PDA

View Full Version : AIR PANEL REMOVAL FOR AN INSTALL

MelloYelloSpyder
10-23-2015, 02:27 PM
Ok... I know I know...search the forum buy a shop manual. I have been trying to search the forum and well I just can't wait for a manual to arrive. I just received my JT air filter kit and I am trying to figure out what panels need to be removed from the bike. I have a 2013 STS. I can not figure out how to get the top panels off that kinda surround the mirrors. I took off the center panel with no problem and the air deflectors around the mirrors. I also removed a couple of screws one front and one back on that top panel but there is obviously something holding it in place as it will not budge and I am pretty sure that panel has to come off to get the air box out. Any help or pointing me to a video that shows how to remove the ST panels would be appreciated. I see all sorts of videos for the RT but nothing on how to remove them for the ST. Thanks all and happy ryding.

JayBros
10-23-2015, 03:06 PM
Start at page 40 of your operator's guide.

MelloYelloSpyder
10-23-2015, 03:12 PM

I will have another look in the owners manual but I don't remember seeing anything about removing those panels.

900Dave
10-23-2015, 05:23 PM
If you think those panels are hard to get off wait until you get to the OEM air box!! It comes out but good luck! PS, when you are about to pick up the hammer and start swinging take a deep breath and walk away for a while LOL!

Craniac
10-23-2015, 09:38 PM
There is a small Allen or torx bit that needs to come out in front. Under the headlights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MelloYelloSpyder
10-26-2015, 11:24 AM
There is a small Allen or torx bit that needs to come out in front. Under the headlights.

I saw those two screws under the headlight through the black plastic but wasnt sure if those were the last two holding them in place or if I was missing something else. I think I am going to put this off till next year as the Spyder is going back into her winter lair in about a week or so

MelloYelloSpyder
10-26-2015, 11:26 AM

Nothing in the owners manual shows how to take off the upper panels. It shows the mid and lower panels but nothing in regards to the panels I was talking about. Thanks for the help though.

Craniac
10-26-2015, 02:10 PM
You also need to remove the mirrors and the black backing panel behind the mirrors.

MelloYelloSpyder
10-28-2015, 01:42 PM
You also need to remove the mirrors and the black backing panel behind the mirrors.

Damn....how many hours is this going to take. I am beginning to think I should have just left well enough alone. So I now assume that I will have to take the whole upper part of the bike off to get the mirrors off so that I can then take off the upper panels to get the airbox out.

Craniac
10-28-2015, 03:44 PM
Remove the clear wind deflectors. Remove the tupperware on the mirror. Give the mirror a sharp upwards rap from the palm of the hand. The mirror should now be loose. Uplug the turn signal wires. Remove the four bolts that hold the mirror base.

That bolt under the headlights is a LOT more trouble.

MelloYelloSpyder
10-29-2015, 01:22 PM
Remove the clear wind deflectors. Remove the tupperware on the mirror. Give the mirror a sharp upwards rap from the palm of the hand. The mirror should now be loose. Uplug the turn signal wires. Remove the four bolts that hold the mirror base.

That bolt under the headlights is a LOT more trouble.

Thanks for all your input..I appreciate it greatly. As soon as spring starts rolling around next year I will get it done. How's the weather in Roswell? Used to live in Clovis when I was stationed at the airbase back in 87-91

Highwayman2013
10-29-2015, 02:18 PM
Since you are waiting until spring to do that air filter job think about doing the spark plugs and wires while you have the bike apart.

chiptown
10-29-2015, 02:34 PM
Wait until you put it back togeather. Trying to get the mirror to catch the top pin is one thing. But then installing the side panel to get the pins in the two rubber grommets is another thing all togeather. They keep pushing out and do not a line. Good luck still trying to get mine back togeather

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

chiptown
10-29-2015, 02:37 PM
Wait until you put it back togeather. Trying to get the mirror to catch the top pin is one thing. But then installing the side panel to get the pins in the two rubber grommets is another thing all togeather. They keep pushing out and do not a line. Good luck still trying to get mine back togeather

Thanks for all your input..I appreciate it greatly. As soon as spring starts rolling around next year I will get it done. How's the weather in Roswell? Used to live in Clovis when I was stationed at the airbase back in 87-91

Craniac
10-29-2015, 08:23 PM

Cold and rainy today.
What part of Michigan?

SpyderAnn01
10-29-2015, 08:30 PM

It can be frustrating to get that panel back in but try starting with the front pin first then bow the panel a bit to insert the rear pin in the grommet. It also helps if you spray a little Windex in the grommet holes first. Good luck.

MelloYelloSpyder
10-30-2015, 01:39 PM
Cold and rainy today.
What part of Michigan?

Live in the capital city..

chiptown
11-03-2015, 01:39 AM
It can be frustrating to get that panel back in but try starting with the front pin first then bow the panel a bit to insert the rear pin in the grommet. It also helps if you spray a little Windex in the grommet holes first. Good luck.
That worked, thanks for the help

Craniac
11-03-2015, 11:06 AM
Live in the capital city..

Have family in Owosso.

pol4950
12-16-2015, 11:20 AM
I just got mine done.. It is a bear.. but the best advice is already on this thread. walk away when it becomes a fight. I studied it for a day or two and after I looked at it from every angle.. it became simple. If you can get an extra set of hands from someone it will be much easier. Thank goodness my son has small hands.. Best of luck.

a day you don't ride> is a day you cant have back!

Flamewinger
12-16-2015, 08:46 PM
I used a Stanley tool similar to this to remove the screws under the headlight.

Those headlight screws plus screws under center panel and the mirror mount screws with mount plates all have to come out to get top panels off.

This is what you'll see when you get the panels off. That black wedge shaped thing is the air filter housing.

AY4B
12-23-2015, 06:58 AM
I used a Stanley tool similar to this to remove the screws under the headlight.

Those headlight screws plus screws under center panel and the mirror mount screws with mount plates all have to come out to get top panels off.

This is what you'll see when you get the panels off. That black wedge shaped thing is the air filter housing.

I needed one of those tools when I installed my missing belt guard. Ill have to look for one.
Is your spyder the one they show on the Corbin site? I ordered that exact setup only mine will match my current cognac color.

Flamewinger
12-23-2015, 10:19 AM
I found my tool at Harbor freight but they're available almost any hardware store.

Yes, that is my bike on Corbin's website. Corbin borrows new model bikes to configure their seats and other items they make. Corbin had my bike for over two months and the weather was fantastic.

AbNormy
12-23-2015, 01:29 PM
Costco has them for $10 right now complete with torx bits & some sockets

Norm H Austin Tx

MelloYelloSpyder
03-11-2016, 11:47 AM
Well after doing as much research as I can find about doing this I have decided to leave it up to the shop where I bought the bike to do the install on the JTAirfilter Kit. They said they would do it for about 150-200 bucks. I figure yeah it is a chunk of change but with my temper and lack of patience on doing things this is best left to those that know what they are doing. This shop treats me right and always discounts there shop rate for me as I have been a repeat customer for many years. I am going to go drop it off tomorrow and will post back once it is done.

AY4B
03-11-2016, 06:53 PM
I just spent all day trying to get to the air box to put in a K&N air filter. I finally gave up and put it all back together. What a waist of time but I did learn alot about how its all put together. I never did get those screws out under the headlights. I just let it hang there while I tried to get the air box open. It looks like you have to take the frunk off. I did not want to do that. :banghead:
Ill try doing more research and tackle it again some other time.
Is there any good videos on how its done?

MelloYelloSpyder
03-14-2016, 10:03 AM
I just spent all day trying to get to the air box to put in a K&N air filter. I finally gave up and put it all back together. What a waist of time but I did learn alot about how its all put together. I never did get those screws out under the headlights. I just let it hang there while I tried to get the air box open. It looks like you have to take the frunk off. I did not want to do that. :banghead:
Ill try doing more research and tackle it again some other time.
Is there any good videos on how its done?

Yeah I have decided not to install the JTAirfilter Kit after all so if somebody wants it I have it up for sale. Will post later in the for sale section. Just too much of a hassle to remove all of that crap. I am having the shop put a K&N airfilter in it and I am going to put a catch can on for the oil.