PDA

View Full Version : Winter Storage

shakey
10-19-2015, 03:56 AM
I am getting ready to put my 2013 RT-S Spyder away for the winter. My question is this. I want to get her off the ground and up in the air for the winter. I know I can put axle stands under the front control arms, but can I leave an axle stand under the rear shock? Will it damage the shock if the axles stand is left under it for the winter months?

JayBros
10-19-2015, 06:27 AM
Look carefully at the rear shock. Your jack stand must be positioned so the weight of the Spyder is on the two ears, left and right, that extend down from the swing arm through which the shock bolt passes. Do not let the shock itself bear the weight because it will bend the bolt and make it very difficult to remove if you ever have to do so.

Bob Denman
10-19-2015, 06:49 AM
It's probably much better, to just pump up the tires, and slip a piece of wood under each of them, to get the bike off of the ground. :thumbup:

Mazo EMS2
10-19-2015, 04:06 PM
Not to be a jerk, but why do you feel the need to get it off the ground? If you support the weight on the a-arms and rear shock, you're still compressing the suspension components, much like it would be on the floor anyway. If you're trying to get weight off the suspension, you'll need a lift that lifts the bike somewhere that doesn't compress suspension parts. It's meant to be on its suspension for its lifetime anyway, what's the difference if it's stored or being ridden. Leave it on the ground on 3 pieces of plywood if you feel so inclined, and just move it a few inches once in a while to prevent flat spots.....And put a little extra air in the tires til spring....Just my two cents....:sour:

Chupaca
10-19-2015, 04:13 PM
ATV/Motorcycle lift will keep the whole thing off the ground if you feel the need. Wheel casters will keep you off the ground and allow you to push her around the garage. Ply or carpetting works as well. :thumbup:

shakey
10-19-2015, 06:16 PM
I thought it would be a good idea to get it off the ground so I would not end up with flat spots on the tires in the spring. The consensus seems to be to put the tires on peices of wood and add more air to the tires, so that is what I shall do. Thank you all for your replys to my question.