PDA

View Full Version : Missed the brake, almost crashed.

SailnDive
11-08-2015, 10:46 AM
My added seat cushion made it easier to get my foot on the brake but I still missed it as I was approached a stopped school bus. It took a few seconds to get my foot back up and on the brake pedal and I pulled out to the other lane to keep from hitting the bus. I know it pissed the bus driver off a little, so I stopped at the bus barn to explain what had happened. I need to modify the brake somehow to make getting onto the brake easier for me. Damn this gimpy leg! Nothing wrong with the pedal for most folks I guess...just a guy with screws affecting leg movement. This is the first time to miss the pedal tho and maybe never happen again.

cuznjohn
11-08-2015, 11:00 AM
you have a couple of options, one being the brake pedal extension. you remove the smaller brake pedal and install the larger one, it's a little bit longer and helps for your foot finding it easier. the second one is for the hand brake. it is very expensive but well worth it, i have one on my 14 rt and love it. both are sold by the vender's on this site

SailnDive
11-08-2015, 11:11 AM
A hand brake is on my list of winter projects but I'm getting pretty comfortable with the foot brake now and just missed it this time.

murphybrown
11-08-2015, 11:26 AM
My added seat cushion made it easier to get my foot on the brake but I still missed it as I was approached a stopped school bus. It took a few seconds to get my foot back up and on the brake pedal and I pulled out to the other lane to keep from hitting the bus. I know it pissed the bus driver off a little, so I stopped at the bus barn to explain what had happened. I need to modify the brake somehow to make getting onto the brake easier for me. Damn this gimpy leg! Nothing wrong with the pedal for most folks I guess...just a guy with screws affecting leg movement. This is the first time to miss the pedal tho and maybe never happen again.

That was my main concern on my first RT..that would have :yikes::yikes: the crap out of me!!! .that brake was way to small for me to have confidence...
.TricLED (Reggy Tan) sells a larger version...that for me is awesome.
Only thing at first I had to make sure I wasn't brushing it..touchy nanny wants to put you into limp mode if I allow that to happen.
Yep start with that larger brake pad....hope that works for you.

Tazzel
11-08-2015, 11:39 AM
While my F3 was being serviced for the day my dealer offered me a Demo 2015 RT to ride around on for a few hours. Put 100 mile on it!! I did notice how the brake peddle was tuck in to close to the panelling.

Chupaca
11-08-2015, 12:27 PM
I modified my pedal to avoid reaching in for it. Though mine is an RS could work for you...and as said our vendors have options too...:thumbup:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=119403&stc=1 this one is homemade...

Bob Denman
11-08-2015, 01:45 PM
Get yourself a bigger pedal from TricLEDs! nojoke

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=119426&stc=1

cuznjohn
11-08-2015, 02:14 PM
the hand break is the way to go, trust me i love it

GeorgiaBill
11-09-2015, 06:07 AM
Thanks, all. I worry about that big old boot that may be wet and slippery on that little brake pad.

I'll start looking for options.

-Bill

GeorgiaBill
11-09-2015, 06:24 AM
Ordered the brake pedal from Tricled.
http://tricled.com/Pedals___Mudflap.html

Thanks all.
-Bill

Bob Denman
11-09-2015, 08:01 AM
:congrats: You'll love it! :thumbup:

trikermutha
11-09-2015, 09:06 AM
I always thought about adding a handbrake..Some times I kick back and I don't move as fast as I use to get my foot back down to the brake pedal..:shocked:

Bob Denman
11-09-2015, 09:20 AM
:lecturef_smilie:Situational awareness... :shocked:

trikermutha
11-09-2015, 09:31 AM
Yep along with zoning out to the road and surroundings and tunes. :thumbup:

TimC
11-09-2015, 11:06 AM
The factory pedal on my 2015 was too small, especially when trying to find it when coming from the highway pegs. Added the TricLed pad and love it. One problem... the pad kept coming off. Added double sided tape to the metal pedal, put the pad back on. Problem solved.

robmorg
11-09-2015, 03:09 PM
Wasn't there some sort of problem with installing the larger brake pedal on the 2013 and newer RT's? I seem to recall some discussion on that in the past, but cannot find mention of it now. If memory serves (and it seldom does), I think adding some sort spacer was required, but I could be wrong. Can someone shed some light on this please?

Devious56
11-09-2015, 05:56 PM
I got my larger brake pedal (2015 RT Limited ) from Mike at Comfort Spyder in Edgewater, Florida and it was just unbolt the stock one and bolt on the new one. Great change, and I can even put my foot under the pedal which makes it nice moving your foot around. It is still a bit difficult to find it coming off the highway pegs, but then, I don't use them in traffic, only on the open road.

David

Magdave
11-09-2015, 05:58 PM
Get yourself a bigger pedal from TricLEDs! nojoke

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=119426&stc=1

:firstplace:

ARtraveler
11-09-2015, 05:58 PM
Another vote for the brake pedal extender. I have them on both my :spyder2::ani29:

Magdave
11-09-2015, 06:00 PM
Wasn't there some sort of problem with installing the larger brake pedal on the 2013 and newer RT's? I seem to recall some discussion on that in the past, but cannot find mention of it now. If memory serves (and it seldom does), I think adding some sort spacer was required, but I could be wrong. Can someone shed some light on this please?
The spacer comes with it I am not sure if it always has but is needed especially if you have Seal FB's.:thumbup:

Bob Denman
11-09-2015, 06:27 PM

There were some concerns that the larger pedal would "touch down" on the floorboard, before the breakaway safety feature had a chance to engage...
I've checked mine, and the board drops JUST before the pedal is ready to touch it!
No problem! :D

flaggerphil
11-09-2015, 09:49 PM
I don't have any problems with the foot brake, but if I did I'd get a hand brake installed right quickly.

robmorg
11-10-2015, 01:58 PM
:agree: Good advice, IMHO.

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-10-2015, 10:55 PM
I had just the opposite problem the other day. I was driving my ATV around the neighborhood when I needed to hit the brake quickly. My foot is conditioned to the Spyder brake and I missed the ATV brake pedal! :banghead: I didn't even have hand brake reaction left in me any more! Forgot there are two of those on the ATV! :banghead: Fortunately no disaster ensued!