PDA

View Full Version : Spyder keys 101 - Info about keys - 2008-2013 only

finless
10-27-2015, 07:01 PM
Since I have been messing with keys this last weekend, I learned a lot... Much study was done here on SL and other places.

Seems many don't understand how things work so I thought I would do a video explaining it.

I don't claim to have all the info here... Might be other ways. Just what I learned and did.

Maybe it will help someone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wEN2c9x8K0

Bob

Gray Ghost
10-27-2015, 09:18 PM
The master key can also be purchased from gearhead.com (http://www.gearhead.com/can-am-529036106.html#/s/BRP//529036106/1) for about $22.

The module for the key programming is the DESS module rather than the ECM.

Ben Burped
10-27-2015, 09:48 PM
Thanks for sharing this video with us. The only way that I knew was to buy the blank from a dealer and then have them add the new key into the DESS with the master key.

finless
10-28-2015, 04:16 PM
The master key can also be purchased from gearhead.com (http://www.gearhead.com/can-am-529036106.html#/s/BRP//529036106/1) for about $22.

The module for the key programming is the DESS module rather than the ECM.

I don't believe this is true. The DESS decodes the key but I believe it then tell the ECM which stores the keys?
But the service manual is not clear on this. It simple says in my 2011 manual the ECM is involved.
I know 2014/15 is different.

Bob

Gray Ghost
10-28-2015, 09:27 PM
I don't believe this is true. The DESS decodes the key but I believe it then tell the ECM which stores the keys?
But the service manual is not clear on this. It simple says in my 2011 manual the ECM is involved.
I know 2014/15 is different.

Bob

From the 2013 manual section on DESS operation:
"SYSTEM OPERATION
When the ignition switch is turned to the ON position, a microcircuit inside the key is activated and transmits by radio wave a unique binary code to the antenna surrounding the ignition switch. The antenna, connected to the D.E.S.S. module, sends the module an electric signal.
– If the D.E.S.S. module recognizes the ignition key code, it sends a run signal to the ECM which allows engine cranking to take place.
– If the D.E.S.S. module does not recognize the code, the cluster will display BAD KEY (it can take up to 60 seconds before the message displays)"

From the programming section:
"General Information on Programming Keys
The D.E.S.S. module is programmed to recognize the digital code in the key.
A master key is used to program keys..."

On the Spyders since 2014 the DESS reads the key code and passes it to the ECM where it is compared to the stored key codes. On a 2014+ you can replace the DESS without reprogramming the keys. On the 2013 and below models if you replace the DESS module it immediately goes into the key programming mode.

finless
10-29-2015, 11:17 AM
Good info....
My 2011 service manual does not describe this at that detail unless I missed the page it's on.

But neither here nor there, the info about the keys is the point.

Bob