PDA

View Full Version : Programming keys using the dealer master key (2010-2013)

finless
10-25-2015, 10:10 AM
Well.... Now that I got my master key, I went to program 2 more keys and HOLY COW is the service manual so wrong in many areas!!!!

Seriously, the service manual is wrong all over the place with this master key programming procedure!!!

I have to think that BRP must have issued a TSB or TST on Bossweb about this. Dealers probably screwed this up many times.

I got stuck with only one working key.
I called Shawn Smoak and another guy locally that service Spyders. What I got was "Yes the old models were a pain in the rear to program, keep trying".
Well I gave up trying per the service manual and starting trying different processes until I hit it.

Bottom line this might in fact be the reason some people cannot park for more than a week or so without their battery going dead.

Don't believe me... Watch this video I shot showing all the issues. It's long winded but shows how wrong the service manual is and the issues you can have and shows how to do it properly!

Disclaimer. This is on my 2011 RTS with latest BRP software updates by BUDS from the dealer. I do not know if 2010, 2012 and 2013 also have this issue!

Please note: You cannot just "add" a key! When you program the first key it erases all other keys from the ECM. You must reprogram all other keys you have into the ECM or they will not work. If you went to a dealer to get an extra key, PLEASE check that all your keys actually do work and start your Spyder!

Key points:
1) The manual says wait for "next key" to appear. That never happens. It's NEW KEY
2) The manual doesn't tell you to press mode after turning off the key the first time. You have to!
3) The manual says you must program at least 2 keys minimum. Not true. You can program only one and get success screen.
4) The manual says if you do not program 2 keys the following will happen
- The motor will start but only run for 2 minutes this shut of. This is NOT TRUE!
- It will cause the battery to drain faster thus killing it in 1-2 weeks. THIS IS TRUE!
5) Manual says after 4th key is programmed you will get a "success" on the screen. This does not happen. On the 4th key it just boots normally.

If your Spyder cannot be parked for more than 2 weeks without the battery going dead, I seriously would go to the dealer and have him reprogram all your keys properly. Maybe show them this video so they don't screw it up! The service manual is seriously wrong! Oh an not the first time I found incorrect info in the service manual.
I swear we need access to Bossweb to get updates to it.

Here is the video.... Hope it helps someone.

http://youtu.be/a8xbXEE_ky4

Bob

billybovine
10-25-2015, 11:21 AM
It is obvious that the service manual is incomplete and incorrect as you point out. Good video pointing out how some are having problems because of the badly written manual.

Some points I would like to share.
First the master key is for 2008 to 2013 models. Not 2010 to 2012 as stated in the video.
The 2013 service manual does include the step of press and hold the mode button for 3 seconds.
The manual is clearly wrong, even in the 2013 manual that at least 2 keys must be programmed. As per your video you can end programming at 1.
The phrase "NEXT KEY" instead of "NEW KEY" is still used in the 2013 manual.
I believe you are making an assumption that you're still in programming mode after one key. I think once "SUCCESS" is displayed. Programing mode has ended. The 2013 service manual has as a last verification step step to start the engine and let run. If it runs for more than 2 minutes it is no longer in programming mode.

Cruzr Joe
10-25-2015, 11:35 AM
Finless:

I know you worked hard on this to get it straight, GOOD JOB.

Cruzr Joe

Grandpot
10-25-2015, 11:38 AM
Bob, thanks for the hard work.

Motorcycledave
10-25-2015, 12:44 PM
BOB you the man !!!!!!!!

LoveMyRyde
10-25-2015, 02:26 PM
I'm about to go and get a second key made. So, if I understand all of this correctly, after my dealer programs both keys if they both start the bike I am good to go? No battery problems related to this?

finless
10-25-2015, 04:40 PM
I'm about to go and get a second key made. So, if I understand all of this correctly, after my dealer programs both keys if they both start the bike I am good to go? No battery problems related to this?

Correct, if they do it right both keys should work and they must wait for the "success" message before they turn off the second key.

Good observation. You know you wont be left in programming mode if ALL keys the dealer programmed work. If one doesn't then they did not finish or missed getting it in time.
At a minimum two keys have to work!

Bob

Trbayth
10-25-2015, 06:25 PM
Have to give you credit Bob; you have more guts than I would. I'd be afraid that if I "just played with it" I'd end up with no keys programmed.

I wonder how badly wrong the service manual is for the 2014's?

Chupaca
10-25-2015, 07:27 PM
Determination and perservirance has won out. Thanks for hangging in there and not just sending it all packing...:bowdown::bowdown:my keys were cloned and work fine but see the problems involved when things are not rightly detailed...:thumbup: