PDA

View Full Version : Can Am reliability rating

Rogue Hawk
10-20-2015, 09:40 AM
Not so good. I should probably learn Zen and motorcycle repair

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/04/who-makes-the-most-reliable-motorcycle/index.htm

trikermutha
10-20-2015, 09:43 AM
I am sure those ratings a off a bit..:roflblack::roflblack:

Lastchance
10-20-2015, 09:48 AM
I'm all set I have a Yamaha Star Raider as a backup

JayBros
10-20-2015, 10:24 AM
I'll bet those statistics don't reflect Harley's recent and significant recall problems.

Scotts8826
10-20-2015, 10:31 AM
Are we really comparing apples to apples? I would expect a basic two wheel motorcycle from Honda to be very reliable. The Can-Am Spyder is a much more complex machine so normally it would have more components that could fail or have issues.

PaladinLV
10-20-2015, 10:35 AM
The problem with USER SURVEYS as a basis for statistical analysis is the majority of people reporting are always the ones with problems!

AJ

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/04/who-makes-the-most-reliable-motorcycle/index.htm

Bob Denman
10-20-2015, 10:58 AM
:agree:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=118272&stc=1

Darren111
10-20-2015, 11:32 AM
Great to see Can Am was rated as one of the "10 BIG BRANDS".:yes:

Chupaca
10-20-2015, 11:38 AM
Surveys have lost their reliability as far as I am concerned. They are getting to where they are adjusted to promote certain items. Seeing as the pertainent data is not available to you how can you believe them. A reference perhaps but not knowing where it was done, how many are involved when it was taken it is pretty much not worth much..I have mine I have not problems you can guess where can am is in my survey...:thumbup:

GeorgiaBill
10-20-2015, 11:46 AM
I had a Kumho rear tire installed last month at a North Georgia dealer. Got to talking to one of the service techs and I mentioned the 42% reported failure rates in the Consumer Reports survey. His response was that he was surprised the number is that small!

After reading this survey and lurking on this forum, I had very low expectations when I decided to purchase. After 6 weeks of ownership, I am so delighted to have this machine.

-Bill

spidergreg
10-20-2015, 11:52 AM
Great to see Can Am was rated as one of the "10 BIG BRANDS".:yes:

This sure is interesting in that Can-am just hit the 100,000 total manufactured Spyders from 2007 to April 2015!
http://www.brp.com/en-us/company/news/brp-dealer-pit-bull-powersports-delivers-100000th-can-am-spyder-first-time-owner

Does make you rethink how they validate some of this survey data?

Crisis
10-20-2015, 12:07 PM
2008 GS. Need I say more.............

Shootinjimster
10-20-2015, 01:07 PM
I will speak to Ducati, BMW, and CanAm. As far as two wheelers, since 1985 when the inline fours came out for BMW, they have consistently pushed the technological line with regard to cruise control, engine electronics, ABS, and suspension. Ducati and BMW now have ABS that compensates for lean angle, headlights that "lean" into the turn for better corner illumination, electronically adjustable suspension that responds to changes in road condition in milliseconds, and millions of other dollars worth of research and development. The California Superbike School uses full power BMW supersport bikes because the electronic controls can keep the students from over riding their skill. That application of technology in a super small and lightweight package is difficult. Same thing with the Spyder. Melding automotive technology into an all weather, lightweight platform is an enormous undertaking. It was an entirely new platform, with the exception of the powertrain.

Harley always had the right idea. Market the lifestyle, not the bike. That way they condition their buyers to love the lack of technological progression. Now that they have redesigned the top end for cooling, I reckon in a couple of years we will start to see the fallout from that move. And for the new Honda Neowing, I guarantee some recalls on a boxer four hybrid unit. And if my experience with the hydraulic locking suspension on a Piaggio MP3 500 is an example, it will take a while for Honda to sort out their setup. But they will. Riders won't abandon the technological forefront because of the value they get from it. And that Neowing looks sweet.

Saluda
10-20-2015, 01:18 PM
Full report states that 45% of owners incurred no expense (not sure if they were only referring to Spyder owners) due to warranty or self repairs. To me that makes sense, it seems a lot of us have had to go back for something but a warranty takes the sting out of it. Complex and new concept, I'm not surprised or disappointed.

Rogue Hawk
10-20-2015, 01:45 PM

I thought about that. Can Am has not been in the game as long as the others. Hyundai and Kia used to be horrible. I do wonder if the F3, a second gen product, is faring better.

ARtraveler
10-20-2015, 01:58 PM
Surveys have lost their reliability as far as I am concerned. They are getting to where they are adjusted to promote certain items. Seeing as the pertainent data is not available to you how can you believe them. A reference perhaps but not knowing where it was done, how many are involved when it was taken it is pretty much not worth much..I have mine I have not problems you can guess where can am is in my survey...:thumbup:

:agree: x 2 Although the survey here is from Consumer Reports, it would be interesting to know more of the technical details that went into it. I note this was dated April 2015. I think that was before HD did the large recall--which IMO--would tend to skew the results differently than shown. I believe the HD recall was on over 300,000 bikes. That's three times as many as CanAm has produced so far.

Also, did not know that CR was into motorcycle testing.

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-20-2015, 02:32 PM

This topic was pretty well beat to death last spring when the article first came out.
:bdh:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?78984-CONSUMER-REPORT&highlight=consumer+reports

Blade
10-20-2015, 02:56 PM
I wouldn't worry about the report. All written reports are slanted in some ones favor. I have owned several motorcycles and they all have some hiccups in service. Just get out and ride and enjoy the spyder.

Blade

Deer Slayer
10-20-2015, 06:48 PM
I have a Spyder not a motorcycle.:yes:

ArachnidRyder
10-21-2015, 12:25 PM
I have a Spyder not a motorcycle.:yes:

Isn't a motorcycle designation used for two or three wheels? A Spyder certainly isn't a "motorbike", since the "bike" refers to two wheels. The vehicle designation on my states Spyder title is definitely motorcycle. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hecoon
10-21-2015, 01:40 PM
I put 76k on an 08 spyder
andi have 55k on my 09 rs

the only time I have had a major problem was the front sprocket came off and tore up the belt and I lost the sprocket
very happy owner

Big F
10-21-2015, 01:51 PM

After reading all of the responses from other Spyder owners, I have to agree with several that these type of reports can get tainted anyway CR wants it to be?? I have had a 2010, 2012 and now 2014 Spyder and am very happy to report I have NOT had one problem with any one of them!!! Happy miles of smiles.....
BIG F

CharlieIndia
10-21-2015, 02:55 PM
Buy an extended warranty, don't worry and ride!:clap::clap::yes:

ARtraveler
10-21-2015, 04:12 PM
Another CR survey came out yesterday on cars.

They rated Lexus at the top. Fiat/Chrysler bottomed out. Fiat cars considered the least reliable and followed by Jeep products. Even though Jeep is enjoying excellent sales. Chevy and Cadillac were also near the bottom. The only GM vehicle in the best of section was Buick.

900Dave
10-21-2015, 08:07 PM
Another CR survey came out yesterday on cars.

They rated Lexus at the top. Fiat/Chrysler bottomed out. Fiat cars considered the least reliable and followed by Jeep products. Even though Jeep is enjoying excellent sales. Chevy and Cadillac were also near the bottom. The only GM vehicle in the best of section was Buick.

There you go that proves it for me. CR reports are unreliable!

I have owned my Spyder for 2 years now and have had NO mechanical issues at all. I have also been driving Chevy's my entire life! Why you might ask? Because I never have to do anything to them. I just drive them! Oil/tires and brakes then trade when I am ready for a new model and nothing wrong with the old one.

Buy what you want and drive what you want. There is nothing more unreliable than Consumer Reports and the US Government!

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-21-2015, 10:54 PM
Here's the explanatory note above the table.

Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda and Kawasaki are among the more reliable motorcycle brands. Conversely, Triumph, Ducati, BMW and Can-Am are among the more repair-prone brands. That's what we found based on the feedback of more than 11,000 subscribers reporting on over 12,300 motorcycles purchased new between 2008 and 2014. The graph shows the percentage of motorcycles from each brand that we predict will need a repair by the fourth year of ownership. Our statistical model estimates failure rates for 4-year-old motorcycles not covered by a service contract and adjusts for mileage driven over a 12-month period. The mean annual mileage is around 3,800 among all motorcycles included in this analysis. Differences of fewer than 10 points between brands are not meaningful. Note that models within a brand may vary, and design or manufacture changes may affect future reliability. Still, choosing a brand with a good repair estimate can improve your odds of getting a reliable motorcycle.Text color for emphasis by me.

Fred-WA
10-24-2015, 03:33 AM
In general Consumer Reports does a fairly good job reporting on autos, trucks and motorcycles. Granted the Spyder may be complex machine but today's two-wheel bikes can be just as complexed. In my opinion the best way to improve quality is for executive management to institute measurable quality programs that are tied to executive bonuses. Even with instituting quality programs you may be looking at three to seven years to change a company's culture that improves the quality of their products. I love my Spyder and look forward to bragging rights when we move up the quality scale.

Motorcycledave
10-31-2015, 07:41 PM
Nothing has ever gone wrong with it..... it now has tons of farckels
it goes any place I want it to go rouble free, the only time I will get rid of it
is when it startes to give me trouble ... then it will be gone. by then maybe BRP will have come out with a trike that has leaning suspention..... I hope it's soon

garyraphael
11-01-2015, 04:10 PM
I love mine and glad I made the switch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

midnightbreeze50
11-08-2015, 04:56 AM
Hey , I don't care what the survey says , its the Maintenance the owner does , either himself or by the Dealer, You know what you have , the only way for it to last is Maintain it, I have a 2013 Spyder RT , and I have loved it ever since I bought it, its a lot of money to fork over for one of these , so Maintaining it is how they last, True with any kind of Ride you have.

Just my 2 cents worth

Midnightbreeze

Still Loving my Spyder :yes::yes::yes:

scott16119
11-08-2015, 09:41 AM
I would expect the 3 big foreign bike builders to be on the top of the list. They sell millions of simple small 2 stroke motorcycles all over the world. Honda has sold over 60 million Super Cubs alone.