PDA

View Full Version : can bus

Allensr
11-08-2015, 10:11 PM
Does the 2014 STS use a can bus. BRP has advised my dealer they do not support non BRP trailers. I have blown two controllers and no one really knows what to do. Many ideas but no real knowledge. I'm want to install a standard 5 wire to 4 wire controller but need to know if the wires to the lights are CAN BUS.
Thanks Allen

cuznjohn
11-08-2015, 10:15 PM
yes it does, but can't help you with the wiring

billybovine
11-08-2015, 10:30 PM
The BRP trailer harness has no connection to the CanBus. In fact the power isolation converter that BRP uses is a standard Hopkins model, You can splice in another off the shelf one.

The problem still exists and you have to fix your trailer first or you will just kill another one.

Allensr
11-09-2015, 11:21 PM
billybovine any ideas of what type of problems I should check for? All of the lights are LED they each have their own ground. All grounds are connected together and come out as the white wire on the connector. The trailer does not use the chassis for ground. All lights work if I power them from a separate 12 vols source. I can't think of any other thing that could cause the issue.
Allen

billybovine
11-10-2015, 12:06 PM
billybovine any ideas of what type of problems I should check for? All of the lights are LED they each have their own ground. All grounds are connected together and come out as the white wire on the connector. The trailer does not use the chassis for ground. All lights work if I power them from a separate 12 vols source. I can't think of any other thing that could cause the issue.
Allen

The converter cannot stand turning on/off rapidly for a long period of time. Normal flasher/turn signal rates are far too slow to be a problem. What I am talking about is a intermittent connection causing the lights to flicker on and off. So a broken wire with ends still touching, bad crimp connection or cold solder joint. Sorry, really hard to find problem. Hook up to the 12V power source again and start bouncing the trailer around. Also flex the harnesses looking for the lights to flicker.

Allensr
11-10-2015, 07:11 PM
thanks. i will turn trailer on it's side and test all wiring. I have also bought a Modulite controller and will install that in place of the BRP one. There is a trailer shop in Austin that I talked with and they also suggested I run separate 12 volt lines, both + and _ directly from the battery, fusing the + line.
Thanks for all the help.
Allen