PDA

View Full Version : Smoking some cheese and other goodies.

mowin
11-01-2015, 01:36 PM
Decided it was cool enough to smoke some cheese. Put 6 lbs of extra sharp, 2 lbs of pepper jack, and 2 lbs of cabbot chedder and bacon..
Using apple pellets. I'll smoke for 4 hrs. Then let the peices dry in the fridge overnight before vac packing them for the 4-6 week mellowing rest.
Decided to do a dozen hard boiled eggs for egg salad and deviled eggs.

Also got 3 chickens and a pastrami on the pellet smoker. I'll vac pak these in lunch sized portions

BajaRon
11-01-2015, 01:46 PM
I was wondering how you keep the end lit? Mine keeps going out!

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtCIzIgWaCLhaVWvVYGfDGLY9wfc53k cmPi-t_XXhD-wt1eO7Pug

pegasus1300
11-01-2015, 01:51 PM
Decided it was cool enough to smoke some cheese. Put 6 lbs of extra sharp, 2 lbs of pepper jack, and 2 lbs of cabbot chedder and bacon..
Using apple pellets. I'll smoke for 4 hrs. Then let the peices dry in the fridge overnight before vac packing them for the 4-6 week mellowing rest.
Decided to do a dozen hard boiled eggs for egg salad and deviled eggs.

Also got 3 chickens and a pastrami on the pellet smoker. I'll vac pak these in lunch sized portions

Do you have a particular brand of cheese you like to use. I have never smoked cheese before and this sound really intereswting. What temperature do you try to maintain?

mowin
11-01-2015, 02:29 PM
Do you have a particular brand of cheese you like to use. I have never smoked cheese before and this sound really intereswting. What temperature do you try to maintain?

Whatever is on sale. As far as temps, if your pit temps go over 80*, the cheese will start to soften. Around 90* and you've got a mess. I only smoke cheese durring the cooler months. I use this smoke generator. .https://www.amazenproducts.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=AMNPS5X8

oldguyinTX
11-01-2015, 03:52 PM
I put a 5 pound side of wild salmon on my smoker at 2 this afternoon. Using mesquite wood at 250 degrees. I lightly salt the salmon with very fine sea salt, then smother it with brown sugar. Once the brown sugar has all melted, it goes in the smoker and I baste it with butter and bourbon. It will be ready around 7 tonight. Give it a try, you might like it. I also use various other woods such as pecan, apple, hickory, alder and cherry. Each adds its own unique flavor.

mowin
11-01-2015, 04:00 PM
I put a 5 pound side of wild salmon on my smoker at 2 this afternoon. Using mesquite wood at 250 degrees. I lightly salt the salmon with very fine sea salt, then smother it with brown sugar. Once the brown sugar has all melted, it goes in the smoker and I baste it with butter and bourbon. It will be ready around 7 tonight. Give it a try, you might like it. I also use various other woods such as pecan, apple, hickory, alder and cherry. Each adds its own unique flavor.

That sounds so good.. Friend of mine has promised me some steelhead when he heads up to lake Ontario in a few weeks. He's got his own drift boat, and I guess does well up there.

mowin
11-01-2015, 08:48 PM
Some finished pic's.... if you never tried making pastrami from a corn beef, do try it... it's soo good..

pegasus1300
11-01-2015, 09:01 PM
I wanna try that cheese. I'm gonna have to modify my smoker to only keep it at 80*

bruiser
11-01-2015, 09:02 PM

Keta Kandy.

SDM
11-01-2015, 09:43 PM
https://youtu.be/5ea5jKFGgUw You all are making me very very hungry!!!:bbq::chat::bbq:

mowin
11-01-2015, 10:02 PM
I wanna try that cheese. I'm gonna have to modify my smoker to only keep it at 80*

My cabinet smoker never got over 65* using the smoke generator I posted a link to earlier in this thread. Ambient temps were in the low 50's.
Remember, cheese tastes like licking a ash tray right out of the smoker. After drying in the fridge uncovered overnight, it needs to be vac sealed or wrapped very tightly for several weeks. I try to go 4 weeks to let the color bloom and the smoke mellow. 6 weeks is better...