PDA

View Full Version : Stator problems

GASpyderRT
10-20-2015, 09:42 PM
We own a 2011 RT. I just replaced the battery 9 months ago and it is on a trickle charge when not in use. My wife and i rode it most of the day this past weekend and that night about 30 miles from home got the low battery warning when we arrived at our destination. fearing I might need a jump, I had my brother bring me his jumper cables since he was on his way there too. When we started the bike there was no battery warning and no need for a jump. a half mile down the road the warning came on so i got on the interstate and headed for home as quickly as I could. half way home all the warnings started flashing then we went into limp mode and about 10 miles from home it shut down. I called my Father to come get us and decided to try and jump it. We left the cable on there for approximately 10 minutes enough to charge the battery to hopefully get us home! we were close. it shut down again about 1/2 mile from our house so we did the same thing and made it home. I then put it on the trickle charge. what I need is step by step directions on testing the stator output. I hope its just some loose connection but I do not know how or where to test it. I assume there is a plug some where to put an ohm meter on it and what should the output be? any help would be most appreciated.

Chupaca
10-20-2015, 11:27 PM
fast check is to charge the battery, start the engine then rev her up and if it is not charging 13.6/14.0 volts you have a problem. A shop manual will best tell youhow to testthe stator and rectifier...:thumbup:

loisk
10-21-2015, 12:57 AM
Might not be the battery, take a look at this - http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?78811-2013-st-spyder-not-charging-the-battery-dropped-it-off-at-the-shop&highlight=stator

finless
10-21-2015, 08:54 AM
As was stated, if the voltage at the battery is reading 13V or higher when the engine is running and rev'ed up to about 3000 RPM, then the magneto is working.

What battery did you put in 9 months ago?

I had replaced mine with a -BS (Bottle filled) after market replacement (not made by Yuasha) and it died in 7 months!
I then got a real Yuasha non-BS battery and have since been doing well.

You can read this story in this post below.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?77494-Replacing-the-battery-on-a-2010-2012-RT&highlight=battery

Bob

billybovine
10-21-2015, 09:02 AM
It is clear from your description the charging system is not working. Easy to confirm with a running/not running voltage check.
Check the main charging system fuse. If that's not it. It is highly likely the generating coil in the stator has shorted out. That is based on what others have experienced. But there are other possibilities. The tests that are outlined in the service manual need to be done to narrow it down to the actual problem.

GASpyderRT
10-21-2015, 12:28 PM
It is clear from your description the charging system is not working. Easy to confirm with a running/not running voltage check.
Check the main charging system fuse. If that's not it. It is highly likely the generating coil in the stator has shorted out. That is based on what others have experienced. But there are other possibilities. The tests that are outlined in the service manual need to be done to narrow it down to the actual problem.
Thank you for all your replies. I will have to get a Shop Manual!

GASpyderRT
11-10-2015, 10:45 PM
Ok My wife and I when we purchased the RT also bought an extended warranty from Zurich through the dealership in Idaho. So I loaded it up an took it to Statesboro polaris in Statesboro Georgia two weeks ago. I haven't heard anything from them and every time I called the service manager was out. I decided to drop by there today and ask them what the diagnosis is on the charging system. He couldn't give me an answer except to say they are leaning towards it being the Battery. I politely told him if that is the case then I will return later to get the bike and remove the battery and take it back where I purchased it because it still under warranty. then he said it may not be the battery! Ok my question to you all is how difficult is it to test the Battery and the charging system. I checked the battery with my multimeter and held the same volts 12.8 for several minutes. Then I started it and revved it up to 3000 rpms and put the multimeter on the battery connections and it started dropping. Ok that took all of five minutes. Please help understand am I missing something? is it really hard to test the Charging system (stator)?

loisk
11-10-2015, 11:55 PM
Two weeks and they haven't even "looked" at the battery ?? huh!
Seems they don't want the work... and/or can't see as far as future 'paid' work / sales. Very short-sighted.
BTW my husband checked out voltage etc on my ST battery in about 5 minutes ... took him that long to determine it wasn't the battery (this was after we bought & installed a new battery and still had problems - oh well, now we check battery condition first, rather than just assume that's the problem)
Our dealer rescued me from the side of the road - problem was the stator had fried itself - all fixed now.