PDA

View Full Version : Paint Scheme Opinions Please

Upstater
10-28-2015, 06:42 AM
I'm thinking about a new paint scheme for my 2012 RT Limited. It is currently stock Lava Bronze. I really like the Red/Black two-tone on the newer Special series. But, I'm thinking of keeping some of the Lava Bronze (i.e. top pieces like the frunk lid and trunk). I'm terrible at matching/complimenting colors. :dontknow:

So here is my real question, what would you use to compliment Lava Bronze (brown)?

Discuss... :chat:

Bob Denman
10-28-2015, 07:08 AM
The real question should be:
Which colors do YOU like the best? :thumbup:

After all; you'll be the one paying for it, and looking at it every day... :shocked:
(We trust you to pick some neat colors! :thumbup:)

PMK
10-28-2015, 07:20 AM
I do not have your answer but will suggest you have a look at some hot rod websites. Maybe Chip Foose would be a good start. Scroll around his site as there is a lot to see, just a bit tough to find.

http://www.chipfoose.com/ws_display.asp?filter=Terracuda

http://www.chipfoose.com/ws_display.asp?filter=Magnatude

There is a lot more ideas. Also it seems Chip Foose has done a lot of vehicles based on earth tones and most are very subtle but stunning.

PK

Upstater
10-28-2015, 07:24 AM
The real question should be:
Which colors do YOU like the best? :thumbup:

After all; you'll be the one paying for it, and looking at it every day... :shocked:
(We trust you to pick some neat colors! :thumbup:)

C'mon Bob... I was counting on you! I'm color blind/challenged. So I need a little help with ideas. Rusty red? Darkish gold? See... I have no clue. :gaah:

Upstater
10-28-2015, 07:26 AM
Thanks PK. Very cool site.

Bob Denman
10-28-2015, 07:27 AM
:shocked: I'm low-vision, and don't see colors well at all... nojoke

Vt. Rider
10-28-2015, 07:55 AM
I'd have the trunk and frunk removed, and CHROMED.
That would make it stand out in any crowd.

eddieshep999
10-28-2015, 08:26 AM
Maybe consider wrapping instead of paint that way it would be easier to change the colour scheme or give you more options

Bob Denman
10-28-2015, 08:40 AM
That's not a bad idea... :thumbup:
Pete can set you up with just about anything that you can dream up! :2thumbs:

http://www.wrapmyspyder.com/

PrairieSpyder
10-28-2015, 09:00 AM
If you like contrast, go with something like teal/turquise (sp?). Pin striping in that color would be more subtle. If you want to paint/wrap larger areas and be subtle, I think a champagne metallic would look good with the lava bronze.

PMK
10-28-2015, 09:40 AM
If you like contrast, go with something like teal/turquise (sp?). Pin striping in that color would be more subtle. If you want to paint/wrap larger areas and be subtle, I think a champagne metallic would look good with the lava bronze.

Teal on met brown...interesting. Myself I would lean towards a met silver or maybe gold, but not sure on gold. To me brown is tough to work with, but Chip Foose did well with it.

Chupaca
10-28-2015, 09:56 AM
load a picture of your spyder (or similar) into a paint program and try some colors...I did that with all my cars...:thumbup:

Now as for opinions.....for sharp contrast a tan or beige, for a more transition color a maroon...:thumbup:

Upstater
10-28-2015, 10:48 AM
Great ideas, thanks so much! I've considered wraps and decals but was looking for something that was different (never done before), classy, and wouldn't detract too much from a re-sale down the road. Changing color will automatically deter some from a re-sale. But, if it's done well and looks sharp it might also help. I don't intend to sell this great machine for a long time.

Keep the suggestions coming. I'm sure the discussion will also benefit others. What a great group we have here!

Highwayman2013
10-28-2015, 02:26 PM
My wife would like to get her 2012 RTL painted robin's egg blue. I have always liked teal and cream.

ARtraveler
10-28-2015, 02:51 PM
Color ranges to go with the lava brown could be a little bit of a challenge.

The following compliment the brown--Champaign, beige, gold (subdued), yellow (subdued), and crème.

I would avoid colors that clash with the brown--unless you like that particular effect.

Would be nice if you could come up with a color program that could input the colors on a :spyder2: so that you could see the actual color effect.

Good luck on your search. Please post a picture when you determine what you like.

PrairieSpyder
10-28-2015, 05:10 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=118773&stc=1

Green, Blue-green or Blue are direct complements to brown.

Another scheme would be to look at the colors next to your color on the wheel.

Deanna777
10-28-2015, 05:45 PM
Here is an other suggestion, try VHT engine metallic high temperature in SP402 BURNT COPPER( make sure you paint the plastic with primer paint first) on the dashboard. The paint can be found @ Auto Zone, or Pep Boys, Auto Advantage Stores.

I think the Burnt Copper would go well with the Lava Bronze. Look at " Deanna777, My Albums titled" Dashboard 14RTS-SE6 in Cognac.

Deanna