PDA

View Full Version : Poor man air conditioner is done and works great

bluestratos
10-20-2015, 06:22 PM
I use a high power fan to help keep cool when I hit stops lights or stop and go traffic. I often pour water over my self when it is really not out to help cool while moving. I got to thinking, why could I not just inject water into the fan stream and improve the cooling effect.

I mounted a small water pump down low inside the wasted space on the left side behind the snap off access cover and connected it to a camel back water bag in my frunk. I then plumbed this up and into the fan with a mister nozzle so it blows a very fine mist and voila, works perfectly. I have a small valve in line that I can reach to turn the amount of water up or down to control how much water I use. It is drawing about 10 to 15 oz. per hour so my 3 liter tank lasts a good three hours.

I wired it up to 2 shallow rocker switches up under the dash overhang, the first one turns on the fan and if the fan is running I can then run the pump an option but not the other way around so I don't waste water.

I put in ice to see if it improves the cooling effect and yes, but not a great deal more than the ambient temp water, I think it warms up in the air stream due to the atomization being so fine.

spacetiger
10-20-2015, 09:47 PM
Good job... where are the pics!

Chupaca
10-20-2015, 11:22 PM
have often thought of that but for the radiator and hooking the pump to the fan motor...that way the water only flows when the fan is on. But your set up sound more refreshing...:2thumbs::clap:o

Bob Denman
10-21-2015, 07:03 AM
:shocked: If you need such an active system to enjoy motorcycling; why not just take the car? :dontknow:
I'm sorry... I don't mean this to sound mean... but Jeepers! :opps:

Pirate looks at --
10-21-2015, 08:51 AM
Wish I had that kind of time! Great idea, but I think I would rather be Ryding in heat during the time it needed to think it up and mock it up!now your going to have to work on windshield wipers for your face shield!

Pirate looks at --
10-21-2015, 08:53 AM
I have the Twin998 AC unit on our motorcycle. I set it at 75 and I am as cool as a cucumber!:roflblack:

Pirate looks at --
10-21-2015, 08:55 AM
.....and I hear that they have improved this unit with the Triple1330 AC unit. It provides the same cooling effect but uses less energy to do it!:roflblack:

trikermutha
10-21-2015, 09:01 AM
Man that sounds like a fog machine..:p:roflblack: ..Sounds like you are all good now..:thumbup:

Mikel53
10-21-2015, 09:28 AM
What part of Hell are you riding in?

MRH
10-21-2015, 09:34 AM
I haven't been able to get the damn A/C unit working on my RT since the day I bought it!

r1100rider
10-21-2015, 10:19 AM
I use a high power fan to help keep cool when I hit stops lights or stop and go traffic. I often pour water over my self when it is really not out to help cool while moving. I got to thinking, why could I not just inject water into the fan stream and improve the cooling effect.

I mounted a small water pump down low inside the wasted space on the left side behind the snap off access cover and connected it to a camel back water bag in my frunk. I then plumbed this up and into the fan with a mister nozzle so it blows a very fine mist and voila, works perfectly. I have a small valve in line that I can reach to turn the amount of water up or down to control how much water I use. It is drawing about 10 to 15 oz. per hour so my 3 liter tank lasts a good three hours.

I wired it up to 2 shallow rocker switches up under the dash overhang, the first one turns on the fan and if the fan is running I can then run the pump an option but not the other way around so I don't waste water.

I put in ice to see if it improves the cooling effect and yes, but not a great deal more than the ambient temp water, I think it warms up in the air stream due to the atomization being so fine.thanks for doing the experiment for me I have been thinking this exact same thing for my motorhome it already has the water tank and pump I was was going to put a nozle in front of the raditior and use a switch just for those few super hot days and long climbs I was sure it would work thanks

WA5VHU
10-21-2015, 01:15 PM
On my RS:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=118335&stc=1

On her RT:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=118336&stc=1

These little fans are screamers and put out about the same amount of a concentrated column of air as a vacuum cleaner reversed, like they used to keep a beach ball up in the stores. For hot days we turn them on when in stop and go traffic. With the modular helmet up and jacket slightly unzipped it cools the face and upper chest nicely.

ARtraveler
10-21-2015, 01:34 PM
Creative idea. :bowdown:

Bob Denman
10-21-2015, 04:49 PM
Here's a system that is available for sale...

http://entrosys.com/

2Paw
10-21-2015, 04:59 PM
BUT if I can ride without it in the Texas summer heat and the folks in AZ can ride in the heat they have, we may just have to refer to as a wuss:roflblack:

Please don't take offense at this that is not the way it's meant.

bluestratos
10-21-2015, 06:34 PM
-Lol,

I expected some of the comments, lol. I am diabetic and very heat sensitive now. When the outside temp hits 80 I am very uncomfortable unless riding at higher speeds with the screen down. When I hit a town or worse, stop light I cook. The fan I used is a high output truckers fan so at lower speeds I can really feel it. I am tempted to buy the $1,500 air conditioner but it takes up a lot of space and this unit cost me less than $50.

Those of you that live in warm climates probably are used to it, but around here, our typical temps are in the 60-70s. So why suffer when I can spend some fun down time designing things to improve my riding.

Bob Denman
10-22-2015, 06:49 AM
:D So am I!
Fifty years as a Type One... :thumbup:

2Paw
10-22-2015, 08:34 AM
I also am Diabetic, Type II. Yes, hot is relative. A few years ago I spent most of the summer in Endicott, NY in a motel, for business. One day a friend and I were on the balcony enjoying the cool weather, but overheard the maids complaining how hot it was.:D It was 85 degrees.

OverHillAndDale
10-28-2015, 03:35 PM
I'm also a Type 1. I wonder if I can get my medical insurance to pay for this???? :thumbup: It looks to me like a good way to approach a sticky problem.

On a different forum, someone wanted to close in and air-condition his Spyder. It makes me think of just how far we farklers may go....

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=118768&stc=1