PDA

View Full Version : Michelin tire wear

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-23-2015, 11:51 PM
Looks like it's time for me to look at replacing my rear tire, Michelin HydroEdge 225/60-15. Here's what it looks like with a little over 18,000 miles on it. I expected to get more mileage than this but I guess not. The wear across the tire is reasonably uniform. I've been running about 26 psi in it. Most of the miles have been on highways at 70 mph and above.

The tread is worn down close to even with the tread wear indicators.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=118481&stc=1

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=118482&stc=1

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=118483&stc=1

Chupaca
10-23-2015, 11:58 PM
great thread letting us know your experience with this tire..:bowdown: 18,000 is a good run..:clap:

SpyderAnn01
10-24-2015, 12:07 AM
You can't complain about 18,000 miles.

jcthorne
10-24-2015, 06:51 AM
Good service life. Sure wish that tire was still available. It was a good choice.

larryd
10-24-2015, 08:30 AM
I too would have thought a tire with a tread wear above the 800 mark would have gone way more miles than 18000...larryd

Highwayman2013
10-24-2015, 09:54 AM
I guess the spyder is pretty hard on tires. I've got 15,000 miles on my Michelin Primacy 215/60/15 with plenty of tread left.

R FUN
10-24-2015, 01:18 PM
I am running the same tire and have a little under 5/32nd of tread left from the 10/32nd new with 18,285 miles on tire riding two up always on a 2012 RT Limited. I figure I should get at least 25,000 miles before the wear bars. This has been a great tire,too bad cannot get it anymore.
Roger

Pampurrs
10-24-2015, 01:56 PM
...........This has been a great tire,too bad cannot get it anymore.
Roger

Didn't Michelin replace the Primacy with the Defender? :dontknow:

Pam

Dudley
10-24-2015, 03:02 PM
Try this to find tire.

http://www.onlinetires.com/user/vehicle/tires/allbrands.html

Looks like a great tire.

900Dave
10-24-2015, 05:12 PM
That to me is not bad mileage out of a rear tire on a Spyder. I am approaching 12,000 miles on my Kumho and I am down to 2/32 tread left. That is a lot better of course than the 7500 miles I got out of the Kenda.

I think the mileage wear on tires varies soo much due to different circumstances. Aggressive vs non aggressive rider and mostly the types of roads in your area. Concrete vs asphalt, some asphalt is very porous and some is very smooth. A lot of the asphalt roads in my area is like driving on a cheese grater and then the oil and chipped roads are even more course and they chipped the roads more this year than I think I have ever seen before.

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-24-2015, 05:53 PM
I guess the spyder is pretty hard on tires. I've got 15,000 miles on my Michelin Primacy 215/60/15 with plenty of tread left.
That's what I'm kind of wondering, but why would it be? I estimate that there's at most about 1/2 the load on the rear tire on the Spyder compared to a small car. I found a 2007 copy of the Michelin warranty. The HydroEdge was their highest mileage rated tire warranted for 90,000 miles. But comments from users with them on cars sounds like only 40,000+ was common. There are also some comments about tire plies coming apart and sidewalls cracking. Maybe the tire didn't live up to its hype and that's why Michelin dropped them. :dontknow: But if car owners get even 40,000 miles on the HydroEdge why do I get less than 20,000 miles? This leads, horror of horrors, to the question if the OEM Kenda were installed on a car would it get double the mileage it gets on a Spyder?

I wonder how much impact trailer towing has on rear tire wear. Anyone out there want to hazard an educated opinion?

My speculation at this point is there are factors affecting motorcycle tire wear that we as riders have not ferreted out yet. Suppose? :dontknow:

Peter Aawen
10-24-2015, 06:36 PM
If you are running a BRP Hitch, then the increase in unsprung weight must have a fairly significant impact on tire wear & life..... but there are many other factors that will also impact on what sort of tire life each individual rider gets!! It can be something as little as consistently running 2psi lower (or higher) than is ideal for the tire (instead of the compromise 'might suit most but should sell many' figure put on the tire placard by the vehicle maker) or the difference between garaging it inside or outside.

Waswinger, Your tread wear pics suggest you got the pressure pretty close to right - for you; which may or may not be even close to the right pressures for anyone else! But there are still many variables that might be different for you that meant your tire wore quicker than others might have found. Tread wear depends very much on things like load, riding style, how hard & when you brake, & what sort of road surfaces you ride on!! Then there's the compound of the tire & even the ambient temps & road surface temps where you ride most as well as what things you think important to expect from your tires..... all can mean you got less miles than you or others might expect; & probably suggest that you need to look for a harder compound tire if you want greater tire life, altho that may mean accepting some compromises elsewhere in their performance. Tires are all different & have different strengths & weaknesses, altho when many people start having ride & handling issues or wearing a particular type of tire out rapidly despite the wide range of individual circumstances they ride in, then it's a fairly good indicator that the tire brand/type/tread isn't all that good!!

Me, I'm running Kumho's all round now at 24psi in the rear & 22psi up front so they ride & handle the way I want them to & I've already got well over the number of miles out of them than I got out of the stock Kenda's & I'm already getting closer to double that number every day - & they still look hardly worn at all!! But I doubt I would've got as many miles out of that Michelin as you did :thumbup:

Highwayman2013
10-24-2015, 07:23 PM

Pam

Yes. They do change the tires quite often.

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-24-2015, 07:38 PM

Yes. They do change the tires quite often.
I must have not submitted my first response to this! :banghead:

The Michelin website lists both Primacy and Defender as current offerings. The HydroEdge is no longer available. It looks like the Defender replaced the HydroEdge. The 2007 warranty booklet I found lists Primacy and HydroEdge, but not Defender.

Roadster Renovations
10-24-2015, 09:52 PM
I've got 14k on my Hydroedge and it is still looking good. I run 28 in it. Hoping to get 30k, if possible.

hecoon
10-24-2015, 10:23 PM
2009 phantom kuhmo 35k 25psi

Andy Cserny
10-24-2015, 11:33 PM
new kid [tire] on the block, youall oldtimers with lots of Spyder tire experience check this one out. Looks good to me and comes in the right size to boot. Unless I see a lot of negatives on it, I will try this one out next. Thoroughly disappointed with the Kumhos and running a Michelin Defender 215/60 at the moment.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Premier+A%2FS&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=255HR6PREAS&tab=Sizes

Andy

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-25-2015, 01:56 AM
new kid [tire] on the block, youall oldtimers with lots of Spyder tire experience check this one out. Looks good to me and comes in the right size to boot. Unless I see a lot of negatives on it, I will try this one out next. Thoroughly disappointed with the Kumhos and running a Michelin Defender 215/60 at the moment.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Premier+A%2FS&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=255HR6PREAS&tab=Sizes

Andy:yikes:.....Andy , according to your LINK , that is a ...16 inch tire.....!!!!.......It has great specs, but you will have to settle for a 205/60-15...........Mike :thumbup:

jcthorne
10-25-2015, 05:15 AM
:yikes:.....Andy , according to your LINK , that is a ...16 inch tire.....!!!!.......It has great specs, but you will have to settle for a 205/60-15...........Mike :thumbup:

Beat me to it Mike. That tire not available in the Spyder size. Would have been a great choice if it were.

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-25-2015, 11:34 AM
Beat me to it Mike. That tire not available in the Spyder size. Would have been a great choice if it were.

Click on the link....then change to the 205/60-15 size, and go down to the Performance Specs " WOW "......they may be the best numbers I've ever seen for a tire recently........and YES, I know the ratings are generated by testing on cars. But I still feel it's valid....because frankly great is great....and cr*p is cr*p, the testing is equal............At least it's some type of barometer..............imho,....Mike :thumbup:

ulflyer
10-25-2015, 03:36 PM
I like seeing pics of tire wear and find it useful for future selection. The Pirelli shown has 5mm in center and 6mm out side. I try to keep pressure at 24 lbs. One up rider, mostly
open road and interstate, no trailers. This is my third Pirelli, previous two were on my '11 RT. This on will see me thru till spring; not a lot of riding in winter. I believe it will make 20K but its getting close to wear bars.