the belt... :banghead:
Mine will set up a buzz at 75 mph, so I simply choose to avoid riding that fast.:thumbup:

Devious56
11-11-2015, 09:25 AM
I've heard the same story - the vibration is due to the length of the Spyder belt which is longer than what is found on Harley's or perhaps most any other bike.

Do any of you mine sharing what you paid for the installation?

I had Mike Loescher at Spyder Comfort order the belt tensioner from Smooth Spyder, and due the install on the last Saturday of Biketoberfest, along with a BajaRon sway bar & heim joints, and didn't get a break down on the labor charge, but feel it was reasonable, maybe around $50.00. I was going to do the install myself, but after watching am glad I paid to have it done while eating and socializing at Mikes place. I also met Fred (SpyderLyter) there and had him do a little light mod for me, it was really a good day.

David

BilltheDiver
11-11-2015, 10:22 AM
Fred (SpyderLyter) is a good guy! I had him install the Signal Dynamics 3rd brake light, then a couple of really bright flashing rectangles either side of the license plate, and the side marker lights on my saddlebags the Friday of Biketoberfest. His work is outstanding and his labor charges were quite appropriate in my opinion. It was a good visit!

Sorry to sidetrack the thread

Chupaca
11-11-2015, 11:25 AM
the spyder has the longest belt in this industry (not sure about the autocycles). This has and always will be an issue and the F3 belt is even longer...:yikes: they have a dual tensioner for them upper and lower. Many vibrations will come from ryding styles and locations. I'm glad yours have been cleared up. :2thumbs: