PDA

View Full Version : Circling Lake Okeechobee

MisterP
10-21-2015, 06:24 AM
Yesterday I did a loop around Lake Okeechobee from north to south, for no reason other than to see part of Florida I hadn't seen. It was warm and very windy, the sway bar got a workout.

The Lake is surrounded by earthworks, a testament to humans trying to control nature. In recent years persistent drought and high water use has lowered the Lake level significantly. There is now a huge construction project moving around the lake to drive pilings much deeper, due to concerns the Lake will undercut its containment.

The pictures are from Port Mayaca on the east side, where there is a boat lock and flood control dam. With low levels, I'm not sure how navigable Lake Okeechobee is anymore except to small boats. I do know that larger cruisers that used to cross Florida through the Lake and canal system are now forced to go down to the Keys to get to and from the Gulf Coast.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=118308&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=118309&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=118310&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=118311&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=118312&stc=1

LoveMyRyde
10-21-2015, 08:47 AM
I'd like to take that ride someday. Lots of wildlife there.

Chupaca
10-21-2015, 09:18 AM
did that a couple of times many many years ago. It was amazing but a bit sad to see how progress has changed it. Must still be some natural areas...:thumbup: glad you took the time and had a good ryde...:clap::clap:

MisterP
10-21-2015, 11:46 AM
Most of Central Florida is ranch land, tree farms, orchards, and a lot of sugar cane around the lake. Most people today don't realize the Everglades were once continuous from Orlando south. Most has been drained, the streams are now channels and canals, and a lot of the wetlands are gone until well south of Okeechobee. The price of progress.

Around the the town of Okeechobee on the north end of the lake are more RV and mobile home parks than I have seen around here. You can't swing a cat without hitting one. There are also a lot of small, worn out little towns along the route I took where the people appeared to be at poverty level or barely above. Not an easy life for those working in the ag industry there.

PMK
10-21-2015, 11:55 AM
I'd like to take that ride someday. Lots of wildlife there.

And so it should be. This time of year is good, except for the wind. As for the wildlife, I would not get my hopes up unless you are into birds.

With a little advance notice we could probably put together a group and enjoy the 100 and change miles abound the lake.

PK

PMK
10-21-2015, 11:57 AM
Most of Central Florida is ranch land, tree farms, orchards, and a lot of sugar cane around the lake. Most people today don't realize the Everglades were once continuous from Orlando south. Most has been drained, the streams are now channels and canals, and a lot of the wetlands are gone until well south of Okeechobee. The price of progress.

Around the the town of Okeechobee on the north end of the lake are more RV and mobile home parks than I have seen around here. You can't swing a cat without hitting one. There are also a lot of small, worn out little towns along the route I took where the people appeared to be at poverty level or barely above. Not an easy life for those working in the ag industry there.

No doubt there are a lot of RV parks. As for the wind, this time of year it can be pretty brutal but doable.

Curious where you stopped for food if anywhere.

PK

ARtraveler
10-21-2015, 01:58 PM
Those are nice dam pictures. :roflblack::roflblack:

BilltheDiver
10-21-2015, 02:23 PM
If you are into camping there is a nice park at Fish Eating Creek in the area we have stayed at.

LoveMyRyde
10-21-2015, 04:19 PM
And so it should be. This time of year is good, except for the wind. As for the wildlife, I would not get my hopes up unless you are into birds.

With a little advance notice we could probably put together a group and enjoy the 100 and change miles abound the lake.

PK

I always thought of this area as a protected, conservation area. I have never been to that part of the state. All I see on the news is how the indigionous species are being destroyed by introduced species.

PMK
10-21-2015, 08:26 PM
I always thought of this area as a protected, conservation area. I have never been to that part of the state. All I see on the news is how the indigionous species are being destroyed by introduced species.

As for the area being protected, maybe. Guess it just depends on who is talking.

The non native species, very real problem. Enough so that they have a hunt for pythons now. We have all sorts of giant iguana type lizards and cuban Jesus lizards near us.

As for the ride, let's make it happen.

PK

MisterP
10-22-2015, 05:30 AM
No doubt there are a lot of RV parks. As for the wind, this time of year it can be pretty brutal but doable.

Curious where you stopped for food if anywhere.

PK

I stipped for gas at a Shell in Okeechobee that had a Subway inside. They ripped me off for using a credit card at the pump, I didn't catch the 30 cent up charge till I was already pumping.

I use Subway because they make a good chopped salad, and I am gluten intolerant so I can't eat the bread. When I ordered the salad, the younger girl behind the counter looked at me like I was from another planet. Her older colleague took care of the order. I guess they don't get too many salad orders there.

MisterP
10-22-2015, 05:36 AM

To the contrary, the area is commercial farms and ranches. Other than signs for accessing the Okeechobee trail that circles the lake, I don't recall seeing any signs for parks or preserves.

PMK
10-22-2015, 08:23 AM
I stipped for gas at a Shell in Okeechobee that had a Subway inside. They ripped me off for using a credit card at the pump, I didn't catch the 30 cent up charge till I was already pumping.

I use Subway because they make a good chopped salad, and I am gluten intolerant so I can't eat the bread. When I ordered the salad, the younger girl behind the counter looked at me like I was from another planet. Her older colleague took care of the order. I guess they don't get too many salad orders there.

My wife has gluten allergies also, Subway often does well. As for the Shell in Okeechobee, I know the place since we often stop there. May have bought fuel at the Shell there.

PK

PMK
10-22-2015, 08:29 AM
To the contrary, the area is commercial farms and ranches. Other than signs for accessing the Okeechobee trail that circles the lake, I don't recall seeing any signs for parks or preserves.

There are a bunch of parks along the way around the lake. Sort of your typical Florida park with pavilions and kids stuff. A lot of people enjoy the overlooks as was shown earlier in this topic. The lake is impressive to see. Environmentally it may have it's issues but it is old and things change with time. Same with the Kissimee River.

If you want to see preserves, a short distance from the lake is Dupuis. This is a natural area. Depending upon the month, they do allow horses, and hunting, hiking and nature watching. This is no doubt old school hammocks and grass lands. There is plenty of wildlife there. I know having cut the no longer ridden mountain bike trail years ago.

I want to say there is also another preserve on the lakes west side, need to see a map to find it.

PK

NEKSPYDER2013
12-13-2015, 06:41 PM

PK
We are in Sun City Center and would like to take the ride. Did Sebring last week. Much nicer than Vermont.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

ramblin5
12-13-2015, 07:29 PM
We are in Sun City Center and would like to take the ride. Did Sebring last week. Much nicer than Vermont.

When you say "Much nicer than Vermon" I assume you mean at this time of year, right?

NEKSPYDER2013
12-13-2015, 07:35 PM
Yes, no more Ski-doo's.

Capt_Ron
12-17-2015, 10:09 PM
The earthen works around lake Okeechobee were put there because in the 1920s a couple of hurricanes went through causing a ton of destruction. The second one killing about 2000 people. They built the dyke to prevent that kind of destruction in the future. And it works. Remember, the lake is enormous. Second largest in the US. It is one of only a few lakes that can be seen from space.

It is an eyesore, but probably still necessary. Even that is up for debate considering the current technology and monitoring.

The ride around there is nice though.

MisterP
12-17-2015, 10:36 PM
The earthen works around lake Okeechobee were put there because in the 1920s a couple of hurricanes went through causing a ton of destruction. The second one killing about 2000 people. They built the dyke to prevent that kind of destruction in the future. And it works. Remember, the lake is enormous. Second largest in the US. It is one of only a few lakes that can be seen from space.

It is an eyesore, but probably still necessary. Even that is up for debate considering the current technology and monitoring.

The ride around there is nice though.

The current dike replaced a smaller one that was breached when storm surge was created from a major hurricane that passed over the lake in 1928. And it's the largest lake fully contained in one state, too.