PDA

View Full Version : BEST, tranny problems, 2012 rt-s se5 12k miles.

reverendg
10-30-2015, 05:50 AM
BEST has me angry. Bought new 2012 on may 14, 2013, supposed to have a one year BEST. Tail light LEDs went out in july, now I am told no BEST. Dealer ate the light, thanks, but where is the BEST? My receipt disintegrated with my BRP road service card when water got in the frunk, a lot of water. Never pay cash!
Now my trans went, too! Limped last 15 miles from up north. Check engine/trans displays after second gear. Slow shift into third, and all displays are inaccurate for 3,4,5 gears. Less than 2 1/2 years? I can't afford this. Harley's cost less to maintain and the company seems to care a bit at least. Never been misled or lied to about warranty by H-D.
Love my rt-s, BRP not so much. Would have bought extended warranty if it wasn't supposed to be included.
Not happy at all.

Bob Denman
10-30-2015, 07:02 AM
Tell your dealer to contact BRP, and open up a case on this.
If you bought the coverage; BRP will certainly have a record of it.
Good luck! :thumbup:

reverendg
10-30-2015, 07:24 AM
Dealer receipt says nothing about BEST. I remembered mine saying 3 yr warranty, went to get it out of frunk, realized it had to be in papers destroyed by water.
BRP wants to see my receipt.
I expected they would have had a record. Jeep can tell me how many free oil changes I have left, just had three grand in warranty work done on our jeep, $100, they even paid for the rental car.
BRP can easily certify that new 12 and 13 models sold in may 13 came with a 1 yr BEST, if they wanted. I do have the receipt from the certified check I paid with, the deposit receipt, and a copy of the manufacturer's certificate of origin. 11 miles on odometer when purchased.

Bob Denman
10-30-2015, 07:28 AM
Is the dealer saying that BRP wants to see the receipt, or did you hear it directly from BRP? :dontknow:
I don't know who your dealer is, or what sort of reputation they have... it sounds as if it's time to try and get some confirmation from other sources.
I'd also ask them why their paperwork doesn't show the extra warranty coverage that you purchased...

reverendg
10-30-2015, 07:37 AM
Is the dealer saying that BRP wants to see the receipt, or did you hear it directly from BRP? :dontknow:
I don't know who your dealer is, or what sort of reputation they have... it sounds as if it's time to try and get some confirmation from other sources.
I'd also ask them why their paperwork doesn't show the extra warranty coverage that you purchased...

I didn't purchase additional warranty, it was a promotion at the time.
BRP wants to see receipt per our email correspondence.
On our jeep I purchased extended warranty, they have it in their records, easy peazy.
I would have purchased additional warranty on Spyker but promo should have me covered until next may.

jcthorne
10-30-2015, 08:00 AM
I didn't purchase additional warranty, it was a promotion at the time.
BRP wants to see receipt per our email correspondence.
On our jeep I purchased extended warranty, they have it in their records, easy peazy.
I would have purchased additional warranty on Spyker but promo should have me covered until next may.

The difference here is that your Jeep dealer registered your extended warranty with Fiat. Had they not, you would be in the same predicament with your jeep. Your BRP dealer did not register the promotional BEST plan with BRP (and pocketed the promotional funds) so they have no record of the plan on your bike. If it was registered, it would have shown on your warranty card as well. Once its registered, I have never heard of a case where it was 'lost'

I really feel your beef here is with your selling dealer and their questionable practices. If you were promised a 1 year extended warranty as part of the sale and they did not purchase it on your behalf, they stole from you. Simple as that.

If they stole from you and you have no paperwork to back up your claim, there may be little you can do. With your bike now out of warranty, BRP will not sell you one either.

reverendg
10-30-2015, 08:52 AM
The difference here is that your Jeep dealer registered your extended warranty with Fiat. Had they not, you would be in the same predicament with your jeep. Your BRP dealer did not register the promotional BEST plan with BRP (and pocketed the promotional funds) so they have no record of the plan on your bike. If it was registered, it would have shown on your warranty card as well. Once its registered, I have never heard of a case where it was 'lost'

I really feel your beef here is with your selling dealer and their questionable practices. If you were promised a 1 year extended warranty as part of the sale and they did not purchase it on your behalf, they stole from you. Simple as that.

If they stole from you and you have no paperwork to back up your claim, there may be little you can do. With your bike now out of warranty, BRP will not sell you one either.
I never got any warranty card, I did get a road service card from BRP.
Sucks that I can't even add to it now.
Color me pissed. Not sure who is to blame. First brand new bike, and last. Likely last BRP product as well.

Highwayman2013
10-30-2015, 09:31 AM
Sounds like a dealer problem. I had a problem with the dealer where I purchased my 2012 RT not telling me when my warranty ran out, it was less than two years because of being a demo unit. I thought I had time to buy the BEST warranty but found out at another dealer my original warranty had expired so I was out of luck. The new dealer contacted BRP and I was given the chance to purchase the BEST after all. Love my new dealer for going the extra mile with BRP. I also must thank BRP.

Chupaca
10-30-2015, 09:40 AM
The LED's are both aftermarket and maintenance items and not covered. This holds true for most warranty. You had or should of had one year date of purchase on your machine from the factory. BEST would kick in after that. If BRP has no record then the dealer has failed to register it with them. You should really talk to them directly not e-mail and get a case going. Now brp has been good at helping out even when out of warranty and you do have some paperwork stated in your post. What are they saying is wrong with your transmission.?? There are many shifting problems with simple fixes....:dontknow::banghead:

pegasus1300
10-30-2015, 09:44 AM
I bought my Spyder used from a private party, but I wanted a warranty of some kind. My dealer didn't know of any options. I have a very good Can AM ATV dealer in Richfield whose Ad says he is a Spyder dealer but he isn't. I called him to see if knew of any other warranty besides Best and he offered me a warranty from Zurich.This is what he provides for his used units. You might see if you can find a similar deal. I haven't used it, hope I never do but it reads good.

As others have said your dealer either made a mistake and forgot to register your warranty or stole the money. His paperwork should show the same as yours that was destroyed. If you end up having to pay for this yourself,I think I would be finding another dealer to do the work.

reverendg
10-30-2015, 11:22 AM
The LED's are both aftermarket and maintenance items and not covered. This holds true for most warranty. You had or should of had one year date of purchase on your machine from the factory. BEST would kick in after that. If BRP has no record then the dealer has failed to register it with them. You should really talk to them directly not e-mail and get a case going. Now brp has been good at helping out even when out of warranty and you do have some paperwork stated in your post. What are they saying is wrong with your transmission.?? There are many shifting problems with simple fixes....:dontknow::banghead:
the led's are not aftermarket, your tail lights are led's.

reverendg
10-30-2015, 11:26 AM
I bought my Spyder used from a private party, but I wanted a warranty of some kind. My dealer didn't know of any options. I have a very good Can AM ATV dealer in Richfield whose Ad says he is a Spyder dealer but he isn't. I called him to see if knew of any other warranty besides Best and he offered me a warranty from Zurich.This is what he provides for his used units. You might see if you can find a similar deal. I haven't used it, hope I never do but it reads good.

As others have said your dealer either made a mistake and forgot to register your warranty or stole the money. His paperwork should show the same as yours that was destroyed. If you end up having to pay for this yourself,I think I would be finding another dealer to do the work.
Looks like tranny may be ok. Searched a few other posts and went and checked my oil. It was right at the fill line. No codes showing when I checked. No time to ride right now, argh!

ARtraveler
10-30-2015, 12:18 PM
All good advice above. It sounds like a dealer non-registration issue. My 2014 came with an extended 2 year and I promptly got a registration card from BRP.

I would talk with BRP customer service directly. Trust but verify.

pitzerwm
10-30-2015, 06:46 PM
Go to the dealer and ask for a copy of your invoice. If he says that it is lost, contact the AG in your state, they have violated the law. I can't believe it here lots of people say "sorry too bad" For less than $100 you can take them into small claims court and let a judge settle it. IMO even if you lose, you are smarter than the day before. Education is never cheap, but after a few visits to small claims, you'd be surprised how much smarter you are. You'd also be surprised how many companies see the light as soon as they are served and always pay to have the Sheriff serve them, they can't refuse the certified letter and it makes a bigger impression on them. If you win you get the $100 back too. Have as much "proof" as you can and drag anyone that can verify anything.

In small claims many times the judge uses common sense in addition to "proof". I'd also go early to SC and watch how things work and what the judge ask for and handles the other cases.

reverendg
01-25-2016, 05:10 PM
Sorry the update took so long, it has been a busy few months. Talked to BRP a lot by email, providing every document I had, including a copy of the sales receipt. Even copies of original title, etc....
They replied that since BEST was not indicated on receipt, it wasn't included. I pointed out that the dealer website then, and still, advertises BEST program, and that the documentation I provided proved my RT-S qualified. I had even received a road service card from BRP at one time. I also pointed out that no detailed charges were indicated on the receipt (freight, assembly, etc) and that I could assure them that the tryke was shipped some how and was assembled when I got it. We had negotiated a sale price, they actually had to back-figure to separate the price into purchase and sales tax.
Even with all that, BRP was not budging. Fortunately, the dealer did contact BRP and start their own case in the matter. Apparently, it took a regional rep to intervene, but the dealership prevailed and my BEST warranty was instated.
Now I just need time to get that gear sensor looked at, it is still hokey. I have til June, but don't want to wait that long. Next nice clear day I will try and get it in. Need to extend that warranty, and get a new rear tire too.
Thanks for the help everyone!

IGETAROUND
01-25-2016, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the update; glad things turned out well.:thumbup::clap::ohyea:

ARtraveler
01-25-2016, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the update; glad things turned out well.:thumbup::clap::ohyea:

:agree: x 2